Detective Conan World
Kyuu Nye

The end of DCTP Anime Fansubs

really sad about this, but as long as the manga gets translated I’ll be able to follow the raws and read manga for the translation… I just hope there is a backup of the conan-tv site and that it’ll be able to go up again when Funimation loses the rights

*sniff* Thank you DCTP, for all your hard work. You guys are awesome, and I will never forget you. *bows* Thank you.

One quetion: Does this mean that NO ONE is allowed to sub it? Not even other fansubbers that sometimes/occasionally sub, or is it just DCTP that isn't allowed to..? *a bit confused*

strictly speaking, I think it just means DCTP can’t host Conan episodes anymore, but they could even keep subbing it themselves and distribute it in other ways; bottom fact is, fansubbing is illegal and it’s up to copyright holders whether or not to press charges

Just to let you all know I think contacting FUNi is a terrible idea. It lets them know their takedown was effective and may bring additional trouble for DCTP. Same goes for petitions. They don't care. The Detective Conan property is not profitable to them, so there will not be releasing any more in English no matter how much fan begging there is.

Personally, I hope that someone other company picks up the property when FUNi's contract expires, so I fear that giving FUNi attention may only encourage FUNi to renew it for longer and therefore not give anyone else who might think more official subs is a good idea a chance.

Ok, thank you ^^"

I guess I should just stick to learning a little more Japanese and guessing the rest--can't be too hard, they really do illustrate a lot in DC.

strictly speaking, I think it just means DCTP can’t host Conan episodes anymore, but they could even keep subbing it themselves and distribute it in other ways; bottom fact is, fansubbing is illegal and it’s up to copyright holders whether or not to press charges

This is incorrect. Subbing DC in anyway is already breaking intellectual copyright laws. "Distributing it in other ways." Well... That has the word "distribution" in it. That is bad. There is no way to distribute it that wouldn't get us in trouble. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. There is quite literally nothing we can do. We are already on their radar, so to speak. We are releasing the last two episodes we were working on and that is it. After that it is done and over with. It was a fun ride while it lasted.

So strictly speaking, its over. If we even dare to do something, it is very likely that further action will be taken. Which would be very bad for us.

This is all final. Please, do not try to work the system, there is no working the system in this case. If there was a way, believe me, we would know, and would have tried it. There isn't. Please everyone, try and accept this. Suggesting further illegal actions is only going to make things worse. Do you really want DCTP to come back, only to have the first court case of fansubbers against Funimation, in a legal battle we cannot win? With those involved fined heavily or possibly jailed? This may sound harsh, but STOP THINKING OF YOURSELVES AND YOUR "DC FIX" AND THINK OF THE POSITION THOSE WHOM ARE ACTIVELY INVOLVED ARE IN! THIS IS NOT A GAME AND THERE ARE REAL CONSEQUENCES!

I just hope that when their contract runs out, a company like Viz Media takes it up. Remember when Naruto stopped? Viz started subbing them and posting them online, and after seeing how popular it actually was, they started dubbing Shippuden.

It's a long shot since DC isn't that popular, but I hope it happens!

I just hope that when their contract runs out, a company like Viz Media takes it up. Remember when Naruto stopped? Viz started subbing them and posting them online, and after seeing how popular it actually was, they started dubbing Shippuden.

It's a long shot since DC isn't that popular, but I hope it happens!

Viz treats all non-Jump properties like junk, so I wouldn't want that to be honest. They still haven't released Naoki Urasawa's Monster on DVD or Bluray. They've only put it for streaming. They have only the first volume and that is it. I fear that American companies are starting to see Jump properties as the only real profitable properties. And unfortunately it is because of fansubbing. Unless people start using legal means of watching these shows like Hulu, Netflix and Crunchyroll and buying on a regular basis properties that these companies own, long running series like DC won't fair well.

Viz treats all non-Jump properties like junk, so I wouldn't want that to be honest. They still haven't released Naoki Urasawa's Monster on DVD or Bluray. They've only put it for streaming. They have only the first volume and that is it. I fear that American companies are starting to see Jump properties as the only real profitable properties. And unfortunately it is because of fansubbing. Unless people start using legal means of watching these shows like Hulu, Netflix and Crunchyroll and buying on a regular basis properties that these companies own, long running series like DC won't fair well.

Well, shucks. Time to go back to my old crunchyroll account.

This is incorrect. Subbing DC in anyway is already breaking intellectual copyright laws. "Distributing it in other ways." Well... That has the word "distribution" in it. That is bad. There is no way to distribute it that wouldn't get us in trouble. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. There is quite literally nothing we can do. We are already on their radar, so to speak. We are releasing the last two episodes we were working on and that is it. After that it is done and over with. It was a fun ride while it lasted.

So strictly speaking, its over. If we even dare to do something, it is very likely that further action will be taken. Which would be very bad for us.

This is all final. Please, do not try to work the system, there is no working the system in this case. If there was a way, believe me, we would know, and would have tried it. There isn't. Please everyone, try and accept this. Suggesting further illegal actions is only going to make things worse. Do you really want DCTP to come back, only to have the first court case of fansubbers against Funimation, in a legal battle we cannot win? With those involved fined heavily or possibly jailed? This may sound harsh, but STOP THINKING OF YOURSELVES AND YOUR "DC FIX" AND THINK OF THE POSITION THOSE WHOM ARE ACTIVELY INVOLVED ARE IN! THIS IS NOT A GAME AND THERE ARE REAL CONSEQUENCES!

wow, way to go and completely misunderstand me

I simply explained that all fansubbing is illegal, and it exists only because copyright holders ignore fansubbers; it’s true that DCTP could keep subbing it and distribute it on say, YouTube, but I never said you should do that. don’t put words in my mouth

wow, way to go and completely misunderstand me

I simply explained that all fansubbing is illegal, and it exists only because copyright holders ignore fansubbers; it’s true that DCTP could keep subbing it and distribute it on say, YouTube, but I never said you should do that. don’t put words in my mouth

That is still distribution, and they would still sue us. It doesn't matter how its done. Distribution is still distribution. And illegally obtaining episodes for subbing is still illegally obtaining episodes for subbing. There was no misunderstanding. Allow me to put it to you this way... DCW wasn't even hosting episodes and Funimation sent them a DMCA notice for the watch section. Those were ALL youtube videos or other site. Do you really think they would be more lenient with DCTP whom has already received a DMCA and was told to stop their activities? Really?

Edit: Also... That is exactly what you implied by saying "strictly speaking, I think it just means DCTP can’t host Conan episodes anymore, but they could even keep subbing it themselves and distribute it in other ways."

We cannot distribute in anyway, we cannot sub in anyway. Doing either will get us sued. End of story. We could sub for personal use, legally obtained episodes. But that wouldn't do anyone much good because only a couple of people would see it.

That is still distribution, and they would still sue us. It doesn't matter how its done. Distribution is still distribution. And illegally obtaining episodes for subbing is still illegally obtaining episodes for subbing. There was no misunderstanding. Allow me to put it to you this way... DCW wasn't even hosting episodes and Funimation sent them a DMCA notice for the watch section. Those were ALL youtube videos or other site. Do you really think they would be more lenient with DCTP whom has already received a DMCA and was told to stop their activities? Really?

Edit: Also... That is exactly what you implied by saying "strictly speaking, I think it just means DCTP can’t host Conan episodes anymore, but they could even keep subbing it themselves and distribute it in other ways."

We cannot distribute in anyway, we cannot sub in anyway. Doing either will get us sued. End of story. We could sub for personal use, legally obtained episodes. But that wouldn't do anyone much good because only a couple of people would see it.

I absolutely agree with you.

But in ALAKTORN's defense, he/she did say "bottom fact is, fansubbing is illegal and it’s up to copyright holders whether or not to press charges". ALAKTORN was just serving the possibility that DCTP can continue distributing the episodes without permission/rights; however, it is not possible to continue distributing the episodes without permission/rights AND GET AWAY WITH IT (which is what you described).

Just another misunderstanding is all...

a few years ago i've been trying to register to funimation website. I don't know if it is only me, but i find it difficult to register to their site. And I give up on the idea of registering.

Well, for these issue; All I can say is,it is better to abide with their rules. Well it's their rights after all. Sadly we can't do anything about it. As what the others have been saying it will only make matters worst if we push complain more.

For the staff of DCTP thank you for your dedication and hard work.

@Kyuu Nye: maybe I misused the word “host”, but what I meant was not doing anything on the DCTP site and just uploading vids to YT as random users, or by other methods of distribution. I didn’t mean that DCTP could link to other sites with fansubs; but that it could be taken out of the DCTP website and still be continued

edit: …and with this I don’t mean that the DCTP fansubbing staff should do this (I guess I would like it, but I won’t force anyone), I was simply explaining the possibilities because some people were confused

@Kyuu Nye: maybe I misused the word “host”, but what I meant was not doing anything on the DCTP site and just uploading vids to YT as random users, or by other methods of distribution. I didn’t mean that DCTP could link to other sites with fansubs; but that it could be taken out of the DCTP website and still be continued

In order for that idea to work dctp would have to create a proxy with a fake IP, multiple in fact, that were untraceable. Then we would have to make multiple accounts for email and YouTube so that when one gets shut down we could use another. And we would be in a constant state of reuploading.

Basically it's more trouble than it's worth.

Edit: only dctp staff could do it. No one else has access to the episodes. Also there is still that whole cease and desist from funi, so if we are in any way implicated in subbing and the subsequent distribution, we get sued.

Everyone, Kyuu knows this better than the wide majority of us do. Legal trouble is legal trouble. I've actually asked lawyers from my dad's firm what could happen, and depending on how much was done, especially after a cease and desist, it's not going to be pretty. Kyuu's right in saying that key people could end up getting jailed. There is no way DCTP could come out with anything less than very heavy fines.

If you want to get your DC fix, do it the old fashioned way. Do your best to learn the language, and buy it the seasons legally. I know I was willing to try and fight this before, but there really is no way of going about this and staying perfectly legal the entire time.

• Upvote 1

In order for that idea to work dctp would have to create a proxy with a fake IP, multiple in fact, that were untraceable. Then we would have to make multiple accounts for email and YouTube so that when one gets shut down we could use another. And we would be in a constant state of reuploading.

Basically it's more trouble than it's worth.

Edit: only dctp staff could do it. No one else has access to the episodes. Also there is still that whole cease and desist from funi, so if we are in any way implicated in subbing and the subsequent distribution, we get sued.

I'm sorry but what Alaktron says it's true. Basicly, another fansub group could pick up the series, and begin subbing it - without having any ties to DCTP. That wouldn't make it legal, but make it possible to have new fansubbed DC episodes on the internet - but that would only work untill that new group get caught and recieve a DCMA...

BTW, has Funi the rights in other countries than North America - If not, who has the rights in all the other countries (TMS)????

I'm sorry but what Alaktron says it's true. Basicly, another fansub group could pick up the series, and begin subbing it - without having any ties to DCTP. That wouldn't make it legal, but make it possible to have new fansubbed DC episodes on the internet - but that would only work untill that new group get caught and recieve a DCMA...

that’s pretty much what I was trying to say

BTW, has Funi the rights in other countries than North America - If not, who has the rights in all the other countries (TMS)????

What Alakton said was that we were banned only from distro and we could continue subbing if we used YouTube. That is in no way correct. What you say is though. Another group, unaffiliated with dctp, could sub it and distribute it until they get caught. That is not what alakton suggested though, end of story. DCTP is done. No scheme or method exists for dctp to continue.

What Alakton said was that we were banned only from distro and we could continue subbing if we used YouTube. That is in no way correct. What you say is though. Another group, unaffiliated with dctp, could sub it and distribute it until they get caught. That is not what alakton suggested though, end of story. DCTP is done. No scheme or method exists for dctp to continue.

we said the exact same thing, on the Internet you’d hardly be traceable as DCTP staff if you removed all bonds with that site

and you keep saying that DCTP is done. I know that. I keep saying I’m talking about possibilities, not about what will or should happen; chill out

edit: I was trying to explain the legal situation to the forum, but you seem to have taken it as a personal attack to the DCTP group or something

we said the exact same thing, on the Internet you’d hardly be traceable as DCTP staff if you removed all bonds with that site

and you keep saying that DCTP is done. I know that. I keep saying I’m talking about possibilities, not about what will or should happen

No... Doesn't work like that. Creating a new group with the same people would be found out because of Mac addresses and IP addresses. That would be the best way for the staff members to be seen as dodging a legal request and to make matters worse, which would result in a harsher sentence.

You are not anonymous on the internet. That is an illusion. You have to do a lot to become entirely anonymous. Which is a lot of trouble. Trying to use that pseudo anonymity to do illegal acts after being told nicely not to, would be really dumb and would not end well.

Edit: I don't think you understand the legal situation. Everything you are suggesting would lead to worse consequences. I'm not sure you realize this but there are friends of DCTP whom are lawyers. And myself have been to school for science in a school designed for criminal justice and have taken courses in computer forensics as electives. I know more about this situation than you do. If that was not clear then I apologize, but what you are saying is wrong, plain and simple.

Don't be so harsh - not everyone got their way with the words each time... You need to understand, that me and Alaktron don't say what DCTP can and cannot. DCTP is over (Atleast when we talk about weekly Episodes).

Now, what i meant (And Alaktron meant, his examples are just misunderstood) is that another group could do it. Don't talk about is DCTP can do it or not - it's pointless.

When I mean another group (I don't know if that also what Alaktron mean), i mean a group that does not got any members from DCTP. A group with no ties at all to DCTP...

Don't be so harsh - not everyone got their way with the words each time... You need to understand, that me and Alaktron don't say what DCTP can and cannot. DCTP is over (Atleast when we talk about weekly Episodes).

Now, what i meant (And Alaktron meant, his examples are just misunderstood) is that another group could do it. Don't talk about is DCTP can do it or not - it's pointless.

When I mean another group (I don't know if that also what Alaktron mean), i mean a group that does not got any members from DCTP. A group with no ties at all to DCTP...

What you and alakton are saying ate completely different. What you say is correct, what alakton says is not. I don't know how to make myself clearer. And if I sound like I'm being harsh it's because I am. I've read too much from fans that only seem to care about themselves and how they are affected and not of the staff whom have real issues because of this. It is infuriating to hear all of the fans create different crazy schemes that won't work because their precious DC source is now gone.

Alakton is wrong, you are right. End of story.

No... Doesn't work like that. Creating a new group with the same people would be found out because of Mac addresses and IP addresses. That would be the best way for the staff members to be seen as dodging a legal request and to make matters worse, which would result in a harsher sentence.

You are not anonymous on the internet. That is an illusion. You have to do a lot to become entirely anonymous. Which is a lot of trouble. Trying to use that pseudo anonymity to do illegal acts after being told nicely not to, would be really dumb and would not end well.

Edit: I don't think you understand the legal situation. Everything you are suggesting would lead to worse consequences. I'm not sure you realize this but there are friends of DCTP whom are lawyers. And myself have been to school for science in a school designed for criminal justice and have taken courses in computer forensics as electives. I know more about this situation than you do. If that was not clear then I apologize, but what you are saying is wrong, plain and simple.

that’s fine and it’s how you should’ve replied at first, I know I could’ve been wrong on the legal situation as I’m no expert on it; but you went total defensive on the DCTP group which I wasn’t trying to attack, just that

edit: …and I’m no crazy fan, I don’t like how you are addressing me

Have to wait for a new fansub team or start a petition to have funimation English sub the episodes since it is cheaper than english dub. Which equals cheaper DVD sets. I would buy any version of Detective Conan/Case Closed. I wouldn’t mind english dub or sub. Most likely the next fansub group will be shut down as well.

SIGN TO SAVE?

Petition to Save Series in the U.S.

TWEET OR FACEBOOK OR REPOST

post-8624-0-38816700-1338751130_thumb.pn