• Heterosexual
    • Other
  2. 2. Romantic Orientation?

• Homoromantic
    • Biromantic
    • Aromantic
    • Heteroromantic
    • Other
  3. 3. Are your romantic/sexual orientations different?

• Yes
    • No

So I took a look through the thread and I think that it would be an excellent time to return back to the original topic of politics and social issues of concern to gay people, and away from topics about the validity of religion or certain religious interpretations. While religious issues are sometimes relevant to LGBT issues, it's one giant flamewar causing headache and as a moderator, I don't want to have to deal with it and the hurt feelings that come out of it. Let me be clear I am not picking sides, I don't want this to escalate anymore.

I agree, why is this thread pinned... Great... I've to delete my previous message here because I realize friends are now in different page. I'm having headache. I'm outta here.

added: Completely out.

So I took a look through the thread and I think that it would be an excellent time to return back to the original topic of politics and social issues of concern to gay people, and away from topics about the validity of religion or certain religious interpretations. While religious issues are sometimes relevant to LGBT issues, it's one giant flamewar causing headache and as a moderator, I don't want to have to deal with it and the hurt feelings that come out of it. Let me be clear I am not picking sides, I don't want this to escalate anymore.

I agree. This is a support thread, not a debate thread. Which is why I suggested those posts be split into a debate thread at moderator's discretion. Locking the topic would then be up to you or not if you feel that it escalated past the point of healthy theological debate (which I think it still was). Which is also why I moved my response to PM and we (Kindaichi and I) have agreed to a cease fire as it was going no where.

oh this thread is now discussing about beliefs...

Not any more I hope.

This man is obviously not a true Christian or he would have known that murder is against the Bible.(the only exception to this would be self-defense, but this was not self defense)

This man most likely is mentally ill.

You missed the point of the link... I used it as a bridge to bring the convo BACK to the discussion of homosexual persecution and support. That happened to be an unfortunate extreme case of a radical going too far. But the point was that homosexual persecution still occurs, that just happened to be a murder case that I found that crossed with Christianity (again I wanted to involve both sides), but with the object of leading away from the Christianity and bringing back in homosexuality, the point of this thread. There are radicals of all sorts that commit atrocities, whether they are religious, social or political, and they all have a target group. He happened to be a part of Christian radical group that targeted homosexuals. Something the majority probably had no issue with until this unfortunate case happened.

And it is an unfortunate fact that in many of the southern states, discrimination of peoples based on sexuality is widely accepted. Equality is a simple concept, that seems impossible to achieve at this time.

gah, I feel like I need to go find a good soap box after scanning this thread

being probably the only Jew on these boards, I could provide you with some more accurate representation of what's actually in the old testament... but I'm so frustrated by the entire thing, that I frankly don't think I could do so without blowing a gasket

suffice it to say that I am post-university and have friends who are still exploring their sexuality... frankly, for a long time I thought I knew where I stood, but as it turns out I'm really rather jealous of them... I don't know if it'll change anything for me, but I wish I knew how to be that bold

Here is another topic of discussion...

macbook.jpg

I don't even.... This was something someone I follow posted... I just... What ever happened to accepting your kid for who he/she is? Personally I think the first thing they suggested is more of a problem.

EDIT: Remember this is a support thread, I'm just trying to make discussion of current events.

She doesn't make any sense.... what a waste of space she type in. I don't trust her. I don't think she understand her son well, I've notice she assume things before she understand fully what son's thinking.

In my opinion, people who discriminate homo are even disgusting...they make it appear as though homos have fatal disease and needs to be isolated from the society. To be honest, I find homos comfortable to be with cause they are sensitive and can understand other's feelings better than those who are "normal". I have friends who are homo so I'm supporting this thread to strengthen the continued opposition.

• Upvote 1

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/06/15/500258/fifth-grader-marriage-equality/?mobile=nc

I'm not sure what to say... The speech is fantastic for a 5th grader. Far beyond what most would consider to be his maturity level. The teacher? Amazing, she selected this boy and his speech. Then the principle shuts him down? Now aside from the fact that is ridiculous. It is a speech competition, the most controversial topics are often the most compelling from EITHER side. And no topic is too "adult" if the people listening can understand and form an opinion on it. And then you have mixed messages... I mean... Teacher says "Excellent" and then the Principle says "choose another topic or be kicked out of the competition?" I feel bad for this kid, and I really hope that he gets to make his speech. Acceptance starts early, if this kid can get his school to be more accepting, it may spread and make the world a slightly better place.

This boy gives me hope for the future generation.

Alright, you guys. I know religion can be a big part of this, but please, that's not the main topic. And yes, this thread isn't for debates. Please read this:

In my opinion, people who discriminate homo are even disgusting...they make it appear as though homos have fatal disease and needs to be isolated from the society. To be honest, I find homos comfortable to be with cause they are sensitive and can understand other's feelings better than those who are "normal". I have friends who are homo so I'm supporting this thread to strengthen the continued opposition.

I do agree with this, but we should be a little careful with the "disgusting". It is a bit hypocritical if you hate racism but are homophobic. But everyone has a fear of something. Let's not fight, okay guys?

Here is another topic of discussion...

macbook.jpg

Originally I didn't think I will be discussing this, but now parental issues are in concern.

(The bold parts are directly quoted from the mother's words).

Okay first: L-M-A-O !!!!

The mother is so naive. Does she really think THAT can "change" her son ? Not only that this doesn't actually "correct" her son's "problem", but the boy will only pretend to be "straight/normal/whatever..." in front of her face, but when he's alone or with others, he will still be himself and there's nothing she can do about it (not that the thing she asked him to do is possible in the first place). In other words, he doesn't need any "change" BUT still get a new Mac or whatever he wants at the same time... I always do this with my manipulative parents (even though my situation is not the same). icon_twisted.gif

But unfortunately, not everyone is like me, so I will have to see the situation with a general point of view. Okay so assume that the boy will choose to obey and "work with his mother" to "correct" something that's not even his fault, this kind of "solution" will only affect his psychological life, and will most likely lead to some serious mental unstableness or deep depression (<-- been there, done that rolleyes.gif ), because what she's asking her son to do is changing his nature, changing who he really is. I'm sure psychologists and experts can explain this better than me. I mean, just imagine yourself being forced to become a completely different person against your will, to give up on being yourself. Of course you cannot just follow easily, but when you have no other choice, you will be struggling doing something that's not even possible, meanwhile desperately trying to keep the "you" alive inside your soul, because you haven't fully given up yet. That alone can already cause some levels of depression.

But now that she's already planted the "fact" that homosexual is a "problem", a bad thing that needs to be "corrected" inside the boy's head, his mind will always have to struggle between the following thoughts (respectively): "I am a bad kid, and I need to change immediately!"; "But that's who I am, I just cannot change that fact, no matter how hard I tried!"; "But no, that's BAD! I must change myself!"; "I just CANNOT change! ARG!!"; "No, I will NOT change! I am who I want to be!!......................... BUT THAT's BAAAAAAAD!!!!!" and so on.

Just reading this makes your brain explodes, let alone going through the same experience yourself. I don't think I want to know how will this mother feel if her son chooses to commit suicide because of mental problems. I don't want that to happen though...

But you know what is more facepalming ? The horrifying fact that she thinks making some "deal" with her son can truly helps her achieving what she wants. No money, Macbook or whatever can "buy" her son's "normality". Either that it would be useless as he would only pretend to obey in front of her; or that it would lead to even more mental depressions. What this "good parent" needs to understand is that sexual orientation can never be "altered" entirely (if not UNchangeable), because like I said, it's essentially changing oneself's true nature, which is impossible. And it's NOT a problem, so it NEVER need to be changed. But of course if she had already known those obvious facts then this ridiculous thing hadn't even been written in the first place. :lol:

Enough of this mother. This is obviously not just one family's matter, many other parents whose children are homosexuals are the same. They all need to learn to accept the reality, and the nature of their kids. Giving them mental pressures by forcing them to change does not help. I know this is not at all easy because not only that the parents have to stand against themselves, but also against the whole society. However, that's why we need to FIGHT. IF EVEN ONE'S PARENTS CANNOT SUPPORT THEIR OWN CHILD THEN HOW WILL THAT CHILD SURVIVE IN THIS CRUEL SOCIETY ??? In fact, I've heard of many wonderful parents all over the world who have totally overcome the public's hatred and learned to accept their children, giving them the love they need and the chance, the faith for them to grow up and fulfill their dreams, becoming a successful person AS A GAY/LESBIAN. This proves that it is NOT impossible if we FIGHT !!!

Anyway, more personally, I am "Asexual" (yes, really). I'm not attracted to any gender. I also don't care about love or sex in general. I once thought that this is not normal, and "forced" myself to confess to one girl that I don't even like and got rejected XDDD. I sometimes also considered the idea that I'm actually gay, but I found out that I don't like males anymore than females... However, now I don't even give a damn about it, I have better things to waste my time on. I support people of every sexual orientation when it comes to human's rights.

P/S: Sorry for my horrible English, it's OK if you don't understand it XDDD

• Upvote 2

well i find the personalities of the homos are mostly funny type so its easy to get along with them.

That seems to be the type of generalization everyone gives homosexuals... It's not true, really, but in a way I agree. One of my friends is bi and he's a bit... rough around the edges. But he's still a person, and all people are unique.

That seems to be the type of generalization everyone gives homosexuals... It's not true, really, but in a way I agree. One of my friends is bi and he's a bit... rough around the edges. But he's still a person, and all people are unique.

^ this. I was going to say something similar, but didn't want to seem stand-offish. I believe in treating people as individuals rather than groups. Sure I'll make stereotype jokes, and usually in the presence of someone in the stereotyped group. But that is all in fun. I still treat the person as if those stereotypes did not exist.

I really respect openly homosexual guys and girls. I am heterosexual, but I doubt that if I weren't I'd have the courage to admit it in a society where people look down on others because of a choice that has nothing to do with them. I support people of every sexuality because I know that it doesn't matter what gender, race, religion, or sexuality you are, as long as you are willing to love the person you are with and don't discriminate against others because of their choices, whether they hate you without just cause or support choices you are against. Last year, before he moved, my then-boyfriend was often teased by another boy and called 'homo' or 'gay' even when we were together. I used to just tell the guy responsible to shut up and leave him alone, but one day Curtis told him, "You know what? I'm bisexual." After that he was left alone, and I knew that to him it wasn't an insult to be seen as homosexual. It was a brave thing for him to say, as he admitted later. He thought that maybe I would dump him after learning this, likely because of his strict religious upbringing and his parents' beliefs. I just gave him a smile and said something that made him drop the idea: "Are you kidding me? Now I know I beat out every girl, and guy in the school to have you as my boyfriend." He's still one of my best friends, despite us only being able to see one another every few months, and we decided that if neither of us has met someone else by then, we'll start dating again once high school ends. No matter the decisions someone else makes, as long as it doesn't hurt you or another person, it isn't our job to tell them that it's wrong, or 'disgusting.' I say that if you are happy with the person you're with, no one else should be allowed to ruin it for you with their views and stereotyping~

• Upvote 8

Everything has been getting better lately -- for me, at least.

The person of my affection and I had this "Honesty Hour" type of thing where we could say whatever was on our minds... It was great. Anyways, I ended up telling her about my feelings and in a way, reciprocates them. ^^ We're trying to figure things out at the moment, but... I'm happy to know.

As I walk around in public, rarely, but occasionally, I do see homosexual couples holding hands and it makes me happy to know that people can do that now. They can hold hands with who they like in public and it's nice to see.

• Upvote 3

Thank you! ^^

It turns out the GSA at my school was shut down this year because there wasn't enough... money, apparently. :/ I believe one of the teacher's who's in charge of it is going to talk to the principal about it, and I sure hope we can set it up again.

What kinda makes me mad: I told my parents about what I think my sexuality is. They're okay with it, but they seem a bit uncomfortable whenever I talk abut it and my mom always has this look in her eyes saying, "This is just a phase."

She also won't let me sleep over at my friend's house simply because of my sexuality now. She's my FRIEND. It's not fair to either of us... I mean, I could understand if it was a relationship, but it's not.

Oh, and did anyone hear about the people who were boycotting the Oreo company simply because they said they supported gay rights? One person replied to it and it was just... amazing. Here:

tumblr_m6fqkx8WER1qjsewxo1_500.jpg

Kudos to whoever this person is.

• Upvote 1

I remember the rainbow Oreo! :o I was utterly stupefied at how many people said they were going to stop eating Oreos since the company supported gay rights. I could almost feel the hostility through the computer screen- how could so many people be this up over gay rights? I was absolutely shocked.

But I'm glad someone typed up that response, because it shows how ignorant the rest of those posters were being. The world is changing fast- and the anti-gay community is going to have to change as well. In fifty years, they'll be the ones scrutinized by the future, just like how we look at the past and criticize all the racists who wanted to strip colored people of their rights.

@Chelsea: I'm glad that you came out to them, but I'm disappointed in your parents' reaction. It does sound really maddening. Maybe you could try to have a long discussion on your sexuality with them, telling them that just because you like girls doesn't mean you like every girl you see, just like being doesn't mean you like every guy you see. You can still have a girl as a friend, just like you can have a guy as a friend, and you don't have to be attracted to them. Tell them NOTHING has changed- the only difference is that now they know. As simple as that. They shouldn't be judging you for it, they shouldn't worry, they shouldn't be acting like its just "a phase"- it's as much a phase as me being Chinese. <I>It's not going to change.</I> Educate them more on gay rights and get them completely on your side- that's what you deserve and more. They're your parents, and they're to accept you completely anyways. They just need a push. Best of luck to you!

• Upvote 1

Freedom of speech? Isn't it early to say? As supporter as I am, as you are independent, even you feel responsible, and I'm standing neutral if I have to choose sides whether to 'fight' family if it's about support. I know it matters to both sides, but let's think this way, please don't say years are burden after you go through childhood, which parents don't react to message if it's straightforward? If I sincerely support gay rights, I don't support any person use this reason to press parents support overnight as this gay support deciding not to be discriminate. Why I say this? All parents need courage to accept if you make your decision, you sincerely believe they accept straightaway without mentally preparation? Yes, many parents will go overboard to prove, and logically some parents had started to think whether their children choose gay straight is to spite them if it didn't brought up right way. You can't push them with hard straight words, think about it, what if they convinced in subtle way when they can? accept. They want to know how serious you both are, people! childhood to adulthood 9 years straight with parents, if they don't show emotions they're not human. And of course, it depends on your stand and approach of getting message across... They are parents. :)

Well, I don't think you guys quite understand.

I told my parents several months ago, but every time I bring it up my mom just has that... look in her eyes and it's extremely annoying. It gets kinda tense after.

If I ever have a child, or adopt one for that matter and they come to me and say, "Mom... I'm homosexual" or bisexual, I'm just going to say, "Alright. What do you want for dinner?"

Please treat it like it's normal. The kid wouldn't want anymore stress and if they need to talk about it, I'll listen. But the upcoming generations should learn that homosexuality isn't unnatural. There are many things that are unnatural that are human made things and technology. That's not natural, yet we still use it and it's a big aspect of our life.