Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Miss Smiles

The missing detective

Ahhh, next one is final chapter! I'm so excited!

lol me too. i'm also anxious to see HOW conan is going to explain NOT having a left ear when meeting up again with the DB and with ran. i also wonder if his parents will show up

because that ear EXPLODED with that building. they left it in there

... the writer is so cruel..... *want to cry* Ayumi and Ran will be devastated to see him don't have a ear.

;.; i know and he can't turn back to shinichi due to lack of ear so he'll have to tell his secret

26 pages? I think yours can go over 50. I like to organize the structure, it's fun. :smile: I like your story, and I think it has potential to be novel. I like writing stories. :)

*blink* maybe my writer's block wasn't fully cured. *smack my own head* I'm out of ideas after I got Conan rescued. I have original plan is to let him say deduction straightaway, but I did let friend help me edit but time clash so I'm stuck at chapter 5. You both find chapter 5 incomplete? ???

poet it's me aoko. sorry. i lost the password to my old account so i made this one. i got a new tower to this computer and had to reinstall everything and went to sign on...i lost the paper

Disclaimer: I don't own characters as they belong to Gosho!

A/N: Here is the moment you both waiting for! It's last chapter.

CHAPTER 5- Remaining is secret

Kuroba caught glimpse of Heiji's eyes gazing suspiciously at him after hearing that Heiji had decided to go with Megure to the police headquarters.

'I'm not going with you, if you're wondering,' Kuroba said, 'I've to meet Aoko soon. I'm not going to hang around here.'

Heiji looked curiously at him, but his expression changed with a smile and surprising words came out of his lips.

'Okay, I won't stop you. Go if you must,' Heiji said. His tone lightened up the room as if he was Kuroba's best friend. 'But don't let me find you soon.'

His eyes twinkled as he gave Kuroba a wink, making Kuroba feel uncomfortable.

'Sure. The case is more important than me,' Kuroba said with a fake grin, sensing that Heiji already knew who he was. 'Bye!'

He waved back at them before he left the room.

Kuroba looked around the corridor and when he saw no one in sight, he let himself grimace in pain as he cradled his injured arm.

'Moving is so painful…'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Half an hour later.

'What else d'ya need ta say, Mr. Whitehead?'

'Leave out my family surname. You're not my disciplinary teacher,' the kidnapper snapped angrily. 'Don't mock me.'

'Why change Japanese surname ter English? I still don't get it,' Heiji said, shaking his head before continuing.

'Now you can't deny the evidence, the glove,' the glove laid on the table was pointed, 'is the one you hid under the carving pavement. You dare say you're not involved?'

Heiji held his breath, receiving the glare from the kidnapper that was sitting behind the table.

The lawyer beside him watched Heiji's every move warily though attentively, listening to the detective's every word.

'I'd like to see you try how ter weasel out of court with t'is evidence. Who do ya think the court will side with, Souya Whitehead.'

'Stop it with the surname. Forget getting answers from me if you keep it up,' Souya continued staring with reproach, 'I like my name, thank you very much.'

Tensi looked incredibly irritated as he watched them interacting and interrupted.

'Mr. Inspector, what were you thinking when you allowed this detective to take charge of this situation?' He stared at Megure but the group of police remained impassive.

'Did all mah words fall deaf in yer ears?' Heiji growled, and narrowed his eyes at him. 'You want more of it?'

'Save it for the court. My client has the right to remain silent after all your questions.'

'There is no court. Take mah suggestion and save yer time fer the next case. I assure you, it would be a wise move,' implied Heiji, looking evenly at him and receiving a cool stare in return.

'This evidence has to be verified by the judge personally. You both immediately assumed that my client was the culprit without examining the evidence's authenticity.'

'Then I will ask Souya. He left out some parts that… I t'ink he doesn't understand them.'

'What do you mean?' Tensi asked, looking incredulous as Souya watched at him with surprise and raised eyebrows.

'You're not making sense. Inspector, look at him, he's a deranged detective. You should not take him seriously.' Souya said, pointing at Heiji. He was caught off guard when the detective suddenly grabbed his arm, pulling it up and revealing the oil stain on his sleeve.

'How do you explain t'is? A child-like fingerprint was on it? T'is is good enough.' Heiji's lips curled into a smirk.

Souya gawked at him, speechless, while the lawyer gazed at it with his vivid eyes.

'There has to be an explanation for-' Tensi's demanding words were cut short when a deep voice spoke up. It could've been mistaken as Kuroba's serious voice when he had talked to them earlier when they first met Conan's rescuer.

Heiji knew it wasn't Kuroba though he did recognize it. It seemed to have been a very long time since he last heard that voice and turning around to its source confirmed his suspicions. There he saw Shinichi, in Conan's form, Ran helping him and supporting his shoulders with her hands as he stood unsteadily, finishing his sentence.

'It was me who accidentally touched him with stain.'

Souya realized Conan had entered and gulped in fear.

'It's oil paint from the warehouse. He was careless, and he accidentally spilled the black paint when he knocked down a glass bottle... without him knowing, I used my finger touch it while feigning my struggle.'

Conan was watching Souya, before the door suddenly burst open, revealing Souya's mother, Mrs. Hamacho, with her arms extended but retracted it the moment she noticed Ran's look.

'I'm sorry, did I interrupt?' she asked in the sweetest voice she could muster.

Heiji's stomach lurched slightly at her tone but he ignored it. 'Ter glove doesn't only have Ku-Conan's fingerprint, it has yours too.'

Heiji crossed his arms with smirk, quickly recomposing himself as he reverted his eyes back to Souya. Megure turned around to meet Mrs. Hamacho. He briefly exchanged a glance with Heiji before returning his gaze to the woman.

'Well, it's time to tell her our verdict. Mrs. Hamacho, your son is found guilty for kidnapping with solid evidence and witness. He's going to jail. You can ask your lawyer to retreat, and…. Case closed.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Mrs. Hamacho had taken the angry lawyer away and Souya was arrested by the police and sent to jail, Conan went home with Kogoro and Ran, leaving Heiji when he told them he had to return to Osaka and find Kazuha when he received an unhappy call from her. He was on his way home when Conan called him. Picking up his phone, he overheard Conan telling a doctor to allow him to be discharged for he wasn't injured.

However, before Shinichi had a chance to question Heiji, he was interrupted when Heiji told him that had to pick up his mother's call. Conan had now reached home with Ran, his uncle retreating to his office while they stood outside their house's front door.

'I wonder what Heiji wanted to talk to me about before he was interrupted.'

Conan looked at Ran curiously but only received her puzzled gaze.

'Maybe it's about the case,' she said as her hand pushed the door open with happy smile directed at Conan. 'He's eager to share with you his thoughts.'

'I thought about that too, but he told me that wasn't the reason. I guess it's about Kuroba who saved me.' Conan pondered. 'He didn't stay around to wait for me to wake up. I haven't got a chance to say thanks to him…'

'Have you seen Kuroba's face?'

Ran asked but watched Conan shaking his head.

'I only felt him grabbing me from behind. It felt like we were flying. I was surprised, but I fell unconscious shortly after. I'm dying to see his face!'

'You want to know?' Ran asked and the curiosity in Conan's eyes intensified.

'He looked like Shinichi, but his hair was messy. I think Shinichi's hair is better than his. He looks cooler and more handsome... Conan, why are you blushing?'

'NOTHING, Ran-nee-chan!' Conan said hastily but his hands were clasped around his red face.

'I was talking about Shinichi, but why…?' Ran stared at him with puzzled look.

'Because…. It's because…. Shinichi said I looked like him when he's small! He said I look good enough to be his sibling… ehhh….' Conan's finger fiddled around together as he avoided Ran's gaze, everything else becoming more interesting to him than her face.

He could not take it any longer when silence filled the room. He quickly ran to Kogoro's bedroom as he continued to laugh nervously at Ran. His face became anxious the moment he closed the door.

He panted heavily, pressing his back against the door behind him. He stared at the opened window in front of him, trying to calm his ragged breath to its usual pace. His pants were the only thing he could hear and when it was finally slowed down, he turned on the light.

'That was closed call… and weird…' his words trailing off. He stared into space, deep thoughts entering his mind which were suddenly interrupted by Kogoro's wild call about Yoko from his office.

'Okay, I'll go and read my novel…'

Shinichi whispered to himself with composed smile, then headed towards the shelf where he put his novels alongside Kogoro's collection. When his hand was stretched to grab a book, his phone rang.

Picking it up, he immediately heard a familiar voice greeting him.

'Kudou, wha' cha doing?' Heiji asked happily.

'Do you really have to make a call to hear me say I'm alright…?' Conan said with deadpanned tone which caused Heiji to laugh, triggering a scowl to appear on his face.

'You don't have ter appear angry,' Heiji's voice said, amused. 'I'm now on a train, there's no one to talk ta, but you came to mah mind. Let's talk about Kaitou Kid that we met today.'

Heiji's topic perked up Shinichi's interest making him hit his head on the shelf. His spectacle slipped down to the tip of his nose, but he adjusted back. He went to the side of Kogoro's bed and sat on it.

'Ran did talk about it briefly, after I woke up in hospital. I have one question to ask you.'

'Sure.'

'Did you see Kaitou Kid fly after the heist?'

Shinichi pressed his phone nearer to his ear, attentively listening to hear Heiji's answer.

'…. I haven't. But I know he's good at the disappearin' act. Are yer having a suspicion?'

'I'm not that sure… I can't pinpoint it.'

'Hmmm…. I t'ink he's looking forward to tomorrow's newspaper. No headline, good news.'

'yeah, yeah,' Shinichi dismissed Heiji's comment, feeling slightly bored. 'You called to tell me Kaitou Kid's plan to read the newspaper? I'm not interested to know if he plans to read it in the toilet or the classroom.'

Heiji chuckled at Shinichi's words.

'Yer may not know.'

Shinichi could imagine Heiji shrugging his comment off and smiling.

'Actually I admit I wasn't happy wiv him fer findin' you first but, I see no point in holding a grudge. We were both worried when you went missing. What matters is yer safety.'

'So it was the reason why you didn't reveal who Kaitou Kid is?'

'Yeah, he lives in Tokyo… it's quite obvious. Who do yer think he remind you of?'

'Why don't you tell me?' Shinichi asked in challenging tone.

'Hmmm… Well…. Do… do you think he reminds you of magician we've met in the past?'

'Duh, the guy we met whose hairline is zigzag as a zebra's stripes. Are you going to answer, or not?'

Heiji snorted while Shinichi tried to figure him out. He had a feeling that Heiji was holding information back from him as he waited for the Osaka detective's answer.

'What I can say about him?' Heiji's voice over the phone held an edge of wistful tone.

Shinichi looked annoyed, but then he heard a gentle rustle outside the window and saw a paper plane fly in and neatly land on the bed. It must be Kaitou Kid!Shinichi thought.

He snatched and opened it, staring incredulously at it as he heard Heiji's answer. He had already expected that Heiji would not tell him, with all the delay and excuses he was making, but he could not bring himself to the moment after he heard.

'He… is for yer to find out.'

A/N: As you both notice, the surname has changed when I write about the kidnapper. But do you believe he change his surname? Here's the trivial facts: he did not officially change his surname but want to be widely known with Western surname, as his family was under Western influence but his father is traditional as he only associate with Westerner as boss of his company during any conferences.

His father never show up but claim he will help his son, as form of condition agreement when his son is part of family. But his son wasn't married, if he did plan to change surname his father prefer son to keep surname by ways or means even have to send lackey to rip up surname change application form, would use drastic measures to let his son start from scratch of poverty and lack of shelter. But as his son, the kidnapper agree with terms not to change, allow his friends and stranger start to use his new surname if to address him in social ring of group.