Detective Conan World
Wicky

Is DC for boys or girls/is DC more popular with boys or girls?

Is DC for boys or girls/is DC more popular with boys or girls?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is DC for boys or girls/is DC more popular with boys or girls?

• Boys
    • Girls
    • Both
    • Dunno
    • Why am I looking at this lame topic?
    • Other

So, is DC for boys or girls? Or, which is it most popular with?

I think boys, due to the gore and stuff, but, the 2 people who introduced me to DC were both girl... So what do you think? :)

Detective Conan is for anyone except children, because they wouldn't understand it.

As for the popularity between boys and girls, I would say boys. Girls are probably mainly watching Detective Conan for the romance, while boys are probably mainly watching for the mystery and action. Counting that it's more concentrated on solving cases than romance, I think that boys are more dominant.

Well, Detective Conan has so many fans that even if one side is dominant, the other isn't small that's for sure.

Detective Conan is for anyone except children, because they wouldn't understand it.

As for the popularity between boys and girls, I would say boys. Girls are probably mainly watching Detective Conan for the romance, while boys are probably mainly watching for the mystery and action. Counting that it's more concentrated on solving cases than romance, I think that boys are more dominant.

Well, Detective Conan has so many fans that even if one side is dominant, the other isn't small that's for sure.

okay for the kid thing

i remember the first time i watched DC was in 1st grade

and i had a general idea of what was goin on

okay for the kid thing

i remember the first time i watched DC was in 1st grade

and i had a general idea of what was goin on

Compare yourself to the today's first grader. :)

When older generations were little, it wasn't necessary to say "Don't try this at home" on some cartoons.

DC is more popular among girls and women of all ages (from the teen to the 50 year old) compared to boys and men except in the children demographic where it's basically equally popular among boys and girls.

When you look at the demographic breakdown of the anime, the majority of the viewers are women. Over 60% of the people who went to see movie 16 were girls/women. The manga is particularly popular among middle aged women (in their 40s).

• Upvote 1

DC is more popular among girls and women of all ages (from the teen to the 50 year old) compared to boys and men except in the children demographic where it's basically equally popular among boys and girls.

When you look at the demographic breakdown of the anime, the majority of the viewers are women. Over 60% of the people who went to see movie 16 were girls/women. The manga is particularly popular among middle aged women (in their 40s).

It counterfeits what I said but, if it's true, I'd love that fact.

Excuses moi? (Which is failed French) I am young and I watch DC/CC.I understand it partly because I read Sherlock, and I actually study murder & detectivity (New word XP).
And for girls watching it for the romance: 1) That's stereotypical. 2) Would they watch ALL of that, for a little amount of romance. I don't think so... 

Excuses moi? (Which is failed French) I am... *Drumroll* 10 and I watch DC/CC. I get most of it, from a kid who has read LotR and Twilight. I understand it partly because I read Sherlock, and I actually study murder & detectivity (New word XP).

And for girls watching it for the romance: 1) That's stereotypical. 2) Would they watch ALL of that, for a little amount of romance. I don't think so~ :roll:

That's why I used the word mainly.

I don't think DC is targeted for a specific gender maybe an age group like Teens and Young Adults but beyond that I think there's different reasons for people in general to enjoy DC. I'm a male and I enjoy for both the mystery and romance(I'm more of an oddball for this statistic though).

DC is for all genders...

i don't think so if it is appropriate for all ages... (it's No ^^)

What ages isn't it appropriate for in your opinion?

It is a story liked by both girls and boys

Because it is about the logical thinking not something related to one gender

It is a story liked by both girls and boys

Because it is about the logical thinking not something related to one gender

I think that the question here was if Detective Conan is more popular with boys or girls. Of course it is liked by both genders, that's obvious.

I think that the question here was if Detective Conan is more popular with boys or girls. Of course it is liked by both genders, that's obvious.

Yes, thanks Phil, that is what I meant.

Remy, DC may be aimed at boys, but isn't just for boys. Phil, you are a master at explaining this, may I mention?

I think what everyone's saying is just different wording, with the same meaning...

That's not necessarily true.

*watches it because of action and gore* :mellow:

I'm an odd person though, so I probably shouldn't be counted as part of a statistic.

DC ? Gore? not even in my wild dreams. It's not even near violent, so what about gore. O____o

DC ? Gore? not even in my wild dreams. It's not even near violent, so what about gore. O____o

It used to be a lot bloodier near the beginning... I mean, there was a beheading in episode 1

Both. I'll never understand that habit that we humans have that is to say some things are for "boys" and some things for "girls".

Anyway, tough question though. We could say it's for boys because of the blood and how cruel some murders are, or for girls because of the ShinRan romance. But I think that it doesn't count as a valuable criteria, and so nothing would.

Detective Conan is published in Weekly Shonen Sunday, which means its official target demographic is boys.

However, I have not idea how the actual demographics break down.

I would suggest, however, the notion that the detective/mystery genre is a guy thing is very much off.  Mysteries is hugely popular with females, and many mystery writers are female.

The Queen of Crime, of course, is Agatha Christie.  But look through the mystery section of library and you will see a lot of female names.  Laura Childs is famous for her cuilinary mysteries.  Elis Peters did the Brother Cadfael series.  Dorthey Sayers was a contemporary to Agatha Christie and wrote the Lord Peter Wimsey books.  Caroline Lawrence is the author the kid detective series The Roman Mysteries, as well as the The Western Mysteries.  The Nancy Drew books have been written by a number of authors, but they have been hugely popular among girls for generations.  My mother used to watch Murder She Wrote all the time.  Many more examples could be mentioned.

Detective Conan is published in Weekly Shonen Sunday, which means its official target demographic is boys.

However, I have not idea how the actual demographics break down.

I would suggest, however, the notion that the detective/mystery genre is a guy thing is very much off.  Mysteries is hugely popular with females, and many mystery writers are female.

The Queen of Crime, of course, is Agatha Christie.  But look through the mystery section of library and you will see a lot of female names.  Laura Childs is famous for her cuilinary mysteries.  Elis Peters did the Brother Cadfael series.  Dorthey Sayers was a contemporary to Agatha Christie and wrote the Lord Peter Wimsey books.  Caroline Lawrence is the author the kid detective series The Roman Mysteries, as well as the The Western Mysteries.  The Nancy Drew books have been written by a number of authors, but they have been hugely popular among girls for generations.  My mother used to watch Murder She Wrote all the time.  Many more examples could be mentioned.

Yeah, because it's in Shonen Sunday, it's targeted for boys, but AndrewA has a good point. Girls like Masumi Sera might like it, while boys like Eisuke wouldn't like it, so it might just be about what kind of girls/what kind of boys watch it.