Detective Conan World
Chianti

Who's better off with Shinichi? Haibara Ai or Ran??

I'm not considering it an actual love confession until he says "aishiteru." (sp?) :P

DCTP translated as like, therefor I will think of it as LIKE and not love. xD

Well duh... That is the literal translation. The implied translation can't be used, because it is IMPLIED. But suki is usually used for confessions in Japan. Again its a cultural thing. And for the record, aishiteru is almost never used as far as I have been told.

Well duh... That is the literal translation. The implied translation can't be used, because it is IMPLIED. But suki is usually used for confessions in Japan. Again its a cultural thing. And for the record, aishiteru is almost never used as far as I have been told.

JUST implied. :grin:

I refuse to think of anything as a love confession until DCTP at LEAST subs it "I LOVE you". :) And people can argue it's love all they want. There are still my other arguments remaining.

CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE!!!!!!! XD

He places her below his cases.

He always runs off.

They are TEENAGERS and while love has no boundaries and it doesn't matter the age, it is highly UNLIKELY for him to be in love.

And then on TOP of it DCTP subbed it as "like".

So there, my case is stated. xD

I'm not denying anything else you are saying, but Japanese is never literal. It is a language based on implications and inflection. You can't use the exact translation of like instead of love as evidence to the contrary because it contradicts the constructs of the language. If they did use aishiteru more often, I'd give it to you, but they don't... They use suki and daisuki. Neither of which mean love.

Basically throw that one argument out because it is the STANDARD for confession in Japan, and is usually inferred as love would in America. Really, love has become a cheap word in English...

Oh right and context too. Where, to what and the situation in which something is said generally alters meaning in Japanese.

Edit: direct copy from dictionary entry for suki: liking, fondness, love

Please take note of that last one.

Edit: direct copy from dictionary entry for suki: liking, fondness, love

Please take note of that last one.

:rolleyes: Love and like are far from the same thing.

Point of the matter is, when you put all of the evidence together and then add on the translation, then I think it WAS leaning more towards like.

I don't think he was saying love. If he was, then that entire list would be gone. xD

:rolleyes: Love and like are far from the same thing.

Point of the matter is, when you put all of the evidence together and then add on the translation, then I think it WAS leaning more towards like.

I don't think he was saying love. If he was, then that entire list would be gone. xD

Yes, they are, yet the words for like and love is used interchangeably in Japanese (except for aishiteru, which is pretty explicit)

And you can use said evidence, but that too is circumstantial, as we have no way of knowing the psychological state of Shinichi. None of that is direct evidence.

Circumstantial evidence is evidence in which an inference is required to connect it to a conclusion of fact.

And Direct evidence supports the truth of an assertion (in criminal law, an assertion of guilt or of innocence) directly, i.e., without an intervening inference.

And my point was that you cannot know, you are not Japanese, and based on Ran's subsequent reaction she took it as a direct confession, as she told Kazuha that Shinichi confessed to her. Normally you don't confess liking, but love. Regardless of whether or not Shinichi actually does, Ran took it to assume that he was confessing his love to her.

And before you even consider that I am defending any pairing, I'm not. I don't care anymore. Let Gosho continue to troll his fans and not complete emotional arcs and what not. I just want to see the bloody end of the series already!

Yes, they are, yet the words for like and love is used interchangeably in Japanese (except for aishiteru, which is pretty explicit)

And you can use said evidence, but that too is circumstantial, as we have no way of knowing the psychological state of Shinichi. None of that is direct evidence.

Circumstantial evidence is evidence in which an inference is required to connect it to a conclusion of fact.

And Direct evidence supports the truth of an assertion (in criminal law, an assertion of guilt or of innocence) directly, i.e., without an intervening inference.

And my point was that you cannot know, you are not Japanese, and based on Ran's subsequent reaction she took it as a direct confession, as she told Kazuha that Shinichi confessed to her. Normally you don't confess liking, but love. Regardless of whether or not Shinichi actually does, Ran took it to assume that he was confessing his love to her.

And before you even consider that I am defending any pairing, I'm not. I don't care anymore. Let Gosho continue to troll his fans and not complete emotional arcs and what not. I just want to see the bloody end of the series already!

Feelings are feelings. Like is like and love is love. :P

Too circumstantial? We know that those are the circumstances. We are'nt saying "Well... IF he HAD done this" and "If he DIDN'T do that..." w'ere saying "He DID run away" and "He DOES put her below his cases".

We know for a FACT that he is a teen.

May I also include that teens often dramatize everything, and we already know that Ran is a tad bit... dramatic. :P

But you CAN confess to liking somebody. And once again, Ran is a TEENAGE GIRL. A DRAMATIC teenage girl, at that. She may have took it like that, but with everything else, I think it's safe to sum up he meant LIKE and not LOVE. :)

And I know you aren't trying to defend them. If it were AiCon we were arguing about.... THEN I may think that. :P

Feelings are feelings. Like is like and love is love. :P

Too circumstantial? We know that those are the circumstances. We are'nt saying "Well... IF he HAD done this" and "If he DIDN'T do that..." w'ere saying "He DID run away" and "He DOES put her below his cases".

We know for a FACT that he is a teen.

May I also include that teens often dramatize everything, and we already know that Ran is a tad bit... dramatic. :P

But you CAN confess to liking somebody. And once again, Ran is a TEENAGE GIRL. A DRAMATIC teenage girl, at that. She may have took it like that, but with everything else, I think it's safe to sum up he meant LIKE and not LOVE. :)

And I know you aren't trying to defend them. If it were AiCon we were arguing about.... THEN I may think that. :P

Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a wall with you -_-;;

You do realize that you are stating evidence and the circumstances that aid in your defense, right? That is the quintessential definition of "circumstantial evidence." Insofar as you need a specific circumstance to make your evidence viable to be used in argument.

Basically your entire argument is based off of inferences. I could frankly care less if teenagers are capable of love or not. Or what Shinichi really meant or not. None of that matters.

My statement was that Ran interpreted it as a confession of love, that is all.

I don't care what Shinichi thinks or thought, because we have no way of knowing that. And btw, unless we did, anything said at that point would be considered a stronger evidence towards either of our arguments. This however is impossible as it is a character in a work of fiction.

PS: Please don't delete words when replying to me... I said "that too is circumstantial," that "is" is kinda vital to my sentence. Deleting (or shifting placement of) "is" changes the meaning of the sentence completely.

PSS: I stopped shipping debates completely. I hate them. They don't do anything. I'll debate in plot if I have any viable input, but other than that no.

Sometimes I feel like I'm talking to a wall with you -_-;;

You do realize that you are stating evidence and the circumstances that aid in your defense, right? That is the quintessential definition of "circumstantial evidence." Insofar as you need a specific circumstance to make your evidence viable to be used in argument.

Basically your entire argument is based off of inferences. I could frankly care less if teenagers are capable of love or not. Or what Shinichi really meant or not. None of that matters.

My statement was that Ran interpreted it as a confession of love, that is all.

I don't care what Shinichi thinks or thought, because we have no way of knowing that. And btw, unless we did, anything said at that point would be considered a stronger evidence towards either of our arguments. This however is impossible as it is a character in a work of fiction.

PS: Please don't delete words when replying to me... I said "that too is circumstantial," that "is" is kinda vital to my sentence. Deleting (or shifting placement of) "is" changes the meaning of the sentence completely.

PSS: I stopped shipping debates completely. I hate them. They don't do anything. I'll debate in plot if I have any viable input, but other than that no.

Good, that means you know I genuinely believe what I'm saying and I'm not budging. :P

Okay... well if that was your statement what did it have to do with me saying that Shinichi meant it as like? Ran may have taken it as love, but we all know how DRAMATIC she is. xD That comment really has nothing to do with the argument at hand.

My point is that I highly HIGHLY doubt that Shinichi is in love with Ran and that I have evidence that can support it.

Ran TAKING it as love means nothing to this argument. xD

And inferring is kinda what these threads are, you know, FOR. XD There wouldn't be arguments if people didn't INFER. (AiCon is BASED around INFERRING Haibara's feelings to Conan and... ShinRan kinda is too, really. O_o But AyuCon is also inferring. All couples are, actually.)

Arguing couples is kinda based around what people trick themselves into believing and what people actually believe with a strong theory.

Shifting it? Oh no. That was my error. I read it incorrectly. I didn't mean to do that. :P

(Well then WHY are you arguing with me about THIS? XD)

Good, that means you know I genuinely believe what I'm saying and I'm not budging. :P

Okay... well if that was your statement what did it have to do with me saying that Shinichi meant it as like? Ran may have taken it as love, but we all know how DRAMATIC she is. xD That comment really has nothing to do with the argument at hand.

My point is that I highly HIGHLY doubt that Shinichi is in love with Ran and that I have evidence that can support it.

Ran TAKING it as love means nothing to this argument. xD

And inferring is kinda what these threads are, you know, FOR. XD There wouldn't be arguments if people didn't INFER. (AiCon is BASED around INFERRING Haibara's feelings to Conan and... ShinRan kinda is too, really. O_o But AyuCon is also inferring. All couples are, actually.)

Arguing couples is kinda based around what people trick themselves into believing and what people actually believe with a strong theory.

Shifting it? Oh no. That was my error. I read it incorrectly. I didn't mean to do that. :P

(Well then WHY are you arguing with me about THIS? XD)

-sigh- I'm just going to reply to you in PM, and keep in mind the PM is meant not to be offensive, but it will sound harsh and for that I apologize in advance.

Also, just to satisfy the post here, I'm not arguing the pairing but I'm attacking your evidence in the mere hope that you would bring forth a stronger argument. (more on that in PM)

-sigh- I'm just going to reply to you in PM, and keep in mind the PM is meant not to be offensive, but it will sound harsh and for that I apologize in advance.

Also, just to satisfy the post here, I'm not arguing the pairing but I'm attacking your evidence in the mere hope that you would bring forth a stronger argument. (more on that in PM)

Oh no... not another ones of THOSE times. xD

Alrighty then.

Argue with ya when I argue with ya. :lol:

So recently, I caught up with DC's latest episodes and I've been reading around on some blogs about how it will come to an end, everyone seems to have an different idea on how the results will turn out. Some people believe that Shinichi will die, or Sherry will die or Ran will die. Some people believe that Sherry "lost" her memory and stayed her child self while Conan turned back into Shinichi and stayed with Ran. Others believe that Shinichi and Sherry will end up together.

So my question is who do you think is going to end up with Shinichi? Do you want this person to end up with him? and why?

For me, I guess I'd support Ran and Sherry both. They both have a strong connection with him.

Ran-She is like Shinichi's childhood sweetheart. They've always been close and best friends. We know from previous episode that they both like each other and they both want to tell each other how they feel but they both never really got the chance to. Everybody defines them as a couple, espcially Sonoko who defines Ran as Shinishi's wife. Everyone wants and hopes for them to be together because that would be considered a happy ending, and plus Ran waited for Shinishi for all these years.

But Sherry seems to know Shinichi more. They are bonding because they both understand each other and what each other is going through. Shinishi is keeping the secret from Ran because he wants to protect her, but we never really know how he truly feels being a child and in danger of the Black Organization. In some ways, Sherry kind of understand that because they are going through the same thing. You can kind of see that Sherry sort of likes Shinishi, but since Shinichi keeps everything to himself, you don't really know how he feels. Who knows, maybe he will start to develop feelings for Sherry as they bond more. Shinishi loves being a detective, but being a detective is a dangerous job. I don't think Shinishi and Ran will ever end up being officially together if he is going to be worried about her safty 90% of the time.Also, I have a feeling that he is telling Sherry more things then he is telling Ran.

But yeah, that is just my little thought. So tell me what you think??

Have a GREAT Sunday!

For me the answer is short and easy: Ran

Reason:

Shinichi loves Ran dearly.He would do everything for Ran. :)

Shinichi and Ran are like two sides of the same coin.They complete and need each other.

Shinichi and Shiho have a good relationship.They have a good understanding.

He also likes Shiho very much but on a friendship level. ;-)

I often can understand Shinichi's opinions and actions.

Because I'm a bit similar to him.I'm Taurus,too.

And I absolutely understand why Shinichi loves Ran and just likes Shiho.

Have a great Sunday,too! :-)

I am actually quite shocked this is even being debated. How is anyone questioning that Shinichi is trying to get his life back, and that includes getting back to Ran? How many times do we need him to say "Please wait for me, Ran..." before this sinks in?

I am actually quite shocked this is even being debated. How is anyone questioning that Shinichi is trying to get his life back, and that includes getting back to Ran? How many times do we need him to say "Please wait for me, Ran..." before this sinks in?

Well, I think it's a fair question to ask since it's saying "Who's better off with Shinichi?" rather than "Who will Shinichi be with in the end?" It's a matter of opinion based on the pairings' compatibility, not on the pairing's stronger history.

That completely negates Shinichi's opinion and choices he has already made. It destroys his character and development. Besides, compatibility and "who is better off with..." aren't exactly the same thing. :\ It's kinda like how the compatibility of my resume and a crummy retail job is great, but I'm better off not working retail.

The topic isn't asking for Shinichi's opinion. It's asking for our opinion. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that Shinichi is more compatible with Ran, but I'm not regarding what others have said as a pointless debate. If they believe that Haibara's qualities are more suitable for Shinichi, then it should be ok because it's their own personal opinion. And the compatability example you gave has little correlation with compatability in terms of relationships...

The topic isn't asking for Shinichi's opinion. It's asking for our opinion.

^

In that case Ayumi. Ayumi by faaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr.... xD

Yes, it has little to do with relationships, however it's a great example of a stark contrast in how everyone in here is completely misusing the word.

I wasn't aware that a discussion about a character's relationship choices had nothing to do with him. My bad.

Yes, it has little to do with relationships, however it's a great example of a stark contrast in how everyone in here is completely misusing the word.

I wasn't aware that a discussion about a character's relationship choices had nothing to do with him. My bad.

I totally understand what you're saying though. :) Some people need to realize that Gosho will, no matter what, pair Shinichi and Ran together, even though he is a troll and has the power to do anything.

By the way, the thing I don't like about debates here (or debates in general) is that people never try to see the light on the other side. They are always consumed by their own opinion that they never give themselves a chance to understand the other person's point of view.