• He's weak at video games
    • He never tells anyone what he is thinking
    • Needs to many gadgets
    • Bratty
    • He thinks he's too mature
    • A playboy (I guess)
    • He lied to everybody
    • Other

Interesting topic. To be honest, I don't mind him singing (It occurs to me that his disability is meant solely for humour), Conan having such confidence in his singing just cracks me up:D I would say the same thing about his 'pervert' side. Although I may just be unexposed to a lot of animes, I think the 'boys are usually perverts' personality is a bit overrused (Yes. I'm a girl.).

However I do hate about Conan is that he prefers to take everything into his own hands, therefore trying to minimise the people that know his secret. I think he does realise how much the lies hurt, but I believe that trait hurts more than anything else!

Personally, I have nothing against Conan. Yes, he has his flaws and everything, but that's awesome (It's also really fun to watch sometimes!). About how he's to arrogant/confident and overpowered, I disagree with that. He is a bit arrogant, but he has a right to be, especially when it comes to Kogoro, and he doesn't overdo it. His overconfidence does lead to bad situations sometimes, but he's most likely used to protecting himself as an athletic teenager, or because as Conan, he finds it hard to have the police constantly backing him up. Plus, the fact he always gets himself in trouble is part of what makes the series exciting! He's not entirely overpowered. After all, he is restricted to being a kid, and even if he has all the random trivia facts, he still has to work to link things together. And wouldn't the series be boring if the main character isn't smarter than you, and he either spends too much time trying to link things together, or if you solve all the cases before them? Anyways, I think he's awesome. Flawed, but awesome.

The fact that Conan barely has any flaws makes him an extremely unrealistic person. That's pretty much the main thing I have against him.

The only other pet peeve I have is the fact that he can also be careless in terms of his identity. There were countless amounts of times where he acted way out of line since he was assuming the role of an adult. I understand that it's hard for him to act as a child since he has an unbelievably high IQ and is much more mature than most people think he is, but it's almost as if he doesn't even care anymore, which has put him in unnecessary tight situations that he could have easily avoided.

However.....

As I've progressed in the series, I've also noticed that people have been much more lax about his actions (especially in the movies). I'm still dumbfounded by the fact that police members listen and even act on his instructions while not even questioning that he's still in primary school. But at the same time, this is also the reason why this show makes me laugh sometimes. It's hilarious seeing a first grader outwitting these adults. It's practically gold.

• Upvote 1

I think I have to disagree when it comes to his realism. In the world of the series a person like Shinichi or Conan can exist. And he does have flaws and I don't think Aoyama created them by accident (at least most of those). 

On Conan:

His skills in logical thinking and his ability to pick up and learn all sorts of information is remarkable and obviously helps to portray him as the brilliant detective he is, but outside of his work he is pretty much a smartass. He thinks he is the person in charge of explaining everything, whether it's an Agasa quiz or some random thing, he also tends to do this in a very bored way which is a contradiction to its very message: Listen, listen, I know this but I will pretend like I don't really care, I'll explain it still though. This is especially predictable when he's around the Detective Boys - as soon as a case comes up he takes up the leadership, and one might argue that he teaches his friends by showing them his deductions but in reality he only shows them the end result when he puts on his typical this-is-how-you-did-it-show to get everybody's recognition. He doesn't share to many details along the line, so no one can really get an idea of his thought process, to him there's no real interest in letting people take part in the journey. He's also very easy in dismissing other people's theories, calling them idiots while pointing out the problems. Of course he tries to balance this, and gives reassurance and praise for good ideas but the very fact that he thinks of himself high enough to be in the position to laud speaks for itself.

Another issue I take is his inconsistency, on the one hand he is worrying about everyone and doesn't want them to be in danger, also doesn't really share his true feelings. On the other hand he follows his over-confident plans that can risk other people's lifes. Remember the time when he drives up to the cabin with Agasa? Or the whole Vermount-harbour thing?

This didn't go as he planned and people were seriously harmed.

I think, overall, Conan is a more likable character than Shinichi. Shinichi is a nice guy, and while he is arrogant when it comes to knowledge and his detective work, I don't consider him to be a mean person, the contrary if anything. But he seems free of flaws: good-looking, good at sports, good at what he does, popular with his preferred sex, no money-problems. So it's not that hard to dislike him, especially since his brilliance is best shown in a field of absolute misery, the detective takes a challenge to solve a riddle, and that riddle only is the objective, in the end the detective gets all the glory for the (granted - hard) work. But behind this glory is so often a dead body, a person who's life was ended, and also another who made a terrible decision. Shinichi, a lot like his great idol Sherlock Holmes, gets into an arrogant state when showing his final deductions, even uses theatrical expressions, is very far a way from a scientist but more the judge and teacher in one. So, Gosho Aoyamas genius lies in the most important plot device: what can you take away from such a person? That final moment, that is. As Conan he doesn't get to show how smart he is. No, he has to hide behind a guy who's not nearly as good as him. This basically took away his self-definition as the great high-school detective, which in turn makes Conan so much more enjoyable because he's reduced to solving cases without the glory in the end, only to have beat the challenge, to have preserved his (very black-and-white-rarely-grayish) view of justice.

The worst thing though is that he lets Ran suffer. She's waiting and waiting for a person that rarely calls, shows up every once in a while for a couple of minutes and leaves again. His love is obvious, obvious also because of how selfish he is, he keeps her around although he doesn't know when or whether he can get back to his old body. In the world of the series I look at him as a progressive person, I don't think Gosho Aoyama writes him as a possessive person but he obviously is, and while he notices it a little bit he's to comforted by being in her heart. Helping her move on seems to confronting for the person who sees dead corpses on a regular basis.

On the series:

There are bunch of things about the series itself that I grew to dislike. At first I should say that I really like it, I've been watching this when I was much younger and just picked it up again a little while ago. I think it's a very nice portrait of a modern day detective story with all sorts of different influences, the mixture is enjoyable. I also like Aoyama and his style. So this comes from a place of absolute fandom:

The world of the series is very contradicting. I don't mean the pill that shrinks people, that's actually a fine creation. I mean stuff like Kaito Kid's (who I love) masks, the way he and others are able to disguise themselves so even their loved ones don't notice the difference. This would be fine if absolute realism would not be an important part of the series: the cases most often have pretty realistic boundaries, clues and problems to them. They are most often explained by actual logical principles. So this is pretty paradox, especially when police offers pull on faces to determine if they are real - so you use a real measurement for evidence for a completely fake thing that's often a very important plot device? I don't know about that.

Speaking of imitations, the whole lookalike-characters I really don't get. Why can certain characters - without much of a disguise (no masks!) - pretend to be others and no one really notices? Weird.

Why are there most often three suspects?

Also, come on, no homosexuals ever?

How come the young male characters all have a sassy, smart and athletic childhood female friend they are in love with?

Why is there this real divide between "smart" people and everyone else? You see this with Conan, Hattori, Haibara and Kid (and some others). They are all intelligent in the same kind of way. While Conan outsmarts them all most of the time, they all seem to be good at deductions, too, they instantly grasp what is behind the thinking. This is a pretty simplistic way of looking at intelligence. And I would wish this would work differently in the series' world. Conan should do a lot more research, he should ask for specific information or even do experiments. Here he parts with Holmes, who actually was often wrong, his charme was his confidence and getting to the right answer eventually.

I'm also not sure what Aoyamas view on gender-issues is. On the one hand he has all sorts of strong female characters but on the other hand they all have to be the same kind of strong, either really intelligent or karate-masters like Ran. To me the best portait of a female character on the whole series has to be Sonoko. She does not try to please everybody, she isn't waiting around like she has no own desires, she's not a pro-fighter and also not trying to score with intelligence. In a way she's the most grounded of all of them. Everyone else is in a very strange place of approval-fishing, waiting, agony and on the search for some kind of reassurance.

And, the list is much longer but this is like the most important thing: Death seems to follow Conan around and noone seems to notice? Before that child was freeloading at the agency were Kogoro and Ran involved in so many sudden murders? And whose parents would let their child play with someone like Conan? Whenever he's around some person's dead. I mean, you can't even have fucking dinner before the next thing happens. This should be handled differently.

Anyways, sorry for wrong expressions, grammatical errors and punctuation. This is not my native language. 

• Upvote 1

Hmmm...

Sometimes he is too aggressive when he met BO, or when he heard something about BO and/or the members

A pervert? Obviously. Hahahahaha  :P

But I hate Conan when he talked too much like mature, but he still in little body  :D

Also, come on, no homosexuals ever?

There actually was (ep 507/508) lol

I can see where you're coming from, and I agree that Conan is a more likable person than Shinichi (lol the irony)

But the reason Conan acts so arrogant is because he has the mind of an adult, yet he is forced to act childlike in order to enforce his fake identity. Honestly, that sounds awful and you can tell that he's sick of it by episode 4. There's no way he can keep it up for over 700 episodes without letting some of his "inner Shinichi" out.

I agree that he can be realistic in terms of his personality, but the amount of knowledge he has on such a wide variety of subjects is completely baffling. This teenager knows a thorough amount of chemistry, biology, physics, foreign language, and history, has the ability of a varsity soccer player (likely even better), is able to disable a bomb, can fly a plane (I was shaking my head at this one), and god knows what else. Even his personality flaws barely make up for his intelligence. There is no teenager on earth who can fit this description. Possibly an adult (still highly unlikely), but certainly not a teenager.

Another issue I take is his inconsistency, on the one hand he is worrying about everyone and doesn't want them to be in danger, also doesn't really share his true feelings. On the other hand he follows his over-confident plans that can risk other people's lifes. Remember the time when he drives up to the cabin with Agasa? Or the whole Vermount-harbour thing?

Conan has a strong sense of justice. He favors saving other peoples' lives over saving his identity. It's understandable, but I still dislike how he can be extremely reckless in these situations.

---

I've also found a lot of things I can criticize about this show, but I've learned to roll with it. Since most of these crimes occur in Tokyo, by now, Tokyo would be close to be one of the most dangerous cities on earth if this show were to be completely realistic.

I like the premise of the show as it is. It adds to the humor, suspense, and the enjoyment of the show. Every show has flaws, and I'm not gonna lie--DC has a lot. However, I still love the show. There has to be a reason why DC has a such big fanbase, right?