Detective Conan World
DetectiveConanfan

Do the Movies go between the episodes???

exactly what my title says.

i've started watching Detective Conan more now, and i know that the OVAs are just random stories and you can watch them any time. same for the TV Specials too right? :?:

And are the Movies like that too? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I don't know if the movies are set to fall between specific epiosdes, but I'm pretty sure that they're supposed to go roughly in the season that they're released.

for instance, Haibara doesn't appear in the movies until the third one, which was after she was introduced in the series

Thanks.

'cause i watched the first one and at the beginning it showed the end of another crime.

the first movie? I guess I should go back and watch it again...

having been a while since I've seen it, though, I'd have to say it was probably just a flashback. they often show the flashback of how Shinichi got stuck the way he is

having now gone back and re-watched the beginning of the first movie, I can say that you're right - it's not a flashback. I think what they might have done was a basic introduction of the main four characters, for people who have had no other exposure to the series

I think when you're watching the movies, you have to at least know what's happening at the time it was shown in Japanese cinemas, but it's not really required for you to understand the story itself. I watched 1, 2, 6, 10, 3 and 12 in that order, but at the time I watched those I was only halfway through the series. :D

I think when you're watching the movies, you have to at least know what's happening at the time it was shown in Japanese cinemas, but it's not really required for you to understand the story itself. I watched 1, 2, 6, 10, 3 and 12 in that order, but at the time I watched those I was only halfway through the series. :D

yeah... when watching movie 13, it'll probably be helpful to know what's already happened between Conan/FBI and the Black Org.

The episodes and movies are relavent to each other. However, while the episodes have an effect on the development of the movies, the event and what happened in the movies do not influence the storyline of the episodes. For instance, at the beginning of the 13th movie, an scene in epsode 345 is introduced and that will play an important role later in the movie.

Also, an element of the earlier movie may appear in the later one. For example, an character in the first movie appears as a flashback in the 5th one. And be careful, watching the 5th movie earlier than the first one might be a spoiler! So I recommend that you watch the movies in order.

You can indeed see them as "seasons" extras (just like DetectiveSherry explained, they do not influence episodes, but episodes can influence them). But just like seasons, it's best to see them in order, and make sure you watch the movie after the corresponding season(s) (thus not too fast).

Let me explain:

Basically, since the very beginning of Detective Conan in 1996, one or two seasons (one and a half season if you prefer) have been released each year. And just at the same rate, a movie has also been released every year and always in April. (If you think about it, 1996 + 13 (movies) = 2009 :P)

BUT, what's interesting is that there are currently 18 seasons (more than the amount of movies). Therefore, I would recommend you watch about 2 seasons first, then watch a movie, then watch another 2 seasons, then watch the next movie and so on. This way, there won't be any chronological gap at any point in time since each movie gets released in the middle or around the end of two successive seasons. If you do it this way you won't miss anything and will understand everything. ^_^

Hope that helps.

I'm surprised I missed this topic. It is commonly believed that the movies are NOT canon with the actual story, as Gosho Aoyama has little to nothing to do with anything that goes on in them movies, and this includes Kaitou Kid knowing that Conan and Shinichi are the exact same person.

The movies do go between the episodes. When I was watching the entire show over the summer, to catch up with everyone else, I watched everything in airdate order, except in cases where the movie came out before the second part of an episode, in which case I watched the second part of the episode first, then the movie.

In short, you just need basic knowledge on what happened like in movie 13, you need to watch the 14-part episodes: Clash of Red and Black!, to actually know what's happening in movie 13 or else you'll just be running around in circles asking everyone what happened ending up being spoiled by having them tell you what exactly happened.

I'm surprised I missed this topic. It is commonly believed that the movies are NOT canon with the actual story, as Gosho Aoyama has little to nothing to do with anything that goes on in them movies, and this includes Kaitou Kid knowing that Conan and Shinichi are the exact same person.

no wonder...i thought i missed something there. i do hope, though, that some explanation, of any sort, comes out explaining how kid knows Conan's identity. ;)

no wonder...i thought i missed something there. i do hope, though, that some explanation, of any sort, comes out explaining how kid knows Conan's identity. ;)

Well, if it is really true that in the manga, Kid doesn't know who Conan really is, then let's just hope that the anime won't make a crappy storyline about it assuming that the manga's ideas are better. xD

Look on Wikipedia when each episode was released an compare it to that of when each movie was released. I'm pretty sure the first movie movie was released in 1997 (I think) and just keep working up one year from that. I also think most, if not all, the movies were released sometime in April, so just drop it in where the gap between two episodes is.

According to the wiki here,the movie's take place during the following seasons.

Movie 1(Season 2)

Movie 2(Season 4)

Movie 3(Season 6)

Movie 4(Season 7)

Movie 5(Season 9)

Movie 6(Season 9)

Movie 7(Season 12)

Movie 8(Season 13)

Movie 9(Season 14)

Movie 10(Season 15)

Movie 11(Season 16)

Movie 12(Season 17)

Movie 13(Season 18)

Movie 14(Season 18)

So,aside from Movie 1 and 2,the rest of the movies can be watched before or after the seasons. If you just want to watch the english dubbed movies(like me),then movie's 1 and 2 wont be a problem since seasons 2 and 4 have been dubbed.However,movies 3-6 cant be watched after a certain season or before it because season 5 was the last season dubbed.So,doesnt really matter much how you watch those since season 6 was never dubbed and probably never will be.And the seasons could just be guesses so.