Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
la vanille

Thoughts on OVA 9

I think OVA 9's not supposed to be out until the 27th, but leaks have been released all over the net around 2 weeks or so ago. I couldn't help myself and watched it unsubbed on YouTube the day after it was leaked. XD

Has anyone else watched it? If so, what are your thoughts about it?

Talk about worst nightmare ever. Having to grow up into a teenager again, redoing elementary school gruntwork, establishing a different life and identity, cutting relations with the people he knew (what I mean by this is that he had to establish himself in a different role in their lives), abandoning his childhood friend, Ayumi still having a crush on him (it is still 10 years of difference in age, you know), and an overall blow to his ego (and poor Ai having similar problems, including guilt in having been the cause of the problem)... It just sucks all around. And poor attention deficient Shinichi, Hattori overran his spotlight. Overall, I thought it was an interesting examination of the future if Shinichi and Ai didn't succeed in getting the cure. Although the part of Ran wating that long was unrealistic, but hey, it was a dream, which in part was supposed to show Shinichi's fears and desire. Plus, dreams have a knack for being incredibly inconsistent. What I am thinking of, though, is that if he found out he could never go back as Shinichi, he would probably find a way to make others think he is dead, or something like that because in his thought, it would be selfish of him to make everyone wait forever or reveal his ID just so that the syndicate can get them. Other than that, I wonder how things would be with people who knows his identity: Agasa, Hattori, and his parents, when they learn that he could never go back to his old self again.

Talk about worst nightmare ever.

My thoughts exactly. It's a pretty sad look on what could happen. I found it to be so depressing even if it was just a mere dream and everything in the OVA ended happily.

As to the people who knew about his real identity, I think they'd be saddened by the realization that he'd remain in his younger self, especially Agasa, who knew about him being Conan first and foremost. Hattori has always seemed to be sympathetic of Shinichi's dilemma, so I know it'd be such a shame for him, since he saw Shinichi more as a partner and friend rather than a rival, and of course he'd want to rise up with Shinichi in the detective sphere of crime investigation. As for the Kudo's, I think they'd feel sorry for their son, but they offered Shinichi a new start in America before, right?

It's an interesting OVA, definitely. It was truly fantastic to see the Detective Boys grow up and Sonoko sporting a kind of different hairstyle. I would hope that Ran would stop waiting for Shinichi after ten years, but yeah...her loyalty and faith in Shinichi is a bit over the top. :|

agree. the worst nightmare ever.!

i found the last scene in the ova a lil funny.. the scene where conan seemed to be a lil jelous to araide-sensei when he praised ran's cooking.. well, i understand him.. because it's araide-sensei who's wanting ran to be married to him in his "nightmare".. can't blame him for being jelous for such a small thing..

i just watched and it was sad! :lol:

i totally agree with you guys about it being his worst nightmare and that Ran probably wouldn't have waited that long.

i found the last scene in the ova a lil funny.. the scene where conan seemed to be a lil jelous to araide-sensei when he praised ran's cooking..

hahaha

i hope Ai finds a cure soon so this nightmare won't become real!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I thought it was interesting that they addressed the issue of whether or not they grow in their bodies. Even if it was a dream. The idea of starting over isn't such a terrible thing. I wouldn't mind starting over, but Shinichi has a good life so starting over kind of sucks for him. Though I don't doubt that Ran would wait forever for Shinichi she seems like she would do that. In any case I'd like to see Shinichi hunt the men in black as a damn teenager but that's a fool's dream. I liked OVA 9 except for the lack of mysteries that kind of blew.

Yeah!! me too... it's the worst nightmare!! wargh!! i hope it don't happent in last episode.... i admit that i shock when i see conan has grown up with his friends in high school ... hahaha... i thought it was shinichi....hahaha... but the feeling scene was ran said : "i could wait for him for another 10 years".. wargh... i'm tears heard her say like...

this one was soo awesome! Poor Conan, getting to become a Shinichi but not really Shinichi, according to all his former classmates. It's sad on how Ran waited and is willing to continue waiting for him but it just makes their story sweeter.

btw, was anyone else like surprised on how Genta, Mitsuhiki, and Ayumi turned out?

plus, Shinichi looked weird in Conan's glasses....just saying. ^^

First and foremost, this is a great OVA! I can't deny the fact that there are some parts that are unrealistic but despite that, it was actually the thing that made the romance great. Pointing out why this is a great OVA, it makes you ask yourself: Why Conan is doing this? Then your mind shows up images about Conan from how it started towards his adventure in retrieving his body back.

So, what I thought that were unrealistic are:

1) Who would freaking believe that the Black Organization which has Vermouth that knows Conan's true identity, not find him yet? I mean, even if I had a debt deep in my heart, it probably wouldn't last that long. Besides, there may be orders from the Boss to search for it, knowing Gin's character.

2) Is Ran and the other people that were related to Shinichi that has seen his face that stupid not to know that he is Shinichi, the Detective of the East? Surely, that's kind of creepy not knowing someone by appearance.

3) Is Ran really that stupid, compared to the others, after confessing in the library that he is Shinichi with his feelings? Ran didn't even believe Conan that he is Shinichi (although I doubt that)

4) I guess the romance stuff was too much. If I were Shinichi telling my childhood friend who eventually ended up with a relationship, I would explain things to her immediately instead of saying "I'm Shinichi, Ran," or "I'm not like him... I am him!" I'd say that but immediately follow it with an explanation.

Those were the details that I seem to have found out. xD

It may sound kind of offensive of me talking like that but remember, this is a great OVA and probably the greatest "romance stuff" in the series (excluding the said details).

Oh, and I was expecting it to be a little bit longer to know what Ran would end up saying about him saying that he is Shinichi... It's still stuck into my mind. It's as though I was watching it within 5 minutes. Dx

Surely, I can tell you that this is the greatest time-killer episode (20+-minute episode)!

It was the most outstanding OVA I watched but it was a NIGHTMARE!!!.When I watched it I was with my friend,when the part when Shinichi saw Ran and the conversation continued,a tear dropped from my eye(honest!)when I was so focused to the OVA my friend suddenly touched me and said"hand me a tissue box" in a wierd voice,when I looked around I saw her CRYING!!! when the OVA was finished,I searched everywhere on the internet to download it,when I found my last site(coz I was so tired from searching)I downloaded it!.Now I can watch it everytime :lol:

It was the most outstanding OVA I watched but it was a NIGHTMARE!!!.When I watched it I was with my friend,when the part when Shinichi saw Ran and the conversation continued,a tear dropped from my eye(honest!)when I was so focused to the OVA my friend suddenly touched me and said"hand me a tissue box" in a wierd voice,when I looked around I saw her CRYING!!! when the OVA was finished,I searched everywhere on the internet to download it,when I found my last site(coz I was so tired from searching)I downloaded it!.Now I can watch it everytime :lol:

oh yeah i remember that the best OVA ever!!!! i kinda laughed i little bit too.. and CRIED mostly.... i felt sorry for Shinichi during the confrontation when Ran did not believe Conan was Shinichi ..

This OVA was really captivating and was a good overview of another future Shinichi must face if things don't go as expected. But if that really happened, I'm betting on that Shinichi would've found a better ending, as in, he would have told Ran a bit earlier of his true identity and maybe even start living up as an elementary school detective, outsmarting the old "Shinichi"! It was also amazing to see how much of an influence Conan was to Ayumi, Mitsuhiko and Genta (they even started a Detective Club in High School) and even to the cold-hearted Haibara who had become a real part of the group in the OVA.

I hope Conan would quit with the stungun sometime soon though.. Lets hope he won't continue confusing the poor Mori Kogoro up til High School! :P

This was my favorite OVA. It was really sad when Ran told Conan/Shinichi that she could wait for another ten years, and when Conan tried to tell her that he was Shinichi. That was a horrible nightmare, but it could also actually come true. Maybe it motivated Conan a bit more because he didn't want that to happen. However, I think that Ran would notice how Conan looks just like Shinichi, wouldn't she?

This OVA basickly showed the possiblty of how DC could end if Conan and Ai never got back their old bodies back again. It's sad how Ran waited that long and sorta unrelastic unless she really loved Shinchi a lot. And i mean a lot a lot. Still. It would be anybodys nightmare to repeat elementary and high school. I know that would be my personal hell nightmare. Still the ova was pretty good and i watched it raw too xD.

so sad both for shinichi and ran

if i was ran, i doubt i could do something like that and if shinichi told ran all the things that had happened to him, also about the aptx, i'll willingly take the drug despite the risks, corny much? haha

I'm not too big on the ShinRan stuff (as you can tell), but I have to say this was the best OVA as most of you already said. I actually wouldn't mind if Shinichi and Ran got together. I don't know... I might convert to being a ShinRan...

When I watched the OVA, I don't know if I should be happy or sad. I also felt so sorry for Shinichi. And almost cried. Haha. I don't want this to happen to Shinichi and Ran. Really the worst nightmare ever. o-o

3) Is Ran really that stupid, compared to the others, after confessing in the library that he is Shinichi with his feelings? Ran didn't even believe Conan that he is Shinichi (although I doubt that)

I think Ran didn't believe him, like she said "Thank you for saying that and trying to make me feel better." It didn't imply something that she believed in him already.

Also, it's Shinichi/Conan's fault whenever Ran's already suspicious of his identity. Because he fools her everytime it happens, making Ran believe that's impossible too. That's why it's not just so easy to believe in what he's saying.

I'm not too big on the ShinRan stuff (as you can tell), but I have to say this was the best OVA as most of you already said. I actually wouldn't mind if Shinichi and Ran got together. I don't know... I might convert to being a ShinRan...

Go! Come with us~ Hahaha :D

ova 9 was the BEST ova that ever shattered my rather dense mind but it was a total nightmare!

i could never imagine myself having to go through such difficult problem but now i know that even Shinichi/Conan can have weaknesses. boy, was he brave enough to endure such strong emotional pain for the sake of his loved ones... :-(

even if it was just a dream. dreams do have a strong influence in each person O.o

i don't want to be the ending like that.. i'll go crazy!! i think i won't talk for a day or week if DC ever ends like that..

but i'm still glad that it was just a dream.....

and poor ran.. still waiting for shinichi..

after watching ova 9... i started thinking " what if ran knew accidentally that conan/shinichi is the same?.. will they get married.. right away...?"

hahah... i thought of that for almost a day :razz:

The way Ran reacted to Conan's self-disclosure in this OVA reminds me of a saying, "A rumor repeated a thousand times will become truth." In this case, because Ran's suspicious of Conan's true identity were repeatedly denied and "explained away," it had become firmly established in her mind that Shinichi & Conan were two different people.

On the other hand, Ran's willingness to wait (indefinitely?) for Shinichi reminds me of a film called The Myth, where the female protagonist was willing to wait millenia for the person she truly loves - this is even exemplified in a song titled "Endless Love" by Jackie Chan & Kim Hee Sun, the two main actors of that movie. I wish I could produce a music video featuring Shinichi & Ran with "Endless Love" playing in the background, because I think Shinichi & Ran's story would probably fit that song very well.

I was thinking of what will happen next if Conan didn't wake up from that nightmare...I mean what will happen next after that 'heart attack'.. Will Shinichi die? Or the aptx takes off its effect and he become old..like that..