Detective Conan World
01jtiong

Why doesn't anyone do a complete DNA analysis on Conan(Shinchi)

(manga spoilers!)

After reading file 793-795 ep 667-668 there is one scene where ran get amazed by how good DNA analyzed is and tell conan that no matter how much a person hides and fools everyone they can be caught by a complete DNA analysis so after reading that why don;t they do it on conan maybe for RAN sake

Like during the night or one day when he is not looking she could take a sample of conan DNA like hair sample, etc then compair it with shinchi then she could find out

why not do it

Great. I was just spoiled.angry.gif

Next time, try putting those events in a spoiler box. Not everyone follows the manga, you know.angry.gif

*dons lab coat*

There are several reasons... First lets go through civilian reasons (assuming that they go the civilian route)

1) DNA testing is not exactly cheap. The restriction enzymes, DNA polymerases, instrumentation, the ddNTPs, the kits, are all somewhat expensive. Ran probably doesn't have the money. In fact the only person that probably does have the money is Sonoko's family. (And before you think it, I'll get to the police later) (Btw, last I checked, the testing would cost around 300-500USD I have no idea the rates in Japan, but I can't imaging they'd be much cheaper as the requirements are about the same)

2)Assuming you have the money (which Ran probably doesn't) DNA testing isn't exactly quick... Granted, you can get it all done in a day, but that is assuming the laboratory has the time. DNA labs are notorious for backlog. Generally it takes around 1/2 a day if you do everything in tandem. This is civilian we are talking about, there is no chance that not getting the test would lead to the escape of a criminal.

3) Source DNA... They cleaned the house several times by now, and Okiya is now living there. You assume they can still obtain Shinichi's DNA 100%. In the case that they CAN'T they need the DNA from Okiya, Yukiko and Kudo (Yuusaku) to separate out any mixed DNA. There is no guarantee they can still FIND Shinichi's DNA in that house in the first place.

Police route:

Well this one is going to be short

1) Probable cause... There is none. Ran could air her suspicions to the MPD, and subsequently be laughed at by the MPD.

2) Childhood privacy acts in Japan. You can't even put a child's name in the news paper in Japan, let alone convince anyone to do a DNA test on children without extremely good and valid reason. As far as anyone knows, his parents are in America, and paying well for his expenses. And again "I think he is high school detective Kudo Shinichi" is not good enough reason. It is however good enough reason to be put under psychiatric care.

There is a chance that it will be explored later, but they have to find a convincing source for Shinichi's DNA. And sorry, but hair doesn't cut it. Hair only has [mostly] mtDNA, unless it was forcibly removed and has an intact root containing epithelial cells containing nuclear DNA. For a successful and sufficiently individualizing DNA test you need nuclear DNA.

EDIT: ACK! Forgot something! In case you are thinking that they just HAVE Shinichi's DNA in some database, he is not a criminal, he is not police, and he is not military. There is no civilian DNA database in any country. So that avenue is a dead end. It would have to be a sample to sample comparison.

• Upvote 8

lol, just watched this episode, and I agree but Kyuu Nye has the reasons for it so...She can't actually do it but one question, don't you need a health card or something to get into a hospital??? Parent information??? Birth record???

lol, just watched this episode, and I agree but Kyuu Nye has the reasons for it so...She can't actually do it but one question, don't you need a health card or something to get into a hospital??? Parent information??? Birth record???

I know Japanese health system is different than American. Let me do some research on it and I'll let you know.

Lol. Ran may not have the wits or means to do that but the Organization sure could especially if Kudo's DNA is in the database (which I doubt since those that are put there on watch usually are the sex offenders, as Kyuu said here). Which I think is the reason why they used fingerprint analysis in the thirteenth movie instead (although even that was far fetched)

you know i have wondered the same thing. if they have enough resources and time to hunt down sherry they should just do a DNA test, it has to be easy too

Since Ran's 'Conan is Shinichi!' theory somehow seems to get deflected every single time, I doubt that she'd even think of doing a DNA test. Besides, don't you need the parent's consent? 'Fuyumi Edogawa' (Yukiko's alias as Conan's mother) is alive, and the Mouri family are not Conan's legal guardians,so who's going to sign the consent form?