Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
MagicConan14

Aftershock

I put out a thread called 'new fanfic' but you guys haven't responded too much. So, to show you my skills, here's a sample...

~~

After the earthquake, nothing seemed to be the same anymore. People that had magic lost it, and people who didn't believe in magic at all started gaining powers. Conan just happened to be one of the examples of the second instance...

~~

Do you want me to continue this story or not? Please tell me!

In all honesty, DCW is definitely not the place to post fanfics. Certainly, you may gain some readers and some attention, but the exposure is minimal. DCW was not created for fanfiction and if you're expecting a wide readership, you're sure to be disappointed. Adding to the recent downhill trend of the number of active members, I'd recommend you post your stories to www.fanfiction.net.

On the other hand, I did take a look at your thread and to be honest, I still don't believe you're going to get many readers that way. You have to actually post a chapter for someone to review it--most people will already be dissuaded from reading your topic when they see the scarcity of words. You can always post fanfic request threads but threads purely for promoting unwritten fanfiction, especially one this short, will be unlikely to generate much attention.

Of course, as a fellow writer, I wish you the best of luck with your fanfiction. I'm just saying that this may not be the best place to put it.

I agree completely with Pyre... The only times I'd really suggest posting stuff here is- getting feedback on something you don't really want to put on ff.net, or trying to get someone to look at it (hopefully) before you publish it elsewhere because you don't have a beta. (or you're just really nervous about posting it.) I mean, the story section used to be more active (as well as the drawings section), but now, as Pyre said, the number of active members is pretty low. (and most of those wouldn't bother with this section of the site.)

I haven't really looked at your other thread (I'm trying to complete something for a contest) and I just want to say that three sentences isn't really enough to demonstrate someone's writing ability. It sounds more like a summary- and that would probably more fit for a status update. Like asking people "Does this idea sound cool? *insert summary here*" and getting that type of feedback there. If you're going to start a topic, you should at least have a prologue or part of a chapter for people to actually read a story.

Sorry if I sound negative, but as Pyre said, posting here gets you about zero attention. I did it when it was more active, and usually just so people who never, ever went on ff.net to read it. (but most of the members who did review.... I haven't heard from a good portion of them in a while.) Good luck with your fanfiction though!

Ah heh, post it if you'd like. I disagree with the two above. The reason why there's been no activity here is mainly the fact that not a lot of good works are getting pumped out, which makes activity here slower, and then that makes good writing also fewer. By all means, post here. Don't expect a lot of attention at the beginning, however.

In all honesty, DCW is definitely not the place to post fanfics. Certainly, you may gain some readers and some attention, but the exposure is minimal. DCW was not created for fanfiction and if you're expecting a large readership, you're sure to be disappointed. Adding to the recent downhill trend of the number of active members, I'd recommend you post your stories to www.fanfiction.net.

On the other hand, I did take a look at your thread and to be honest, I still don't believe you're going to get many readers that way. You have to actually post a chapter for someone to review it--most people will already be dissuaded from reading your topic when they see the scarcity of words. You can always post fanfic request threads but threads purely for promoting unwritten fanfiction, especially one this short, will be unlikely to generate much attention.

Of course, as a fellow writer, I wish you the best of luck with your fanfiction. I'm just saying that this may not be the best place to put it.

I agree completely with Pyre... The only times I'd really suggest posting stuff here is- getting feedback on something you don't really want to put on ff.net, or trying to get someone to look at it (hopefully) before you publish it elsewhere because you don't have a beta. (or you're just really nervous about posting it.) I mean, the story section used to be more active (as well as the drawings section), but now, as Pyre said, the number of active members is pretty low. (and most of those wouldn't bother with this section of the site.)

I haven't really looked at your other thread (I'm trying to complete something for a contest) and I just want to say that three sentences isn't really enough to demonstrate someone's writing ability. It sounds more like a summary- and that would probably more fit for a status update. Like asking people "Does this idea sound cool? *insert summary here*" and getting that type of feedback there. If you're going to start a topic, you should at least have a prologue or part of a chapter for people to actually read a story.

Sorry if I sound negative, but as Pyre said, posting here gets you about zero attention. I did it when it was more active, and usually just so people who never, ever went on ff.net to read it. (but most of the members who did review.... I haven't heard from a good portion of them in a while.) Good luck with your fanfiction though!

Ah heh, post it if you'd like. I disagree with the two above. The reason why there's been no activity here is mainly the fact that not a lot of good works are getting pumped out, which makes activity here slower, and then that makes good writing also fewer. By all means, post here. Don't expect a lot of attention at the beginning, however.

To answer everyone's questions...

It was just a summary of what the story would be like...I was only showing what kind of ideas I could come up with. (I never specified which skills I was displaying, right?) If you've looked around, you'll find I do have a(n?) ff account - a link's on my signature.

I knew already that Aftershock would receive less readership than my other stories. It was just one of those ideas that pops into your head.

To explain, this is a version of the DC world in which magic is common for some people and for others not. Beika is part of the human dimension, therefore no one in Beika knows about magic unless they've concealed that fact or have been declared insane. Magica are magic users, if you don't know that.

//

A loud rumbling was being emitted, and everyone was staring at Genta.

"My stomach's not that loud!" he yelled at class 1-B.

As soon as those words left his mouth, the whole world around them started shaking like it was on top of a giant washing machine. Kids screamed and sobbed all across the school as debris was coaxed loose.

Ayumi cried out in pain. She was trapped under a fallen display board! Kobayashi-sensei wasn't able to lift it, and the door was blocked by a huge chunk of chipped plaster and debris. Someone had to help her soon, or get help, or else Ayumi would die.

/

People need to have faith in magic for it to work for them, so when Conan discovered his power, it was rather …err…weak, to put it simply. A simple sparkly puff of smoke was all it was.

He, sensei and some of the more perceptive kids were now peering at his hand, waiting for another cloud. If Conan had magic, he hadn't told or shown anyone, so everyone in class 1-A was intrigued as to what might happen next. Class 1-B might be able to save Ayumi after all!

/

Meanwhile, Ruri [see White Knight.] was trying to get back to the human dimension from the magica dimension in the aftermath of the earthquake when she found she couldn't… Just what had happened during that earthquake? Did it affect all four dimensions?

Colton [see Second Chance. (Soon he will be in White Knight too…)] was watching everything from where he was situated in the heavens. The world, as every magica and human knew it, was going to be turned upside down. Only the humans, with their newly acquired magic, would be able to create normality in the world once more. That was going to be a difficult task indeed, what with all the humans having no belief at all in the illogical. (Even religious humans didn't…all that stuff people learnt in church or other religious places was utter nonsense, except if it was a magic shrine [like in Ablaze].)

//

This probably isn't my best story, and there's a few references to other fics I've done which are located on ff.net.