Detective Conan World
Chekhov MacGuffin

Artist reference guide

July 8, 2014

Attention was called to the fact that threads are all spread out with a single work of art in one thread rather than by artist. Starting today I am merging all threads by artist and creating a list of all the artists so people can easily find them. This is going to take a while, so please be patient. If you have any questions, please ask.

Artist Guide

All the artists who have contributed to the fanart section are listed below in alphabetical order. Also, if you are new or this is your first time posting in the drawing section, please check out the Q&A below.

Index
Alphabetical list of all artists
Tutorials
Image Collections
Requests or questions
Key for abbreviations and art types
Q&A for artists

Alphabetical list of all artists

A.Haibara - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w drawings
Aeyra - DCMK and non-DCMK colored drawings and digital art
aichanmiranda - DCMK colored drawing
aika - DCMK and non-DCMK drawings
AiSuigetsu - Mostly DCMK b&w drawings
AJ M. - DCMK colored and b&w drawings
Aka Peiji - DCMK digital art
Akai Sera (Shinichi Natake) - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w drawings
Amane.misa - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w drawings
Angela Fyre - DCMK motivational poster
angelranchan - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w and colored drawings, digital art
Anime Girl 4 Eva - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w drawings
Anti-APTX4869 - Mostly DCMK b&w and colored drawings
Amane.misa - DCMK b&w drawings
AokoNakamori - DCMK digital art
Artistic Poet - DCMK b&w and colored drawings, mixed media paintings
Berumotto - DCMK digital art
BK201 - DCMK colored drawing
boring-freak - DCMK b&w and colored drawings
Cammy3131 - DCMK b&w drawings
CarpetCrawler - DCMK demotivational panels
chiro - DCMK colored mixed media paintings, digital art
Ciel Phantomhive XiaoLang - DCMK b&w and colored drawings
Cindy-Chen - DCMK b&w and colored drawings
CloverKite - DCMK digital art
codosinchi - DCMK colored drawings
Conankim Dogawa - DCMK colored drawing
conankoibito - DCMK b&w drawings
Conanlicious - DCMK and non-DCMK digital art
conanshinichi - DCMK b&w drawing and digital pixel art
CoolKid94 - DCMK digital art
Craze S2 - DCMK b&w drawings
Cutiepie EdogawaConan- DCMK and non-DCMK b&w and colored drawing

darkest absol - DCMK digital art
dcwforever - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w drawing
DeeDetectiveDee - DCMK b&w drawing
Detective Apprentice - DCMK b&w drawing

detectiveshinichiLover - DCMK b&w drawing
edogawamary - DCMK b&w drawings
Elizabeth Antoinette - DCMK colored drawing
Emiko Seiei - DCMK and non-DCMK gifs, photoshops, b&w drawings
Erza Scarlet - non-DCMK b&w drawings
Fluffy Ears - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w and colored drawings and digital art
Forever Lost - DCMK b&w drawings and digital art

frenzyvermouth - DCMK b&w non-permanent tattoo
gabapple - DCMK digital art
Genghis - DCMK photoshop and digital art
Hajime Kindaichi - DCMK b&w drawing
HalfAngel - DCMK sewing with felt, Non-DCMK b&w charcoal
Heiji1412 - DCMK colored drawing
Hesham Elshipli - DCMK b&w drawings and non-DCMK 3D renders
hikari4869 - DCMK b&w drawings
hilo92 - DCMK photoshop
holmes.addict00 - DCMK b&w drawing
Huntsman - DCMK b&w drawings
iafranev - DCMK b&w drawings
Icka M. Chif - DCMK colored drawing
IdentityUnknown - DCMK b&w drawing
IHKF - DCMK photoshop
InuLoverNr1Hitomi - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w and colored drawings
Isul - DCMK colored drawings
JiKudo - DCMK digital art
JoJoColman - DCMK digitial art and b&w and colored drawings
Jouly92
Kaitou Kid Legendary Thief - DCMK b&w and colored drawings (note: lots of offtopic conversation)
kate-chan_49 - DCMK b&w and colored drawings and photoshops
Kaze-rei - non-DCMK colored drawing
KeyChain3094 - DCMK digital art
Kiel95 - Kiyokian - Mostly DCMK b&w and colored drawings and digital art
Kim-Chan - DCMK colored and b&w drawings and crafts
kirite - DCMK digital art
Kleene Onigiri - DCMK and non-DCMK colored drawings and digital art
KuAnimeConan - DCMK photoshops
Kudo Miharu- DCMK colored drawing
Kudo Ran - DCMK colored and b&w drawings
la vanille - DCMK colored drawings
lashedcheek - DCMK b&w drawings
Lia. - DCMK b&w drawing
Lupin of the Heisei Era - DCMK b&w drawings
mabel - DCMK digital art and b&w and colored drawings, and non-DCMK colored drawings
MadelineLime - DCMK digital art and animations
MagicConan14 - DCMK b&w drawings
MaryKid - DCMK b&w drawing
meitantei.yana - DCMK b&w and colored drawings

MeiTanteixX - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w and colored drawings
Miike - DCMK photoshop
Min Yun Si - DCMK and non-DCMK colored drawings and digital art
Misaki-chan - DCMK b&w and colored drawings (including Deal with it Yamamura), digital art, and crafts
miss-anonymouss - DCMK digital art
Monsi - DCMK photoshop
Moustauch - DCMK colored drawings
Mugiwara Conan - non-DCMK b&w drawings
NekoXShinichi-niichan - DCMK b&w drawings
Officer Kaoko - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w drawings, gifs

Old Daletski - non-DCMK b&w drawing
OldJustal - DCMK b&w drawing

ourico4 - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w drawings
panda456 - DCMK colored drawing
phantom thief - DCMK b&w drawings
PhantomAi - DCMK b&w drawings
phantomlady1101- DCMK b&w and colored drawings and digital art
Pr1me 101 - DCMK digital art parody Yu-Gi-Oh cards
Prem (Aadikudo) - DCMK b&w drawings (thread has spam overload)
Rachel Moore - DCMK b&w drawings
Ran Moorie - DCMK b&w drawings
redangelran - DCMK b&w drawing and digital art
Rom Yui - DCMK colored drawing
Rye - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w drawing and digital art
- Ryuuji - - DCMK digital art
Sandra-san - DCMK b&w and colored drawings and digital art
Sayomi - DCMK b&w drawings
Scar Akai - DCMK colored drawings and photoshops
Senpai - DCMK b&w drawings and digital art, Naruto digital art
Sherlock Lupin - DCMK colored drawings
Shinichi Kudo forever - DCMK b&w drawing
ShiroKuro - DCMK b&w drawing
Shivaa - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w and colored drawings
Shizuki- DCMK b&w drawing and digital art

shoshoayoosh - DCMK b&w drawing
Silverbullet-kun - Naruto b&w drawings
Silvester - DCMK photoshops
skyechan - DCMK b&w and colored drawings and digital art
Soraxzc - DCMK painting
Sparrow - DCMK b&w and colored drawings
Spiritgal304 - DCMK craft
Stopwatch - DCMK b&w drawings
Swiftfeather - DCMK and non-DCMK b&w and colored drawings, digital art, videos
tantri - DCMK b&w drawings
theBaffledPrince - DCMK digital art
Thebananas3000 - DCMK b&w drawings
Tsukiko - DCMK b&w and colored drawings
Unrequited Hope - DCMK and non-DCMK (Hetalia) b&w drawings
Valkyrie - DCMK b&w drawings
vawli - DCMK colored drawing
Vi Graythorn - DCMK b&w drawings
Voiii - DCMK digital art and b&w drawings
Wildheart888 - DCMK b&w and colored drawings
xXEdogawa-KunXx - DCMK and non-DCMK (Naruto) b&w drawings
yungching - DCMK b&w and colored drawings
Zeaos - non-DCMK digital art

Tutorials
Watch Gosho Aoyama draw Conan-kun!
Hand drawing creases lessons by Artistic Poet
Drawing tutorial from a beginner by Anti-APTX4869
Kirite's confuzeling tutorials for drawing by Kirite
Kyyo's tutorials and tips

Image Collections (albums of works by other artists)
Officer Kaoko's image recommendations
DC Doujinshis
santa gin

Requests or questions
Do you like to draw?
Software you use to color (or fix) an anime pic
Original characters in Detective Conan style

====

Key
Bold and italic name - Artist has more than 20 pages of art and comments
Bold name - Artist has more than 10 pages of art and comments
Italic name - Artist has more than 5 pages of of art and comments

DCMK = Detective Conan and Magic Kaito themed fanart
non-DCMK = original art or fanart for other franchises

b&w = black and white, opposed to colored
crafts = constructed art (clay figures, needle point, puppets, etc...)
digital art = drawings done partially or totally on a computer. These are assumed to be colored
drawings = traditional art done with pencil, pen, color pencils, crayons, charcoal, chalk, pastels, etc..,
gif = a type of image format, specifically referring to animated ones
mixed media = a combination of drawing and painting components was used
paintings = traditional art done with paint, oils, ink, etc... These are assumed to be colored by default
photoshop = image manipulations or collages, the stocks are not necessarily the artist's. Original art painted in photoshop falls under digital art.
pixel art = digital art constructed pixel by pixel
video = a video made of the artist's own fanart, AMVs go under the video forum subsection

Q&A for artists

1. How do I start an art thread and what are the rules?
Unless you are posting a tutorial, question, request, collection, or there is some unique circumstance, please keep all your art to one thread. When you add new art to your thread, make a new post to bump your thread so people notice, but also add a link to the new post in the first post so viewers don't have to search your entire thread just to find the posts with art in them. You can get the link to a particular post by clicking the small number in the upper-right-hand corner of that post's box and copying the address that comes up.
Detective Conan and non-Detective Conan art is allowed, although more people will be interested in Detective Conan art. If your art is based off manga spoilers, please use a spoiler box to hide it and tell people that there are spoilers inside so no one will be surprised. For mature art, please be aware that there are young visitors to this website, and that this is not the best place for such work.
If you post someone else's art, always make sure you state who made it, and link back to where you got it. Some people don't like their work being posted by other people. If so, please do not post their work; instead link to them.
Use common sense and courtesy and things should work out okay.

2. How do I post pictures?
If you uploaded it to a website like deviantart, photobucket, imageshack, etc..., either link to the image or insert the image with picture.png. If you do insert the image, please use a spoiler box for large images. If you haven't uploaded your picture online, use the attachments function below the post box when you are in full editor mode. Note there is a size limit. There is also a troubleshooting thread if you are still having problems: How do you add pictures to posts?

3. I changed my username!
Tell a mod that you need your name changed in the drawing reference thread.

4. My listing needs updating/correcting!
Tell a mod how you need your listing changed in the drawing reference thread.

5. How do I change my thread title to let people know what's new?
Edit your first post, select Use full editor, and you will have the option to edit your topic title, topic description, and change or add a poll if you like.

6. How do I critique a drawing that needs ... a lot of improvement?
Critique using constructive criticism and common sense. Most people want to learn how to improve and will understand if you point out things that need improvement. If the user starts getting angry though, it is better just to back off. Ignoring good advice is their loss.

7. I think someone is stealing or copying art! What do I do?
Before accusing them or getting a moderator, make sure they are actually stealing or copying art.
For stealing situations, be aware some users may have a posted their work elsewhere under a different name, so make sure the alleged stealer isn't the same person as the original artist. The fastest way to find out would to post nicely asking if they are artist XYZ on website ABC with a link. If they are the same person, you will get a pleasant response. If they aren't, then you've exposed the thief, provided proof, and were polite all in one post. Point this out to the moderators and you are set.
For copying situations, with exceptions, it generally isn't considered stealing if an artist uses a little bit of someone else's work AND ALSO credits the original back. Copying work or part of work of more experienced artists is very common among new artists looking to improve, but this is only allowed if they explain they are making a copy/tracing/whatever and credit the original. The best case would be to also include the original picture too in the post. Improving another fanartist's work without permission is generally frowned on.
  • Upvote 2

Assuming this is about fanart...?

So all artwork posted by one person will be in one thread? I'm not sure I like this, as if someone posted something that has nothing to do with another piece, it changes the mood/theme/subject. Also how would people know if new artwork was posted?

I also don't like it considering someone was accusing me of trying to take credit for someone else (when it was, in fact, mine) and I would prefer that it not tarnish the threads of other pieces I might potentially post.

Oh, also while I'm here, there doesn't seem to be much of a sharing of art by other fanartists. For instance, I only have seen people upload stuff from Pixiv in certain threads, but not link to the artist and whatnot. Is sharing in a different manner completely frowned on? I love sharing things on Tumblr with all due credits, but it's missing a huge amount of fans who just aren't on the site. :\

Edited by MadelineLime

I agree with MadelineLime and Wildheart, I'm not sure if it's the best idea. It would lose the vibe for each unique art thread and the comments would be unorganized.

BUT, I think you should make an "Artist Reference Thread" parallel to that of the one you created for the General threads. (e.g. have a list of artists and their respective art topics under their member name)

Assuming this is about fanart...?

So all artwork posted by one person will be in one thread? I'm not sure I like this, as if someone posted something that has nothing to do with another piece, it changes the mood/theme/subject. Also how would people know if new artwork was posted?

I also don't like it considering someone was accusing me of trying to take credit for someone else (when it was, in fact, mine) and I would prefer that it not tarnish the threads of other pieces I might potentially post.

Oh, also while I'm here, there doesn't seem to be much of a sharing of art by other fanartists. For instance, I only have seen people upload stuff from Pixiv in certain threads, but not link to the artist and whatnot. Is sharing in a different manner completely frowned on? I love sharing things on Tumblr with all due credits, but it's missing a huge amount of fans who just aren't on the site. :\

To call attention to a new piece, you bump your own thread with it. You can also change the title and message under the title as well by editing your first post to signal something new has been posted. The reason I am doing this is for organization. The one thread per art system is disorganized, extremely annoying to wade through (My first reaction on coming here was literally WTF is up with this), and not useful for browsers who want to look at more than one work by a particular artist which is a pretty common user behavior.

This wouldn't be as necessary if DCW let you organize by original poster so you could quickly find all the art threads started by a particular person. Unfortunately you can't do that, which is why the disorganization is so much worse.

The one thread per art system also unfairly benefits the users who are more prolific than others. Those users who post fewer or in a more spaced out fashion get bumped from the first page a lot quicker by people who post in clumps or prolifically, meaning they don't get as much attention or critique. If say, Sonoci posted 4komas in a separate thread every time at DCTP, other artists would be drowned out because Sonoci does a lot of 4komas. (Not knocking Sonoci's 4komas here. They are great.) It also biases art type exposure as well. Some types of art, like page colors, traces, and sketches often get produced a lot faster and will mean those works will dominate the front page versus original digital or other media works.

The one thread per artist system instead signals who has been most active lately, allows more artists in total to be seen, but lets those posting more art stay up near the top.

If the mood or vibe is a problem, use spoiler boxes so that artworks aren't visible at the same time. The best strategy of all would be to get an account on art website that lets you display on your own terms and post links, but ask for critique on DCW. The extremely light colored DCW background isn't exactly pro-artist display territory that will help your vibes much.

If you have problems with a false accusation from another user, I'd be happy to edit it with a message that the accusation was false so anyone reading through would know from the beginning without the drama.

Regarding art sharing, make sure it's obvious you didn't make it, and always credit the artist and link back to the source. If you don't know the source, explain/link where you found it and that you would like to credit the user. If you have want to start a thread linking to all the cool fanart you found concerning, say Kaitou Kid, (they have fanart topic on DCTP like this if you want an example) you can start that sort of thing if you want, provided the crediting is in place. Otherwise use common sense and don't do anything with the art that would make the original artist mad.

The one thread per art system also unfairly benefits the users who are more prolific than others. Those users who post fewer or in a more spaced out fashion get bumped from the first page a lot quicker by people who post in clumps or prolifically, meaning they don't get as much attention or critique. If say, Sonoci posted 4komas in a separate thread every time at DCTP, other artists would be drowned out because Sonoci does a lot of 4komas. (Not knocking Sonoci's 4komas here. They are great.) It also biases art type exposure as well. Some types of art, like page colors, traces, and sketches often get produced a lot faster and will mean those works will dominate the front page versus original digital or other media works.

The one thread per artist system instead signals who has been most active lately, allows more artists in total to be seen, but lets those posting more art stay up near the top.

If the mood or vibe is a problem, use spoiler boxes so that artworks aren't visible at the same time. The best strategy of all would be to get an account on art website that lets you display on your own terms and post links, but ask for critique on DCW. The extremely light colored DCW background isn't exactly pro-artist display territory that will help your vibes much.

The idea is good, in certain respects like the one you said. If someone is doing say, comic pages, yeah that makes sense to put them all in one thread (I had to look up 4komas, so I think that's what you mean?), but I think it's really pointless to put my animated stuff in the same place as still drawings, and my 3D art. They're nothing alike, and the whole thread will become incredibly convoluted.

I always thought that DCW was more of a place of showcase for similar fans, and not of critique. This is why I had no idea that it was okay, so to speak, to post other fanart. I thought since the entire site is themed, this should be only DC fanart and whatnot.

Regarding art sharing, make sure it's obvious you didn't make it, and always credit the artist and link back to the source. If you don't know the source, explain/link where you found it and that you would like to credit the user. If you have want to start a thread linking to all the cool fanart you found concerning, say Kaitou Kid, (they have fanart topic on DCTP like this if you want an example) you can start that sort of thing if you want, provided the crediting is in place. Otherwise use common sense and don't do anything with the art that would make the original artist mad.

TBH, some artists get peeved if their stuff is posted anywhere, even when given credit! But anyway, which forum would we post that in? I wouldn't be comfortable posting it in the drawings forum, but it seems to fit better there than anywhere else.

For me I have my tutorials in one thread and my drawings in another thread. What I''m saying is that I don't make 3 new threads for my 3 new sketches that I drew today and another 3 new threads for my 3 pages of tutorial (for example). I keep them in my 2 threads.

As for posting only DC/MK work, this forum has no rules against that so people can post whatever they drew. I personally try to only post DC stuff on here but that's simply a personal choice.

As for posting fan art that doesn't belong to you, on a forum that I frequent that is a banable offence. In DCTP forum on the other hand sharing of fan art is encouraged. However Artist that strictly say they do NOT want their pics shares online will have those pics protected and if people try to steal art people will call them out on it. People who are sharing should post on specific threads that are for fan art sharing purpose, website and artist should be stated.

The idea is good, in certain respects like the one you said. If someone is doing say, comic pages, yeah that makes sense to put them all in one thread (I had to look up 4komas, so I think that's what you mean?), but I think it's really pointless to put my animated stuff in the same place as still drawings, and my 3D art. They're nothing alike, and the whole thread will become incredibly convoluted.

I think separating by art types is cool. Trying to avoid one art, one thread is goal here. I can detangle threads if there is a problem and I mixed something up I shouldn't have.

I always thought that DCW was more of a place of showcase for similar fans, and not of critique. This is why I had no idea that it was okay, so to speak, to post other fanart. I thought since the entire site is themed, this should be only DC fanart and whatnot.

I think Detective Conan art is the most appropriate myself. There was something a while back about a on-offtopic art split, but people seemed against it. I guess the people who post offtopic art suffer the side effect of fewer people being interested in their stuff.

TBH, some artists get peeved if their stuff is posted anywhere, even when given credit! But anyway, which forum would we post that in? I wouldn't be comfortable posting it in the drawings forum, but it seems to fit better there than anywhere else.

Drawings would probably be best, although a separate subforum would probably be better. That's Maurice's territory unfortunately. For some reason I hear about people with issues on Pixiv the most. Some artists you just have to tread icicles with. Personally I think the problem is partially caused by Pixiv's policies encouraging reuploading elsewhere (which makes pissed off artists). People without accounts having pretty annoying viewing restrictions (I can't see an artist's gallery without logging in), and last I checked (a year+ ago) Pixiv blocks a lot of common email addresses. People wanting to share with non-account friends thus re-upload images.

Most people are usually cool if you are crediting them back.

Most people are usually cool if you are crediting them back.

If only. I've certainly seen far more examples where the otherwise has occurred. In this fandom I've even seen it sometimes.

Quick question: How do you want me to sort artists? By alphabetical name, style, or by last active? Also, I am including a description of what style each artist uses (black white drawings, digital art, etc...). If I miss something on your style or you just don't like, please tell me how to fix it.

I would prefer it to be sorted by alphabet name (and not because my name would be first on the list), and maybe also by style. That way, the whole reference guide will be more organized and will allow others to find a certain artist more quickly.

I say just alphabetical, with an easy to see brief mention/list of the style. EG, MadelineLime; Comics, drawings, sculpture, textiles. Hahaha that was also alphabetical. But wait, is this on each thread, or in a wiki page? I think I was thinking of a wiki-like page, and I'm not entirely sure if that's what is going on anymore...

See Chek's first post, she's making a list of sorts for each artist. I believe that's what this sticky is for?

The first post will be the guide to all the artists, which is slowly expanding. Also, if you notice some old threads (I won't do this to recent ones which may still be getting views) disappear, it's because I have temporarily marked them invisible. I don't have another good way to flag topics I want to make sure I don't merge because not all threads by the same person will be merged (aka tutorials or collections are separate from art). Invisible topics show up in red, so I know not to touch them, and will all be visible again very shortly.

Also if anyone is wondering how to make your new combined thread better and organized, I recommend editing your first post and linking to your deviantart, pixiv, tumblr, etc, if you have one and also making an making an index of your art. Reverse chronological order would be the easiest and would show your latest work first. You can do this by clicking the number of your post in the upper right hand corner, copying the link, and then pasting it with a description in your first post.

Example: (disclaimer, does not contain art)

My Drawings

Goro

Kogoro

Conan

Great work, Chek! \o/

I like it that way better. I was just using one thread myself for my pictures :)

The pros for it are, that it's all in a thread, so you don't have to look for more art from the same person. You also can compare the pictures, see the development over the time, and see what the artist likes to draw the most (certain characters and such)

And when you post something new, your topic will get bumped :)

And you could also make the first post of your own thread with all drawings you created, like a summary.

@artist not wanting their drawings shared:

If they don't want that, then they should simply not post their work online...

It's like saying: "Look at my work! But don't look at it!"