Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Aeyra

Pokemon Showdown

So, if you're into competitive battling, you've probably heard of Pokemon Showdown. If not, it's a website where you can competitively battle either by importing teams from Pokemon Online or Shoddy or something like that or making your team right on the website and climb up that ladder! (if your team can actually beat things, of course... don't use Charizard, just don't. XD) It has all the different tiers, such as OU (Overused), UU (Underused), LU/RU (Littleused/Rarelyused), NU (Neverused), LC (Little Cup), Ubers, and a ton of others you might not have heard of before, like Challenge Cup (Woot! Air Balloon on all the flying types! XD JK, it's just randomized Pokes with randomized movesets and randomized items with their levels edited to make it more fair. For example... beat Steel Arceus with Caterpie, I am a boss.), Random Battle (same thing as CC, just with competitive movesets), Hackmons (my favorite tier... I'll leave a long thing later), and many more.

This thread is for discussing Pokemon Showdown, mainly your teams and getting tips for climbing up that ladder. The only metagame I'm really good at right now is hackmons... I'm like... #10 or #9 after a day of battling. :3 But I'm sure other people are great at OU or Ubers! (right?)

Just to get the people who don't know how to competitively battle started if they're interested, here's an awesome website for all the strategies and information you will ever need about Pokemon: Smogon (unless you prefer Bulbapedia, which is less competition-orientated, but essentially has the same information without the ranting about the particular assets of the move compared to others, the good Pokes who can use it, etc.). BTW, in order to register a username on Showdown, you need to win a rated battle first. This means build a team, click that 'Find a Battle' button, and win. If you need to secure that first win, here's an almost guaranteed win against another newbie in OU:

Cloyster (M) @ Focus Sash

Trait: Skill Link

EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Speed

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Shell Smash

- Icicle Spear

- Rock Blast

- Ice Shard

*Pretty simple Poke to understand, if you know what all the moves do. Shell Smash doubles your attack, speed, and special attack, and lowers your defense and sp. defense by one stage (essentially a third.). If you get Cloyster in before entry hazards on a Poke that can't hurt it, it's easy to set up two Shell Smashes and just sweep the whole other team, with the Focus Sash giving you a free turn of setup if Cloyster hasn't taken damage yet. The reason for this is because Skill Link allows it to hit five times with Icicle Spear and Rock Blast EVERY SINGLE TIME, therefore, giving it essentially two base 125 moves, one of which gets STAB. Ice Shard is for those Breloom who go "Mach Punch, checkmate!" Uh, no. TAKE AN ICE SHARD TO THE FACE. But be careful. Scizor, Jirachi, Heatran, and Mamoswine are good counters to this thing, so take those out first before unleashing this monster.*

Espeon (F) @ Salac Berry

Trait: Magic Bounce

EVs: 4 Def/252 Sp. Atk/252 Speed

Timid Nature (+Speed/-Atk)

- Calm Mind

- Baton Pass

- Psyshock

- Signal Beam

*This Espeon is great for two things- stopping entry hazards with Magic Bounce, and passing on three stat boosts to a receiving Pokemon. (which, once upon a time, was Genesect before it was banned to Ubers. TT^TT) Now, the problem is getting Espeon to survive to the point where it gets the Salac Berry boost, so don't get greedy. X) Just Baton Pass right out of there, and watch out for Scizor with Bullet Punch/Pursuit. It can also attack by itself if necessary.*

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Flame Body

EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Speed

Timid Nature (+Speed/-Atk)

- Quiver Dance

- Bug Buzz

- Fire Blast

- Hidden Power Ground

*This is my usual receiver for those boosts, since its essentially a pseudo Quiver Dance. You can use Quiver Dance another time if you want to (and can) to boost Volcarona's powers to awesome levels! Of course, please watch out for anything that might carry Stone Edge. And do not let this thing eat a Stealth Rock, just don't. (you have Espeon to stop that.) HP Ground is great for stopping threats like Terrakion and Heatran, but if Heatran's not a problem, go ahead and use Giga Drain.*

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite

Trait: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/252 SDef

Bold Nature (+Def/-Atk)

- Wish

- Protect

- Thunder Wave

- Seismic Toss

*The bane of all special attackers lacking Secret Sword or Psyshock, behold Chansey, the murderous pink killer! It tanks almost everything, gets a Wish, and with its monstrous HP stat can heal everyone of your teammates back to full health. (just make sure that team mate isn't killed on the switch.) It can get that Wish for itself with Protect, and also stop a sweeper in its tracks with Thunder Wave. Seismic Toss is necessary to get damage on other tanks. This is your special wall. Use it well.*

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb

Trait: Technician

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef

Adamant Nature

- Swords Dance

- Bullet Punch

- Bug Bite

- Superpower

*Bulky Swords Dance Scizor... switch it into something that can't hurt Scizor, Swords Dance as they switch out, and then just pummel them with Bullet Punch and Bug Bite and Superpower! Watch out for fire-types, obviously, but the next teammate will be good for taking those Fire Blasts. ;3*

Heatran (F) @ Life Orb

Trait: Flash Fire

EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Speed

Timid Nature

- Earth Power

- Dragon Pulse

- Fire Blast

- Hidden Power Grass

*This is another great receiver to Espeon's boosts, and would love to get a Flash Fire boost from people who want to launch a Fire Blast at Scizor. Use it right, and it'll net a ton of kills! :D I think. XD IDK, this isn't the Heatran I usually use, but it should be just as good. ;3*

Oh, and if you're interested in joining me in hackmons... ;D Wonder Guard Spiritomb anyone? No, like, seriously. XD It's surprising how many people lack a counter to it when they're so common... >.> (or Wonder Guard Jolteon + Air Balloon) Or my awesome sweeper, No Guard Deoxys-S with Sheer Cold. Oh, what is hackmons? Take any Poke, slap on any ability you want, any moves, and full EVs in any stats! Now you can have that Wonder Guard Spiritomb you've always dreamed of! Of course, the best strategies aren't the obvious ones, and creativity is key in this tier! Run wild! (just remember- typing and base stats are all that really matter anymore.)

Hackmons doesn't appeal to me too much. I'm pretty good in OU, when I decide to play at all. Currently using this team:

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef

Relaxed Nature

IVs: 0 Spd

- Spikes

- Stealth Rock

- Gyro Ball

- Rapid Spin

> Premier hazard setter, and spinner. It's a great physical wall as well. Only problem is that it's extremely weak with Fire, but my next member covers it extremely nicely (and is the reason I chose Stealth Rock over Toxic Spikes). And the reason I chose it over Ferrothorn, who does have better overall bulk, is because Ferrothorn cannot spin, and doesn't have Sturdy.

Milotic @ Leftovers

Trait: Marvel Scale

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SDef

Calm Nature

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

- Scald

- Dragon Tail

> Milotic is beautiful. When you see Marvel Scale and excellent SDef, you think RestTalker. But that's not all. Access to Scald AND Dragon Tail (burn and phaze), two fantastic moves, makes Milotic the best RestTalker in the entire game. She appreciates the Spikes and Stealth Rock with Forretress by racking up damage with Dragon Tail, and can comfortably tank a Fire-type attack aimed for Forretress (and Metagross below). Scald has that burn chance, which is why Forretress doesn't run Toxic Spikes, because burn is pretty good.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Imposter

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef

IVs: 2 Spd

- Transform

-

> Ditto? You may not believe it, but Ditto is a great revenge killer, but also usable as a scout, because when it transforms, it reveals the moveset of the opponent. It's also a nightmare to predict, believe it or not (again).

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry

Trait: Multiscale

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Adamant Nature

- Dragon Dance

- Outrage

- Fire Punch

- Roost

> Multiscale pretty much guarantees a Dragon Dance, and I can either Outrage or Fire Punch from there (the combination is unresisted). If I need it, Roost can help me shrug off some damage and get another Multiscale chance. And although I don't want it to do so, it can take a resisted blow away from a team member who's weak to it.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Expert Belt

Trait: Volt Absorb

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

Timid Nature

- Thunderbolt

- Hidden Power [ice]

- Grass Knot

- Volt Switch

> That awesome SAtk stat is one of the highest I know of in OU. Its frailty makes it unable to switch in easily to most attacks, but once it gets through, it's pretty good. I chose Expert Belt to trick those thinking this Thundurus is Choice, and then KO them when they try switching to a counter. Thundurus also removes Gastrodon and its Storm Drain, which Milotic likes.

Metagross @ Life Orb

Trait: Clear Body

EVs: 252 Atk / 228 SAtk / 24 Spd

Naughty Nature

- Meteor Mash

- Grass Knot

- Earthquake

- Hidden Power [Fire]

> I got a physical Dragon Dance attacker, and a special attacker. I decided my last slot should be a mixed attacker, and since Salamence and Hydreigon both have Ice-type weaknesses (which I really can't cover) and Lucario is comparatively frail, I chose Metagross, who has Steel-typing, great bulk, and decent dual attacking stats. Metagross can come in on Outrage aimed at Dragonite and comfortably take it with high Def, then destroy the enemy Dragon while they're locked in. Steel provides a good switch-in from Thundurus-Therian, and vice versa: Metagross can come in on Ice and Rock-type moves, and Thundurus with Earth-type. Life Orb is self-explanatory.

I happened to play OU (In PO, not Showdown) for a while while 5th Gen metagame was still going on, but it gets boring after a while since the pokemons used are always the same. I'd prefer just some casual battles in X and Y if everyone is in for it :D