Detective Conan World
Black Demon

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 818-824 (Mystery Train)

(The following is not spoiler)

I wouldn't call MItsuhiko "idiot" here. He just doesn't know what he's doing is dangerous. Even though secretly filming people is not really a right thing to do, but he has no bad intention whatsoever. There is no wrong in searching for the person who saved your life and show your gratitude. Seriously, if it was me, I would probably do the same thing, and I'm sure many people in real life would do that too. At least the DB are still better than those ungrateful people we meet everyday.

But the point is, MItsuhiko is not stupid, in fact, he knows how to make a cellphone useful for investigations, this point alone already proved that he's much more superior than Ayumi, Genta, 90% of the "general children" in DC, and most of us real people of that age. He knows when is important to film a video. In the Takagi kidnapping case, had it not been for the footage that he recorded, Takagi would be in the graveyard right now. Actually, nobody would think of filming an extra footage because it wasn't really necessary at the time, but he still did it just in case, and that decision saved a person's life. In this case, he is aware that just basing on the impressions that the woman gave them doesn't help finding out who she is, so he immediately filmed a video. That way, not only that they don't have to remember her face, her clothing, her voice; but it's more convenient for them when seeking help from other people (this time, Kogoro). Actually, he's aware that using their ability alone cannot locate the woman, so he filmed it especially for Kogoro (unlike Conan, who most of the times thinks he can do everything by himself). Furthermore, his filming skill is good enough for the target (Sherry) not being able to notice it, this may be useful in future cases, as he can film suspects/criminals without them knowing.

Anyway, I just want to say that we shouldn't always look at the negative side of the DB, just because the damage they bring this time is too big (again they do not know that it's dangerous). They can do good too (although there've been multiple times where they almost get themselves killed because of their annoyance). Also there is no guarantee that Mitsuhiko is not in cahoot with Bourbon or the BO in genenal....

Hm... Let me think.... Well, even though her location is false, they still know that she would be on the train because of the ring. Also, the video featuring the DB. If the BO saw it, they would be wondering why did she even risk saving some random children. Did they have some connections with her ? The DB are famous now I think, what if some random BO member (besides Vermouth) recognize them ? (The possibility of this is low though.) They start searching and searching.... Aha ! There's also another kid, Conan ! Gin would remember he's the same kid that lives with Kogoro. KOGORO !!! The BO always suspect things, now they have more proof that Kogoro indeed has some kind of connection with Sherry. Also, if Kogoro really did upload the video on the Internet like they say, it would lead to even more suspicions from the BO if they watch it.

And then they're all killed... I hope this doesn't happen though...

That's because Mitsuhiko is in fact 'Anokata' bwaahahahhahaah :mrgreen:

@ LaJota

What I meant is exactly what User 4869 explained. In past cases Scar Akai was Bourbon and this time it's Vermouth, that's what I meant with this possibility.

Well the mysterious woman -in my opinion- is most likely that woman of file 419, but I still don't understand why she got pinned-up hair this time (Fuase as well as the woman next to Akai in file 419 got loose hair).. Maybe it's just stupid to think this way, maybe she just felt like having her hair like this for this time, but I just wonder why she'd do that, as her hair has only shoulder-length (Vermouth had her long hair like this when she burnt down Jodie's house, so it could just be easy this time and the woman really could be her, not sure though)

@ TML

Well Gosho said that he ('for now') doesn't want Conan to reach more than 1000 files so this could be the last big confrontation to the BO before Conan/Shinichi will destroy the organization and, if so, I think after that Bourbon arc there there will be new hints for both, for BO as well as for Conan. The hint for BO to find Sherry will most likely be the video that's now on the Internet.

BD is right...The dangerous thing is that Sherry's video is now on the internet,so the BO could easily find that the person who posted that video is Kogoro...this is a big problem since Kogoro will be a target of the BO because they would think he has a link with Sherry.

I'm starting to think that after Bourbon arc will be the final arc which will lead to the end of DC.

• Upvote 1

Like the others, I agree that the mysterious woman is Fusae. But, I'm confused about the identity of scar akai.i'm sure that the first two appearances of scar akai was amuro but the latest one.....is it vermouth or sera? What about vermouth being scar akai does not appeal to me is that , if she was actually SA, then there was no need for amuro to react in that weird manner, he should have known well in advance that vermouth is gonna do such a thing. Whereas, if you notice, sera was missing during that time and maybe she dressed up as scar akai to see what was going on. She might have guessed that the noise she heard in the cabin must have been from SA and must have tried her hand into the matter. And if this is the scenario, then I'm inclined to think that vermouth maybe mouri in disguise because, there is nothing wrong in showing Mouri talking to amuro unless if there was something fishy in that. And as for the BO sensation, I think Amuro's scent was strong but haibara was inclined to rather see the mysterious person beside her and completely ignored the source of the scent out of fear. There are many inaccuracies, but, I'm not completely convinced that SA is vermouth.

Found something interesting:

Im not sure about wether it's just because of the light or of something else, but on closer inspection you can clearly see that the smart phone of Vermouth (818) and the one of the mysterious woman (820) differ.

n1p4yf.jpg

Vermmouths phone (file 818) seems to be completely black, while the phone of the woman in file 820 looks more like an iPhone (metal side). As I said I'm not sure wether it's the same phone and it's just because of the light or something else, but that could be a proof that the woman Okiya's talking to in file 820 is someone else.

• Upvote 4

Well the mysterious woman -in my opinion- is most likely that woman of file 419, but I still don't understand why she got pinned-up hair this time (Fuase as well as the woman next to Akai in file 419 got loose hair).. Maybe it's just stupid to think this way, maybe she just felt like having her hair like this for this time, but I just wonder why she'd do that, as her hair has only shoulder-length (Vermouth had her long hair like this when she burnt down Jodie's house, so it could just be easy this time and the woman really could be her, not sure though)

There are two things wrong about that statement. First, Akai Shuichi was in a separate car from the mysterious woman and mysterious man with glasses, so Fusae (if she was the mysterious woman) would not have been next to Akai. Second, the mysterious woman had her hair tied up under her hat as did the mysterious woman in this chapter. Here are the pictures from the wiki that compare Fusae Campbell and her driver, Billy, to the mysterious man and woman:

225px-Fusae_Shadow_Compare.jpg150px-Billy_Shadow_Compare.jpg

As for why Fusae would tie her her up, don't forget that she is a famous fashion designer who by all means needs to disguise herself (using sunglasses and a hat to cover her distinctive hairstyle). Since Fusae Campbell is part American and Billy's name sounds American, they likely work with the FBI along with Akai Shuichi (which is why they would accompany him during chapter 419).

Like the others, I agree that the mysterious woman is Fusae. But, I'm confused about the identity of scar akai.i'm sure that the first two appearances of scar akai was amuro but the latest one.....is it vermouth or sera? What about vermouth being scar akai does not appeal to me is that , if she was actually SA, then there was no need for amuro to react in that weird manner, he should have known well in advance that vermouth is gonna do such a thing. Whereas, if you notice, sera was missing during that time and maybe she dressed up as scar akai to see what was going on. She might have guessed that the noise she heard in the cabin must have been from SA and must have tried her hand into the matter. And if this is the scenario, then I'm inclined to think that vermouth maybe mouri in disguise because, there is nothing wrong in showing Mouri talking to amuro unless if there was something fishy in that. And as for the BO sensation, I think Amuro's scent was strong but haibara was inclined to rather see the mysterious person beside her and completely ignored the source of the scent out of fear. There are many inaccuracies, but, I'm not completely convinced that SA is vermouth.

It would only make sense if Scar Akai is Vermouth in this chapter. Amuro and Vermouth likely boarded the train together, but she probably disguised herself as Scar Akai at Gin's will in order to substantiate whether Haibara is on the train or not. She needs Amuro's assistance to capture/kill Haibara so she can indirectly capture/kill Haibara whilst not breaking her promise with Conan. We can also eliminate several possibilities. Sera CANNOT be Scar Akai because she was in room 7B when she noticed SA in the hallway (SA is even shown to be walking pass the room). Kogorou is most likely Kogorou because for one, he primarily focuses on solving the case in this chapter, and for two, he never sees Haibara with his own eyes (or at least we don't see him seeing her with his own eyes), so how can he confirm to Gin that Shiho is indeed on the train? For that, I think Kogorou is the genuine Kogorou.

Im not sure about wether it's just because of the light or of something else, but on closer inspection you can clearly see that the smart phone of Vermouth (818) and the one of the mysterious woman (820) differ.

n1p4yf.jpg

Vermmouths phone (file 818) seems to be completely black, while the phone of the woman in file 820 looks more like an iPhone (metal side). As I said I'm not sure wether it's the same phone and it's just because of the light or something else, but that could be a proof that the woman Okiya's talking to in file 820 is someone else.

It's only circumstantial proof since Vermouth in her flashback also had a different phone (a flip phone to be exact). However, I'm almost positive that the mysterious woman isn't Vermouth because if we conclude that Okiya is Akai in disguise (which is almost a given at this point), then why would there be a reason to cooperate with the distrustful Vermouth? I think that would be a more logical explanation as to why Vermouth is not the mysterious woman.

• Upvote 5

There are two things wrong about that statement. First, Akai Shuichi was in a separate car from the mysterious woman and mysterious man with glasses, so Fusae (if she was the mysterious woman) would not have been next to Akai. Second, the mysterious woman had her hair tied up under her hat as did the mysterious woman in this chapter. Here are the pictures from the wiki that compare Fusae Campbell and her driver, Billy, to the mysterious man and woman:

225px-Fusae_Shadow_Compare.jpg150px-Billy_Shadow_Compare.jpg

As for why Fusae would tie her her up, don't forget that she is a famous fashion designer who by all means needs to disguise herself (using sunglasses and a hat to cover her distinctive hairstyle). Since Fusae Campbell is part American and Billy's name sounds American, they likely work with the FBI along with Akai Shuichi (which is why they would accompany him during chapter 419).

[...]

It's only circumstantial proof since Vermouth in her flashback also had a different phone (a flip phone to be exact). However, I'm almost positive that the mysterious woman isn't Vermouth because if we conclude that Okiya is Akai in disguise (which is almost a given at this point), then why would there be a reason to cooperate with the distrustful Vermouth? I think that would be a more logical explanation as to why Vermouth is not the mysterious woman.

To #1

I didn't notice that Akai was in a seperate car.

4dd9w.jpg

If you look carefully, on the right side of her head you can see loose hair. That was what I meant.

To #2

n1p4yf.jpg

Of course that's not a proof you can always depend on as there were many different characters changing their phones over the time. But the fact that 818 and 820 are only 2 files apart and even of the same case ['Mystery Train Case'] was it what made me think. Why would Gosho get Vermouth a new smartphone after one day and in the same case? I admit it's not the best proof but since it's the same case and different phones I think we can count on it for this time. It also raises the chance of us being right with the woman not being Vermouth, now that we got 2+ arguments.

• Upvote 2

To #1

I didn't notice that Akai was in a seperate car.

4dd9w.jpg

If you look carefully, on the right side of her head you can see loose hair. That was what I meant.

To #2

Of course that's not a proof you can always depend on as there were many different characters changing their phones over the time. But the fact that 818 and 820 are only 2 files apart and even of the same case ['Mystery Train Case'] was it what made me think. Why would Gosho get Vermouth a new smartphone after one day and in the same case? I admit it's not the best proof but since it's the same case and different phones I think we can count on it for this time. It also raises the chance of us being right with the woman not being Vermouth, now that we got 2+ arguments.

Oh, I see what you meant.

BUT, that was an optical illusion. You misinterpreted the edge of the window and the area behind the man's head as the hair of the mysterious woman.

Here's the picture that you showed me:

4dd9w.jpg

And here's the picture without the man's head in the way:

PROOF.jpg

If you look at all of the other screencaps of the mysterious woman in that chapter, there are no other signs of let-down hair.

No, by all means, find MORE proof that they are not the same person. It's absolutely great that you discovered the phone differences, and it further supports the idea that Vermouth is not the mysterious woman in disguise. I was just saying that the evidence is not irrefutable evidence, and there may be exceptions in that aspect. But regardless, what you found is very helpful.

• Upvote 2

Oh, I see what you meant.

BUT, that was an optical illusion. You misinterpreted the edge of the window and the area behind the man's head as the hair of the mysterious woman.

Here's the picture that you showed me:

4dd9w.jpg

And here's the picture without the man's head in the way:

PROOF.jpg

If you look at all of the other screencaps of the mysterious woman in that chapter, there are no other signs of let-down hair.

No, by all means, find MORE proof that they are not the same person. It's absolutely great that you discovered the phone differences, and it further supports the idea that Vermouth is not the mysterious woman in disguise. I was just saying that the evidence is not irrefutable evidence, and there may be exceptions in that aspect. But regardless, what you found is very helpful.

Oh, I didn't notice that it's an optical illusion. Sorry for that, you were right.

• Upvote 2

@xSherry:

You found another proof that the woman isn't Vermouth...that's great^^ I'm still hesitating between Fusae and Yukiko for the mysterious woman,both are good options.

• Upvote 1

I see two possibilities for Scar Akai on this case:

-Tooru Amuro is Bourbon and Scar Akai. Then Scar Akai is Vermouth this time. She has crossed Haibara/Sherry and thus she was able to confirm her presence abord the train. That would be the most direct resolution considering what Aoyama has shown us.

-Masumi Sera is Bourbon. Then, Tooru Amuro is still Scar Akai but he would be in fact a cop from the special unit forces. Then, the Scar Akai we see on the train is in fact an ally of him who would have yet to be properly introduced. As Vermouth was still able to confirm Sherry's presence aboard the train, that means she is disguised as one of the people involved with the murder case. That would be a more surprising and unexpected resolution.

That's a basic rule in magic: distracting the audience by showing them something they would surely watch, therefore hiding the truth (the trick) of what they are seeing at the same time, what we don't want them to see. This Scar Akai is surely a red herring.

Wow, such a huge case!

the trick for the 7b room, was kinda obvious, but I can't figured out why would someone use it. I mean, what's the use? why start a fake mistery?

I believe that Sera is Bourbon. It's terrible confusing seeing all the characters together.

I don't think that this Scar Akai on the train is Vermouth. Haibara knows her aura and she would immediately recognize Vermouth if Haibara sensed her. Look for example at file 288. She knew that Vermouth was on the bus even with Akai being there... 

She sensed Scar Akai twice but she never thought of Vermouth.

I agree. I've thought of two other possibilities.

-This Scar Akai would be a new character who is an ally of Amuro in the police. Amuro would have have been Scar Akai before that.

-Amuro is Scar Akai but Kaito Kid disguised himself as Amuro to make location scouting for next month (lol).

As for Vermouth, I think she is disguised as someone else. If she was able to confirm Sherry's presence on the train, then she's likely one of the character involved on the case (either a suspect or a train agent).

Wow, such a huge case!

the trick for the 7b room, was kinda obvious, but I can't figured out why would someone use it. I mean, what's the use? why start a fake mistery?

I think that in order for the murder to happen, it is key to have the victim Murobashi in Room 8B. However, the room was given to Kogoro, Ran, and Sonoko at the last moment, so the murderer needed a way to lure Kogoro and the gang out of Room 8B to Room 7B (via letter). Likewise, the murderer had to displace Murobashi from Room 7B to Room 8B (by giving him the role of the disappearing victim) so that the murderer's original plan is still in tact.

Here's my deduction about the order of events:

1) The murderer contacted Murobashi and told him to play the role of the victim.

2) The murderer placed a fake mystery letter outside of Room 6D (perhaps because he/she knew that children would be somewhere in Car 6 after overhearing Ran in File 818.9) and Room 8B for the switch-up later on.

3) The Detective Boys retrieve the letter and go to Room 7B to witness a "murder" (the fake murderer seen here is most likely the real murderer who killed Murobashi during the end of File 819).

4) The murderer escapes and runs towards Car 6, so that Murobashi (who's still alive at the time) can switch rooms with Ran and Sonoko.

5) During the switch, Murobashi tells Kogoro to go to the dining car (this was most likely ordered by the murderer so that the amazing Detective Kogoro is out of sight) and Sera meets up with Ran and Sonoko subsequently.

6) Meanwhile in Car 6, the DB lose sight of the mysterious "murderer" and return to Room 7B to confirm a couple of things, but they see Ran, Sonoko, and Sera inside (who are supposed to be in Car 8B) and realize that Car 7 is missing.

7) After Conan discovers the truth about this whole incident, the murderer is now able to have access to Murobashi in Room 8B, which revives the plan he/she had initially intended to do.

I don't think that this Scar Akai on the train is Vermouth. Haibara knows her aura and she would immediately recognize Vermouth if Haibara sensed her. Look for example at file 288. She knew that Vermouth was on the bus even with Akai being there... 

It's already a given that Vermouth is on the train at the end of File 820, so I don't think it's necessary that we hear Haibara's inner thoughts. Furthermore, Gosho is trying to confuse readers into thinking the mysterious lady is Vermouth (even though it's likely that he truly intends to have Vermouth disguised as SA). Think of it this way: if Haibara thought in her head "Oh no, I think this Akai with a scar on his face is Vermouth" upon seeing him, then the identity of SA in this chapter would be a dead giveaway. A reason Gosho would not reveal Haibara's thoughts is to let readers solve the mystery for themselves.

In File 288, on the other hand, Gosho had Haibara thinking "Vermouth is here on the bus" in order to confuse us into thinking that Jodie was Vermouth in disguise.

Just keep in mind that Gosho is a troll, and almost everything he shows us (or doesn't show us) is to mess with our minds and ultimately mislead us.

• Upvote 1

It's already a given that Vermouth is on the train at the end of File 820, so I don't think it's necessary that we hear Haibara's inner thoughts. Furthermore, Gosho is trying to confuse readers into thinking the mysterious lady is Vermouth (even though it's likely that he truly intends to have Vermouth disguised as SA). Think of it this way: if Haibara thought in her head "Oh no, I think this Akai with a scar on his face is Vermouth" upon seeing him, then the identity of SA in this chapter would be a dead giveaway. A reason Gosho would not reveal Haibara's thoughts is to let readers solve the mystery for themselves.

In File 288, on the other hand, Gosho had Haibara thinking "Vermouth is here on the bus" in order to confuse us into thinking that Jodie was Vermouth in disguise.

Just keep in mind that Gosho is a troll, and almost everything he shows us (or doesn't show us) is to mess with our minds and ultimately mislead us.

When the kids talked about Shiho's video in file 820, Haibara still didn't think especially of Vermouth. She just thought: "Could it be them?" and Gin, Vodka and Vermouth were shown in the background. Everytime when Haibara sensed Vermouth's aura, she knew at once that it was hers, even when she's unconscious she can recognize Vermouth (file 422/423). I mean, it doesn't make sense, when Haibara thinks if it could be them while this Scar Akai is in fact Vermouth. Even if Gosho intended to fool us, it still doesn't make sense. Why else does Ai have an "aura-radar"? If this Scar Akai is really Vermouth, people would be confused and they would think: "Why did Haibara recognize her in file 288 (and in other files) but not in file 818/820?"

You're right, Gosho really likes to troll around, but as I said before, it would be uncomprehensible if this Scar Akai is really Vermouth but Ai couldn't identify her. Gosho should actually be logical in that case :)

When the kids talked about Shiho's video in file 820, Haibara still didn't think especially of Vermouth. She just thought: "Could it be them?" and Gin, Vodka and Vermouth were shown in the background.

You're point? That has nothing to do with whether Scar Akai is Vermouth or not...

Everytime when Haibara sensed Vermouth's aura, she knew at once that it was hers, even when she's unconscious she can recognize Vermouth (file 422/423).

No... She never recognized who Vermouth was disguised as. In File 288, she sensed Vermouth's presence, but she never knew who was, in fact, Vermouth in disguise. In File 423, she only thinks about Vermouth, she never declares "Araide-sensei is Vermouth!" So while it's true she can sense Vermouth's aura, she is never able to decipher the source of whom Vermouth is disguising as.

I mean, it doesn't make sense, when Haibara thinks if it could be them while this Scar Akai is in fact Vermouth. Even if Gosho intended to fool us, it still doesn't make sense. Why else does Ai have an "aura-radar"? If this Scar Akai is really Vermouth, people would be confused and they would think: "Why did Haibara recognize her in file 288 (and in other files) but not in file 818/820?"

You're right, Gosho really likes to troll around, but as I said before, it would be uncomprehensible if this Scar Akai is really Vermouth but Ai couldn't identify her. Gosho should actually be logical in that case :)

Like I said, Haibara is NOT CAPABLE of identifying which person Vermouth is disguised as. Haibara only senses her presence, not the exact location of this presence. Therefore, I believe it is COMPLETELY comprehensible that Vermouth is disguised as Scar Akai in this particular chapter (not saying it's 100% true, but it's understandable if that ends up being the outcome).

• Upvote 1

I agree ali_032.gif. I couldn't think the reason why would Vermouth be dressing as Scar Akai. The theory I see reasonable is Amuro's the one disguising as Scar Akai (and he always was), and Amuro shown in this chapter is someone else in disguise, possibly KID. But I'm not really sure - I guess, this is just a weak theory. Can't wait for the next file ali_005.gif!

When the kids talked about Shiho's video in file 820, Haibara still didn't think especially of Vermouth. She just thought: "Could it be them?" and Gin, Vodka and Vermouth were shown in the background. Everytime when Haibara sensed Vermouth's aura, she knew at once that it was hers, even when she's unconscious she can recognize Vermouth (file 422/423). I mean, it doesn't make sense, when Haibara thinks if it could be them while this Scar Akai is in fact Vermouth. Even if Gosho intended to fool us, it still doesn't make sense. Why else does Ai have an "aura-radar"? If this Scar Akai is really Vermouth, people would be confused and they would think: "Why did Haibara recognize her in file 288 (and in other files) but not in file 818/820?"

It's like AJ said, I think Shiho isn't capable of saying which person the aura comes from. She just senses the presence. One example is file 288. She knew that Vermouth was on the bus but she didn't know it was Araide. Anyways I feel like some things are happening again. Like Gosho wanting us to think Okiya's one of the bad guys because he's talking to a woman looking like Vermouth. And the irony is that he's probably the one who's gonna save Haibara/Conan.. Reminds me of the files where he wanted to troll us that Jodie was Vermouth..

• Upvote 2

Guys, I never said that Haibara knows exactly who is/was disguised as who. I just wanted to say that Haibara knows Vermouth's aura very well and that she can tell if Vermouth is/was close to her. I think you probably misunderstood me so I'm sorry for this :). 

(maybe it's because English is not my native language?^^)

But well, I don't want to discuss it any further so let us wait for file 821 and see what will happen :)

Guys, I never said that Haibara knows exactly who is/was disguised as who. I just wanted to say that Haibara knows Vermouth's aura very well and that she can tell if Vermouth is/was close to her. I think you probably misunderstood me so I'm sorry for this :). 

(maybe it's because English is not my native language?^^)

But well, I don't want to discuss it any further so let us wait for file 821 and see what will happen :)

Your English is clear. But it seem both side pursue difference point.

I think Ai can identifies Vermouth by Aura but on the other hand, if her inner though show Vermouth it will kill the mystery. Both side has point and I'm still torn between.

@AJ: thanks for your contradictions, I realise that there were too many loop-holes in my theory of Sera being SA.

The reason why vermouth would disguise as Scar Akai is because gin would have asked amuro (assuming he is the original SA) and vermouth to confirm Sherry's presence on the train. Amuro has no idea about Sherry being a 7 year old due to APTX, only Vermouth knows about it. If she tells Amuro about that, then surely gin must be told of it too and ultimately, they might suspect Shinichi is alive and start looking for him. Now that's not what Vermouth wants. So, she might have somehow convinced Amuro that she should dress up as SA this time and inform gin if Sherry has really boarded the train or no. She then sees Ai and texts gin that sherry is indeed on the train.

Apparently they're having a debate about the translation of Sonoko's line in file 820 at the Chinese forum, which is pretty important because...

It may or may not determine whether Shiho's video was really uploaded to the Internet.

Here is the original line, someone who knows Japanese please help:

5366d0160924ab185eefc29f35fae6cd7a890b98.png (Image copied from Baidu)

Some people say that she's only guessing that Kogoro has most likely uploaded the video, but some others argue otherwise.

This is the only piece of RAW that I can get so far, about Ran's line before that, you can see 96082's translation of the Chinese file (which is probably accurate because no one's arguing about that) here:

"I watched that video with Dad! He said although it's a bit difficult to just rely on her looks and voice, if you upload it onto the Internet then there could be people who would recognise her..."

There is something that disturbes me on chapter 819.

I wonder if the combined strengths of a child and a woman are enough to break a chain. I wonder if it wouldn't take the full strength of a man (at least) to do so ?

I didn't bring it much attention the first time because of the discovery of the dead man, but it's strange that they were able to break the chain that way on their first try.