Detective Conan World
Black Demon

File 825-827: Bourbon Tennis Murder Case (NO SPOILER)

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who dunnit?

• Momozone Kotone (21)
    • Umejima Machi (22)
    • Takanashi Noboru (22)
    • Suicide
    • Uriu
    • The doctor
    • Amuro Tohru
    • Multiple suspects
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Which officer do you think will take the case?

• Yokomizo Sango
    • Yamamura Misao
    • Someone else

THIS THREAD will be used to discuss the ENGLISH ONLY VERSION. In other words, if you only read early spoilers or the Chinese scanlation and wish to discuss them, this is NOT the right place for you !

RULES OF THE ENGLISH ONLY NO SPOILER DISCUSSION THREAD:

1. DO NOT POST any kind of spoiler involving the case (Pictures, Texts, Information, Full Scans...) of any language. Even posting spoilers in spoiler boxes is not allowed.

2. Please DO NOT reveal, give hints or talk about any information or event that has not yet happened in the English releases in this thread.

Q&A:

1. Why is this whole thing necessary ?

A: Click here.

2. Can I join the discussion in the other thread as well ?

A: Of course you can. HOWEVER, as mentioned in the rules above, you MUST NOT reveal, give hints or talk about ANYTHING that spoils in this thread if you do.

Well English version's out, I can use them, go along DCTP. :)

The police won't suspect Conan as prime one. Before he could Amuro won't having Conan being suspected. Took long look at picture:

Vase.png

The tennis racket was behind him and clearly was dropped when he released upon impact. Murder weapon is the vase, when his head bleeds. And the vase's size is half of Conan's, Conan can clear off suspect's list cos' the doctor can testify injured person don't have ability to hold without dizziness, the vase's weight can't be moved with child's weight.

Conan's exact height:

exactheigh.jpg

If the police come to site and examine the size and height, Conan is not on suspect's list based on the vase and height of the deceased. He will be claimed dead by fall of vase from the shelf.

I paste it from DCTP as I'm Sato in person.

One thing about the deceased, his pose is really odd as it seems he stand at his left before fall down to right. He has been supported after the attack; the nearest item is the door, if it open it can support his weight as he slide down to floor.

If Amuro use the pin, it's likely there's first nearby somewhere in the house or key being used.

And I notice his slipper was missing, it's possible vase isn't murder weapon because he was moved; possibly to make make-believe accidental death.

The position of the hands of the deceased looks really odd.... it somehow feels like someone has placed the body like that because, that position doesn't look like a natural one ( Is that even possible 80 )

I wonder if the victim actually jumped across the verandas because his room was locked and his key missing? That might account for his missing shoe if he is not lying on it and we can't see it. I wonder how Conan fits into all this and how he went to sleep? I suppose more relevant information will be revealed next file.

Since the tennis courts seem to be in Izu that should be Yokomizo Juugo Sango's territory, but Yamamura was the officer that showed up when they ran to some nearby houses in the suspicious spicy curry case in Volume 40: Files 4-6 (407-409). They are at a suspect's house now, so who knows? Juugo Sango would be nice to see because I think he last appeared in the ecchi Hakone bathhouse on the lake case (724) Eri's birthday (710), but watching Amuro trying to deal with the dumbest cop would be highly amusing. Conan doesn't have his watch on him currently, so either Amuro/Juugo Sango will do the heavy lifting or Conan will produce it from somewhere.

Wait a minute...isn't Izu part of Shizuoka prefecture, thereby falling under Sango's jurisdiction instead of Jugo's?

---

On a side note, I believe Ai's reaction at the beginning of this chapter is proof that she would still prefer to submit herself to the BO if confronted by them, rather than try to evade them further. I can only imagine how she will react the next time she encounters BO members - if Conan once again devises a plan to save her, could she actually do something retaliatory against him?

---

On a side note, I believe Ai's reaction at the beginning of this chapter is proof that she would still prefer to submit herself to the BO if confronted by them, rather than try to evade them further. I can only imagine how she will react the next time she encounters BO members - if Conan once again devises a plan to save her, could she actually do something retaliatory against him?

Well I hope that's what she'll do in the future...She was upset that they did everything behind her back,so maybe she'll change her behavior toward the BO,and decide to fight against them instead of relying on Conan.

And I really hope she'll investigate on Okiya by herself...I mean,she made the link between Dai and Okiya,so I can't believe she forgot everything and trusted Conan's words.

I definitely think we are looking at dry ice inside the vase as part of the solution because of the condensation. That ice cream cake would not have stayed cold in his room otherwise. Turning off the air conditioning in the room was to probably speed the sublimation. As for the key, maybe it was wrapped under the grip tape in one of the tennis racket handles?

This seems like a case where timing is key, so a detailed chronological listing of where the suspects were in order to look for inconsistencies or opportunities is probably a good idea.

I definitely think we are looking at dry ice inside the vase as part of the solution because of the condensation. That ice cream cake would not have stayed cold in his room otherwise. Turning off the air conditioning in the room was to probably speed the sublimation. As for the key, maybe it was wrapped under the grip tape in one of the tennis racket handles?

I could see the possibility of dry ice being used to preserve the ice cream cake. If the culprit noticed it hasn't been eaten yet, he/she would want to create an excuse as to why the victim hasn't taken a bite: the ice cream cake melted. And in order to melt the cake, the culprit would have to get rid of the dry ice by placing it in the vase and by turning off the AC. But I don't think turning off the AC was used necessarily to sublimate the dry ice in the vase. Maybe the culprit used water to speed up the process of sublimation, which would explain the presence of water in the vase.

And I initially thought the key could be hidden under the grip tape, but I think we have to take the word of the investigators when they say: "We checked everyone's rackets but we couldn't find anything like a key anywhere." The only reasonable place for investigators to search for a key on a racket is under the grip tape. Honestly, if I was the culprit, I would either drop it down the drain in the bathtub or flush it down the toilet. That way, if investigators somehow find the key, I would say it could have been accidentally dropped by someone. My fingerprints would also be washed away by the constant water drainage which would be a bonus. But that's just me...

I think I might have to look over the chapter several more times.

Here’s my (incomplete) deduction of the case:

It could either be really close to the point or way off the mark. And sorry for double posting...

The Culprit:

It only makes sense to me that Kotone, the owner of the house, is the murderer. She has the easiest access to the spare key, she knows the dynamics of her own house the best, she would have several opportunities to practice the timed trick, and she’s the main reason why everyone is in her house in the first place: she intentionally hit Conan on the head!

The Murder:

Kotone enters the victim’s room (without acknowledging Conan who was sleeping at the time) and grabs the vase at the top of the shelf while Ishiguri is looking away. She then swings the vase towards Ishiguri’s head and kills him. The victim subsequently falls flat on his back with his head facing near the shelf. Simple as that.

The Falling Vase:

In order to make the murder appear as an accident, Kotone would have to think of a way to make the vase fall naturally from the top of the shelf to the floor. The key elements to this trick are ice (H2O) and dry ice (CO2).

-First, Kotone prepares the trick the night before by filling the vase with water until it’s about 1/3 full.

-Next, she positions the vase on its side inside her freezer (to let the water freeze overnight).

-The next morning, she puts dry ice cubes inside to preserve the normal ice (which happens to be frozen on the side of the vase).

-Before she leaves to play tennis, Kotone sets the vase atop the shelf again with the AC running (to slow down the process of sublimation and melting of the ice).

-Afraid that the normal ice might already be melting, she creates an excuse to go back to her house as soon as possible: by “accidentally” hitting Conan in the head.

-So the gang goes back to Kotone’s place where she prepares lunch for everyone.

-After she goes up to Ishiguri’s room and supposedly asks if he wants any noodles, she takes out the dry ice from the vase and murders Ishiguri (she also decides to bang his racket on the side of the shelf to disguise the murder as an accident).

-To set up the timed “falling vase” trick, she then places the vase at the edge of the top of the shelf. Keep in mind that the majority of the vase needs to be hanging off of the shelf with the weighted side (with frozen ice attached) still on the shelf. That way, when most of the ice turns into liquid, the vase will fall off on its own due to the unbalanced water weight.

-In order for that to happen, Kotone turns off AC to speed up the process of melting. A few hours later, the vase would tip over and hit the ground, making it seem like Ishiguri’s death was unintentional.

The Locked Room Trick:

Here’s where the case gets more complex. In order for Kotone to leave the room locked with Ishiguri’s body against the door, she would need to come up with a trick. After she murders Ishiguri, she drags his legs and rotates his body away from the door. Then she takes the dry ice cubes (the shape of the ice could vary) from the vase that she used as a weapon and places them in a rectangular formation a few feet away from the door. Kotone then grabs the victim’s racket and gently places the center part (near the bottom of the head of the racket) on top of the two dry ice cubes furthest from the door. Keep in mind that the end part of the handle is still on the ground and the top part of the head is still hovering over the other two dry ice cubes. In order to make the racket “hover in midair,” Kotone drags the victim’s legs towards the racket and gently places his butt on the head of the racket (using the first two dry ice cubes as a fulcrum). Now the four dry ice cubes can act as legs for the hovering racket. After setting up this somewhat complex trick, Kotone leaves the room and locks the door. But how does she move Ishiguri’s body against the door from the outside? Well, if she cuts a long piece of tennis string, she would be able to thread it through the top of the racket, place both ends of the string in the hallway, close and lock the door, and pull the two ends of the string from the outside which ultimately glides Ishiguri’s body towards the door (with the help from the frictionless dry ice cubes below the racket). Now all she needs to do is pull one end of the string to retrieve the evidence. The raggedness of the racket was probably caused by Ishiguri’s weight pressing down on the racket with dry ice underneath. Maybe the sheer coldness of the dry ice also had something to do with it. And due to the hot air and Ishiguri's warm buttocks, the dry ice cubes will sublimate and eventually vanish from the crime scene.

Other Things to Note:

-The vase is made out of copper, a great conductor of heat, so shouldn’t Conan have felt the coldness emanating from the cold water inside the vase when he touched it? It’s probably due to the long period without AC (more heat conducted from the air to the vase than the coldness from the water to the vase).

-Note that Kotone showered some time after she went upstairs to ask Ishiguri if he wanted noodles (probably to cleanse her skin from any of the victim’s blood).

-On the cover of Chapter 826, there seems to be four dents on the racket, which further supports my gliding racket trick (though it's possible that more than four dry ice pieces were used as legs).

-Knowing that Machi would restring her racket later on, Kotone could have used the string from her own racket to glide Ishiguri’s lower body towards the door.

-The “air conditioning” that Ran and Machi felt under the door was the cool CO2 sublimating from the dry ice under the tennis racket (cold air is more dense than warm air).

-In order to melt the ice cream cake (to create an excuse as to why Ishiguri hasn’t eaten any of it), Kotone probably disposed the dry ice that helped preserve the cake. It’s even possible that she used those dry ice pieces for the locked room trick. And with the AC off, the ice cream will have melted.

-In fact, if there were any dry ice pieces left over, it wouldn't it hurt to leave them near the door and make others think (Ran and Machi) that the AC was running the entire time.

-I’m still unsure about Kotone’s frozen sports drink. What significance does it have in this case? Was it somehow used to get rid of the key?

-As for the key, there are several places to hide it. Although, it would make the most sense that Kotone disposed of it in the bathroom (down the bathtub drain) when she took a shower.

And… that’s what I have for now! I may need to add/change things later on though.

• Upvote 5

It could either be really close to the point or way off the mark. And sorry for double posting...

The Culprit:

It only makes sense to me that Kotone, the owner of the house, is the murderer. She has the easiest access to the spare key, she knows the dynamics of her own house the best, she would have several opportunities to practice the timed trick, and she’s the main reason why everyone is in her house in the first place: she intentionally hit Conan on the head!

The Murder:

Kotone enters the victim’s room (without acknowledging Conan who was sleeping at the time) and grabs the vase at the top of the shelf while Ishiguri is looking away. She then swings the vase towards Ishiguri’s head and kills him. The victim subsequently falls flat on his back with his head facing near the shelf. Simple as that.

The Falling Vase:

In order to make the murder appear as an accident, Kotone would have to think of a way to make the vase fall naturally from the top of the shelf to the floor. The key elements to this trick are ice (H2O) and dry ice (CO2).

-First, Kotone prepares the trick the night before by filling the vase with water until it’s about 1/3 full.

-Next, she positions the vase on its side inside her freezer (to let the water freeze overnight).

-The next morning, she puts dry ice cubes inside to preserve the normal ice (which happens to be frozen on the side of the vase).

-Before she leaves to play tennis, Kotone sets the vase atop the shelf again with the AC running (to slow down the process of sublimation and melting of the ice).

-Afraid that the normal ice might already be melting, she creates an excuse to go back to her house as soon as possible: by “accidentally” hitting Conan in the head.

-After she goes up to Ishiguri’s room and supposedly asks if he wants any noodles, she takes out the dry ice from the vase and murders Ishiguri (she also decides to bang his racket on the side of the shelf to disguise the murder as an accident).

-To set up the timed “falling vase” trick, she then places the vase at the edge of the top of the shelf. Keep in mind that the majority of the vase needs to be hanging off of the shelf with the weighted side (with frozen ice attached) still on the shelf. That way, when most of the ice turns into liquid, the vase will fall off on its own due to the unbalanced water weight.

-In order for that to happen, Kotone turns off AC to speed up the process of melting. A few hours later, the vase would tip over and hit the ground, making it seem like Ishiguri’s death was unintentional.

The Locked Room Trick:

Here’s where the case gets more complex. In order for Kotone to leave the room locked with Ishiguri’s body against the door, she would need to come up with a trick. After she murders Ishiguri, she drags his legs and rotates his body away from the door. Then she takes the dry ice cubes (the shape of the ice could vary) from the vase that she used as a weapon and places them in a rectangular formation a few feet away from the door. Kotone then grabs the victim’s racket and gently places the center part (near the bottom of the head of the racket) on top of the two dry ice cubes furthest from the door. Keep in mind that the end part of the handle is still on the ground and the top part of the head is still hovering over the other two dry ice cubes. In order to make the racket “hover in midair,” Kotone drags the victim’s legs towards the racket and gently places his butt on the head of the racket (using the first two dry ice cubes as a fulcrum). Now the four dry ice cubes can act as legs for the hovering racket. After setting up this somewhat complex trick, Kotone leaves the room and locks the door. But how does she move Ishiguri’s body against the door from the outside? Well, if she cuts a long piece of tennis string, she would be able to thread it through the top of the racket, place both ends of the string in the hallway, close and lock the door, and pull the two ends of the string from the outside which ultimately glides Ishiguri’s body towards the door (with the help from the frictionless dry ice cubes below the racket). Now all she needs to do is pull one end of the string to retrieve the evidence. The raggedness of the racket was probably caused by Ishiguri’s weight pressing down on the racket with dry ice underneath. Maybe the sheer coldness of the dry ice also had something to do with it. And due to the hot air and Ishiguri's warm buttocks, the dry ice cubes will sublimate and eventually vanish from the crime scene.

Other Things to Note:

-The vase is made out of copper, a great conductor of heat, so shouldn’t Conan have felt the coldness emanating from the cold water inside the vase when he touched it? It’s probably due to the long period without AC (more heat conducted from the air to the vase than the coldness from the water to the vase).

-Note that Kotone showered some time after she went upstairs to ask Ishiguri if he wanted noodles (probably to cleanse her skin from any of the victim’s blood).

-On the cover of Chapter 826, there seems to be four dents on the racket, which further supports my gliding racket trick (though it's possible that more than four dry ice pieces were used as legs).

-Knowing that Machi would restring her racket later on, Kotone could have used the string from her own racket to glide Ishiguri’s lower body towards the door.

-The “air conditioning” that Ran and Machi felt under the door was the cool CO2 sublimating from the dry ice under the tennis racket (cold air is more dense than warm air).

-In order to melt the ice cream cake (to create an excuse as to why Ishiguri hasn’t eaten any of it), Kotone probably disposed the dry ice that helped preserve the cake. It’s even possible that she used those dry ice pieces for the locked room trick. And with the AC off, the ice cream will have melted.

-In fact, if there were any dry ice pieces left over, it wouldn't it hurt to leave them near the door and make others think (Ran and Machi) that the AC was running the entire time.

-I’m still unsure about Kotone’s frozen sports drink. What significance does it have in this case? Was it somehow used to get rid of the key?

-As for the key, there are several places to hide it. Although, it would make the most sense that Kotone disposed of it in the bathroom (down the bathtub drain) when she took a shower.

And… that’s what I have for now! I may need to add/change things later on though.

That's a pretty good deduction. I think the tennis racket dry ice body moving bit is likely spot on. For the vase, it could be that she shoved some ice/dry ice on one side, and balanced it without having to freeze it overnight. This would be faster and require less preplanning, but preplanning is indicated with the missing key, and your deduction does explain why the whole freezing water bottle element part of the story was brought up in the first place.

It's been a few days, so I think a double post is OK here...

The Culprit:

The Murder:

The Falling Vase:

The Locked Room Trick:

Other Things to Note:

Congrats on a nearly perfect deduction, AJ M.!

While Amuro seems to suspect Conan is the one making sleeping Kogoro, I also wonder if he thinks that Conan is being used by someone: someone has given Conan gadgets, is telling Conan what to do, and is making deductions through Conan/Kogoro. The only reason I suggest this option as a possible alternative to Conan being the sole person behind Sleeping Kogoro is that Amuro may still be looking for a way to insert Akai into the situation. Even though, I think the deduction that Conan is the mastermind is better given the evidence Amuro has, and may be the one he is pursuing given the picture at the end. (....maybe Amuro wants an apprentice?)

I hope the goal of this post-Bourbon arc is coming up with a strategy to trick Bourbon into buggering off. I would be pretty pleased with that plot development, especially if Ran gets suspicious of Conan as well.

Whatever happens, I think Vermouth is not going to be central to bailing Conan out of harm's way this time. In the past when she has protected Conan, she was either conveniently nearby (busjack) or used a little verbal persuasion (FBI vs BO x2). She is not close right now, and if she tries too hard to dissuade Bourbon, she risks focusing Bourbon's suspicion squarely on why she is pushing him from the course of action he is taking. At best, I think Vermouth might send a message to Conan/run into Conan in a dark alleyway and warn him of Bourbon's intentions.

I think Sera, Akai, and the rest of team Shin-chan are more likely to be the primary helpers. You could also throw Hattori and Kid in there if you wanted everything to be more complicated. If Kid is going to get involved, we will probably see hints of it next case. If Hattori knew that a BO member was hanging around, he would invite himself into the dead center of the problem like what happened with him and Jodie. That and Hattori would probably try to upstart Amuro in a case no matter what out of principle, because Hattori prefers to be more direct than subtle (and Hattori will get annoyed by Kazuha thinking Amuro is good looking).

There are two very immediate problems with Bourbon being suspicious of Conan because they can easily happen very soon: he could hear Shinichi is alive because the Mouris and their friends freely discuss Shinichi, or Amuro decides to stop by Agasa's or Kudo's house to get more info. The Shinichi problem is especially pressing because Sera has poked the issue before, and she may try to do it again. The major third problem, Amuro running into Ai while trying to intercept Conan, say on the way to school, can be alleviated by having Ai walk separately from them and not participate in any Detective Boys activities, like Kid heists. I wouldn't be surprised if Haibara will start doing this on Conan's recommendation anyway to be on the safe side since they know Bourbon has been hanging around.

I wonder where Vermouth is living, and if we have seen that building before in the manga.

wow this looks like it was a really good case. im sorry i missed it. congrats AJM for solving it. icon_e_biggrin.gif

So it seems Conan peaked Bourbons interest. The plot remains heated

@Chek i sure hope a Ran suspicion arc is coming soon. And I hope Bourbon is not looking into Conan just for a connection with Akai, even though its probably true. Something like he has a connection to him and that he is some type of spy for him.