Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Chekhov MacGuffin

Gosho misstepped with Akai's character?

Akai Shuuichi was still dating Jodie Starling at the same time he was dating Miyano Akemi as part of his mission to infiltrate the Black Organization. He broke up with Jodie at some point in favor of Akemi. I noticed a few people had mentioned it earlier, but some posts by Carpet Crawler caught my eye when he said this scene cost Akai a lot of respect. Any thoughts about this in particular or other aspects of Akai's character?

References notes and scene translations for convenience (no spoilers)

The scene is in Volume 63, File 3 (677), pg 5 or anime episode 563, "Detective Boys versus Robber Group"

It isn't clear when (before or after he was kicked out), but during the breakup scene in the manga there is an English sign saying "Service" in the background.

All the translations I have seen are rather different, which is unfortunate.

Version 1

Jodie: You two started going out? And she's the one you mentioned before, the member of that syndicate, Miyano Akemi-san?

Akai: Yeah. That's why we have to break this off.

Jodie: Hold on a second, Shuu! You're only going out with her because of the investigation, right? I don't see the need for us to separate.

Akai: It's an organization I must crush, even if it requires sacrificing you. Being able to love two women at once... That just isn't who I am.

Version 2

Jodie: Eh, you two started going out? And, as mentioned earlier, it was the one involved with the Organization, Miyano Akemi-san?

Akai: Yeah... That's why we should end this.

Jodie: Wai-wait a minute! Didn't you go out with her to infiltrate the Organization? What did you mean by "Even if we don't part?".

Akai: It's not an organization you can destroy even if you sacrifice yourself. To be able to love two women at the same time, it's not that handy a personality.

Version 3

Jodie: Eh? You started going out with her? You mean Miyano Akemi-san, the person involved in the Organization you mentioned before?

Akai: Yes... That's why I wanted to end it with you.

Jodie: W-wait a minute, you started doing it as part of your undercover job, right? You don't have to break up with me...

Akai: This is an organization that won't be destroyed even if I sacrifice you. I'm not that capable a person to love two women at the same time.

• Upvote 2

For me it's more a plus point, since he decided to go for one woman in the end and not for both :V

Except he still went out with both at the same time.

Look at it from Jodie's perspective once Shuu told her, point-blank, how hard it was to love two women at the same time. You don't say that to someone you're dating.

Except he still went out with both at the same time.

Look at it from Jodie's perspective once Shuu told her, point-blank, how hard it was to love two women at the same time. You don't say that to someone you're dating.

I understood it differently.

He dated Jodie. Then also dated Akemi because of his work, so dated 2 women at the same time. But Akemi was still because of work.

Similar to an actor doing kissing scenes etc.

That's why Jodie also said that's it's not a big deal, since it's because of work.

But Akai noticed that he has real feelings for Akemi over the time, so he decided to break up with Jodie, instead of keeping it up with both women.

• Upvote 6

That's nice, but not according to how Gosho Aoyama wrote it, no. He didn't break it off with Jodie after falling for Akemi. Where is that ever stated, shown, or hinted at?

"Being able to love two women" (or similar) says, he loves her (actually both).

It's also not stated, that he doesn't already fell in love for her either, if you don't count that.

Basically, the problem here is a bit, that it's just a scene, where we don't really know the timeframe when it happened (did he just start to go out with Akemi? Was it after a long time? etc.)

Also, even if he did that when he didn't fall for Akemi yet. He still did that because he didn't want to date Jodie half-hearted while his work required him to go out with Akemi.

Akai Shuuichi was still dating Jodie Starling at the same time he was dating Miyano Akemi as part of his mission to infiltrate the Black Organization. He broke up with Jodie at some point in favor of Akemi. I noticed a few people had mentioned it earlier, but some posts by Carpet Crawler caught my eye when he said this scene cost Akai a lot of respect. Any thoughts about this in particular or other aspects of Akai's character?

References notes and scene translations for convenience (no spoilers)

The scene is in Volume 63, File 3 (677), pg 5 or anime episode 563, "Detective Boys versus Robber Group"

It isn't clear when (before or after he was kicked out), but during the breakup scene in the manga there is an English sign saying "Service" in the background.

All the translations I have seen are rather different, which is unfortunate.

Version 1

Jodie: You two started going out? And she's the one you mentioned before, the member of that syndicate, Miyano Akemi-san?

Akai: Yeah. That's why we have to break this off.

Jodie: Hold on a second, Shuu! You're only going out with her because of the investigation, right? I don't see the need for us to separate.

Akai: It's an organization I must crush, even if it requires sacrificing you. Being able to love two women at once... That just isn't who I am.

Version 2

Jodie: Eh, you two started going out? And, as mentioned earlier, it was the one involved with the Organization, Miyano Akemi-san?

Akai: Yeah... That's why we should end this.

Jodie: Wai-wait a minute! Didn't you go out with her to infiltrate the Organization? What did you mean by "Even if we don't part?".

Akai: It's not an organization you can destroy even if you sacrifice yourself. To be able to love two women at the same time, it's not that handy a personality.

Version 3

Jodie: Eh? You started going out with her? You mean Miyano Akemi-san, the person involved in the Organization you mentioned before?

Akai: Yes... That's why I wanted to end it with you.

Jodie: W-wait a minute, you started doing it as part of your undercover job, right? You don't have to break up with me...

Akai: This is an organization that won't be destroyed even if I sacrifice you. I'm not that capable a person to love two women at the same time.

For all we know, he could of being two timing :lol:

For all we know, he could of being two timing :lol:

He was. That said, dating Akemi was for his job, at least at first. It's a dirty job, but spies do get asked to do this kind of thing, although usually it happens more with female spies seducing men than the other way around. I think I remember reading in the spy museum in DC that sometimes even married men/women have been asked to seduce. Intelligence is nasty business, and can find itself on the wrong side of morality and legality.

I think I side with Kleene in that I understand why Akai was double timing, and he did the right thing by eventually breaking it off with Jodie when he decided he wanted to get serious with (or was already serious with) Akemi. That said, I am not sure I agree with how he explained it to her though. Telling Jodie he was "sacrificing her" to have a better chance at taking down the Organization is a half lie. He was doing it because he didn't want to be personally conflicted, which to his credit he does say in his next line (can't love two women...). He shouldn't have said anything about the Organization at all, just told her that he developed feelings for Akemi and he doesn't feel right holding onto them both.

• Upvote 1

I see it as

When he start dating Akemi. His relationship wit Jodie was real. Akemi's was an act, his job. I don't see this as two timing

But when he start to developed feeling for Akemi. He break of with Jodies. Before (or as he about to) two timing.