Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Chekhov MacGuffin

File 828-830?: Kaitou Kid steals a turtle (NO SPOILER)

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who did Kaitou Kid disguise as? (multiple choice in case of multiple disguises)

• Sonoko
    • Sera
    • Ran
    • Nakamori
    • Jirokichi
    • Kogoro
    • A guard
    • Someone else
    • No disguises were used
    • The turtle
    • The plot
    • I dunno

THIS THREAD will be used to discuss the ENGLISH ONLY VERSION. In other words, if you only read early spoilers or the Chinese scanlation and wish to discuss them, this is NOT the right place for you !

RULES OF THE ENGLISH ONLY NO SPOILER DISCUSSION THREAD:

1. DO NOT POST any kind of spoiler involving the case (Pictures, Texts, Information, Full Scans...) of any language. Even posting spoilers in spoiler boxes is not allowed.

2. Please DO NOT reveal, give hints or talk about any information or event that has not yet happened in the English releases in this thread.

Q&A:

1. Why is this whole thing necessary ?

A: Click here.

2. Can I join the discussion in the other thread as well ?

A: Of course you can. HOWEVER, as mentioned in the rules above, you MUST NOT reveal, give hints or talk about ANYTHING that spoils in this thread if you do.

Copy Pasta: The chain on the jewel makes the turtle hookable with a thin implement, so it could be easily dragged around the cage and stuffed under something. Kaito Kid is the master of making it look like the target was stolen while the it is really still there after all. Kaito Kid would probably not drown the turtle though, so wherever he stuffed it should have an air pocket. I swore there was a log on page 8, but you can't see one on page 16 - There is just a giant rock outcropping.

There is a convenient sign at the waterline on the front of the tank right where the guards, Nakamori, Kogoro, Sonoko, and Sera were smashed up against. On page 8, the top of the sign looks to be just below the waterline, but it looks to have just crossed it on 7, 10, 12, and 16. If that was covering a small hole predrilled in the tank, it would let Kaito Kid manipulate the contents with a thin implement. (A premade hole being covered calls back to the soda trick at the beginning of the case.) Getting smashed up against the tank is more liable to help Kaito Kid then hurt him if he is trying to manipulate it. It would be easier if Kaitou Kid were on the top of the dog pile by the tank, and Sera and Sonoko were the furthest back which is the best position. Also Nakamori and Kogoro had their faces slammed into the tank, which should have dealt mask damage, but it is hard to tell.

Without further clues I am leaning towards Sonoko. Sonoko was awfully precise with the turtle length: Ten cm. She also asked Ran the question about the current time that led to her looking at her cellphone at just the right moment to miss the trap. I wonder if Kaitou Kid stuck something on the cellphone instead of texting. Also maybe he had to exclude Ran for a reason. (Karate? Too heavy?)

The turtle? omg rofl. XD Imagine?

Well, there are many possibilities. I'm going towards Sera or Sonoko. Since Sera already got her face pinched, Kid could disguise as her without getting his face checked again. Best opportunity would have been when she went to the bathroom. but she's amazing at jeet-kune-do (is that right?) so I'm not so sure Kid could have pulled it off without a kick in the balls (haha :lol: ). Sonoko's another choice, just like Chek said. And these two are the only ones present(except Conan) that Kid hasn't disguised as before so far. (Kid has disguised as Kogorou, Nakamori, Ran and Jirokichi at least once. But I don't recall Sonoko being used as a disguise.))

I wonder what was on Ran's cell phone. Did Kid send her something to distract her?

On a side note, when I read the word aquarium, I was really hoping for fish being in the tank. That would have been hilarious.

I wonder if this heist will have anything to do with the plot. There isn't really a point in having a heist arc right now unless it's plot related. *shrugs*

It is completely possible that Sera or Sonoko could have been knocked out and disguised as Kid, but Ran can also be a possibility, as she pressed something on her phone, and the carpet rose, also she was not surprised by the carpet wrapping her father and some other peopel either.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

How do I add signatures?

After reading it I though either Sonoko or Kogoro by the way they acted. Kogoro suddenly appearing and Sonoko knowing about the toilet and would be a useful disguise, they are both suspicious.

Sera seems to be Kid IMO because the massive mistake Conan describes seems to that Kid is assuming Sera is male - a mistake pretty much everyone makes and Kid should have made by watching Sera on the train. Sera also acted surprised to be included in the girl's body search group and blushed when being checked (Kogoro was just being stupid which is why he blushed). Knowing the ages of Ran and Sonoko is also a bit suspicious because asking someone's birthday is a quick and easy check to determine if someone is who they say they are. Finally the shadow person being tied up in the guy's bathroom makes sense for Kid if he caught Sera in the deserted hall on the way to the bathroom and unaware of her gender tied her up in the wrong bathroom.

The switch occurred after the face pinch when Sera ran to the bathroom. We know this is the case because Sera at the beginning of the museum visit questioned Ran about the hat, which Kid should not have known about. Only the real Sera has a distinct interest in figuring out the hat circumstance because of Akai/Scar Akai. I don't know how Kid would have ensured she would go to the toilet though. He may have tampered with one to force someone to go to the upstairs one, but how he ensured Sera went is unclear. Perhaps he was prepared to swap into any of the teens (he knew all their birthdays!) and Sera was the most convenient because she went later. Sonoko went put she said the downstairs restroom was crowded so if she went to that one, Kid couldn't get her.

Kogoro showed up on his own so there would be no other Kogoro to tie up in the bathroom if he was Kid. Also he had his face slammed into the tank.

Nakamori had his face slammed into the tank. The real Sera also pinched him and he never left the scene afterwards.

Ran apparently gave away a vital clue to the trick with her cellphone behavior description. She also touched the glass barehanded.

Sonoko pressed Ran into revealing the cellphone clue, brought up the bottle trick which also seems to be a clue, and accused Ran of being Kid. There isn't any real reason for Kid to accuse Ran or do an incomplete job on the body search which might make Sonoko more suspicious. Sonoko also asked what Nakamori meant by calling Sera a son (scene right before the knee to groin), implying she knows Sera's gender which Kid shouldn't because everyone messes up Sera's gender unless they are suspicious like James.

Jirokichi wanting to give up so easily is definitely a bit suspicious, because if Kid hasn't stolen the gem yet as Conan assumes then clearing everyone out would give him the opportunity to do so. The old man is usually tenacious unless he has a good reason not to be, like he is looking for Kid's help. Since the jewel is of sketchy authenticity, Kid's appraisal by having him steal it and evaluate it might be what Jirokichi is aiming for.

Another possibility is that Jirokichi really is Jii in disguise with a voice changer or mike connected to Kid (that would be a pretty serious upgrade from the train case though) and Kid has invented a "pinchable" mask, so long as he is the one who fakes pinching it (as Sera in this case) because Kid just likes to prove he can defeat various security measures i.e. disguise as a child (Genta). Evidence against Jirokichi being disguised besides the face pinching is Jirokichi did touch the lip of the tank barehanded while checking it and also touched Kid's card which presumably was handed over to Nakamori as evidence. Jirokichi does a lot of talking and the various characters seem to all simultaneously converse in the very last panel which would rule out the mike. A voice changer would have to have been stolen to make it work, and that should have been mentioned unless Conan had his pocket picked midway... in conclusion, I think disguised Jirokichi is more complicated than necessary.

As for the turtle trick, assuming Conan is right about making the jewel only looking stolen, I'm thinking that magnets make the most sense (Note: sense is often in short supply with Kaito Kid cases) although I am not sure about the exact setup. Gosho typically depicts interference from transmitters or radios as bad reception rather than a screen blackout, so I assume conflicting radio signals isn't the cause of Ran's cell problem. The reason why I think it is magnets is because Gosho made a deal of the ferromagnetic iron clasp and the bottle trick Sonoko described looks like the variation where the trick coin is magnetic and held in the neck of the bottle with a magnet on a ring.

If Kid had access to the tank ahead of time, it's possible that he could get strings threaded through the mesh at the top of the tank to lift a hollow rock to cover the turtle after guiding it to the proper location with a magnet quickly. Other options include a false back or bottom to the cage which creates a space.

(Also I will not be looking at spoilers so I can have time to think about the file)

In case anyone was wondering about more detail on the bottle trick, it involves a magnet holding a coin on the inside of the bottle. Basically, the magician knocks the outside coin against the glass, at the same time removing the magnet and hiding the outside coin to make it appear as though the coin has appeared on the inside of the bottle. Or at least that's how I remember it. I saw it on TV ages ago...

*totally didn't post just to say the 'I saw it on TV' line*

In case anyone was wondering about more detail on the bottle trick, it involves a magnet holding a coin on the inside of the bottle. Basically, the magician knocks the outside coin against the glass, at the same time removing the magnet and hiding the outside coin to make it appear as though the coin has appeared on the inside of the bottle. Or at least that's how I remember it. I saw it on TV ages ago...

*totally didn't post just to say the 'I saw it on TV' line*

There is a few other versions of it, including slot in the bottle (less popular) and the foldable coin version, but I think the magnet one makes more sense. Foldable turtles would be a new low for a Kid case, although Kid cases keep making less and less sense. I would hope that the people searching could find a cut in the glass although the wire mesh might make it harder to recognize.

folding.gif

What did Jirokichi mean by "Shirou's wee lass?"

Copy Pasta: The chain on the jewel makes the turtle hookable with a thin implement, so it could be easily dragged around the cage and stuffed under something. Kaito Kid is the master of making it look like the target was stolen while the it is really still there after all. Kaito Kid would probably not drown the turtle though, so wherever he stuffed it should have an air pocket. I swore there was a log on page 8, but you can't see one on page 16 - There is just a giant rock outcropping.

There is a convenient sign at the waterline on the front of the tank right where the guards, Nakamori, Kogoro, Sonoko, and Sera were smashed up against. On page 8, the top of the sign looks to be just below the waterline, but it looks to have just crossed it on 7, 10, 12, and 16. If that was covering a small hole predrilled in the tank, it would let Kaito Kid manipulate the contents with a thin implement. (A premade hole being covered calls back to the soda trick at the beginning of the case.) Getting smashed up against the tank is more liable to help Kaito Kid then hurt him if he is trying to manipulate it. It would be easier if Kaitou Kid were on the top of the dog pile by the tank, and Sera and Sonoko were the furthest back which is the best position. Also Nakamori and Kogoro had their faces slammed into the tank, which should have dealt mask damage, but it is hard to tell.

As for the log thing, you can kind of see it in page 4 of ch 829.

As for the sign and the water line, if you're right, than the water volume rose for a short time during the exhibition. I have to say I don't think that had anything to do with the case.

Double post merged

Shirou Suzuki's (Sonoko's father) little girl (i.e. daughter)

As for the log thing, you can kind of see it in page 4 of ch 829.

As for the sign and the water line, if you're right, than the water volume rose for a short time during the exhibition. I have to say I don't think that had anything to do with the case.

That is the deduction I made after only seeing the first file. It has changed quit a bit since then.

Also be sure not to double post. You can edit your previous post by copying in the text from hitting the reply button.

Shirou is Sonoko's father so in context "Aha! So you came, Shirou's wee lass!" is a bit like saying "You came after all, Shirou's little girl!", only 'wee lass' is so much less awkward sounding than the alternatives. I don't know how it directly translates though.

EDIT: Oh, Chekhov already answered unless the posts got messed up somehow o.O... *headdesks*

I'm wondering if the turtle was never there, and it was some sort of mirror or projection trick. Distract everyone with the carpet incident, things making the turtle appear there disappear...? This whole thing is just weird.

DCTP has released File 830 in English!

Some midnight thoughts...

-I thought this part was priceless:

FunnyFile830.jpg?t=1346389491

-How Conan is able to deduce THAT MUCH is beyond me (e.g. what Kid wrote in the note stuck under Jirokichi's foot).

-After reading File 829, it was quite obvious that Kaito Kid was disguised as Sera. I was waiting for a Sonoko comment about the body check she unknowingly did on Kaito Kid, but it never came.

-I'm still waiting for a legitimate confrontation between Sera and Okiya/Akai (so many hints have been dropped about their brother/sister relationship, yet an actual confirmation hasn't been established).

-And last but not least, a Heiji case in the next file! 44 consecutive files is by far the longest reign of non-Heiji cases.

That was a legitimately terrible solution. You couldn't attract a diamond by trace iron inclusions even with an nMRI machine -- if you could, you would have ripped the blood out of your body long ago. Besides a magnet that strong would likely have pulled a few watches and phones off the guarding officers in the process.

Jirokichi cooperating with Kid was dumb too. He knows Conan figures out all of Kid's tricks, so of course he is going to get caught. He also might be arrested for interfering with a police investigation. Because of his actions, it came out publicly the turtle was a fraud; Jirokichi would have been better off not cooperating and pulling the exhibit later quietly. He would have also washed Kid's face in mud by messing up his plan at the same time.