Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

The Secret Behind Vermouth's Youth!

148 members have voted

1. 1. What is the cause of Vermouth's youth?

• She took APTX 4869 to get younger
    • She took APTX 4869 to commit suicide and it affected her aging instead
    • She took APTX 4869 as an experiment
    • She was exposed to APTX 4869 on accident and it affected her aging
    • She took APTX 4869 for some other reason
    • She took something else to get younger
    • She took something else to commit suicide and it affected her aging instead
    • She took something else as an experiment
    • She was exposed to something else on accident and it affected her aging
    • She took something else for some other reason
    • Sharon and Chris are two different people so no deaging is involved
    • Vermouth had plastic surgery
    • She used the gem Pandora's tears
    • Vermouth ages normally, she just disguises it really well
    • Vermouth goes through some continuous therapy to keep her aging halted
    • Vermouth naturally doesn't age
    • The brain of the older Vermouth was transplanted into a younger clone
    • Vermouth isn't human (e.g. undead)
    • Something else
  2. 2. How old is Vermouth really?

• 0-19
    • 20-30 (Chris's age = 29)
    • 31-44
    • 45-60 (Sharon's approximate age)
    • 61-74
    • 75-90 (Sharon's mom's approximate age)
    • 91-119
    • 120+

I'm starting to question that too actually. Where did it say she was Sharon?

The revelation Vermouth was Sharon occurred during the confrontation with Vermouth. Vermouth never confirmed Jodie's accusation, but she certainly didn't deny it. Conan and Akai also came to the same conclusion that Vermouth is Sharon as well. For an explanation about how Jodie, Akai, and Conan came to their conclusions, please see the below links.

Jodie's discovery Chris Vineyard, Sharon Vineyard and Vermouth are the same person

Conan's discovery Chris Vineyard, Sharon Vineyard and Vermouth are the same person

Vermouth seems to be the Detective Conan's incarnation of Joséphine Balsamo de Cagliostro, a woman who is 106 years old but still looks like in her 30's.

As for Vermouth's secret, I still think it has to do with cellular regeneration, allowing a person to stay young indefinitely.

That's like the opposite of the APTX! It would control apoptosis so that you'd always have the same no. of cells and none would die enough to make you 'older'.

Exactly ! If the Apotoxine could rejuvenate someone by destroying his cells, the exact contrary (cellular regeneration) could also be possible and it would explain the secret of Vermouth's mysterious youth.

Well, not cellular regeneration because too many cells would actually be a bad thing. Apoptosis is natural, and it's needed to sustain healthy life. But when you get older, apoptosis happens more quickly until you can no longer survive. What I'm saying is that it keeps this from happening, and therefore the cells never get 'older'.

Well, not cellular regeneration because too many cells would actually be a bad thing. Apoptosis is natural, and it's needed to sustain healthy life. But when you get older, apoptosis happens more quickly until you can no longer survive. What I'm saying is that it keeps this from happening, and therefore the cells never get 'older'.

Basically, eternal sustained apoptosis? This happened before in real life.

I heard of it. Sorry, memory failure.

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Are you serious about the computer, or was it to freak me out, because it was so weird to see the alert in my email...

I'm pretty sure her youth has something to do with APTX 4869. First off, I don't think Vermouth/Sharon has taken the drug multiple times, because given the way APTX 4869 works, multiple doses would probably be very dangerous. I think that rather than taking 10 years off one's life, the formula is different depending on the maturity of the individual. It could take off around 56% of someone's age, or it might be a much more complex equation not yet determined (which is more likely). Or maybe the version Vermouth took is different from Shinichi and Shiho. But anyway, we also have to wonder why Sharon took the APTX 4869. So here are two ideas that might work, but could also be completely wrong.

I think Sharon took the APTX 4869 around 3 years before the current story, because that's when Chris Vineyard (her younger self) suddenly appeared in the world (at least if I remember correctly). If the effect of the drug was unpredictable when Shinichi was forced to take it, it was probably just as unpredictable, if not more so, when Sharon took it. Maybe Sharon messed up on a mission, so she was forced to become a test subject? Then, with the results as they were, the organization had to keep Sharon to further study the drug. In that case, the de-aging effects of the drug were probably confidential, even among the members of the organization, which is why Gin unwittingly gave the drug to Shinichi. Being forced to test the drug could also explain why Sharon wants her silver bullet to succeed in taking down the organization. But then how did she go from there to being the boss's favorite? And I feel like Gin would know about the drug, given how high up he is in the organization.

So for another idea, maybe Vermouth was indeed the boss's favorite three years ago. In that case, maybe they were able to somehow anticipate the APTX 4869 would make Sharon more youthful. Maybe the individuals with some specific feature of their biology are affected favorably while others die. So Vermouth, as the boss's favorite, took the APTX 4869 as a bit of a present from him. But if that's true, then someone in the organization must have noticed that Shinichi would have been affected like Vermouth. Maybe not, since it could be some super obscure biological feature that they could only discover through directly testing Shinichi. But if that's true, then I don't think Gin would randomly be given a set of APTX 4869 pills with which to conduct assassinations, because he could be unwittingly shrinking any of their targets. Also, why would Sharon want her Silver Bullet to succeed? What could have fueled her grudge against the organization?

I think either of these possibilities could work. There are a few unanswered questions that I highlighted in both ideas, but I don't think it would be too difficult to explain them away. I was thinking of including my explanations to further support the ideas, but they have little to do with Vermouth's youth and more to do with my wild and crazy speculations for the overall plot, so I decided to save them for another thread.

i too agree with you

no old cells? cool!

Well, there would be old cells because they would still have to die in that sense, but your cells would always maintain the ability to regenerate, something i believe you lose as you become older.

If she really took the APTX4869 the Black O. would know it has age changing abilties and would have never gave it to shinchi and Ai wouldn't have taking it either lol! Back to the point I was trying to make, then The BO Would have known already Shinchi didn't die but just his body shrunked instead lol. But Good guess.

That makes sense... But maybe she took it secretly? Or it wasn't the APTX, but only a different, similar thing...

Maybe an older poison found by Ai's parents which is a fail, just as APTX 4869 is

But if it's meant to find immortality, then wouldn't it make sense that the first APTX was a success based on what you said?

But if it's meant to find immortality, then wouldn't it make sense that the first APTX was a success based on what you said?

If I am understanding the past discussion correctly, it could be the case that whatever Vermouth took was a unique situation that the BO have been trying to replicate since then, or maybe Vermouth was the only success and the pre-APTX-whatever-it-is didn't work on anyone else.

My theory is that Vermouth was caught in the fire that 'killed' Sharon Vineyard and took the APTX as an experiment because she was hurt too much to even hope for a chance at living. Miraculously, it worked, and they've been trying to replicate that again.

but who says Shuuichi isn't the boss and lied about Vermouth is actually young?

If Shuu was the boss, he already knows about Conan and Haibara. Why hasn't he done anything yet? If Akai was the boss that means he has shot at his underlings multiple times to the point where they say Akai is an enemy in "private conversation" (i.e. no one except Black Org listening in so there is no reason to trick anyone). Also, Shuu didn't lie about Vermouth being young: when his shotgun blast grazed Vermouth's face, you could see her face bleeding which demonstrated that she wasn't wearing a mask and thus her youthful appearance was her true face. It was Jodie who did the examination of Sharon and Chris's fingerprints, so she would have to be in on the deception too along with Akai.

I seriously doubt Shuu's the boss.

a.) Why would everyone in the BO try to hunt him down and kill him?

b.) Why would he try so hard to bring down the BO?

c.) Why the heck would he lie about Vermouth?

I still think Vermouth took a medicine meant to heal her 'fatal wounds' in some accident, and it ended up giving her immortality.

My theory is that Vermouth was caught in the fire that 'killed' Sharon Vineyard and took the APTX as an experiment because she was hurt too much to even hope for a chance at living. Miraculously, it worked, and they've been trying to replicate that again.

Hm... That's a pretty good theory. I never thought of that.