Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

Akai Shuuichi's Death Theory!

136 members have voted

1. 1. Is Akai dead or alive?

I think that the guy who was the agent who committed suicide at the hospital was the body burned in the fire. That guy's fingerprints was also on Conan's cell phone. He was shot in the head just like Akai.

This theory slightly confuses me with the complexity of it (says the person who finished Death Note in about... 6 hours). I'll just wait to see what Gosho Aoyama writes. :)

between akai and hidemi, hidemi is more useful...

*thinks*

i don't want akai to be dead but wasn't he shot in the head???

Only if Kir used real bullets. There are "fake" bullets called blanks which have a shell and gunpowder, but no bullet. They make a bang and a cartridge drops to the ground, but the only thing that comes out of the front of the gun is hot air. Blanks are often used in guns for starting races.

This theory slightly confuses me with the complexity of it

The basic summary of the plan to fake Akai Shuuichi's death is that Mizunashi Rena will meet Akai and will pretend to shoot him. To make it look realistic, blank cartridges and blood packets with small detonators will be used. Akai will pretend to die and fall down in the truck. When Rena is fiddling with the small bomb, Akai places Kusuda Rikumichi's body in his place. He exits the truck when Kir leaves. Meanwhile Jodie Starling will have the one of Conan's two cellphones that has Rikumichi's fingerprints on it. She will think they are Akai's and when she goes to validate the identity of the body with the police, it will match Rikumichi's fingerprints and she will be fooled into thinking Akai died.

-copied from the wiki-

Only if Kir used real bullets. There are "fake" bullets called blanks which have a shell and gunpowder, but no bullet. They make a bang and a cartridge drops to the ground, but the only thing that comes out of the front of the gun is hot air. Blanks are often used in guns for starting races.

The only problem with that is that bullets made like that have a high failure rate because lack of packing material (aka a wad) which ensures the proper packing of the gunpowder to allow for ignition. And wads tend to kill at point blank range. Which, if you recall, was part of my argument when the manga was first released and we had our first debate at length.

Basically, no matter what, anyone who has experience with blanks will tell you that the range BOTH shots were fired at are extremely dangerous. If there was any lingering debris that could have given severe injury. And as for the point blank range, if the bullets were made with a wad to ensure the powder's packing consistency, it would have certainly killed him. Again that is only about a 90% (give or take 5%, I'm no expert on munitions manufacturing) or so chance of having a blank with a wad. At midrange, on sets, actors are instructed to NEVER aim at the target, as at midrange the wad is still able to give severe injury (nonlethal, but still). Usually with point blank they either don't use a blank at all and add in the bullet and sound effect in post production, they use perspective to make it appear that they are shooting the actor in the head but are really shooting next to them, OR they do two shots of it, and use overlay to get the shot they want.

All in all, even blanks are serious business, and I can't fully accept it for reasons I have stated. I've mentioned this before, but I know Gosho will likely bring him back, and probably blanks were used to fake his death. It just wouldn't work in the real world, but this isn't the real world, it is Gosho's world.

Though... I wonder... I don't remember if they were using a monocular or binoculars to view Akai's death, but... Is it possible to use the perspective trick I stated? For some reason I doubt it, but I can't be sure. It might be possible to use forced perspective at that distance.... But it is tricky and would have had to be practiced which they did not have time to do.

Though this whole thing does remind me of GoldenEye...

OMG! AKAI IS 006! THAT IS HOW HE SURVIVED... which would make him... OMG SCAR AKAI?!

On that note... those were real bullets and I believe force perspective was used to fake 006's death, which allowed him to escape with only a burn, so that is possible in retrospect.

The only problem with that is that bullets made like that have a high failure rate because lack of packing material (aka a wad) which ensures the proper packing of the gunpowder to allow for ignition. And wads tend to kill at point blank range.

There are crimped blanks which don't have wads at all. There are also theatrical productions where the actor commits suicide with a gun on stage where safe blanks are used point blank. Perspective tricks like aiming behind the head are probably used (I would know if I didn't hit a paywall for a useful looking theatrical firearms video), but even then you wouldn't want anything else flying out of the gun while it is close to your head. You can find info by googling wadless blanks and crimped blank cartridges.

Also, not all blanks with wads kill at close range, only if they malfunction. It was with Sstimson if you want to search DCTP, but I explained that it's probable that Akai and Hidemi undertook the plan with the idea that Hidemi would really kill Akai if it looked like it would go wrong which explains her line to Akai about inconveniencing him. It's possible Gin could have given Kir a gun she didn't have the proper size blanks for, or ordered her to empty the full clip into him.

Though... I wonder... I don't remember if they were using a monocular or binoculars to view Akai's death, but... Is it possible to use the perspective trick I stated? For some reason I doubt it, but I can't be sure. It might be possible to use forced perspective at that distance.... But it is tricky and would have had to be practiced which they did not have time to do.

It was a camera on a collar Kir was wearing facing forward. Based on the on screen image, it wasn't very distorted so it would be hard to pull off a perspective trick.

There are crimped blanks which don't have wads at all. There are also theatrical productions where the actor commits suicide with a gun on stage where safe blanks are used point blank. Perspective tricks like aiming behind the head are probably used (I would know if I didn't hit a paywall for a useful looking theatrical firearms video), but even then you wouldn't want anything else flying out of the gun while it is close to your head. You can find info by googling wadless blanks and crimped blank cartridges.

Also, not all blanks with wads kill at close range, only if they malfunction. It was with Sstimson if you want to search DCTP, but I explained that it's probable that Akai and Hidemi undertook the plan with the idea that Hidemi would really kill Akai if it looked like it would go wrong which explains her line to Akai about inconveniencing him. It's possible Gin could have given Kir a gun she didn't have the proper size blanks for, or ordered her to empty the full clip into him.

It was a camera on a collar Kir was wearing facing forward. Based on the on screen image, it wasn't very distorted so it would be hard to pull off a perspective trick.

I totally forgot about crimped blanks, because they are far more rare. But that is still dangerous as there could be debris in the barrel that could do damage. And blanks with wads at that close range have enough velocity to kill.

And it was? I really need to reread it. If what you say is true (which considering that it is you...) then I can think of one more theory, but it would require an accomplice outside of Kir and Akai, but it is not outside of the FBI's capabilities. Though the perspective is still possible, but MUCH harder to pull off (it would have to be perfect). The other possibility is a staged killing that was predone and they hijacked Gin's signal predicting that he would want two shots. Granted this is unlikely, because as you said he could have asked that the entire clip be emptied, but it is still a possibility that they pulled such a trick off, but it would be far riskier. And it sorta seems like the kind of thing that Gosho would pull out. I think at least.

I totally forgot about crimped blanks, because they are far more rare. But that is still dangerous as there could be debris in the barrel that could do damage.

Preventing this is primarily a matter of cleaning the gun properly beforehand which isn't suspicious even if Kir was being watched because confirming the working of a gun you have just been given is standard as far as I know from my limited experience. With only one shot prior to the second, the gun probably isn't going to get gunked up enough to spit shrapnel at Akai's forehead. Also note that Akai's forehead will be shielded by an unobtrusive protective plate to prevent direct damage from the squib detonating the fake blood packets. This may help help with minor debris.

And it was? I really need to reread it. If what you say is true (which considering that it is you...) then I can think of one more theory, but it would require an accomplice outside of Kir and Akai.

This is likely because they needed someone to conveniently arrange a traffic accident to call the police to the scene and force Gin to retreat before he can confirm things or take extra precautions. Conan was in Tokyo at the time so it isn't him.

Though the perspective is still possible, but MUCH harder to pull off (it would have to be perfect). The other possibility is a staged killing that was predone and they hijacked Gin's signal predicting that he would want two shots. Granted this is unlikely, because as you said he could have asked that the entire clip be emptied, but it is still a possibility that they pulled such a trick off, but it would be far riskier. And it sorta seems like the kind of thing that Gosho would pull out. I think at least.

Maybe, but the readers watched the assassination unfold not on camera. Basically Gosho showed side shots and closeups and such that Kir's camera wouldn't have been able to see. If it was a camera trick, we should have watched Akai's assassination on Gin and Vodka's TV through the camera because it would be unfair to the readers to not clarify the scene they witnessed was taken through a camera. In short, I don't think the signal was hijacked because of the way Gosho drew everything.

From a technical standpoint, I think hijacking would have a much greater rate of failure than faking gunshots realtime. It would have to be set and filmed in advance. This creates all sorts of problems. The filmers need to take the time to disguise someone as Kir and rush to Raiha pass before the meeting. It also means they don't know what kind of gun Kir will be using, so basically they are screwed if they get the gun type wrong. Also prerecorded videos don't allow for real time reactions or verbal responses to Gin's commands. They're SOL if he orders Kir to vocally acknowledge him, look around, set the bomb to a specific length of time, etc. You also better hope no one drives by in the background or a noticeable gust of wind doesn't pick up. You would have to figure out the frequency used in order to hijack it, and hope to hell the signal isn't encrypted. Kir is being watched up until the assassination so communicating this info back to the Akai's potential signal hijacking accomplices would be risky and extremely difficult. In short, I think it's far too reliant on luck to work.

Preventing this is primarily a matter of cleaning the gun properly beforehand which isn't suspicious even if Kir was being watched because confirming the working of a gun you have just been given is standard as far as I know from my limited experience. With only one shot prior to the second, the gun probably isn't going to get gunked up enough to spit shrapnel at Akai's forehead. Also note that Akai's forehead will have a protective plate to prevent direct damage from the squib detonating the fake blood packets which may help against debris.

This is likely because they needed someone to conveniently arrange a traffic accident to call the police in time and Conan was in town at the time

Maybe, but the readers watched the assassination unfold not on camera. Basically Gosho showed side shots and closeups and such that Kir's camera wouldn't have been able to see. If it was a camera trick, we should have watched Akai's assassination on Gin and Vodka's TV through the camera because it would be unfair to the readers to not clarify the scene they witnessed was taken through a camera. In short, I don't think the signal was hijacked because of the way Gosho drew everything.

From the technical standpoint, I think hijacking would have a greater rate of failure than faking gunshots realtime. It would have to be set and filmed in advance. This creates all sorts of problems. The filmers need to take the time to disguise someone as Kir and rush to Raiha pass before the meeting. It also means they don't know what kind of gun Kir will be using, so basically they are screwed if they get the gun type wrong. You would have to figure out the frequency used in order to hijjack it, and hope to hell the signal isn't encrypted. Kir is being watched up until the assassination so communicating this info back to the Akai's potential signal hijjacking accomplices would be risky and extremely difficult.

It is not uncommon for writers to draw what they want you to see and explain it later on from a different perspective that explains everything. This is especially true in mysteries.

And I admitted that the hijacking would have a high failure possibility, I just offered that as yet another possibility. For all we know the BO could have a standard issue gun, which would allow for easy copying of the gun. It is not uncommon for groups to do that, even terrorist groups and criminal organizations.

And that is why I said the FBI would have the capability to do it. Unless the BO was doing an active AES encryption of the signal (which I have heard a live video signal is difficult to do that for), the FBI should be able to have the equipment to do a frequency sweep and break any encryption the BO had on the fly, especially if they set up prior. That is assuming the BO was expecting for them to do something like that, which isn't likely. So the possibility of encryption is probably slim. Though this likelihood is even more slim, and it was really something to think about.

Also... This works against Akai... But... I'd think that Gin would be suspicious if he didn't see grey matter splattered everywhere from a point blank head shot. The exit wound wouldn't be that small (depending on the caliber), unless the bullet was a hollow point, in which case there would be no exit wound.

(BTW Chek, I still say we don't have enough information to do a complete analysis and a lot we say is conjecture based on what we perceive based on what Gosho has chosen to give us)

It is not uncommon for writers to draw what they want you to see and explain it later on from a different perspective that explains everything. This is especially true in mysteries.

I don't recall Gosho ever doing this. This would be too cheap, even for Gosho.

And I admitted that the hijacking would have a high failure possibility, I just offered that as yet another possibility. For all we know the BO could have a standard issue gun, which would allow for easy copying of the gun. It is not uncommon for groups to do that, even terrorist groups and criminal organizations.

I edited my post with additional problems after I posted. Sorry.

And that is why I said the FBI would have the capability to do it.

I don't think the FBI would be good enough to do it based on the additional problems I mentioned above.

Also... This works against Akai... But... I'd think that Gin would be suspicious if he didn't see grey matter splattered everywhere from a point blank head shot.

It's dark and vague red gunk pouring from the back of Akai's head is close enough.
The exit wound wouldn't be that small (depending on the caliber), unless the bullet was a hollow point, in which case there would be no exit wound.
The camera's perspective doesn't allow Gin to see the back of the head. I'd argue that the small exit wound is a sign squibs and bloodpackets were used, but Gosho is a fan of pretty little headshots, so I'm not sure it would be valid to go there.

(BTW Chek, I still say we don't have enough information to do a complete analysis and a lot we say is conjecture based on what we perceive based on what Gosho has chosen to give us)

I think we have enough info to have a pretty good idea of what happened especially for the critical fake death part.

I don't recall Gosho ever doing this. This would be too cheap, even for Gosho.

I edited my post with additional problems after I posted. Sorry.

I don't think the FBI would be good enough to do it based on the additional problems I mentioned above.

It's dark and vague red gunk pouring from the back of Akai's head is close enough.

The camera's perspective doesn't allow Gin to see the back of the head. I'd argue that the small exit wound is a sign squibs and bloodpackets were used, but Gosho is a fan of pretty little headshots, so I'm not sure it would be valid to go there.

I think we have enough info to have a pretty good idea of what happened especially for the critical fake death part.

Hm... yeah... Really it was just a possibility. I knew it wasn't viable, and if the camera was on the collar it wouldn't matter in the slightest if she was asked to look around, because he wouldn't be able to see the movement, unless the camera was attached to the head. The collar doesn't move when the head moves. As for talking, we can assume that it is a radio because a small camera like that generally doesn't have a microphone. So therefore they would have separate signals and thus she could wait and respond. And any additional waiting would be because "she hesitated." In which case Gin would be weary but ultimately not care because the job would be done anyway, but he would likely trust her a bit less...

As for the bomb... that was real, and could be set up after the shooting. So that wouldn't matter.

(At this point I'm just providing counterpoint, I knew when I posted it it wasn't viable)

And yeah... I'm aware of the pretty little gunshot trope... And it annoys me to no end.... THAT ISN'T HOW IT WORKS! (Which is part of the reason I stated it... I'd hope for the major death of a main character Gosho would at least allude to a large exit wound, but not show it)

I still find it a little hard to believe that Kir and Akai have fooled gin in that fake death scene. Gin was even looking closely with a telescope. Gin was actually watching the scene through a camera attached to Kir (thanks, Chek), but yeah, we never know, Akai and Kir are wise persons too.

What if Gin really knew that Akai wasn't killed in that scene. Maybe, he's just 'going with the flow' and will try to catch Akai off-gaurd.

I still find it a little hard to believe that Kir and Akai have fooled gin in that fake death scene. Gin was even looking closely with a telescope. but yeah, we never know, Akai and Kir are wise persons too.

They weren't watching with a telescope. Kir had a camera around her neck. Akai and Kir's plan was pretty good. It works well on a dark night watching through a camera.

What if Gin really knew that Akai wasn't killed in that scene. Maybe, he's just 'going with the flow' and will try to catch Akai off-gaurd.

He'd kill Kir if he thought she played a trick on him. He almost did so when he heard about scar Akai. Lucky for Kir, it was Gin's mistake and scar Akai wasn't who he thought it would be.

They weren't watching with a telescope. Kir had a camera around her neck. Akai and Kir's plan was pretty good. It works well on a dark night watching through a camera.

Yeah. I forgot. My bad. I am actually watching the story arc once again. I want to familiarize all the details in the arc. :)

He'd kill Kir if he thought she played a trick on him. He almost did so when he heard about scar Akai. Lucky for Kir, it was Gin's mistake and scar Akai wasn't who he thought it would be.

Same with me. So, Kir and Akai must be real genius to pull a trick off with Gin watching. :grin: