Detective Conan World
skyechan

Magic Kaito Special 5 Comparison and Caps (Image Heavy)

Back yet again for another Kid recap!

mktitlecard.jpg

"The Blue Birthday of Fate" ("運命のブルーバースデー"/"Unmei no BURUU BAASUDEE")

Note: Based on "Blue Birthday" from Magic Kaito volume 3, chapter 6.

Overall I'll just get this out of the way that apart from the last 2 minutes or so of the episode, it's an extremely faithful adaptation of the original story, adding only a few extra little details here and there to flesh it out.

bb1.pngbb2.pngbb3.pngbb4.pngbb5.pngbb6.pngbb7.pngbb8.png

The story starts with Kid stealing a ring from a Egyptian exhibit at a museum...and no, the manga doesn't specify what on Earth the ring is he's stealing either.

bb9.pngbb10.pngbb11.pngbb12.pngbb13.png

Kid makes a comment about the police always falling for the dummy blimp trick before taking a better look at the ring he stole and remarks about how his next heist will go just as smoothly when suddenly a nearby pay phone rings.

bb14.pngbb15.pngbb16.pngbb17.pngbb18.png

Kid answers and receives an ominous message from a mysterious man on the other end regarding his heists and a certain jewel.

bb19.pngbb20.pngbb21.png

Meanwhile, Kaito sends out another warning message from Kid saying he'll be stealing India's largest sapphire, The Blue Birthday, for his next heist.

bb22.pngbb23.pngbb24.pngbb25.pngbb26.png

Aoko however, doesn't share in Kaito's amusement, upset that Kid is stealing away her father from her on her birthday. Kaito doesn't help matters by calling Nakamori a lousy detective.

bb27.pngbb28.pngbb29.png

MOP TO THE HEAD!

• Upvote 3

bb30.pngbb31.pngbb32.png

It slowly dawns on Kaito what's going on after Aoko mentions her birthday and decides to tease her a little.

bb33.pngbb34.pngbb35.png

bb36.png

"Aoko, are you sure you're not a guy?"

bb37.png

bb38.pngbb39.pngbb40.pngbb41.pngbb42.png

Aoko isn't amused and says that she won't invite Kaito to her party then. Kaito stops joking around and says he'll come to the party and promises Aoko a magic show, much to her delight.

bb43.pngbb44.pngbb45.png

Kaito asks what he should give her for a present, so Aoko says for him to capture Kaitou Kid.

bb46.pngbb47.pngbb48.pngbb49.pngbb50.pngbb51.png

Joking aside, Aoko wonders aloud to Kaito why Kid bothers stealing since he doesn't seem to have a certain goal in mind. She comes to the conclusion Kid steals because he thinks it's fun and loves to make a mockery of her father.

bb52.pngbb53.pngbb54.pngbb55.pngbb56.pngbb57.pngbb58.png

Kaito, unable to explain the truth to Aoko thinks about this on the way home, remarking that he isn't doing this for fun or to make fun of Nakamori. He won't stop being Kid until he gets some answers.

bb59.pngbb60.pngbb61.pngbb62.pngbb63.pngbb64.png

Aoko's party begins and Keiko asks Aoko where her husband is, much to Aoko's embarrassment.

bb65.pngbb66.pngbb67.pngbb68.pngbb69.png

Meanwhile, Nakamori explains his traps for tonight's heist to the museum director.

bb70.png

Nakamori used Thundershock! It's super effective!!

bb71.pngbb72.pngbb73.pngbb74.pngbb75.pngbb76.pngbb77.png

...Except of course it's not. Kid drills a hole in the ceiling and drops a rubber dummy into the cage. Nakamori and his men freak out, turn off the power and charge at Kid, allowing Kaito to disguise as a policeman and snatch the jewel with his teeth and escape.

bb78.pngbb79.png

Nakamori and the taskforce aren't too worried though since they purposely allowed Kid to steal the real jewel since they attached a transmitter to it in order to find Kid's hideout.

• Upvote 1

bb80.pngbb81.png

Meanwhile, Kid prepares to escape to head for Aoko's party...

bb82.pngbb83.png

...only to have his only means of escape shot at and broken!

bb84.pngbb85.pngbb86.png

"Kaito's really late..."

bb87.pngbb88.pngbb89.png

Kid turns to confront the man who shot him on the rooftop, realizing it's the same voice as the one he heard on the phone the other night.

bb90.png

"It's been a long time, Kaitou Kid. No..."

bb91.pngbb92.png

"Toichi Kuroba!!"

bb93.pngbb94.pngbb95.pngbb96.png

Kid then realizes this man known as Snake is responsible for his father's death.

bb97.pngbb98.pngbb99.pngbb100.pngbb101.pngbb102.png

Failing to hand over the jewel to Snake and having no escape, Snake shoots Kid and he falls off the roof, allowing Snake to pick the jewel up from the floor.

bb103.pngbb104.png

Aoko puts on a happy face as the girls leave the party put becomes depressed of course once the door is shut.

bb105.pngbb106.pngbb107.pngbb108.pngbb109.pngbb110.pngbb111.pngbb112.png

Oh look, we found the plot! Snake's boss explains the tale of the Pandora jewel and how if the jewel is held up to moonlight as a certain comet passes overhead the jewel cries tears and that whoever drinks these tears gains immortality. ...Yes, this is what Magic Kaito's storyline revolves around. ...Yes, we realize this plot has more holes than Swiss cheese.

bb113.pngbb114.pngbb115.pngbb116.pngbb117.pngbb118.pngbb119.pngbb120.pngbb121.png

Boss man is ticked to discover the Blue Birthday in his hand is a fake created by Kid as the real Kid holds the real Blue Birthday up to the moonlight. Boss man and Snake are surprised to see Kid alive. Kid explains that the bullet hit the real jewel he was hiding in his breast pocket.

• Upvote 1

bb122.pngbb123.pngbb124.pngbb125.pngbb126.png

Ticked, Boss man destroys the fake Blue Birthday as Kid throws the real jewel ala a baseball smack into the Boss's face and then explains how the real jewel has a police transmitter on it.

bb127.pngbb128.pngbb129.png

"WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I----", oh sorry, wrong show. Kid then loudly proclaims that he won't stop until he finds Pandora before Snake and the others do and destroys it.

bb130.pngbb131.pngbb132.png

The police arrive, Kid and the others split. Nakamori recovers the real jewel. Woo.

bb133.png

"LET'S PARTY!" = "LET'S GET DRUNK!!"

bb134.pngbb135.pngbb136.pngbb137.pngbb138.pngbb139.png

Realizing he only has a few minutes before midnight and the end of Aoko's birthday, Kaito, still dressed in his Kid outfit, scrambles around the city before getting a bit of inspiration while looking at buildings.

bb140.pngbb141.pngbb142.pngbb143.pngbb144.pngbb145.png

Kaito calls Aoko only to have her, of course, shout at him and cry from frustration and worry.

bb146.pngbb147.pngbb148.png

Luckily, Kaito manages to convince Aoko to look outside the window.

bb149.pngbb150.pngbb151.pngbb152.pngbb153.pngbb154.pngbb155.pngbb156.pngbb157.pngbb158.png

Allowing Kaito to give Aoko a really cool one-of-a-kind magic show/birthday present. ...That wakes up the whole neighborhood. ...Including a certain little detective.

Meanwhile...

bb159.pngbb160.pngbb161.pngbb162.pngbb163.png

"Blue Birthday...Isn't someone's birthday today...?"

Now for the completely original section of this episode and it's a doozy. Ladies and gentlemen, it looks like we're heading for an anime original plot!

bb165.pngbb166.pngbb167.pngbb168.pngbb169.png

Snake's boss seems to be answering to a bigger boss judging from what I'm assuming is an apology video chat for screwing up royally. MK-Anokata seems to be based somewhere in America (anyone recognize the skyline? Chicago or New York maybe?) and makes a note to contact another member known as Spider, hinted at being the world famous illusionist, Guner von Goldberg II. (EDIT: Probably an misspelling and should be "Günter" (ギュンター = GYUNTAA) based on the Japanese subtitles on the screen.)

And so ends yet another Kid special. Until next time!

bb164.png

• Upvote 2

It looks so exciting! Do you have an estimate for the English release date? (I'd give you a rep, but I'm on a mobile device! D: Sorry! I'll give you three later if I remember. :3)

It looks so exciting! Do you have an estimate for the English release date? (I'd give you a rep, but I'm on a mobile device! D: Sorry! I'll give you three later if I remember. :3)

Not a clue! I don't work on the DCTP staff so couldn't possibly begin to tell ya. Just keep crossing your fingers!

Just a random thought... Who else noticed Snake held the gun in his right hand for this episode, but in the manga he used his left hand? Snake uses his right hand later on in the manga series, so I'm guessing the left handed shot was a mistake. This episode confirms that I guess.

And thank god for that extra little ending he included!

Spider is giving me a major hype already (even though it'll be a long time until we can get another anime original to actually focus on this newly established member). Luckily, unlike Rose in OVA 4, there is a good chance Spider will actually advance the story plot about the Organization. We haven't had that in years! But I'm not sure if Gosho will just make anime originals and incorporate Spider or somehow throw Spider in the manga with a new chapter? Whatever happens, I'm excited for it!

Just a random thought... Who else noticed Snake held the gun in his right hand for this episode, but in the manga he used his left hand? Snake uses his right hand later on in the manga series, so I'm guessing the left handed shot was a mistake. This episode confirms that I guess.

Spider is giving me a major hype already (even though it'll be a long time until we can get another anime original to actually focus on this newly established member). Luckily, unlike Rose in OVA 4, there is a good chance Spider will actually advance the story plot about the Organization. We haven't had that in years! But I'm not sure if Gosho will just make anime originals and incorporate Spider or somehow throw Spider in the manga with a new chapter? Whatever happens, I'm excited for it!

DITTO!! that had me wondering too and excited.

Sure it wasn't the manga being flipped for an English scanlation?

You probably had been looking at a flipped translation. Looking at my Japanese volume Snake is definitely using his right-hand.

You probably had been looking at a flipped translation. Looking at my Japanese volume Snake is definitely using his right-hand.

Hang on, yes, my bad. Thanks for the clear up!

Considering the code names for the MKO are Snake and Spider who else sees that both of those animals can sometimes contain poisonous venom? Though "spider" could refer to the alcohol drink mix (BO?), the venom connection seems to be really strong. How much do you want to bet the next revealed member will be code named Scorpion?