Detective Conan World
shioriserashio

german chatroom

if you are interested in german lesson than have a read

german is easier than japanese, similar to english

i am going to post some clips for you to listen. i am not good at teaching. sorry

german alpabet

that is it for now because i dont know what to teach. if you have any question in german than ask me

Well, that's the second time that I've seen someone write "Y" as "Üpsilon".

I guess it is somewhat logical but I still am used to write it "Ypsilon".

I'm learning German and my teacher always writes "Ypsilon", so I do it too.

As a person from Germany myself I can say that "Ypsilon" should be the right way to write it because - as far as I know - it's related to the 20th letter in the Greek alphabet of the same name, which is also written "Ypsilon" in German.

Well in fact I knew already how to say my name. But that substantives are wrote with capitals, that's new.

Oh and just note that Substantive comes from Latin and that is also same in Finnish (substanttiivi)

I started learning German back in late September on Duolingo and have been enjoying it a ton so far! I'm not too far along but I can read a few simple sentences. Like when I see comments on youtube that are in German, I can usually get the gist of them. Due to me learning online though my pronunciation's probably horrible.

• Upvote 1

I started learning German back in late September on Duolingo and have been enjoying it a ton so far! I'm not too far along but I can read a few simple sentences. Like when I see comments on youtube that are in German, I can usually get the gist of them. Due to me learning online though my pronunciation's probably horrible.

Same here!! Duolingo is amazing!!! xP :D

Does anyone here understand the word "doch"? I can get that it's like a negative and is used usually along with "nicht" in sentences but I'm kinda at a lost for it, like I have no idea when it's supposed to be used vs when it's not

Seid ihr Deutsch? :0

Ich habe nur eine. :0

Nein.

"I have ___ a. :0"

tumblr_m42qzrJMNM1r58lid.jpg I'm missing something here.... i'm sorry

Oh ..! i hear duolingo..! :P I have been learning italian through it, but german is also on the list... 

Same here!! Duolingo is amazing!!! xP :D

Do you guys only use duolingo? I use memrise in addition to duolingo and I think it helps a lot! Duolingo's more learning and translating things word for word while memrise is created by users on the site so while there is the risk of there being incorrect things it seems more applicable. Because the courses are made by users of the website there's a ton of languages available that aren't on duolingo but for some courses there isn't audio that tells you how to pronounce certain words which kinda sucks. Some of the vocab kinda overlaps too but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

On there I'm learning 1000 words of elementary German, basic German, and minimum viable German. And once I'm done with those I'll move onto some of the intermediate courses they offer c: (I might pick up Icelandic on there as well)

Maybe I can help you. ^^ The use of "doch" depends on the context, it is used in a lot of different sentences - most of the time it's used to reinforce a opposite viewpoint, like in:

"Du warst noch nie gut in Sport." - "Doch!"

("You were never good at sports." - The reply is kinda like reinforcing "I am!")

I don't really know if there is an equivalent in the English language, I don't know one off the top of my hat right now...

In some contexts it is used in a similar way - just not against the view point of another person, but you pondering about two or more things:

"Ich esse gerne Kekse, doch auch Kuchen schmeckt mir."

("I like to eat cookies, but on the other hand, cake tastes good to me too.")

You can also read it like a "however" or "but" in this case.

The last example I can give is to use "doch" at the end of short sentences to emphasize your point, like in:

"Warte doch!" ("Wait!", just with a lot emphasis, because the person you are talking to just isn't waiting, no matter how much you ask him to.)

"Sicher doch!" ("Sure!", again with emphasis, because you are really sure about your stance.)

"Lass es doch sein!" ("Let it be!/Leave it alone!", again with a "doch" added to emphasize that you really want this person to stop doing whatever he/she is doing - this really sounds desperate.)

I hope these small examples helped. If you've got other questions or want to know more about the use of "doch", just ask. ^^

Edit: Oh, and the "doch" combined with "nicht", like in "Nicht doch!" would be a reply to something happening you don't want to happen at all, like a "Oh no!" or "Stop it!" (if someone is doing it with bad intentions to you), just again with the aforementioned emphasis.

ahh thank you! I think "doch" will always confuse me a little bit due to it meaning different things depending on the context but this definitely cleared it up for me a lot! 

edit: look at this comic I came across

(slight nsfw warning...? maybe......?)

a9M4vR6_700b.jpg