Detective Conan World
Kyuu Nye

The end of DCTP Anime Fansubs

Hello DCW,

I'm not sure if you have heard the news, but due to DMCA filing (the very same filing that ended the Watch section here) DCTP has been asked to cease and desist the translation and distribution of the Detective Conan anime by Funimation Entertainment.

We loved doing it over the years, but all good things must come to an end. Now, before I link to Jd-'s official statement over at DCTP, I want to make my position, and what seems to me, the general position of DCTP as a whole very clear...

FUNimation was just doing their job in protecting THEIR copyright and distribution rights for Detective Conan. THEY are not at fault, WE ARE! In subbing Detective Conan, we were technically doing something ILLEGAL. Please do NOT hate Funimation for this. And certainly do not do anything against Funimation, including sending hate mail or anything of the sort. Please DO support them and their property.

Over at DCTP we are VERY CLEAR of that. And I for one, as a staff member of DCTP, will treat any negative ACTION (even if spoken and not serious) as a serious transgression both on the forums and in the DCTP cbox. You are free to air frustration, but the second you start creating a negative image of this community as a whole, you are ONLY DOING HARM, and it will be treated as thus.

This is what Jd- had to say about it.

On behalf of DCTP, we thank you for your support, and it was fun.

Best,

Kyuu

PS: YES, Manga WILL continue. Viz has not done the same, but please do not be surprised if they do. However it is LESS likely as we encourage the purchase of the Viz manga on our main site and do not distribute back issues.

Also, we do NOT know how this will affect the Movies or OVAs, but it is likely that they will be affected similarly. However that is in current discussion and we do not know. PLEASE DO NOT ASK US!

• Upvote 10

Okay, I'm done blowing hot air about this. I've just got to bump up my Japanese learning sessions, and buy every DVD after this. It'll all be okay, right?

Great. Now I really have to study Japanese and watch raws.

I admit I'm furious about this, but I need to accept this fact.

Thanks for the great work, Kyuu and other people from DCTP and other fansubbing groups dead or alive. I really appreciate your effort in making everyone understand what is happening in the series.

Great. Now I really have to study Japanese and watch raws.

I admit I'm furious about this, but I need to accept this fact.

Thanks for the great work, Kyuu and other people from DCTP and other fansubbing groups dead or alive. I really appreciate your effort in making everyone understand what is happening in the series.

Ok fine. <_< But that still doesn't change the fact that I'm in a bad mood. 4debf97e44f2633fac764.gif4debf97e44f2642600e45.gif

To all the members of DCTP staff, 4debf97eg6798e26b9d7a.gif thanks for all the hard work! 4debf97e4469c3456a6cb.gif

Now, to go cry in a corner...

4debf97e4469c407d2133.gif

As I've said, its fine to be angry, upset, or even frustrated over this turn of events. But realize it was going to happen sooner or later...

And you can air out your frustrations, but don't place blame on FUNi as it isn't their fault that we broke copyright law, quite knowingly I might add.

If you want you can contact FUNi, and respectfully request they give DC the same treatment as they do One Piece and simulcast it. But I stress the "respectfully" part. Being mean or venomous to them serves no good, and only makes this community and fandom look bad, and that helps no one.

Basically support FUNi, don't blame or hate them.

As I've said, its fine to be angry, upset, or even frustrated over this turn of events. But realize it was going to happen sooner or later...

I expect this to happen sometime in the future, but I kinda forgot about it until now.

Well, all I can say is, DCTP, thank you for all the hard work and effort you've put in subbing the DC series for all of the DC all over the world. Thank you. 875328cc.gif

Well...okay... I completely understand FUNimation's position. And moping isn't going to get us anywhere.

So, what are our options? What can we do? Can we draw up a petition or something to ask FUNimation if they can simulcast it instead of individually asking or...?

• Upvote 1

Well...okay... I completely understand FUNimation's position. And moping isn't going to get us anywhere.

So, what are our options? What can we do? Can we draw up a petition or something to ask FUNimation if they can simulcast it instead of individually asking or...?

I agree with this. There's got to be enough people willing to sign one.

I agree with this. There's got to be enough people willing to sign one.

I'm sure we can find enough people to sign it, with the amount of members and fans on DCTP and DCW and of course, we members can recruit more people...the question is, is it doable? Will there be any repercussions?

I'm sure we can find enough people to sign it, with the amount of members and fans on DCTP and DCW and of course, we members can recruit more people...the question is, is it doable? Will there be any repercussions?

That, I do not know.

Is it possible to host a petition-type thingy on DCTP or here on DCW? Has one already been started? Er....... can the mods help us answer some of the questions? ^^;;

Oh dear, and it really seemed as if DCTP was going to stand the test of time. Ah well, at least the manga is still around and that's all that's really important to me. I only watch the anime for the openings and endings (which I'll be able to find floating around the internet as time goes on anyhow). I wonder how the movies and OVAs will hold out? Oh god, if all this waiting for M-16 so far is about to go to waste...

Not sure if skyechan said it here, but I'll copy and paste from a pose on her tumblr, which makes a lot of sense.

People:

***It doesn’t matter that FUNi hasn’t released all the episodes under the sun for DC, the point of the matter is they legally own the rights for the distribution of DC *as a whole* through out North America.***

(And YES. That does include episodes you all claim they have no ownership over because they themselves haven’t released them.)

That said DCTP:

1) is not endorsed by FUNi by any stretch of the imagination and

2) not a licensed/legal re-distributor of the series. FUNi had every right to file a DCMA complaint, regardless whether they ever planned on releasing the remaining episodes or not.

E-mailing FUNi…:

1) Will not improve the situation in any way (might just make the situation WORSE)

2) goes against Jd-’s wishes and

3) is an absolutely terrible idea.

What you SHOULD do:

1) Stop complaining. It’s gone, it’s not coming back. You don’t live in North America? Oh well. A majority of us on this forum (including what I assume is a majority of the DCTP staff) do and are therefore bound by the laws.

2) Show support for the series in your home country by buying released DVDs/VHS/whatever if that is an option available to you.

3) E-mail not FUNimation, but rather legal streaming sites such as crunchyroll or Hulu to ask them about getting Case Closed for their sites. Perhaps if the streaming of the already released episodes by FUNi proves popular enough, FUNi would be willing to eventually start releasing later episodes sub-only for online viewing (akin to what they do with One Piece). It’s a long shot, but really, this would be a far better course of action than whining about how you can’t stream DC illegally anymore. :|

On a side note:

Viz Media owns the distribution rights of the manga in North America. DCTP currently removes all volumes that has been released stateside and replaces them with links to where the previous volumes can be purchased on Amazon BUT (just tossing that out there) the possibility still remains that, yeah, Viz could shut down all of DCTP if they wanted. Again, doesn’t matter that the newer volumes haven’t been released yet: Viz owns the distribution rights. DCTP does not.

Show support for the manga in your home country by purchasing volumes in your language from a primary distributor (read: book store/Amazon/insert name of online official bookstore of your choosing here) if the option if available to you. In North America, I recommend pre-ordering especially if that is an option for you. Please note that buying used volumes/pre-owned/not brand new or new but from just a random seller online will not really support the series. Yeah, you get a volume cheaper and you did technically buy a legal copy, but Viz (or whatever the distributor for your home country is) won’t get money from it.

Viz/distributor -> not getting money -> eventually decides to drop series if series doesn’t prove to be a money-maker = BAD.

Oh dear, and it really seemed as if DCTP was going to stand the test of time. Ah well, at least the manga is still around and that's all that's really important to me. I only watch the anime for the openings and endings (which I'll be able to find floating around the internet as time goes on anyhow). I wonder how the movies and OVAs will hold out? Oh god, if all this waiting for M-16 so far is about to go to waste...

DCTP (specifically Jd-) said that we'll have to wait their decision about that.

Just to let you all know I think contacting FUNi is a terrible idea. It lets them know their takedown was effective and may bring additional trouble for DCTP. Same goes for petitions. They don't care. The Detective Conan property is not profitable to them, so there will not be releasing any more in English no matter how much fan begging there is.

Personally, I hope that someone other company picks up the property when FUNi's contract expires, so I fear that giving FUNi attention may only encourage FUNi to renew it for longer and therefore not give anyone else who might think more official subs is a good idea a chance.

• Upvote 7

I'm going to really miss DCTP's work on the series. They provided among the best fan subbing work I have ever scene. I have a lot of respect for them and their hard work and it will be hard for both me and others to adjust to what has happened.

If I may propose a possible idea:

The idea brought up earlier about an email/petition personally sounds promising. A petition and email can be sent to both Funimation and Crunchyroll to begin negotiations for simulcasting Detective Conan on the web for future episodes. I would even stretch this idea further by saying Funimation could save operational costs by contracting DCTP, who have obviously shown they are willing to provide subtitling for free. This way, all would be legal, Funimation still holds the rights, and we get the series in the DCTP quality that we all know and enjoy.

I think Funimation would listen if we could provide an incentive for them to restart the series and if thousands of us said it at the same time.

I have a question...

>>will there be a chance that DCTP can again fansub the series??? ^_^"

A very very slim chance. Basically the license would have to expire from Funimation and TMS not care about fansubbing. And of course the staff all still be around when that happens.

However, remember, there is a chance that this happened at the request of TMS, so if that is the case, then it's never coming back ever.