Detective Conan World
justwantanaccount

Sherry's Soliloquy

アムロならもっと勘を働かせなさいよ!

ニュータイプなんだから・・・

I’m not sure how to translate this

something like “If you’re Amuro then use your perception more! Since it’s New Type…

New Type is a magazine in Japan, maybe the one that publishes DC? though I don’t understand the meaning… or maybe it’s some kind of expression using English words, what do you guys think?

"Since he is a Newtype." A Newtype is a person in the Gundam anime who has "evolved" extraordinary powers of prediction and awareness, pretty much like psychics. Amuro Ray was a Newtype, so the joke is that Amuro Tohru should be one as well. Char Aznable (Akai) and Sayla Mass (Sera) were also newtypes, although not as good as Amuro.

Shounen Sunday publishes DC.

• Upvote 2

I see :)

writing down the kana for the Santa picture for when I’ll attempt to translate it…

まっくろ な よぞら から まいおりて て の ひら の ぬくもり に とけてしまう むすう の しろい てんしたち・・・ あつく おもう の は さいしょ だけ だから・・・ ゆき に なりたい はいいろ の サンタ より・・・

(Chekhov is meddling: Makkuro na yozora kara maiorite te no hira no nukumori ni toketeshimau musuu no shiroi tenshitachi・・・ atsuku omou no ha saisho dake dakara・・・ yuki ni naritai haiiro no santa yori・・・)

I can already say that the usual “From the grey Santa who can’t become completely white…” line has been changed to “From the grey Santa who wants to become snow…”

by the way where did you get the Santa picture from? I hadn’t noticed it until now

The Santa pictures only show up on the same site at December 24 every year (Japanese timezone) and then get remove right after Christmas because they're not relevant to the manga releases.

EDIT: There is a new one now for the corresponding file (843): 円谷君役得ね・・・

don’t know how to translate that

first two kanji are one of these names http://www.jisho.org/words?jap=%E5%86%86%E8%B0%B7&eng=&dict=edict

last two kanji mean something I don’t understand… http://www.jisho.org/words?jap=%E5%BD%B9%E5%BE%97&eng=&dict=edict

Santa:

真っ黒な夜空から舞い降りて手の平の温もりに溶けてしまう無数の白い天使達・・・大丈夫熱く思うのは最初だけだから・・・雪になりたい灰色のサンタより・・・

|

Countless white angels falling from the pitch black night sky, melting on the warmth of the palm of the hand… Don’t worry, the hot feeling is only at the start… From the grey Santa who wants to become snow…

I’m not really sure about the second phrase

EDIT: There is a new one now for the corresponding file (843): 円谷君役得ね・・・

How about "Mr. Tsuburaya's compensation." or "Mr. Tsuburaya's side benefit."

It's referring to him sharing the sweater.

now that I’ve seen the chapter I get it

I guess “Tsuburaya-kun’s compensation” sounds about right; I removed the “Mr.” because the translations so far have always kept the Japanese suffixes intact

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-01-27.JPG
モモの種はもっとヤバイらしいわよ・・・
|
They say that a peach's seed is even more dangerous…

not sure what that’s supposed to mean

I’m still waiting to read the manga to understand the other 2 I didn’t translate

• Upvote 1

I translated an old one that I wasn’t sure how to translate, I still am not sure but it’s better than nothing I guess

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/File:SherrysSoliloquy2012-10-12.JPG
ニンニク料理、私ならペペロンチーノかしら?
||
Food with garlic… I think I’m more of a peperoncino person.

punctuation went out of the window compared to the original because I didn’t know how to put it into English like that

• Upvote 1

I haven’t translated a few of them because I haven’t been reading the manga and I don’t understand them without context

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-03-08.JPG
今年はいい事あるかしら・・・
|
I wonder if something good will happen this year…

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-03-16.JPG
誰だか知らないけど私は大丈夫よね、大吉だもの・・・
|
I don’t know who it is, but I should be fine, right? After all I have excellent luck…

• Upvote 1

been reading the manga, should I change the translation to “great luck”, like the English scanlations call it?

also, I have no idea how to translate the first two of 2013…

ch.844 この司会者ってもしかして・・・ Could this ?chairman? be…?

ch.845 やっぱり左文字だったのね! As I thought, it was Samoji! (what’s it supposed to mean?) or you could take the kanji as two separate words: 左 meaning “left” and 文字 meaning “character” or “letter”

I’m having trouble with this one too:

ch.849 本物の太閤は将棋が弱かったらしいわよ・・・ I’ve heard that real ?taikō? were/was weak at shōgi…

taikō is a weird word, the Wikipedia article of Toyotomi Hideyoshi says something about it, but I haven’t read it properly yet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyotomi_Hideyoshi (search for taikō)

I can’t find ch.848 translated so I’ll wait for that before trying to translate the picture

• Upvote 1

been reading the manga, should I change the translation to “great luck”, like the English scanlations call it?

Either way, it makes sense.

ch.844 この司会者ってもしかして・・・ Could this ?chairman? be…?

Probably a reference to Iron Chef's Chairman. Your translation looks correct.

ch.845 やっぱり左文字だったのね! As I thought, it was Samoji! (what’s it supposed to mean?) or you could take the kanji as two separate words: 左 meaning “left” and 文字 meaning “character” or “letter”

It's this guy.

ch.849 本物の太閤は将棋が弱かったらしいわよ・・・ I’ve heard that real ?taikō? were/was weak at shōgi…

taikō is a weird word, the Wikipedia article of Toyotomi Hideyoshi says something about it, but I haven’t read it properly yet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyotomi_Hideyoshi (search for taikō)

I can’t find ch.848 translated so I’ll wait for that before trying to translate the picture

I think you are on the right track with the history reference. I forgot who Shuukichi Haneda (羽田 秀吉) was named after, but wasn't it a general or something like that?

太閤; 大閤 【たいこう】 (n) (hon) (esp. refers to Toyotomi Hideyoshi) (See 関白・かんぱく) taiko; title for a regent, later for the grand chancellor, also for the father of an Imperial adviser (advisor) who passed the role to his son

• Upvote 1

thanks for the help :) I put those two in the wiki and changed the ending of the other one to “After all I got “great luck”…”

I’m not sure what to do with taikō, maybe the Japanese term could be kept as-is?

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-04-05.JPG
プールバーって最近見かけないわよね・・・
|
It’s not often you see a pool bar these days…

I took the liberty of rewording it a bit because I wasn’t sure how to translate it 1:1

• Upvote 1

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-04-12.JPG
ウエスタンビキニショットもっとちゃんと見せてよ!
|
Show me the western bikini shot better!

yeah uh… I have no idea

ウエスタンビキニショット “western bikini shot” もっとちゃんと見せてよ! “show me better / more properly”

• Upvote 1

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-03-25.JPG

ジョディ先生うかつ過ぎるわよ・・・

|

Jodie-sensei is too careless…

Yeah, I felt like facepalming/headdesking during that moment...

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-03-25.JPG

ジョディ先生うかつ過ぎるわよ・・・

|

Jodie-sensei is too careless…

Absolutely! Jodie didn't have to SAY so much!! Conan's a goner this time.... (Though I know that Gosho won't let that happen! :P)

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-04-19.JPG

小五郎さんマジで気づいてないのね・・・

|

Kogorō-san really hasn’t noticed…

LOL! Kogoro never fails to make me fall off my chair with his ridiculous interpretations! :D

300px-SherrysSoliloquy2013-05-18.JPG

女装癖でもあるのかしら・・・

this is about chapter 858… I think it means something along the lines of “I wonder if he has a habit to cross-dress…”, but I haven’t read the manga in a while so I don’t know if that fits with the chapter, does anybody who read it think it’s right?

as for the other few I haven’t translated, like I said I haven’t been reading the manga and I’m not good enough to translate them without context (maybe even with)

• Upvote 1

出たわね!蹴撃の貴公子!!

I have no idea how to translate this but it’s something like: “It/he/she appeared! Kikōshi’s kick!!” someone reading the manga should understand it, maybe there’s a character called Kikōshi who uses some special kick move or something? 貴公子 can also mean “young noble”, but I thought it was a name instead, and I’m not actually sure 蹴撃 means “kick”

• Upvote 1

出たわね!蹴撃の貴公子!!

I have no idea how to translate this but it’s something like: “It/he/she appeared! Kikōshi’s kick!!” someone reading the manga should understand it, maybe there’s a character called Kikōshi who uses some special kick move or something? 貴公子 can also mean “young noble”, but I thought it was a name instead, and I’m not actually sure 蹴撃 means “kick”

真 is Makoto's given name, and it is used to make a play on words with your aforementioned title of nobility (i.e. "Makoto-koushi" ≈ "young noble" which is translated to prince). Makoto's nickname is "Prince of kicks/offense/however the translators are feeling about martial arts terms today."

"He appeared! The Prince of kicks!!" is probably it.

• Upvote 1