Detective Conan World
Sir Aaron

Detective Conan Reviews Thread.

Just like Books, performances, films, Video games are analyzed, Animes are also analysed and reviewed. Since, there was no thread regarding reviews on Detective Conan, we can use this thread for your reviews, your evaluation, your rating, your comments on Detective Conan. System is Crucial. Please try to follow this format.

Storyline/Plot:

Animation/Art:

Sound:

Character:

Originality:

Overall:

Sample Review

Storyline/Plot: 10/10.

I must say, the story which they did for Detective Conan is plainly brilliant. Basically, the plot is for Kudo Shin’ichi who is known to be Edogawa Conan (Shrink form) to get his body back from the "Men in Black" at first, but then later on, Kudo discovered that the "Men in Black" are not just some regular people. Kudo soon discover that they are from the Organization/Syndicate known to be BO (Black Organization). An organization which is even far superior than Mafia/gangs/assassin. As the story progress, Kudo find himself staying with Ran and Mouri Kogorou (Detective, later on a famous Detective thanks to Conan) because he thought that if he were to be involve in cases, he would find the BO quicker that way, but it seems that it wasn’t easier than he thought it would be.

Animation/Art: 8/10.

The art starts out very old stylish since the anime was created in 1996, but it gets better every year as the series progress. You might find it a bit annoyed or disliking the art at first, but don’t fall for it, it will get better. Although in my opinion, I simply like the art because it is not loli (but, Shounen meaning young teens or young children), does not have one of those high or extremely cute figure or eyes. Basically, it has feeling or reality. For example, Foreigner looks like Foreigner and Japanese looks like Japanese.

Sound: 9/10.

I must say, it may be old, but it still got the beat and rhythm nicely (esp. Two-Mix [Japanese Artist]). There are also cases that involves music. Opening and Ending are fair enough. I was especially fond with the BGM.

Characters: 9/10.

I heard many complaints about the "Detective Boys", and I too don’t like them too much, but they are all right at some point of time. I also heard many that dislike Ran, but I find nothing bad about her, just a little annoying. Mouri Kogorou on the other hand, very hilarious. Although I do find it annoying that Kogorou rarely solve any cases for himself, Conan does it the most.

Originality: 10/10.

Something that has not been thought of. There may be a bit similar case that were shown in the show from a certain novel or series, but nevertheless, everything in Detective Conan is original.

Overall: 9/10, I am a fan of mystery and a fan of Detective Conan. For those who don’t like mystery or not a fan, 8/10.

• Upvote 2

For my review I’m going to split plot and story into 2 categories. Plot will refer to canon content and story will refer to everything else.

Plot: I have to say that this is a really interesting anime and it makes me excited when new cases come out that involve the Black Organization. I like stories that involve a lot of mystery/plot twists, and the canon of Detective Conan does not fail to amaze me. The amount of stress Shinichi goes through every time he has to tell Ran that he won’t be able to make it just burns a hole in my heart. And to make it even worse, we get OVA 9 that just destroys me. I know Gosho is one “Master troll” but seeing Genta’s face in almost every post-BO case stops me from giving Detective Conan’s plot a perfect score. With that said, I think it would be interesting to see cases involving Shinichi (or Conan if he is stuck in that form forever) after his final engagement with the BO. I’ll also include arcs like metropolitan police love story and desperate revival in this section but I won’t talk about them… even though they are incredible and very fun to watch.

8/10 (When the plot finally ends this score will probably go higher)

Story: I choose to split the two because aside from the repetitive praise that the plot will get I just have to talk about the fillers. Please keep in mind, although I do find some cases strange and/or stupid, I do plan on watching every case because I like how there is always that slim chance that I will solve the case before Conan’s explanation.

How on earth has Conan/Shinichi’s identity been kept a secret for this long?! I mean, for someone to actually solve cases while they sleep in absolutely absurd. I know Kogoro has thought to himself “I don’t remember how I solved it.” Etc, etc, etc. But come on it is getting ridiculous. (It is the same for Sonoko and everyone else Conan put to sleep and solved cases using their voice) However, on that point, it is funny to see how Conan manages to wiggle himself and Kogoro out of suspicion. Don’t even get me started on the Detective Boys and cases revolving around them.

2/10

3/10 Just because this is the only anime that I’ve seen more than 100 episodes of so it’ll get the extra point.

Animation/Art: Detective Conan is the only that I’m still watching (Apart from animes that have ended and I’m watching for a 2nd or 3rd time through). I have to say that I love how the characters have evolved from their giant elephant ears into a pair that dumbo wish he had. Even though everyone has aged only a little bit, it is interesting to watch episode 1-10 then watch the 10 newest episodes to see how much the art has changed. As for the animation part, there isn’t much to say. If you were talking about Code Geass or Black Lagoon it would be easier, but Detective Conan doesn’t need “the best animation” because 99.99% of the time they are slowly walking or just standing there talking. As for when some action is actually going on, it is only when Conan is defying gravity. Oh my god I just remembered movie 15’s car animations… but I’ll let it slide because they were trying something different. If they do that again I’ll be disappointed.

8/10

Sound: I would have never found some of the opening songs that I like if it weren’t for Detective Conan. Even the main theme for DC is awesome. As for sounds/music within episode or movies, once again… awesome. I wish they would continue the dub because English is my first language and that is the way I prefer it. Although, I can’t deduct any points from the score because it doesn’t have to be translated. Nor should it be translated if they are going to switch the names.

9.5/10 (I would give sound 10, but there might be something I’m missing that I can’t think off the top of my head)

Characters: Apart from 3 kids I like every character. Pretty much every reoccurring character has their own unique traits that make them awesome every episode there are in. With that, we can expect what the mood of an episode just by seeing 1 character. The show has a lot of exciting moments because of the Black Organizations fight with the FBI/CIA, we get a fair share of hilarious moments with Heiji/Kazuda/Ran/Conan, and we get to see how relationships build up, my favourite being Takagi/Sato (usually starting being childhood friends because Gosho likes that idea… A LOT!)

And I know I keep poking jokes at the detective boys, but I do understand that Conan would have to make a few friends during school or else he would go insane. But, I still wish death upon them.

9/10 (Would have been 10 but you know who appear in almost every episode/movie etc.)

Originality : This is kind of hard to say because the story (not plot) is pretty much based off of earlier ideas, for example; Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes, Edogawa Rampo’s Kogoro character and detective boys “gang”, and Agatha Christie’s “Poirot”. It is obvious that Gosho got his inspiration from the 3 authors above to write about his own “consulting detective”. As mentioned above, he also pays tribute to those 3 by the constant references to their works throughout the series. As for the plot (BO related), I’ve never seen anything like it.

10/10 (perfect score because even with my little hatreds(spelling? lol) towards parts of the plot, it is original for me haha)

Overall: I would recommend Detective Conan to all anime lovers. However, I would tell them to skip pretty much all fillers and detective boys’ cases for their repetitive nature unless they really really really wanted to watch more. Still, that only applied to episodes, the movies/OVA’s/magic files are a real breath of fresh air because, for the most part *cough movie 11* they are awesome.

Unfortunately, as much as I like Detective Conan, I cannot ignore how much Gosho has trolled us with the series going from a thrilling Black Organization case, to the detective boys being the detective boys. Don’t get me wrong, I do not hate fillers. The amount of them almost outweighs the number of brilliant and superbly well thought-out episodes.

8/10

I really didn't go into much detail because this could easily be 3 or 4 times the length and I haven't seen a lot of the cases for over 2 years now and my memory of them is a little fuzzy.

Storyline/Plot:

Kudos to Gosho for being able to come up with so many cases over the years. I do regret

the lack of more 'Agatha Christie-like' cases in recent years.

Plot starts well but becomes confusing and a a bit out of place for a detective series (FBI, CIA ? Seriously ?).

7.5/10

Animation/Art:

10/10 for the old art. 6/10 for the new art. So 8/10 overall.

Sound:

10/10 for the old music. 5/10 for the new music. 7.5/10 overall.

Character:

Some criticize the lack of character developement, I don't really mind that.

Interesting characters overall, although a bit cliché.

Overused childhood relationships.

8/10

Originality:

9/10. Not many detective series out there.

Overall:

8/10