Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Miss Smiles

Is Shinichi reckless, or not?

Is it unintentional or intentional? Does it help or not if to show in front of friends? The question can goes on, but to you is it purposeful for him to reveal himself subtlely?

I think Shinichi has no plan to hide any more as it was likely he was sick of hiding truth. But personally I think he wouldn't want Akai know the truth as he don't trust him. I don't think he deliberately make mistakes, think about it, if the person has hide many lies any more he or she will forget who themselve are... The shrunken person will become desperate for his friends to understand his predicament than telling them secret.

It's same scenario as Jacob Black from Twilight series, if he can't tell, he use action to give subtle hint if he wants friend in the loop of secret. Telling secret is one of the most recklessness, but showing? If the place wasn't bug with listening device, showing is the best thing because anyone won't know he's Shinichi but Conan who is desperate to get friend's attention, only thing he can do is to show subtle hint as portraying his predicament, every friends know he's in too deep and know well not to speak aloud until he says.

This is what I interpret of the story, but seriously I don't know how can this help as long as he don't get himself in danger... I only can hope for Okiya is not Bourbon.

It took me a little bit to think of a reply for this :P

To be honest, Shinichi is a bit reckless in hiding his identity. If he weren't at all then he wouldn't take any risks whatsoever (he would kill off his old identity and even refuse to solve cases if it meant he might be revealed). However, if Shinichi did do that not only would the series be boring, but we would probably not like him as much as a character. I think the proper way to describe him is that he has a strong sense of justice. Meaning he will risk his identity in order to solve a case, or save a life, because that's just the kind of guy he is. Sometimes his actions may seem a bit reckless to us but I don't think he really makes the wrong decision.

That was good answer, I always think Shinichi carried a bit away and mostly say Shinichi's name. If there's no B.O. around, it's safe to assume Ran won't spill secret if she know indirectly, and it may create misunderstanding for B.O. to think Conan was in touch with Shinichi. If there's a bug. The more Takagi and Akai have to deny B.O. the truth Heiji will step in withdraw dangerous water.

Seriously the way the current case went Ran is one hell of an idiot to not figure it out <_<

Edited by thebananas3000

That can't be helped. She saw fake Conan and Shinichi and was confused. She find it disturbing, only person can prove is Heiji. Later in future we see the history unrolling like Heiji confront Conan, but differently. This is not a spoiler, but my prediction about the story.

I'm having a difficulty with the fact that Twilight was used as a point of reference. It also doesn't exactly fit as he was born a shapeshifter/werewolf, and can change at will. He could chose to never tell someone, and it would not alter his life. He hasn't been lying, whereas Shinichi has been lying since day one.

That aside, the sole reason Shinichi wouldn't tell Akai the truth is that it is simply absurd. He also wants to deal with everything himself, and feels that telling anyone is going to place them in harms way. He's an idiot for not realizing that ignorance in this situation isn't bliss, but is actually extremely dangerous, but that's a whole different topic. (Ran [or anyone else, tbh...] doesn't have to know anything about the situation to become a target for either murder/revenge, or a way to draw Shinichi out into the open...)

But on the main topic, YES, Shinichi is extremely reckless. His arrogance in assuming he can outsmart people that are older than him, some even be triple his age, is exceedingly reckless. Their life experience, and their ability to outsmart the entire world's police forces, and Interpol, is vastly more than his. They're largely unknown, yet he somehow thinks he is better than them and will not only figure it all out and "win" against them, he thinks he can stay hidden against their obvious insanely talented information gatherers/researchers. Folly. Foolishness, Dante Shinichi, foolishness. We do not know for 100% who Okiya is yet, so in theory, we could all be wrong and whoops he was Bourbon all along. (Highly doubtful, for a myriad of reasons, but still)

You also read twilight? The purpose of mentioning is to give this debate a shape There is no string attach in twilight, before Jacob know himself is werewolf, secret is known as legend. True, Shinichi was given a choice to tell or not, but he did not thought much of FBI as safety is his first priority. After the incident of Kogoro's near death, he's still carry on despite any bit recklessness Ran is convince he's Conan.

Where oh where do I begin... First with Twilight... No I didn't read it... well I tried and couldn't make it past the horrible writing. So I made it 5 chapters before stopping. Watched a few riffs of the movies and got the basic story... Horrible point of comparison. Seriously... The secrets being held in Twilight are nothing like the secret in DC. It is a poor point of comparison...

Honestly, I see it closer to Sherlock Holmes post-Reichenbach Falls if ANY literary parallel must be made. The main detective somehow miraculously survived a brush with death with one of the main forces in a large lethal organization so much so that he had to ensure that everyone thought him dead and basically stay underground with one person knowing the secret who could handle his assets. The only difference? The time against Moriarty's organization was only implied and thus didn't last nearly as long, preventing others from discovering. But I personally can imagine Gosho writing DC as an homage to Sherlock Holmes during his time against Moriarty's Org with a few twists of his own (shrunken body, and basically a first lieutenant doing the killing not the leader, and the bad guy surviving leaving more of a challenge for the protagonist)

Now, you made an interesting choice of words... "Reckless." Shinichi was ALWAYS reckless. "Hm, a guy who looks like a professional killer and his partner... Maybe I should follow the partner completely forgetting about the killer looking dude." Reckless? Lethally so. It is pure dumb luck that Shinichi did not die from a poison that kills the majority of its victims. I'm pretty sure that he did more stupid stuff in the past too that we don't know about, due to his arrogance and overwhelming idealism.

Now moving on to the point of this question... Revealing his identity. I shall permit the notion that initially, when he knew nothing of the BO and was basically running blind before Haibara and Akemi, he was totally correct in his assertion, because he didn't know anything either. However, after that point his decision to persist in his ruse to keep his identity secret became increasingly reckless. And ironically, he became reckless in actually KEEPING it secret.

First, not allowing his father to get Interpol involved. Why? Because he didn't want to go into protective custody because of Ran. However, he could have told his father to just TIP THEM OFF AND GET THEM INVOLVED without mentioning him. That way he would have his father and at least a few ICPO agents helping uncover the Org, along with the FBI who was apparently already on the case.

Second, allowing pretty much anyone with half a brain to figure out his secret. Ran is apparently the most gullible person in the series, because Heiji figured it out like it was nothing and he basically allowed Takagi and Sato have extreme suspicions. In fact, he basically TOLD Takagi that he was not normal in the elevator. There is no way Takagi forgot that or wrote it off as childs play. He is pretty reckless with keeping his own identity a secret... except....

Third, THE FBI! I'm putting this up with extreme arrogance and recklessness. Hey, Shinichi... There are professional agents whom have YEARS of experience dealing with organized crime syndicates in the USA... I think they are called the FBI, perhaps you've heard of them? Yeah, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING, YOU DO NOT! You should have told them once you realized they could be trusted. Why in blue blazes have you NOT DONE SO ALREADY?! Do you REALLY think that you can defeat the BO by basically using them? Really? I think you need to think again, since... you know... you nearly got killed by them a few other times. And nearly got Kogorou and Ran killed too. In fact, had it NOT been for those professional agents known as the FBI, THEY'D BE DEAD ALREADY (and Vermouth telling Gin as well)! Probably you too! AIN'T THAT GRAND?! Stop being a reckless idiot and TELL THEM ALREADY!

Fourth, Ran and Kogorou... Less reckless more stupid. Really, as Madeline said, this is a case where ignorance is NOT bliss. I mean considering that they have been targeted already... And the only reason they aren't being watched as closely is because of Vermouth... Yeah... He should have told at least Ran right after that incident. Doing so would not have changed status quo so much. Ran would be conflicted because she'd realize that it was Shinichi solving all those cases and not her father. But in the end, I think she would believe in him enough to keep things the way they are. However, she would also know to be more careful. Possibly avoiding situations like the one where she nearly got killed by Calvados had it not been for Vermouth stopping him. That and his apparent horrible aim (I'm pretty certain that BO gunmen are trained to shoot moving targets)... She would still want to help, but if he told her that the FBI were already helping, there would be no reason for her to go to the MPD (which would be the only other possibility other than telling her father). She might become a bit more proactive, but that is about it...

So in the end... Yes, Shinichi was, is and probably always will be extremely reckless and arrogant. I sincerely hope SOMETHING happens that will FINALLY get him to change that. Personally I think either Ran or Kogorou ending up in the hospital because of the BO would do that... Or something else... I don't know... But I do hope it happens...

• Upvote 3

okay okay... I won't compare it with DC, I did a poor job pointing out two kind of secret.

ADDED: I was on about the scene when Jacob define legend as secret, I can guess much you both will think I'm all about that. That scene give me an idea that secret is for one to cover or lie, and Jacob use cover story not to lie.

I was a bit offguard a moment ago after slowly digest what Kyuu said. But first let ignore if Jacob forget himself is werewolf, and know saying about legend of werewolf does not help anything as itself is farfetched for mortals to understand. Shinichi? he already said to Agasa with promise and it won't do him good if he break them.

But Agasa did tell his parents, is he? I'm not shifting blame, and I don't know is he the boss, because Agasa also agree safety is they consider for all of people, but did not extend to Ran's family. Yes... Shinichi has choice to tell Ran, he always think a lot, I also feel he is reckless and started to show he has digested he could not done alone.

Shinichi already mentally prepared to let Ran go after he endlessly lie to her, in front of Ran as Shinichi, he feel sad, it's like he wish he can think it through carefully from start if he can help as wise guy.

I'm sure that arc of close death has give him idea what he is up against if he work alone. I think he's not happy, but he is likely to think what done is done, if he has to be proactive, he found reason not to turn away if Ran persist to know the truth after that incident.

If he's not turning away by confront, his father has upperhand with FBI by his side. Shinichi has started to extend safety net if he has Akai, Sera and Ran to be suspcious of his identity and they'll know Shinichi is in deep.

Conan is relatively reckless. He does better in more normal settings, but he can't control himself around cases at all which leaves a trail of witnesses and strange scenarios. He's tried to get better about it when he knows there is overt danger, but still screws up when cases are involved. Also he has been handed an idiot ball in the latest chapters, especially 812-814, for the sake of plot.

Okiya knew Conan was Shinichi back in the paper plane case, but didn't have the absolute proof. If Okiya had bad intentions he wouldn't have teased Conan about it so openly, instead hiding that he knew to use against Conan later. Also Okiya doing it with Sera nearby may suggest Okiya doesn't view her as an enemy.

Uh... Chek don't you think you should spoiler tag some of your post? Though no specifics were given it does allude to information not yet revealed in the Anime

Chek's reply: I don't know. DCW has never had a clear policy about anime spoilers in general discussion. Far more often than not anime spoilers are uncovered because a lot of plot sensitive threads are on the general board. It seems to be status quo at this point. The boards were initially set up with little separation as far as I can tell and then there is the wiki which is a spoilerific free-for-all. Maybe the policy will change come a new arc. The anime section is supposed to be anime spoiler free, and manga spoilers should always be covered regardless of location.

Kinda sort of...

>>>

YES

... because he's too careless in hiding his identity good ting other doesn't really realize it ^_^

... he was victimized by the BO easily

NO

... he can't be hurt so bad i don't think so...

... he investigates without being really noticed by someone (i mean obviously)

except for an episode good thing his mother was there ^_^

NO

... he can't be hurt so bad i don't think so...

... he investigates without being really noticed by someone (i mean obviously)

except for an episode good thing his mother was there ^_^

So... Being shot (nearly dying too) and falling off of a cliff into a river... those things aren't bad? I'm pretty sure they were both near death experiences that he barely escaped with his life.

Investigates without being seen... So all the times he was thrown out by the MPD, and Kogorou never happened? or all the times he was noticed by other parties. Oh and the occasional bumping into people while looking on the floor for clues. A ninja Conan is not.

In terms of BO he was noticed one which nearly killed him. Since then he revealed himself to gin at least once that I can recall. He also tends to get noticed by vermouth because she is watching him. He is lucky she isn't trying to kill him.

He's reckless when it comes to BO even though he's only trying to protect him and the others around him.

He's also can be reckless when it comes to cases, he put his life at risk like other detectives while knowing the truth and the criminal coming after him.

But he always has a reason to why he's being like that!

He's reckless when it comes to BO even though he's only trying to protect him and the others around him.

He's also can be reckless when it comes to cases, he put his life at risk like other detectives while knowing the truth and the criminal coming after him.

But he always has a reason to why he's being like that!

I agree with this. The fact that Shinichi is reckless really contributes a lot to the story for me. To me it just shows that despite his superior intellegence he can't be perfect. Also when people find out his identity, or he gets hurt as a result, the story has no choice but to get more intense.

So yeah, keep it up Shinichi :P

I have to agree. If he would not be reckless, he would stop with solving crimes and looking for killers because by then, he would not be open by any means. But he chooses to still do it because that is what the series would require him to do so. Imagine watching or reading plainly if he weren't to do anything. Though I would say that even though with such actions, he stays safe and coordinated.

It took me a little bit to think of a reply for this :P

To be honest, Shinichi is a bit reckless in hiding his identity. If he weren't at all then he wouldn't take any risks whatsoever (he would kill off his old identity and even refuse to solve cases if it meant he might be revealed). However, if Shinichi did do that not only would the series be boring, but we would probably not like him as much as a character. I think the proper way to describe him is that he has a strong sense of justice. Meaning he will risk his identity in order to solve a case, or save a life, because that's just the kind of guy he is. Sometimes his actions may seem a bit reckless to us but I don't think he really makes the wrong decision.

You're right but who he's

In some cases, yes, but I think this is a by product of his personality and desires. First, when his parents proposed taking him overseas for protection and/or treatment, Conan decided to stay behind, not wanting to abandon his beloved Ran. Then, during the Holmes Freak case, Conan's detective nature made him do things that caught the attention of Heiji, eventually allowing Heiji to become the first person to put two and two together without Conan and/or his confidants saying anything first. Later, when Eisuke proposed taking Ran away, Conan was backed into a corner and thus had to "come out" in order to keep Ran for himself.

• Upvote 1