Detective Conan World
Black Demon

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 818-824 (Mystery Train)

Reposting from DCTP. Warning, it's kinda long xD

...In other words, translations may answer my questions or change my thoughts, nothing is really cemented here (obviously :P)

...Man, I keep thinking Gin has two phones in the shot where he's pulling out the cigarette @_@ And...man, there's been so much fanservice lately. Not that I mind, as former examples have been tasteful (ie: they've had purpose *Sera & Ran's kicks, skirts are gonna fly*) and although this one really has no purpose, it's Vermouth...so I'll accept it as she is the one person who no one minds fanservice of :x

...However, as accepting as I'm willing to be since it's Vermouth, it is a tad...unsettling that she's thinking of Conan/Shinichi while she's in...the "attire" she is. ...Also, I don't know why but Gin with a smartphone makes me giggle. Something about him and technology just doesn't mix for me :x

...All right, one thing determined from this page: Agasa, never wear that hat again. It does not suit you :|

As much as I love Kid, I hope he doesn't show up :V Too many people would be around then. ...Also, though Haibara doesn't react with a BO sense to Sera, she does put up her hood, showing at least some suspicion. It could be due to what she's heard from Conan, but...I don't know

Hello suspects, how are you? ...Anyone getting some deja vu of the Night Baron case here? ...I don't know why, but I am

Sly, Kogoro, sly

Hm, all right. So Kogoro, Sonoko, Ran, Sera, the DB, Agasa, the six suspicious people, likely Okiya + Amuro and Conan are on the train (plus randoms, but we won't count them) That makes a whopping 17 people with names on the train. ...Wow. ._.

Yes, Conan, they are worried at Kogoro being there, so they're suspicious. Really though, you should just start eying down everyone you meet. Seriously :V

Train rides are fun for the DB whee! ...Also, a knock at the door :o

The letter left in front of the door gives me a weird vibe. ...I don't know, it just reminds me of Vermouth's letter from the Halloween case.

...And this, this is where complications begin. The guy's going, "Don't come in!" Makes sense to the kids thinking that it's an act, the trick or fun or whatever might have been ruined, right? It also could have been him warning the kids legitimately, as there's a guy in front of him with a gun. It's probably just me, but from the imagery (and, y'know, the patterns of this series) I'm thinking this guy might have actually been killed. There's also the small fact that the shooter is wearing gloves. ...Why would he do that if it were an act or game? People aren't going to be able to take fingerprints for a game (or at least they'd be penalized if they did). There are, of course, problems with this theory, like why the guy (who I'll get to) would have a motive or why there'd be a letter leading the kids to the scene, but as of now I'm just thinking of this as a small possibility, so don't go harping me just yet on those holes xD I'm fully aware they're there :P Anyway, something I don't know if it was brought up yet, but that I definitely recognized, was that this assassin guy...definitely gives me Amuro vibes. Working along the Amuro=Bourbon theory, it would make sense that he would have the Scar!Akai hat (or at least what looks shockingly similar to it) and his skin appears visibly tanned while running. ...Again, this is just a possibility to think about, with problems of its own (the "tan" could just be shadows, why would Amuro kill the guy, why didn't Haibara's sense go off if he's really Bourbon, etc) but it's just something I'm keeping my mind open to ;) ...the last thing for this page is...how did the guy get out? Conan was at the door, right? ...They didn't just let him pass, did he? Is there another door? ???

TRAINS. And they lost him :/ Something spooked Conan though.

DUNNNNNNNNN Scar!Akai! Now, this is where things get really interesting. His hat has indeed changed, however, I've got an idea as to why this is. ...Also as to why the scar is different. If we look back at page 12, we can see that the gun guy is wearing a sweater, black pants, a cold mask, gloves, and black pants. Considering Gosho showed the far shot of the train (which would mean that time had gone by *also the guy checking his watch*) it wouldn't be hard to believe that the kids had indeed followed the gun guy (for the sake of this idea, Amuro) and ended up in the vicinity of his room. Since he's taller and faster than them, he was able to make it to his room ahead of them, put on his make-up a bit shakily (explained by random noob's point about trains being wobbly and Vermouth not being there), take off the sweater, and put on a new hat. Also notice that we don't see his eyes. Possibly he didn't get his eye make-up on? He obviously wouldn't want to be seen at all by the kids, and perhaps Haibara's sense hadn't gone off before because he wasn't searching for her/Sera. Of course, this is all just very loose speculation. My hope is it sparks ideas :D

Doesn't fit in with the theory above, but I noticed Sera's hat (the one similar to Scar!Akai's) is missing here. She probably just took it off, but you can never be 100% with Gosho :V

...And then it ends on a page that you need translation to get. ...I honestly don't know what's going on here. ...Though apparently it involves the numbers 7 and 8? :V

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, that's just my musings while looking over the Chinese scans. Here's hoping the translation can fill up some holes \o/

Whoa! I never imagined that the producers chose not to document the details of how Shiho re-shrank into Ai. If I were in charge, I would have documented this by making her start her shrinking motion in front of people other than her confidants, and then have her confidants (i.e. Conan, Dr. Agasa, etc.) try to pull her away from everyone else before she completes her shrinking motion.

You're right, because we often saw Conan with this problem. But if we're lucky, that could be another proof that Shiho will take the antidote again, maybe in the train!..

Very rough synopsis of first two pages (please feel free to correct me!):

Basically Vermouth is tipping off Gin about the whereabouts of Sherry after hearing from Bourbon. Gin doesn't think that she would be travelling on the Steam Train (since it's eye-catching) but Vermouth argues that it would be easy to evade the eyes of BO because passengers get their own compartment. Gin also (incorrectly) finds it surprising that Sherry has been hiding in Gunma all this time (where the last case has happened). They plan to prey on her with the train as the hunting ground, and not to make a move until the train reaches its destination. Gin finds it intriguing Vermouth finally mentions Sherry's name after a long time, sarcastically asking whether it is out of some weird ass kindness to another woman. Vermouth rebukes saying, 'Who do you think I am?' After the phone call, Vermouth recalls how she has promised to give up Sherry, but goes on to justify that she doesn't want to kill her; the person who doesn't want her to remain in this world is Bourbon. 'Don't hate me, Silver Bullet-kun.'

Not gonna translate everything lol, but this other bit about Kid: Sonoko mentions that this train only runs once a year, but her uncle wants to run the train next month especially to showcase some gem. Apparently Kid has sent a notice to steal the gem next month, which would be located in the first carriage and that's where Sonoko will hide her love letter for Kid.

• Upvote 6

I took a look at Chev's note, at first I believe it must be situation 1 but when I thought of 'Akai', I then realize he already spotted danger. Suddenly it come to my mind he won't anyhow give Haibara bad vibe, it's likely he already spotted danger just if he found out ploy; situation 2 is one can make 'Akai' come out of his cabin, because if he heard voice from seven unit he will be suspicious to think why they're not in right unit, he took this liberty to come out and let Haibara feel danger as if to tell her message.

If it is situation 1, it doesn't make sense... if Agasa move to different cabin he can assume Agasa confusing unit or immediately know confusion has started.... but he may not think far or he already hear from Agasa about the letter, but he don't have enough evidence to point out Vermouth send and has feeling something's not right. If he came out, he can't do anything because he was in the crowd..

It's conjecture, but if based on probability the situation 1 is highly likely as it look simple with less hassle, and from audience's view on manga 'Akai' may suddenly appear out of blue when he suspect danger straightaway the moment detectives are in different unit, and situation 2 is explainable.

ADDED: Answer: If to fit in where 'Akai' is in situation 2, his bunk is 7D.

Wait a moment, something's not right.

It takes few seconds to reach next unit, so all along the pattern is:

Conan go there to see is it 7th unit but heard it's 8th.

So Agasa is at 7th, not at 6th. Chek's situation 2 has to be:

or 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 is 5,6,6,8,9

Murder taken place is at 7th, 'Akai' likely to be in the car below 6.

This case is too much for my brain -.-

1. Assume that the murder is a real one and not a set-up test (which will only begin one hour later - as said in the Chinese file), then who sent the letter to Agasa's room ? The victim ? The murderer ? (If that's the case then why would he/she want other people to know that he/she's gonna kill someone ?) Or was it someone else ? (How did that person know a murder would occur anyway ?) Whoever that was, the purpose is obviously to make sure that Conan and the team would witness the murder, but why ?

And more importantly, why specifically and only Agasa's room, but not any other detective's ? Why would the sender choose the Detective Boys over a professional detective like Kogoro (or whatever he's calling himself in this case) ??? This just doesn't make any sense. Is this because of Haibara ? Does the sender know about Conan's intelligence ?

2. Why the hell didn't Ai tell Conan that she sensed a BO member on the train ????

3. What the heck is Sera holding while the other two girls are drinking coffee ? Is that also a letter ? If yes, then why didn't she go to the scene ? Or did her letter ask her to do another task instead ?

4. Is it just me or does Agasa look a little suspicious on the last page ?

5. Why doesn't Bourbon want Sherry "to remain in this world" ? Just because she's a traitor ? Or was there any other reason ?

This is my view on the case:

@Glass Heart: When you said about that murderer giving you and Amuro sort of vibe, I felt the same thing when I saw that page. I agree something's wrong with that guy. So, don't give up on your theory just yet, it can be true you know....

What's even more wierd about this chapter is that the murderer is wearing a hat that looks a lot like Scar Akai's and his face is taped(maybe to cover the scar!) and what's even funnier is that Scar Akai is wearing a hat like the one Sera has. On seeing the Chinese scans the first time, I thought Okiya might be disguised as one of the other passengers, but now, I don't think that's possible.

The BO are planning to capture Sherry once the train reaches the destination..... WOW! But, WHY DIDN'T HAIBARA TELL CONAN ABOUT THE BO VIBES SHE FELT!!!Anyway, can't wait for the english scans!!

And this is the translation from DCTP

Vermouth: But if Sherry's going to be on the train, then wouldn't that be the perfect hunting ground?

Gin: Yeah... if we could stop her getting off somewhere then she'd be as good as trapped in a steel cage. If we can flush her out through fear, like in deer-hunting, then she'll simply present herself to our guns.

Vermouth: You know why I leaked this information to you, don't you?

Gin: You're telling us not to lay a hand on the steel serpent before it returns to its den, am I right? Ah well, I'm pleased to hear you mention Sherry. I was beginning to wonder if you were harboring some strange sympathy for a fellow woman.

Vermouth: Don't be silly. Who do you think I am?

Next scene...

Ayumi : Oh wow! This is the first time I've ever seen a steam engine.

Genta : Me too!

Mitsu : It's spectacular!

Ai : It's only a steam locomotive in its appearance. Inside it's (can't see the kanji, resolution's too poor...maybe maglev powered by diesel?)...(coughs)

Ayumi : Your cold's still not getting any better?

Ai: It seems as though as certain somebody's strain was particularly persistent.

Sonoko : Usually this train only runs once a year, but Uncle Jirokichi announced that he'd be running it specially next month with some jewel on display in the first class carriage. That's why I'm getting on board early this time - I'm planning to leave a letter, fiilled with passion and love, tucked away in the carriage. What do you think?

Ran : I don't think Kid would have the time to find the letter. Anyway, Kyogoku-san would get really cross with you, you know.

Sonoko : My love for Kid goes in a separate stomach.

Sera: As for me, I'm more interested in the mystery quiz that occurs on board!

Ran : Sera-san!

Sonoko : Why are you here?

Sera: I'm a detective, it's only natural that I'm boarding. Isn't your dad with you?

Ran : He was here a moment ago...

Man being shot (I think): Don't come in!

Genta : Wow! It's just like the real thing!

Mitsuhiko : Let's go after him!

Genta : Yeah!

Ayumi : Come on, Conan, Ai!

Ai : Rather than a mystery quiz...this is...

Conan : More like hide and seek?

And the last extra page (don't have time I'm afraid), the basic gist sounds as though Vermouth is justifying going after Ai, in that although she said to Conan that she wouldn't lay a finger on her, it's Bourbon going after Ai, so technically she's keeping her promise.

@The Black Demon

1 One possible reason could be they want witnesses. (This coincide with "Murder on the orient express where the culprit awake Poirot up just to witness a false incident that not involve the actual killing to mislead him). Why the DB and Agasa? Story wise because Gosho want Conan to involve but in-universe reason probably the murderer underestimate DB and Co and don't want high skill people.

4. Something wrong in the last page but I don't think it involved Agasa. After see something in the room, perhaps Conan start to suspect something about location and number of rooms (Most likely what Chekhov suggest in her last post's link).

5. I think Gosho telling us that Bourbon has a reason to hate Sherry just like he hate Akai. I don't know, Maybe He did hate Sherry but not Akai in the first place LoL. :Crack Theory about Akemi-Bourbon-Akai love triangle ensued.

Very rough synopsis of first two pages (please feel free to correct me!):

Basically Vermouth is tipping off Gin about the whereabouts of Sherry after hearing from Bourbon. Gin doesn't think that she would be travelling on the Steam Train (since it's eye-catching) but Vermouth argues that it would be easy to evade the eyes of BO because passengers get their own compartment. Gin also (incorrectly) finds it surprising that Sherry has been hiding in Gunma all this time (where the last case has happened). They plan to prey on her with the train as the hunting ground, and not to make a move until the train reaches its destination. Gin finds it intriguing Vermouth finally mentions Sherry's name after a long time, sarcastically asking whether it is out of some weird ass kindness to another woman. Vermouth rebukes saying, 'Who do you think I am?' After the phone call, Vermouth recalls how she has promised to give up Sherry, but goes on to justify that she doesn't want to kill her; the person who doesn't want her to remain in this world is Bourbon. 'Don't hate me, Silver Bullet-kun.'

Not gonna translate everything lol, but this other bit about Kid: Sonoko mentions that this train only runs once a year, but her uncle wants to run the train next month especially to showcase some gem. Apparently Kid has sent a notice to steal the gem next month, which would be located in the first carriage and that's where Sonoko will hide her love letter for Kid.

Thanks a lot for this translation^^

So...the BO will wait until the train reaches it's destination to catch Sherry...If she still in a child body,I'm sure Gin will recognize her,and he will see she's with the DB and the professor,so the best choice for her is to take the antidote and act as if she doesn't know them.

Oh and Bourbon wants to kill her?I thought his target was Akai?I'm really confused now...

I really hope Okiya is somewhere on the train,he's supposed to protect her!!!

• Upvote 1

4. Something wrong in the last page but I don't think it involved Agasa. After see something in the room, perhaps Conan start to suspect something about location and number of rooms (Most likely what Chekhov suggest in her last post's link).

Yup, the 7th unit (where the murder occurs) has apparently "disappeared" when Conan and the DB run back to check it. About Agasa, though it's just my personal feeling, I find his expressions... how to say this... not very natural. I think he is hiding something. Hm.... I don't know....

So...the BO will wait until the train reaches it's destination to catch Sherry...If she still in a child body,I'm sure Gin will recognize her,and he will see she's with the DB and the professor,so the best choice for her is to take the antidote and act as if she doesn't know them.

Oh and Bourbon wants to kill her?I thought his target was Akai?I'm really confused now...

Hope it's gonna happen like this!!..

• Upvote 1

Yeah I was starting to think maybe she will take the antidote when the Train stops to act as though she doesn't know them. Like AiChan said. Maybe Conan might take the antidote, who knows? Lol I just can't believe Bourbon is after Sherry as well as Akai, he sure is a busy guy. With all this Black Organization activity going on, I just KNOW the FBI will be somewhere near when the train stops! I can count on that! (Jodie) :D

Yeah I was starting to think maybe she will take the antidote when the Train stops to act as though she doesn't know them. Like AiChan said. Maybe Conan might take the antidote, who knows? Lol I just can't believe Bourbon is after Sherry as well as Akai, he sure is a busy guy. With all this Black Organization activity going on, I just KNOW the FBI will be somewhere near when the train stops! I can count on that! (Jodie) :D

It would be nice to see the FBI,since they are supposed to investigate on Bourbon and protect Ai...But personnally I prefer when Ai and Conan are alone against the BO,it reminds me the older BO cases(Pisco case...)I really want to see Gin chasing after Shiho^^

It would be nice to see the FBI,since they are supposed to investigate on Bourbon and protect Ai...But personnally I prefer when Ai and Conan are alone against the BO,it reminds me the older BO cases(Pisco case...)I really want to see Gin chasing after Shiho^^

Well, I don't really think Jodie will be there as there are already enough people (maybe some new- or old-new FBI members ^^) and I think this time it could be Okiyas time to save Ai ( I hope so!!.)..

• Upvote 1

I think this time it could be Okiyas time to save Ai ( I hope so!!.)..

Exactly^^I'm only wondering where he is...He has to be there to save her^^

• Upvote 1

Exactly^^I'm only wondering where he is...He has to be there to save her^^

I have a feeling he might turn up in the next chapter and there wasn't enough room to stuff him in this one yet. I am a bit hesitant about all the theories where people are disguised as characters other than the usual ones they've been doing the whole time because it breaks the pattern Gosho has been setting up. If Okiya doesn't turn up in the next two chaps, then I will start wondering.

I have a feeling he might turn up in the next chapter and there wasn't enough room to stuff him in this one yet. I am a bit hesitant about all the theories where people are disguised as characters other than the usual ones they've been doing the whole time because it breaks the pattern Gosho has been setting up. If Okiya doesn't turn up in the next two chaps, then I will start wondering.

hmm...another possibility could be that he'll appear in the last minute when the situation seems hopeless. I mean just like Akai did when Vermouth was about to kill Jodie.. Well the important thing is that he'll come and save Ai!!..

Are you really sure about this? I don't believe Gin has ever been told about the non-fatal aspect of APTX-4869 (if that were the case, then Conan would probably be out of the picture by now), so how could you say that he would recognize Ai as Sherry?

Are you really sure about this? I don't believe Gin has ever been told about the non-fatal aspect of APTX-4869 (if that were the case, then Conan would probably be out of the picture by now), so how could you say that he would recognize Ai as Sherry?

Gin hasn't seen Ai yet.. and besides Akai there is probably no living B.O. member that knows Shiho as good as Gin so the chance that he will know who Ai really is.. In my mind it's pretty high...

Gin seems to know a lot about her,he can recognize her with one hair....He doesn't have to know the effect of APTX to make the link between Sherry and Ai(Akai did the same link and I doubt he was aware of the de-aging effect of APTX).

Also Ai herself said that the BO members knows her child face,so if they see Ai they would probably think she may be Sherry.

Nevermind,it's only some speculations,I'm waiting to see how things will turn...

But, WHY DIDN'T HAIBARA TELL CONAN ABOUT THE BO VIBES SHE FELT!!!Anyway, can't wait for the english scans!!

I think that perhaps she noticed that the person looked like Akai/Dai, so she didn't want to say anything. There's also what someone said about Conan running off to investigate and then the kids running off after him.

Haha the fanboy inside me screamed with delight seeing those pics. I find it amazing how even though it's this far in, Gosho still manages to make it interesting.

I do find it odd that Scar Akai's scar looks different that before...maybe that's actually the real Akai? And the previous Scar Akai's were Bourbon? Only a theory of course, but I can't think of a reason why Akai would drop his disguise (assuming he's Okiya). Also another point, Gin thought Mouri Kogoro was suspicious during Black Organisation vs FBI 2, but when Akai stopped them from assassinating him, he stopped hunting after Kogoro. If he figures Akai is on that train, and finds out Kogoro is on that train, maybe it'll re-bring up the suspicions Gin had with him? Unrelated probably, but I think it's an interesting note.

I would find it an interesting twist if Sera happened to be Bourbon (doubt it, I'm on the "Amuro is Bourbon" fan train...no pun intended) but still, interesting. Can not wait. :P