Detective Conan World
TheDetectiveShinichi

Detective Conan World Mobile App

Do You Want A DCW Mobile App?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Want A DCW Mobile App?

Hello.

If you didn't know, I created a mobile app for this website. I wanted to help this community go to this website without having to go on the normal website and having to zoom etc. Please view the attachment and also vote in the pole.

Thank you,

Simon

(I hope that DCW will give me $20 to post to the Android Market.)

• Upvote 3

Hello.

If you didn't know, I created a mobile app for this website. I wanted to help this community go to this website without having to go on the normal website and having to zoom etc. AND the app will be FREE!

Simon

PS. I'll create this app on another platform, like iPhone or Nokia. And plz support me:) View the link for the trailer:) (I hope that DCW will give me $25 to post to the Android Market.)

Link:

http://www.facebook....v=3254866852851

Hello.

If you didn't know, I created a mobile app for this website. I wanted to help this community go to this website without having to go on the normal website and having to zoom etc. The App will be free!

Thank you,

Simon

(I hope that DCW will give me $25 to post to the Android Market.)

WATCH THE TRAILER OF THE APP(NEW):

http://www.facebook....&type=2

Just visit my NEW POST IN DCW and click on the FB link:)(On top of this post)

Yeah... No topic ever warrants 3 topics... ever. It just doesn't. Edit your post, add stuff to the current... Something... We don't need duplicate threads ever, they provide no benefit to anyone, and only serve to annoy because it breaks up the discussion.

Now! On to what I think about this whole thing! Keep in mind this is all my opinion.

First! I have no idea the demand for a DCW Wiki app. I cannot imagine it being too high, unless you have a group of friends that you debate with in person over DC with. The only people I can see who would need it are those who use their mobile phones a lot and are always on the go. But really, for most purposes Wikipedia serves most for their wiki needs on the go (and their mobile app is just lovely). I personally do not see the need for it.

NEXT! That trailer...

My reaction:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I've literally been waiting for an opportunity to use that clip!

Seriously... We saw nothing of its functionality (and I'll get to that in a bit). A trailer is supposed to excite and highlight the key elements or at least the most exciting things. It is an interest builder. It really didn't do that. You need to show off what sets your app apart from just going to the actual site on your mobile browser.

THIRD! The app itself (this will be a two parter)...

From the trailer:

It looks like its a zoomed in portal to the desktop site. That is it. No offense to you, but... that isn't good design for a few reasons. First is that, DCW especially, is very image intensive, that means high bandwidth. So those people with data limits will be at higher risk of using up their allotted data. Second is that it was obviously designed with desktop in mind. This makes it cumbersome to use efficiently as an app. Lastly... it isn't intuitive nor integrated into the Android ecosystem. Basically, what should be an actual wiki app, is just a glorified bookmark. My suggestion... Ask around at how to convert a wiki into a mobile format for an app. The trailer also failed to show what separated it from just a bookmark widget linking to the DCW wiki. Native editing capabilities, integrated search bar... nothing of that degree was shown (the latter is the kicker though, most wiki apps don't allow for editing but all that I have seen and used had some sort of search function)

From what I found on the internet (that site where you can post demos of apps and make them downloadable or not) (this will be short, and I am also assuming its the same app) The DC Fan app I believe you called it...

The wiki part is confirmed to what I thought, and really should be redesigned to a mobile format. The other two things on there... the video and manga... needs to be removed. That is violating copyrights, as well as the Market policy. It is not good.

I hope you take my suggestions in stride and show an updated app that makes sense for a mobile platform. Scrolling should really be only up and down, not side to side. There are many ways to go about it, and you should find the best method that suits you and your programming and design style. As it stands, having a bookmark widget will do the same as your app.

Best,

Kyuu

• Upvote 6

i agree with kyuu this time. let me add something on what he is saying. well Maurice already made a mobile site for dcw which is viewable in mobile of course and did Maurice gave you a permission to do this?

One thing..... It's basically just the site zoomed in.... which basically looks pretty much like what it looks like as comapared to what it looks basically just like when you open it via the browser-NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL, which fail to let me see the purpose of this "application", making me rather open the site instead of the app. I'm with Kyuu on this .

Did you even took permission to do so?

i agree with kyuu this time. let me add something on what he is saying. well Maurice already made a mobile site for dcw which is viewable in mobile of course and did Maurice gave you a permission to do this?

As what they have said, you need to ask permission from the owner of something (a website or a game) that you would make into a mobile application, because it's theirs, not yours. And if ever those owners would find out that you've made a mobile app for them without permission, it would lead to serious legal issues, basically about copyright.

As what they have said, you need to ask permission from the owner of something (a website or a game) that you would make into a mobile application, because it's theirs, not yours. And if ever those owners would find out that you've made a mobile app for them without permission, it would lead to serious legal issues, basically about copyright.

Not to defend this, but I think everyone has serious misconceptions of Wiki's... You cannot have legal trouble with a wiki because it is something called "Public Domain." Basically, it is a community based thing, and the fact that it is "DCW's wiki" has nothing to do with it. You can't copyright something in public domain, which all wikis are as part of the open source project. From the MediaWiki main page "Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License" So yeah... No permissions are needed. Everything is copyright free.

That is why I didn't bring up Maurice's permission in my little analysis. The issue is with the illegal distribution of the manga and anime, not with the wiki.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ Read, that is what this site's Wiki operates under. Bring that to court saying it was distributed on an android app without permission and they'll likely laugh at you.

Not to defend this, but I think everyone has serious misconceptions of Wiki's... You cannot have legal trouble with a wiki because it is something called "Public Domain." Basically, it is a community based thing, and the fact that it is "DCW's wiki" has nothing to do with it. You can't copyright something in public domain, which all wikis are as part of the open source project. From the MediaWiki main page "Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License" So yeah... No permissions are needed. Everything is copyright free.

That is why I didn't bring up Maurice's permission in my little analysis. The issue is with the illegal distribution of the manga and anime, not with the wiki.

http://creativecommo...nses/by-sa/3.0/ Read, that is what this site's Wiki operates under. Bring that to court saying it was distributed on an android app without permission and they'll likely laugh at you.

I'm not pertaining to the wiki, but the website. :)