Detective Conan World
Black Demon

Worst motive(s) in Detective Conan

Of course there is no such thing as a "good reason" to commit crime, but we all know that there have been some (if not many) cases in Detective Conan that are "famous" for the culprits' motives being too unreasonable and nonsense, even for a fictional series.

So which motive(s) in DC that you think are WORST ?

This is my Top 5:

1. Find the Buttock's Mark (Canon)

Motive:

He killed people to attract the community's attention, and have some excitement in his simple daily life.

What the heck is THAT ? The first time I read this case I didn't even believe that it was the motive, thinking that there must have been something wrong with the translations. But no, there wasn't :| This one is the top on my list. And yes, this case was written by Gosho and not some random AO.

2. The Amusement Park Bungee Jumping Case (AO)

Motive:

"I killed him because he told me I couldn't act as Kamen Yaiba !"

WOW ! Just wow !

3. The New York Case (Canon)

Motive:

"... So I sealed his life as Michael. I couldn't stand to see someone else playing Michael. He's the one who killed Micheal, when he knew that I was madly in love with the Michael he played..."

What's with Gosho and the anime staff making characters kill people because of some freaking fictional characters ??? And speaking of which, here we have another one.

4. Holmes Freak Murder Case (Canon)

I don't really remember the detailed motive since I read it a very long time ago. But I recall it having something to do with...

The victims wrote/published some book about Holmes' mistakes and he couldn't stand it, so he killed them.

5. Disappearing Weapon Case (AO)

Motive:

"I killed her because she threw a hanger at me..."

Yup, this one is probably a "classic". The only reason it's only the 5th on my list is because that "motive" was only the direct cause that prompted her into killing the victim. Their relationship had became tense because of other reasons as well. This is also not as unreasonable and full of madness as the ones above IMO.

• Like 1

You said the ones I had in mind, and I can't think of anything else now.

But there's this one that doesn't really have a bad motive, it's just that...

the murderer was American and the girl he was in love with was a Japanese and she had two little cousins. She sent them to ask him what he thinks of her and he couldn't speak at the time, so wrote on a board he was carrying with him: "SHINE". And the two girls read it as romaji and thought the guy wants to kill her and tell her so, so she commits suicide. He ends up killing almost her whole family for revenge because he thought they caused her death.

You said the ones I had in mind, and I can't think of anything else now.

But there's this one that doesn't really have a bad motive, it's just that...

the murderer was American and the girl he was in love with was a Japanese and she had two little cousins. She sent them to ask him what he thinks of her and he couldn't speak at the time, so wrote on a board he was carrying with him: "SHINE". And the two girls read it as romaji and thought the guy wants to kill her and tell her so, so she commits suicide. He ends up killing almost her whole family for revenge because he thought they caused her death.

What episode?

Of course there is no such thing as a "good reason" to commit crime

I disagree. In 90% of the episodes in DC the culprits have good reasons to commit crime, while the real "villains" in the stories are the victims. I am not completely justifying crimes committed for revenge, but I think it can't be denied that in most of the cases in DC the victims are much worse than those who have killed them. They commit their crimes in cold blood, while those caught by Conan act out of despair.

What episode?

166-167

I disagree. In 90% of the episodes in DC the culprits have good reasons to commit crime, while the real "villains" in the stories are the victims. I am not completely justifying crimes committed for revenge, but I think it can't be denied that in most of the cases in DC the victims are much worse than those who have killed them. They commit their crimes in cold blood, while those caught by Conan act out of despair.

166-167

I agree, sometimes I feel bad for them, but its still wrong! :(

And it's ep 166-168, BTW.

Oh yeah, and there's this one in movie two, I think:

where the murderer was killing people according to the sequence of playing cards (K, Q, J, 10...) and as far as I remember many of them were innocent people and were killed just to fill in playing cards there were no bad people for.

I agree, sometimes I feel bad for them, but its still wrong! :(

And it's ep 166-168, BTW.

Sorry, I mistook the numbers.

And I understand it's illegal, but still, Conan treats them as if there were no difference between crimes with extenuating circumstances and those without them. I never understood why Gosho avoids plots with criminals who kill for money, power, jealousy or something like that. Without such plots, it seems that Conan doesn't contribute in any way to the social justice.

5. Disappearing Weapon Case (AO)

Motive:

"I killed her because she threw a hanger at me..."

Yup, this one is probably a "classic". The only reason it's only the 5th on my list is because that "motive" was only the direct cause that prompted her into killing the victim. Their relationship had became tense because of other reasons as well. This is also not as unreasonable and full of madness as the ones above IMO.

Agree with this no. ^_^

The Strange Gunshot.

The episode where Yuhiko and Eri met each other.

The butler killed the master of the house because the master wanted to remove the garden. Duh, it's his house he can remove whatever garden he wanted and got killed for that :angry:

I see "good reason" with the law's point of view, not morality (the victims deserve to die or not) nor literature (the motive makes sense or not; is it a good writing or not...). Which means, nothing should be considered as a reasonable motive to commit illegal acts, especially to murder somebody. While I do agree that in most of the cases, the victims are portrayed with not much better (if not worse) personality and sense of morality than the culprits, and they have done unforgivable things that make us think they don't deserve to live anymore. But morality is not everything in life. For whatever motives (be it to revenge or for money... etc.), murdering is wrong (both legally and morally) and nobody has the right to take away the life from another person, no matter how heartless and impudent that person can be. And at the same time, we should also consider the fact that the degree of which varies from case to case. Some victims' personality can be bad to the point that we want them do die immediately and think that it's "alright" for the culprits to kill them because there's no other way; while many murders, although still remain the same pattern (victims are worse than culprits), are prompted by various conflicts and disagreements that we can face everyday in real life, but killing is not the only option to solve the problem, and generosity should be considered as well. I personally think that the former is much rarer than the latter, but again, it's only my opinion.

That's why I say there's no such thing as a "good motive", even for vengeance. However, with that said, I personally do have a sympathetic feeling for some culprits (mostly from the "former kind"), because if they didn't get rid of those victims, they (or their beloved ones) might suffer from further mental/physical torments, and it looks like murder is the only way out. But since murder is illegal for whatever reason, they'll still have to take the punishment for their crime. I think that deep inside, we all know that this is the unfairness and cruelty of life, but there's nothing we can do about it, because without law, the society will turn into chaos. That's the sad part. However, I still keep my opinion that there's nothing as a "good motive", if we see it with the law's perspective. The 5 motives that I listed in my other post are worst (IMO) because even if you see them from other perspectives other than law (morality, literature...), those are still very far from being reasonable.

And of course I’m only talking about murder here, killing by accident or for genuine self-dense are different types of homicide, which rarely happen in DC.

I never understood why Gosho avoids plots with criminals who kill for money, power, jealousy or something like that. Without such plots, it seems that Conan doesn't contribute in any way to the social justice.

There exist motives other than revenge actually, though not as many, but they still exist. Most robbers in Conan kill people for money, you may also find properties-related motives in some cases that involve inheritance/business/treasure hunting as well (a fine example would be the Blue castle case, where the culprit killed a series of victims just for the family’s treasure, even though many of them are actually silenced, but the final goal is still money). I'm not sure about power but jealousy is the main motive for the roller coaster case (V1), she killed the victim because he dumped her to be with another woman. In the locked bathroom case (V20), the culprit killed her sister for stealing the one she loves. While there are still some levels of revenge, jealousy is the root motive that prompts these vengeance. Those cases are only examples by the way, there may be much more.

Murder cases in Conan also have many other kinds of motives as well, such as to silence a witness (this is quite common), or because the victim blackmailed them. The BO usually kill people who they think may become a threat to them. Some people don't even have any specific reason to kill someone, they just follow the orders or are blackmailed to do so.

• Upvote 1

First off, I hope I haven't made a topic that already exists...

Also, since this topic is about motives, watch out for any spoilers, fellow DC fans~

Anyways, this topic is about the crime motives from Detective Conan cases that you could definitely not understand or sympathize.

If you can, please include the title, a brief summary about the motive, and how you felt about it :)

For example, the motive of the beautician/hair salon owner in Lawyer Eri Kisaki's Testimony (ep. 505~506) was really absurd to me. The motive was that she hated the changed hair color of the victim, who was her ex-boyfriend, and she didn't want her or anyone else to cut it. I feel like her anger was misplaced, and using the hair color as part of the motive really made it even more "un-understandable".

Additional Note:

(Please don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that crimes are justified -- I will never be able to fully understand the reasoning behind committing a crime. However, I'm sure that some found themselves "pitying" the criminal at times and felt very sad after learning about a motive.)

I understand all of them and even sympathize with most of them: Gosho writes criminals in such a way. There are only a few in this series who have killed for money, power or jealosy etc, usually it's because the "victims" did something horrible themselves and won't stop ruining everybody's lives while the law "watches and laughs". So eventually somebody breaks down and turns violent. DC is very interesting, but it's the only detective series in the world that makes me wish for most of the criminals to get away.

But there was at least one absurd motive I remember: in the episodes about the Sherlock Holmes club, where the victim was killed for writing a story about Irene Adler and Sherlock Holmes out of character. There was another one I think (don't remember the number of the episode) where Ayumi's haidresser was killed because of throwing a coat-hanger on the murderer.

I particularly dislike cases where the criminal involves innocent people in their scheme; pretty self-explanatory.

Miracle at Koshien Ball Park! The Defiants Face the Dark Demon (ep 383) is a good example of this.

The motive wasn't great and I hardly felt sympathy for the guy.

It's actually laughable how elaborate and unnecessary his attempt was since it only ended up in failure.

The Motive for the Second Movie was actually pretty unacceptable. He put many people's lives in danger, even killing some of them, crash a building just because... He was the butt of a joke? Yeah, I'm sorry, that doesn't seem to justify any good reason to target many innocent's lives, like Eri and Agasa. Even if they didn't they, still...

There's probably a few others from what other people from this thread mentioned but my mind is blank. Though I have to say Gosho's motives, even if they're BLACKMAAAAAIL a lot of times, still manages to evoke some kind of sympathy.

In my opinion, I think motives aren't meant to be sympathized anyway. I only accept motives that involve others' lives (Death, suicide etc..) 

The ones I can't accept (and never will) are that Eri's hairdresser and about the bakery worker's letters are show in public.

Also there's a case about that mystery scriptwriter that thinks his mysteries aren't good enough so he killed someone (I can't remember who). Do you think that's even a motive? He can always try harder to improve.

It's not important, just my complete opinion, relates to our own real life (may occur offenses) :

Sometimes this show relates to my and our lives. If you think unacceptable motives are bad. Well think of ourselves, we sometimes cry, feel angry then do somethings like bullying. I haven't seen any true bullying but I sometimes thought about it, why do they even bully? Reasons like being the strongest or to make others respect doesn't make it a motive right? Here's another example. The truth is, my classmates hate each other. I don't mean to brag but all of them can only easily to me. I'm not even close to them, I sometimes talk to them less than 30 sentences everyday. I thought about it, and sometimes wonder why they never find a way to be happy with someone else? Why dwell deeper in hatred of someone beside them when they can always find happiness themselves...

Mine would be

Roller Coaster Murder Case ( the second situation, dont get why you want to kill a guy if he left you. Just punch him in the jewels.)

Holmes Freak Murder Case  ( never understood folks like the killer)

Big Monster Gomera Murder Case (i like the fact that the actor is serious, but to kill someone who does not want to make a movie... ::: )

The Locked Bathroom Murder Case  (i hate motives like this one, great case thou)

The Disappearing Weapon Search Case (not a good motive)

The Amusement Park Bungee Jumping Case (what)

Will Update this

Merged with an existed thread of the same topic.

Thank you~

But there was at least one absurd motive I remember: in the episodes about the Sherlock Holmes club, where the victim was killed for writing a story about Irene Adler and Sherlock Holmes out of character. There was another one I think (don't remember the number of the episode) where Ayumi's haidresser was killed because of throwing a coat-hanger on the murderer.

I think I remember that one about the coat-hanger... I didn't watch the episode but I saw a clip -- and yeah, the motive was just "wat?"

There was one where one of the brothers in a group of triplets murdered someone just to live through a mystery tale.

What the heck?

do u know which episode that was? now i want to watch it just to see how stupid the motive was :P

do u know which episode that was? now i want to watch it just to see how stupid the motive was :P

Found it ^-^

Edit: Well seems like you already found it but oh well

*_>*