Detective Conan World
Chianti

Who's better off with Shinichi? Haibara Ai or Ran??

I like Ran and ShinRan both, but in ConAi I've seen probably the most special chemistry between two people. Seriously, everything just falls into place between the two. I don't have any problem with the kind angelic girl getting the cool guy like always, it happens most of the times, it will be somewhat nice, but for this ONE time I wish I get my couple. 

Ai is an interesting character, but I will always root for Shinichi and Ran because for me the bond established in childhood will always seem more touching and tender than any relationship that can be established between people who met as adults or late teens. I can't really logically explain it, but for me only childhood bonds have all the tenderness and innocence that touch my heart. I respect other kind of pairings as well, but when the two characters don't have innocent childhood memories to share together, I simply can't feel the same.

I prefer Ai as an individual rather than someone involved as a couple. She has plenty of potential as a scientist and an interesting personality on her own.

That's why I root for ShinRan- besides, they were childhood friends and their 'long-distance relationship' can be humorous to the plot at times- it has already become the storyline for many episodes. 

All in all, I don't think bad of Conan and Ai (in fact, I know someone who stands by ConAi no matter what), but I've always believed ShinRan to be a more interesting couple.

Far from saying that Ran sucks, Shiho would be a better fellow to Shinichi.

Ran is a kind hearted girl who would become a typical house wife after getting married with Shinichi.

In other hand, Haibara is the person which can really complete Shinichi... she is sharp, is able to contribute with his (or Conan's -- doesn't matter) deductions and know how to really tease him. Besides, she would be a nice wife too (animal lover, knows how to help wish domestic duties) and has a taste for brands and fashion which makes her a good companion for Shinichi when showing off during deductions !

Telling me to choose is like telling me to jump off a cliff! I'm sure the ending's going to be a ShinRan one, and I really love them together, but I also think Haibara's just awesome and them being together would be so amazing! (What happened to Ran? O_o)

I tried to vote for Haibara cuz Ran's in the lead anyway, but it told me I had to fill out all the questions. I did! >o<

Who's better? I prefer MYSELF !!! Hahaha I'm just kidding, you guys dont have to stared at me that tense :v

Hmm.. I think Shinichi is better with Ran because if I compare to Haibara, she is intelligent and cool. It looks like Haibara is the girl version of Shinichi. Just say that Shinichi is the left part of a heart, Haibara might be the left part too, so they can't be a perfect heart. But if Ran, she's careless and strong but mentally weak. The opposite of Shinichi. She's like the right part of heart, they can complete each other, so I think Shinichi is better with Ran. :3

ShinRan.

I'm a sucker for childhood friends. If it weren't for that I'd be completely for ConAi.

Honestly, it's the relationship Shinichi and Ran had during their childhood. It has been developed so thoroughly that if Gosho (for whatever unlikely reason) decided to end the series with Conan and Haibara, it'd be a kick in the gut for both Ran, Shinichi, and many of the DC viewers.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why many support ConAi, and I'm not going to try to oppose their views, but the series just makes more sense if Shinichi and Ran end up together.

• Upvote 1

A shipper always biased toward his/her favorite pairing. So everyone feels free to see great chemistry between their favorite couple. Chemistry didnt always tend to be a romantic one. It could be friendship or anything.

By the way you put your words, who's better off with Shinichi, not who Shinichi is better off with, I'd say Ai.

To support my theory, say, Shinichi took the permanent antidote, grows up, marries Ran and continues his job as a detective. That's the ideal situation, no? But what if he have to go somewhere else for real this time? His work will be disturbed by Ran, that's for sure. If Ran was crying and worrying and getting angry this much before they even had a drop of chemistry (no, blushing and fidgeting is NOT chemistry), I can see how bad it will be in the future. Must be tiring.

Even if he works 'local-only', things can still get pretty hectic, no? If Conan gets involved with that much danger when he's a child, one must wonder how wild things will get for Shinichi. And how much Ran will worry (not to mention angry). I don't see how a hen with a troublesomely curious chick can be happy.

Worst case imaginable, Shinichi have to abandon his job as a detective.

Ai on the other hand, is fitting for Shinichi. She understood his job and the danger he can get in. She can get him out of danger too, I persume. I can't see her fussing over him. Worried for him, maybe. But getting mad for not picking up his phone and cry over him? No way. If any, she can give him her support and be his Watson (plus Irene). Hell, she can just go for detective work too.

After losing so much, I felt Ai should have someone who truly understood her. I can't see anyone else for her. [Note: Like I warned you, I'll be ignoring Shinichi's view here]

Ran on the other hand, can fit in with practically everybody. That's her positive side, so use it for goodness sake. Let go of your teenage crush and find your own life to live.

To support my theory, say, Shinichi took the permanent antidote, grows up, marries Ran and continues his job as a detective. That's the ideal situation, no? But what if he have to go somewhere else for real this time? His work will be disturbed by Ran, that's for sure. If Ran was crying and worrying and getting angry this much before they even had a drop of chemistry (no, blushing and fidgeting is NOT chemistry), I can see how bad it will be in the future. Must be tiring.

Even if he works 'local-only', things can still get pretty hectic, no? If Conan gets involved with that much danger when he's a child, one must wonder how wild things will get for Shinichi. And how much Ran will worry (not to mention angry). I don't see how a hen with a troublesomely curious chick can be happy.

Worst case imaginable, Shinichi have to abandon his job as a detective.

Alright, first of all, saying that they've had no chemistry so far, is completely false. Chemistry is not a term for solely love relationships; chemistry is especially important in the first meetings of two person, it describes if people simply "click" and if they understand each other without much need for words, if people simply feel the same. It's very complex. Shinichi and Ran share an enourmous chemistry.

Why would his work be disturbed by Ran? She is quite used to him solving cases; he really started to work with the police after their New York Trip, which was also the time she realized how much she loved him. Never did we see Ran having problems or getting angry with Shinichi for solving cases. Even as Shinichi made his trip alone to East Ohuko Village, we don't have any evidence that got overly worried or even angry at all. The reason, why Ran is so worried is, because Shinichi simply vanishes. The circumstances are not normal. If he could/would tell her where he is and what the case is about, than I doubt Ran would worry even close to as much as she's currently doing - which is not much by the way. Ever since London, Ran isn't really actively angry or worrying or crying for Shinichi anymore. Because she trusts him.

Also, don't forget that Ran has grown up with her family being at risk due to law enforcement/detective work. She grew up as a policemens daughter; I doubt she would go into a frenzy evertime Shinichi had case, especially since Conan and Kogoro regularly have severe cases and she doesn't into overdrive everytime.

Additionally, Ran likes it when Shinichi solves cases. Just aside from sharing the sense for justice and morality, she simply loves to him solve the case and to see the expression on his face when he figures something out. That is a thing that makes her happy. So, why would go so completely nuts when he does it?

Ai on the other hand, is fitting for Shinichi. She understood his job and the danger he can get in. She can get him out of danger too, I persume. I can't see her fussing over him. Worried for him, maybe. But getting mad for not picking up his phone and cry over him? No way. If any, she can give him her support and be his Watson (plus Irene). Hell, she can just go for detective work too.

These are all things that fit Ran as well. Ran understands the danger, she grew up with it and lives with it. Ran is more than capable of getting Shinichi out of danger, as she demonstrated several times already. This state that you only say for Ai: worried, but not fussing is exactly the state I would imagine being in, if their relationship got serious. Also, Ran is completely capable of being his Watson. How do I know this? Because she has been his Watson several times over the course of the series already. Hell, even as Conan she regularly serves him as Watson.

But getting mad for not picking up his phone and cry over him?

When was the last time she's done that? In our time? Roughly ten years ago I'd guess.

• Upvote 2

There are good points, but I'd add something which was comepletely my own opinion. Kay? I always took chemistry as 'the complex emotional or psychological interaction between two people', directly from a dictionary. I had always simplify it as 'love' and I meant 'sex love' or the 'love' our parents have. Or, the deep relationship betwen friends. I had read a lot of books and mangas and animes, and Shinichi and Ran's relationship isn't 'deep' to me. Maybe it's just because we didn't get too much of ShinRan from childhood, but I didn't see the deepness.

I may have gone overboard by saying Ran and Shinichi has zero chemistry (sorry), but by general, it means that they aren't boyfriend and girlfriend. They are just teenagers having a crush. When a boy and girl spends too much time together, it happens (Again, my opinion) and I'm pretty sure they don't go 'click'. Ran didn't share the same interest with Shinichi and vice versa. I also didn't see any time they had a conversation about something nor they show signs of 'understanding each other'. Don't mess up the difference between quality and quantity of time.

She is quite used to him solving cases, sure. But getting angry for not picking up his phone I can confirm. In the 'Edogawa Conan disappears, the worst two days in history' or something similar, Shinichi is in the city, he saved Conan (a child who fell unconsious in the bath), or so Ran thought. She cheers up, and proceed to call him. The reciever (or something. I wasn't good with languages) answered, which angers her.

And what exactly was she angry with. If she was mad Shinichi didn't call her when he was in the city (which still didn't male sense. Did Shinichi owe her something? Did I miss an episode?), she would've get angry immediately when she heard the news.

It may be my mistake in memory, it was quite long ago. I'd back off if that was the case.

And your second point. She grew up as a policeman's daughter. That is a mistake and I'll regard it as a typo on your part. She's a detective's daughter, mind you.

And that got nothing to do with anything. Her father was at work, and Ran was a school, or home. She didn't trot around with him on every case. She lived a normal, seperate life. For example, was a policeman's daughter used to corpses or guns? Wait, that's beside the point.

Anyway, having a detective for a daughter and a detective for a partner is two different things. What!/ more is the difference in level. And what I find entertaining on DC is how Conan got stuck on crazy cases. Cases even normal detective wouldn't get stuck on, and most definitely not Kogoro. Note how rashly Shinichi acted sometimes.

He sometimes conforts the culprit himself (not that Kogoro didn't, but hey, he has a reason to do so. Like, the culprit is his friend) like the culprit who commited suicide in front of him. What if, the culprit panicked and attacked him instead (it's a possibility). It's not nessecarily a bad thing, but can be dangerous. And like the movie of the serial killer, the sniper case? I doubt he would've acted differently if he was Shinichi. What if Ran knew what he was doing? Well, you can imagine. If Ran, as you said 'click' with and understood him, she'll know what he'll do, which is getting killed trying to save the victim (if Sera didn't interfere). What will Ran do, if Shinichi found a similar case near future and actually explained it to her. She'll stop him, definitely.

And Conan didn't have cases. To her, he is just a kid who often gets in cases or just happens to tag along.

And Kogoro didn't interfere with cases like that, or rather, we haven't seen him did. Ran didn't have much reason to worry about her father, thus, not used to 'it'. Plus, he's a full grown man martial artist. He can handle himself just fine.

And Shinichi? He has brains and can kick a ball (and a vase, and a lot of other things). But he's not a trained police, nor was Ran. And I don't see him training anytime soon.

And again, I was distracted. Sorry.

POINT : Not every case can be 'explained'. Some cases must be kept in the dark or too long to explain. Or if explained, will bring no good. Shinichi emcountered a lot of cases like this, unfortunately. And even if he explained it to her, she'll still worry. I mentioned 'worry' several times up there.

Why does she go completely nuts when he does it? Sorry, I never remembered mentioning anything like 'nuts'. I said, she'll worry and somethimes, get angry. And I didn't remember she getting Conan out of danger. If any, SHE gets into danger all the time. What happens to all 'Save me, Shinichi'?

And she's just as reckless as Shinichi, honestly. Eg. that writer case. When the dead writer's brother want to find the killer. And Sera (Sonoko too, if I remember right) and Ran is there. Policemans are out there, trying to shoot that brother and Sera is trying to lead that brother to the windoe, where polices get a full view of the brother. And what did Ran do? She shuts the window, because she felt that Shinichi wouldn't do it. So, there is your father, 3 suspects (two of them innocent), your friends and your life in there which you would give up because YOU FELT THAT SHINICHI WON'T DO IT. Tell me how exactly she understood the danger of detective life when she didn't understood the danger of someone wielding a gun and had bombs on him. You tell me that she is the Watson for Shinichi which brought us to the next case.

Ai is more capable for being Conan's Watson. She has shown herself smarter than Conan several times (Calico cat case, ect), and impressed at Conan's deductions often too. And you seem to not understand Watson's role in Sherlock's life.

As a Sherlock fan, I feel the need to make it clear. Since Sherlock isn't exactly a 'people person', Watson acts as a tons of role. His best friend, his confident, his partner. (Conan confirmed the partner thing, btw). Watson isn't smart at cases (but Ai is, she just can't stand out much. BO and all. Which is why I said she is partly 'Irene', the only woman Sherlock held in admiration. The only woman who can match Sherlock intellectually, and sometimes, outwit him. {again, look at Calico cat case}). Watson often follows Sherlock to cases, and can sometimes help.

Plus, Watson is more to the science than mystery and plotting. Which is also Ai, an accomplished chemist at age 18.

And as an extra, I'll make it clear Ai is only partly Irene Alder. I don't know how of Conan admires her or not (again, Sherlock admires Alder) and Ai is a good singer, just has a voice too deep for her age (Alder is a great singer). Ai can act well, just in the wrong body -Baker Street movie- (Alder can act well too), she has a sharp edge to her voice (Alder has a sharp tounge).

She is just, unsurprisingly paranoid and not a master of disguise.

Ran serves as Watson to Conan reguraly? What do you think Watson is to Sherlock? His wife?

Lastly, roughly ten years ago. Honestly, look at DC mere carefully. Your roughly 'ten years ago' is just a few months or heck, days in DC.

So. My fingers need a rest. I hope I got all my points across. Amd I didn't get the 'quote' thing, so I didn't use it. But is is for @Serinox kay? But I love arguing, so if someone's opinion differ please do.

^forgive me for the typos, by the way. I didn't sleep well, so the sleepiness had caught up on me and I was using an Ipad, which was understandably harder than laptops.

Alright, just a few little things:

1. Disappreance of Conan Edogawa was a TV Special and is therefore not canon. Besides, that plot point with Ran was only in there to get something for the advertising, so it's more of a writer's flaw, than a character flaw. Anyway, not canon, so we can disregard it.

2. Kogoro was a policeman before he became a private eye. And the point is, that Ran grew up, where her father was constantly in worriesome situations, because law enforcement is not the safest job. She is used to that feeling, even if she never came along.

3. Again, as it shows time and time again through your text: the movies are not canon and therefore are irrelevant for character analysis. Ran only gets in danger in the movies often, because the writers need a climax. Also, Conan confirming the partner thing is also just in the movies.

4. As I wrote, I meant the ten years in our time, not in-universe time. Many of the things with Ran longing and Ran crying are not from recently.

Anyway, I don't think we'll ever reach a point of understanding. You hate Ran with all your heart and soul, as you have written in another thread, and I love the character, so we should just leave it at that.

• Upvote 2

Ah, that so? I always stick to the animes and movies, so my bad.

1. I don't get how is Ran getting angry is 'advertising'. But I guess I'm at fault here, so sorry.

2. And again, like I said, having a father as a police and having a lover as a police is different. Especially how Shinichi seems to always get stuck on extremely dangerous situations. And the level of danger Kogoro and Shinichi get is way different. And Shinichi tends to confort situations more, which is the reason he's stuck in his current body.

3. Sorry, I've always thought Aoyama wrote the movies himself too.

4. That's irrevelant. I watched DC with dashing over episodes in weeks, so I don't really care how many years DC has gone. The actual time for DC to go doesn't concern me.

I can understand Ran lovers, in a way. Since I was one of you once too ^^ But as DC grew, she gets irritating. And I was fine with her now. I just like her least. I apologized for hating her in that thread too, btw.

Alright, first of all, saying that they've had no chemistry so far, is completely false. Chemistry is not a term for solely love relationships; chemistry is especially important in the first meetings of two person, it describes if people simply "click" and if they understand each other without much need for words, if people simply feel the same. It's very complex. Shinichi and Ran share an enourmous chemistry.

Why would his work be disturbed by Ran? She is quite used to him solving cases; he really started to work with the police after their New York Trip, which was also the time she realized how much she loved him. Never did we see Ran having problems or getting angry with Shinichi for solving cases. Even as Shinichi made his trip alone to East Ohuko Village, we don't have any evidence that got overly worried or even angry at all. The reason, why Ran is so worried is, because Shinichi simply vanishes. The circumstances are not normal. If he could/would tell her where he is and what the case is about, than I doubt Ran would worry even close to as much as she's currently doing - which is not much by the way. Ever since London, Ran isn't really actively angry or worrying or crying for Shinichi anymore. Because she trusts him.

Also, don't forget that Ran has grown up with her family being at risk due to law enforcement/detective work. She grew up as a policemens daughter; I doubt she would go into a frenzy evertime Shinichi had case, especially since Conan and Kogoro regularly have severe cases and she doesn't into overdrive everytime.

Additionally, Ran likes it when Shinichi solves cases. Just aside from sharing the sense for justice and morality, she simply loves to him solve the case and to see the expression on his face when he figures something out. That is a thing that makes her happy. So, why would go so completely nuts when he does it?

These are all things that fit Ran as well. Ran understands the danger, she grew up with it and lives with it. Ran is more than capable of getting Shinichi out of danger, as she demonstrated several times already. This state that you only say for Ai: worried, but not fussing is exactly the state I would imagine being in, if their relationship got serious. Also, Ran is completely capable of being his Watson. How do I know this? Because she has been his Watson several times over the course of the series already. Hell, even as Conan she regularly serves him as Watson.

When was the last time she's done that? In our time? Roughly ten years ago I'd guess.

Shinichi and Ran don't have good chemistry. They haven't had a proper conversation in the whole series and I can't imagine them having one in the future, all of their 'conversations' were their usual mushy and kawaii moments, or one of them going on and on about something which the other doesn't care about. I'm starting to think that Shinichi only likes her cause she's pretty.

Ran is kind but I don't think she shares the sense of justice and morality, whenever she's showcased those qualities it's only because she thinks "Shinichi would have said/did it like that".

Ran doesn't 'understand' the danger really, but she's definitely experienced it, she probably wasn't involved at all when her father did his detective work, and she definitely doesn't 'live' with it, because, again she's just an average high school girl, it's her father who's involved. Also, it's been demonstrated several times that she can, on her own, only rely on Karate to take out a few goons, in some cases it requires brains to get out, which she's not capable of. Even during Karate when the going gets tough, she gets defeated, and then 'save me, Shinichi !'

How is Ran Shinichi's Watson or Irene ? That's a dumb comparison, and I don't think you thought that through.

• Upvote 1

I don't want to be condescending, but is there even a debate here ? It's been pretty implied to me that Shinichi will end up with Ran. Aoyama stated in an interview that there will be a happy ending. How could it be happy if the major female character, Ran, isn't with Shinichi at the end.

Just my thoughts though some people probably won't agree.

Finally, why does it seem to be such a huge issue amongst the fandom ?

Finally, why does it seem to be such a huge issue amongst the fandom ?

Because shipping stuff... People like different things, and Gosho hasn't exactly done Ran a lot of justice throughout the years... Not to mention the movies don't do her honors, and they also like to not so subtlety imply that Conan/Ai is some sort of thing. While I'm definitely not supportive of her getting a love interest of any kind... I see the appeal behind the Co/Ai "ship" at least to some extent, I guess?

Yes, from a canon perspective, Ran is undoubtedly end-game, and her character kinda revolves around Shinichi to some extent, + we're still kinda waiting on her response to his confession (never-mind the fact that Shinichi has only ever really expressed feelings for this one person anyways). I don't think anyone really questions that (don't quote me on that). Besides, I'm quite sure that Gosho said something about Ai/Conan being "impossible". I guess people try to look at a different reality and take it to fan-fiction, which is certainly fine. 

It's more about what people think is "better" - so there certainly is a debate in this department... I mean, it's pretty evident isn't it  :lol:

Oddly enough, I kind of like both characters more without Shinichi in the mix  :P

I'm not sure it's too bad on DCW, but these shipping wars can get pretty heated elsewhere. Always find it quite annoying... It's kind of funny when someone posts something Co/Ai or Shin/Ran related from the actual series and someone gets particularly angry about it. I've had the pleasure of seeing many not so civil conversations  :lol:

• Upvote 1

I guess I'm a little biased since I'm not up to date in both the anime and manga.

And yeah I'm not trying to fanboy around (Ran is obviously my favorite character just look at my profile pic lol), but I can definitely see this debate creating flame wars on some other forums.

And I was just trying to say that I think people just make to much of a big deal from this debate, that's all.

The question 'who do you prefer to end up with Shinichi' is subjective, it is based on personal opinion. However, if we're talking about who is the better couple, then there is really only one answer. ShnichixShiho 

The second question may seem subjective too at first but there are some distinct differences, if we're talking about the better couple then there are some measures that we can use to answer the question. From a viewer's point of view, and from a fan's. 

Viewer's POV: let me start by saying that i fully understand the DC is not  romance anime, however if you're going to introduce a romantic aspect to the show it has to be on par with everything else. The most important thing for viewer's to get invested in a relationship between two characters is why they are in love, what are the events that lead to these two people to form a special connection. In shinran's case, it appears that was friendship. There is nothing special about their relationship, hell you can attribute their 'cute' moments to any two characters on any other show. I understand the appeal of the couple at first but as the series dragged on, as a viewer i was waiting for a reason to care about Ran and her relationship with Shinichi but Gosho has failed to deliver. We can tell that they love each other but they play no role in each other's lives. Basically if they weren't in 'love' they wouldn't need each other. And so it is very hard for me as a viewer to care about them. I had no problem with RAn until Haibara was introduced, because that's when we first got a glimse of what could become. The girl from the organization was such a genious idea, and her personality drew viewer's attention. But when the connection between her, Akemi and shinichi was made, that is when the foundation were set to develop and incredibly exciting and complex relationship. Haibara and Conan share very little in common, in fact their intelligence may be the only thing aside from the BO, and so watching them try and cope with each other while growing closer is really exciting to see. The show is somewhat based on Sherlock Holmes, and the way i see it we are faced with two options, Irene Adler or Mrs. Hudson, and i think there is a clean winner. 

Fan's POV: I have been watching the series for a decade now, so casual fans may not understand what i'm about to say. Before i begin i want to say the i love this show more than any other. To me no tv show or movie will ever come close to DC. And after 10 years of watching a show, i started to actually care about the characters. Shnichi is working with the FBI and the CIA and the special police, he is chasing down a criminal orginazation that global law enforcement agencies have been chasing for years. When it is all over, i can't imagine him going back to being the arrogant highschool detective, solving pity thefts and murders out of jealousy. I can't imagine him cutting ties with the FBI. I can't help but feel like somewhere inside of him he enjoys hunting down global criminal syndicates and as soon as the BO is gone there will be another and he will be there chasing them. Either way i don't see a possible way for him to go back to being a normal teenager. Here's where Shiho comes in, like i said earlier they are not alike but they each have what the other desperately needs. Shiho knows the life that Shninichi is leading himself into, she knows how it feels to hurt and she knows how it feels to lose. One day he will too, and he is going to need someone when it happens. He doesn't need someone to wait for him, he needs someone fighting alongside him and Ran could never do that, atleast not at a BO level. Shiho on the other hand needs someone that guide her through the troubles of everyday life, while at the same time gives her that opportunity to prove to herself that she can infact do good. In theory that could be anyone, but after all they went through together, and after he set the bar so high, it seems improbable that anyone can ever rise to that level. It may seem like i hate Ran, but i don't. As a character she is deeply flowed, but as a true fan i care about her deeply. My main argument against ShinRan has always been that Shinichi doesn't deserve Ran. As proof let me ask you this, what do you thing Shinichi would do if he could go back in time to the night he got shrunk and knowing fully well what would happen, would he still follow Gin? he would do it differently, but he would definitely chase after them which is not fair to Ran. To Shinichi, Ran will never come first. 

• Upvote 1

I can't imagine him cutting ties with the FBI. I can't help but feel like somewhere inside of him he enjoys hunting down global criminal syndicates and as soon as the BO is gone there will be another and he will be there chasing them. Either way i don't see a possible way for him to go back to being a normal teenager.

He doesn't need someone to wait for him, he needs someone fighting alongside him and Ran could never do that, atleast not at a BO level.

To Shinichi, Ran will never come first. 

Would only like to comment on these specific 3 quotes:

We will never know until the ending about how will those characters change. Ran may well start being involved in the Black Organization story later, at the final stage and, we don't know how good she would be in fighting alongside Shinichi. Maybe, better than people think.

Also, who knows, it's not a sure thing he will start being focused on global mafias, maybe he WILL return to investigate "normal" murders. A life of a global anti-mafia fighter is tough, we don't know whether he will make such an extreme decision, as to dedicate HIS WHOLE LIFE to working with the FBI.

Also, since Shinichi wouldn't probably be the same after the story ends, as you say, how do we know he won't change for the better due to the experience and won't start appreciating other things and people (Ran including) more than before, since he will be more experienced and serious now, not just a somehow careless teenager?

I'm also disappointed that Aoyama didn't give more attention to Ran. Reminds me a lot of how Akira Toriyama is treating Gohan from Dragon Ball.

How can you say that Ran wouldn't have the strength to fight along with Shinichi ? Who knows, anything could happen.

I also think that Shinichi is only working with the FBI so that he can chase the BO to get his normal body back and go to his normal life. It's obvious that he'll have changed, but I definitely don't see him chasing global mafias.

• Upvote 1

Back when I first started the series (around 7 years ago) I loved ShinRan. It wasn't that they were perfect together, but I thought that they really cared for each other (yes, I can obviously see that they still do). When Haibara was introduced to the equation I didn't even consider the fact that they might ever have a thing together. I was entranced with her character, but it looked like they were going to have a rocky relationship - possibly filled with anger. Then that didn't happen. They slowly became friends and in some cases dependent on one another. Yes, they bicker occasionally (way less frequently than what Ran and Shinichi did - and I'm just talking about when they were both still regular teenagers), but they are still able to understand each other and talk about things that interest them without the other telling them to shut up about it. In a couple flashbacks and phone calls we see that Ran has gotten annoyed with Shinichi for just talking about Sherlock Holmes. While yes he may talk about it a lot, it can actually be very hurtful to tell someone that something they love is annoying to hear about. Imagine someone doing that to you - saying that you talking about your favorite thing is annoying. Next time you find yourself about to say something about it - to anyone - you falter, and then you stop yourself, because you remember that someone called it annoying, and that's really hard to come back from. So yeah, I know this entire paragraph kinda jumps all over the place, but I guess I just think that Shinichi and Ran would be a couple that would be based around 'love' but when that fades they'd fall apart, not trying to fix it - whereas Shinichi and Shiho would most likely be more mature about it and more likely to talk things out and try to get things back where they were. (Sorry for this long block of text - if it's confusing let me know and i'll try to clarify what I mean)