Detective Conan World
Scar Akai

Time passing in Detective Conan

Time ideally does not change in detective conan. Kind of like other shows like simpsons. People are still the same age despite the show been around for years. So people who watched detective conan  since 1996 until now aged 18 years yet conan is still the same age and Ran keeps on waiting.... can you imaging if conan and Ran aged 18 years? lol

^ OVA9 was the closest I ever got on that!

Apparently it's a 'floating timeline'. Although I do recall Conan and Heiji talking about cases they have solved in the previous month in episode 490. Conan said he had solved 7 cases that month...

And if we were to calculate that:

So let's assume that Conan solved an average of 7 cases per month. There are approximately 700 cases in DC, so 700 divided by 7 is 100. That means 100 months have passed. Convert that into years and we get 8 years and 4 months. 

If the above calculations are correct, 8 years and 4 months have passed since Shinichi changed into Conan, so Conan should actually be 15 years old by now (I'm going by the anime age).

They trapped in time, although time evolves around them cause technology evolves in DC...I think it,s fine this way, what really "grows" is knowledge, for example Conan's knowledge about the BO. The only times we see influence of timing is in flashbacks and maybe an epilogue in final :-)

A lot of animes and mangas usually go through this. I don't really enjoy animes and mangas where the characters age and stuff, it's a bit weird to me.

Pokémon is the same way. In the first season, Ash is like 10, and then a few seasons later he's like 11, then goes back to 10 somehow in the next season. And he's still 10 even in the X & Y series.

Most Ongoing series don't usually bother with aging and stuff, I guess. It's best just to leave it the way things are. And besides the ages don't bother me at all. I like it this way. xD (But yeah, I was thinking the same thing with both Detective Conan and Pokémon. xD!)

Oh Yeah, what about OVA 9? I've never watched the whole thing yet, but it dealt with the future and stuff.

Well it would be nice if at least a year or a year and half past in DC so we can see how the progress of APTX 4869. it's just that how can Haibara complete the antidote when the drug that she made was researched for half a century and on top of that It wasn't even complete. There should be a struggle along the lines of creating it since she doesn't even have a research team to do it. Creating the Antidote should take long years too even if it's a prototype. She makes a prototype within around the 6 months or more but less than a year. Then it should be at least revealed what APTX is meant for. It would make sense that the antidote prototype was at least created after a year or more passed but then that will be sad since those kinds of thing are not easy.

it's also a curiosity if they are actually growing again if a year or more months passed and how emotions and attitudes of the characters developed.

DC needs to be where it needs to be. Time shall not pass in DC by much since if it happens, the plot will completely be messed up. Also you gotta understand that if Conan ages, does his true form also age? That would be an absolute disaster and imagine 3 years has passed and finally he found the cure. What will be his age when he turns back to shinichi? Will he still be 17 or he skips 18-19 and is already 20?