Detective Conan World
kEa-cHiI

Why do some people not like Ran?

Ummm.... have you watched the London arc? Her crying near the Big Ben tower was one of the most emotional scenes I've seen of her. She has bottled up her feelings for so long that, it may seem that she doesn't care sometimes, but in a matter of fact, she does. She has actually been progressively more emotional every time she has seen Shinichi (Diplomat case to Desperate Revival to Shinichi's True Face, Ran's Tears to the London Arc). So not sure what you meant there.

Yes, of course I have read, and also watched that case. But I hardly feel her emotions like I did in the earlier arcs. If you want me to explain exactly why, I cannot answer because it is just my personal feeling.

Well, that's a first: not liking Ran for her aggressiveness. I think her fierceness in karate cancels out the "innocent, goody two-shoes" aspect of Ran that we tend to see most of the time. And not to mention, she only misused her karate like two times (if I recall). As for the Okiya situation, do you blame her for attacking a potentially bad person who happened to be in Shinichi's house? She wouldn't ask "Why who are you sir and what brought you here?" Using her karate skills is better safe than sorry.

Of course she has only done it like 2 times, but the thing is that she didn't actually learn anything. And she did ask "Who are you ?" just like 1 second before she attacked Okiya (I don't know about the anime version, but if you read the manga, you'll find that line). She didn't let him finishes his explanation though... What if he was actually a friend of Shinichi's parents who borrowed there house ?

Yes, of course I have read, and also watched that case. But I hardly feel her emotions like I did in the earlier arcs. If you want me to explain exactly why, I cannot answer because it is just my personal feeling.

Then I guess I'll never know what point you're trying to get at. :mellow:

Of course she has only done it like 2 times, but the thing is that she didn't actually learn anything. And she did ask "Who are you ?" just like 1 second before she attacked Okiya (I don't know about the anime version, but if you read the manga, you'll find that line). She didn't let him finishes his explanation though... What if he was actually a friend of Shinichi's parents who borrowed there house ?

It's nothing more than a simple misunderstanding. That shouldn't be the defining line of whether or not someone dislikes a person. It's not like her intentions were to be mean to Okiya, but rather to relieve Shinichi's home from danger. But hey, if it's your personal feeling, then it's your personal feeling...

But they're certainly the most vocal anti-Ran supporters, are they not?

Yup, because she's a threat to their beloved haibara, however, you can't apply a blanket statement like MM and say that only aicons don't like her, that's absurd

My problem with Ran, is the same problem I have with the majority of the cast of DC... They are cookie-cutout characters that we have seen a million times before. Now that wouldn't be bad if they developed some and improved changed and were dynamic, but they aren't. They are the same characters that were there in the first episode/file. The only characters that seem to be dynamic at all are the side characters. Now I don't mean side characters that barely show up (I would love to see Gosho give them some love and development) I mean the regularly occurring characters. Megure is the only one I sort of understand, and even he had some light shown on his past development, he is just locked into his current state and nothing has happened to him to change him in any way.

Going through the characters... Ran has won competitions, lost her BF and almost never sees or hears from him, seen countless bodies, thought to have seen and been proven wrong about ghosts, nearly been killed SEVERAL times... THESE ARE ALL LIFE CHANGING EVENTS! And not one has affected her in the slightest. She is the same person she was all the way back in the beginning. Shinichi was also nearly killed SEVERAL times (and was even shot due to his OWN carelessness), was shrunk in one of those aforementioned close calls, seen his GF in ways he probably never imagined he would see her, had to break the law in quite creative ways in order to maintain his ability to be a detective, and has had life experiences that most people can only dream of being the son of a wealthy author and actress. Sonoko is the same as Ran without the superstition and karate (though her BF seems to communicate more).

You know I could go on, but I'll stop there... I mean really... I don't hate them because of any character affiliation I have, but because they have NEVER CHANGED! That is NOT good character writing. Gosho seems really adept at writing mysteries, but can't write characters to save his life. Characters that don't develop and are not dynamic get really boring REALLY fast. I started hating the main cast of DC pretty quickly (within 100 episodes, because I have seen series that were 1/10th of that that developed characters AMAZINGLY and there is no excuse for no development within 100 eps let alone over 600).

But yeah... that is why I hate them. And is why I have nearly dropped this series a dozen times. If it wasn't for the mysteries and the great community, I'd have dropped it long ago.

And for the record, my enjoyment of Ai, and my supporting of ShinShi have nothing to do with my hatred of Ran or the rest of the main cast. I personally find it sad that characters we don't see or are exposed to as often (Satou, Takagi, Shiratori, Kobayashi, Ai, and even Mitsu) have developed their characters further than the titular and main characters have in a fraction of the time. It is really inexcusable and Gosho needs to correct this. Hell, doing so might even improve the love story that ShinRan's seem to love so much, because development like that would lead to CONFLICT more than the usual "OMG CONAN IS SHINICHI" case that could in theory BRING THEM CLOSER if done right. Gosho sort of did that in London, but that took him 600 episodes and over 700 files to do! And he quickly switched focus and DIDN'T COMPLETE THE EMOTIONAL ARC OF THE TWO CHARACTERS! It is almost like it NEVER HAPPENED!

Development of characters and non-mystery related stories is one of the MAJOR pitfalls of DC. If Gosho started dropping the unnecessary and focused only on the mystery like SACD did, I'd have no problems because then character development would not be as paramount. Seeing as he won't do that, it annoys me and gives me reason to hate his characters.

</rant>

Apologies for the jumping around with thought process too....

Edit: I should note, that is why it took so long to actually post here... I couldn't very well type that on my phone. Also, I hope I satisfied the requirements needed to dislike or hate a character so that my post doesn't get taken apart by pro-Ran (or any other character I mentioned in there or anti-[insert character I spoke more highly of here]) Because I really feel legitimate in my dislike/hate of these characters. *Looks at AJ* Seriously... I could go on with superficial reasons on why not to like her like others have done, but all that is pointless because what I ranted about here is really the main reason why I dislike her.

• Upvote 8

My problem with Ran, is the same problem I have with the majority of the cast of DC... They are cookie-cutout characters that we have seen a million times before. Now that wouldn't be bad if they developed some and improved changed and were dynamic, but they aren't. They are the same characters that were there in the first episode/file. The only characters that seem to be dynamic at all are the side characters. Now I don't mean side characters that barely show up (I would love to see Gosho give them some love and development) I mean the regularly occurring characters. Megure is the only one I sort of understand, and even he had some light shown on his past development, he is just locked into his current state and nothing has happened to him to change him in any way.

Going through the characters... Ran has won competitions, lost her BF and almost never sees or hears from him, seen countless bodies, thought to have seen and been proven wrong about ghosts, nearly been killed SEVERAL times... THESE ARE ALL LIFE CHANGING EVENTS! And not one has affected her in the slightest. She is the same person she was all the way back in the beginning. Shinichi was also nearly killed SEVERAL times (and was even shot due to his OWN carelessness), was shrunk in one of those aforementioned close calls, seen his GF in ways he probably never imagined he would see her, had to break the law in quite creative ways in order to maintain his ability to be a detective, and has had life experiences that most people can only dream of being the son of a wealthy author and actress. Sonoko is the same as Ran without the superstition and karate (though her BF seems to communicate more).

You know I could go on, but I'll stop there... I mean really... I don't hate them because of any character affiliation I have, but because they have NEVER CHANGED! That is NOT good character writing. Gosho seems really adept at writing mysteries, but can't write characters to save his life. Characters that don't develop and are not dynamic get really boring REALLY fast. I started hating the main cast of DC pretty quickly (within 100 episodes, because I have seen series that were 1/10th of that that developed characters AMAZINGLY and there is no excuse for no development within 100 eps let alone over 600).

But yeah... that is why I hate them. And is why I have nearly dropped this series a dozen times. If it wasn't for the mysteries and the great community, I'd have dropped it long ago.

And for the record, my enjoyment of Ai, and my supporting of ShinShi have nothing to do with my hatred of Ran or the rest of the main cast. I personally find it sad that characters we don't see or are exposed to as often (Satou, Takagi, Shiratori, Kobayashi, Ai, and even Mitsu) have developed their characters further than the titular and main characters have in a fraction of the time. It is really inexcusable and Gosho needs to correct this. Hell, doing so might even improve the love story that ShinRan's seem to love so much, because development like that would lead to CONFLICT more than the usual "OMG CONAN IS SHINICHI" case that could in theory BRING THEM CLOSER if done right. Gosho sort of did that in London, but that took him 600 episodes and over 700 files to do! And he quickly switched focus and DIDN'T COMPLETE THE EMOTIONAL ARC OF THE TWO CHARACTERS! It is almost like it NEVER HAPPENED!

Development of characters and non-mystery related stories is one of the MAJOR pitfalls of DC. If Gosho started dropping the unnecessary and focused only on the mystery like SACD did, I'd have no problems because then character development would not be as paramount. Seeing as he won't do that, it annoys me and gives me reason to hate his characters.

</rant>

Apologies for the jumping around with thought process too....

My my! I pity your keyboard.

On topic - yes, i second 90% of Kyuu's reasoning

Don't hate the character, and am infact a Shin/Ran fan. But to respond with some criticism and comments.

I think this is less "why don't some people like Ran" and more of "why don't some people like a certain type of female character", because honestly she shares traits with a LOT of fictional female characters. A lot of the Ran hate is actually kind of silly, but I'll go over it later today.

As Kyuu pretty much points out, it's more to do with the fact that she's had these traits for over 600 episodes/700 files.

Granted I'm critical of token female characters/love interests (as much as Ran has had some adequate stories, she still gives that feeling off to me), I find it forgiving if the series in question is shorter and said character doesn't appear frequently. But again Ran appears frequently, and both anime & manga are really long.

Among other reason (which I will post here later this evening: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/2511-kudo-and-ran/page__st__20) I think having Ran find out the secret would actually remedy the problem by adding her to the list of people who keep the secret.

The thing is, that obsessive crap (which I think is a bit odd) is used by a good portion of the anime fandom. Not that it makes it any better, but for every manga/anime/character you'll have these hysterical obsessed and usually intolerant people who mainly stick to saying : 'This or this is the best manga/anime/character everrrrrrr' or 'so so so epicccccccccccc' or 'your opinion sucks if you disagree'. You meet people like that in all fandoms : manga, anime, music, movies, tv shows etc...

Too true. I mean heck you have some fans who act like anime and manga are the end all/be all of entertainment, but if I let their obsessiveness get to me, I wouldn't be following Case Closed/Detective Conan today.

Hmm... I like cookie-cut characters. XD It's just comforting if you know what I mean. I do agree with what Kyuu said, but... I couldn't help but scream in excitement while watching/reading London Arc. (and squealing in excitement the countless times re-reading/re-watching). I'm not really in it for the character development I can see, I'm in it for what I imagine. When I read a story, I usually (kind of accidentally) apply traits from other stories I've read and kind of press them onto someone because they're so similar. (like what Kyuu said, we've seen all these characters countless times before.) That's just me being weird (as usual) but I can't really find much to dislike about cookie-cut characters. (for some reason... All the side characters are really starting to irk me. Mainly because they're the reason the manga is all about cases that don't relate to the actual storyline... Give me the boring, predictable, yet utterly adorable ShinRan/BO arc (BO is not adorable. It is awesome and epic.) any day.) That's my opinion. :P

• Upvote 1

I am with Kyuu.... but another(not serious) thing about Ran is that she is a bloody Rhino(re: hairstyle). LOL Who would like to see a RHino who can walk on two legs and bash the hell out of you? JK! No offence, Ran fans!

I am with Kyuu.... but another(not serious) thing about Ran is that she is a bloody Rhino(re: hairstyle). LOL Who would like to see a RHino who can walk on two legs and bash the hell out of you? JK! No offence, Ran fans!

ran is the last unicorn

heiji is the rhino

This is in the wrong section, but I'll reply anyway

I don't like ran for a few reasons, first of all, I find her character, her "angel" image, to be annoying,I can't stand a character with such a generic image

Secondly, she's not directly involved in the main BO plot, making her irrelevant

Shinran, and romance in genreal in DC, bores me, and she's half of that

She cries too much, someone get that girl a box of tissues

Gosho makes her karate too strong, seriously, bending a street pole?

She's just aoko with terrible hair

her fans are amazingly annoying, like, they encompass everything that i hate about anime fandom, they even go out and make ran mouri facebook pages, and it's amazingly annoying to a casual fan when I see obsessive crap like that

and of course, she's been fooled throughout the entire series by a pair of freakin glasses

however, as i've said before, i think her being killed off, and watching conan go through a downward spiral, would be amazing

I'll second that! I totally agree! :D

Then why not crossbreed them then? LOL

LOL. :lol: If there is a crossbreed of unicorns and rhinos, what are they gonna be called? Uniceros??? Or Rhicorn? Or something like that. :P

This is in the wrong section, but I'll reply anyway

I don't like ran for a few reasons, first of all, I find her character, her "angel" image, to be annoying,I can't stand a character with such a generic image

Secondly, she's not directly involved in the main BO plot, making her irrelevant

Shinran, and romance in genreal in DC, bores me, and she's half of that

She cries too much, someone get that girl a box of tissues

Gosho makes her karate too strong, seriously, bending a street pole?

She's just aoko with terrible hair

her fans are amazingly annoying, like, they encompass everything that i hate about anime fandom, they even go out and make ran mouri facebook pages, and it's amazingly annoying to a casual fan when I see obsessive crap like that

and of course, she's been fooled throughout the entire series by a pair of freakin glasses

however, as i've said before, i think her being killed off, and watching conan go through a downward spiral, would be amazing

^ This. This SOOOOOOOOOO much. Sorry Ran fans- it's true.

Why do people not like Ran?

Because those who don't like Ran only focus on the her drawbacks (though human nature in general are always more attentive towards the negatives). If someone ONLY sees Ran as an irrelevant, emotional, and annoying girl with a horn-like bang, then he or she is simply ignorant because in reality, her good qualities outshine her bad ones. For example, Ran is selfless, humble, kind, strong-willed, a great cook, and a kick-ass girl (with a horn-like bang). I don't know about you, but those qualities scream "likeable" to me.

That's the thing- there are no negative things to focus on. She's a MARY-SUE. She has no "official" flaws. People hate her because Gosho made her too perfect. The only flaws people can find can be argued and messed with and formed in so many ways. She doesn't have Haibara's flaw of not trusting people, Heiji's hotheadedness, Ayumi's jealousy issues, Kaito's lack of modesty and fear of fish, Genta's food addiction, Mitsuhiko's insecurity, Kazuha's lack of logic (jumping to conclusions) and possessiveness, or her dad's alcohol problem (though it would be HILARIOUS to see that that was her hidden flaw all along- she hates her father drinking because then SHE wants a drink! XD lol). She's basically a fan-character that was made official.

Mary-sue's annoy people- especially when they're one of the protagonists.

It's not that they focus on the negative things- it's that there isn't anything negative THERE!

One reason that's definitely true is that the "some" you're talking about are AiCons.

While it is most likely that if you support AiCon you hate Ran, that's not true.

I'm an AyuCon, and I had no problem with Ran but now, 600 episodes and 800 files later, when she STILL hasn't revealed ANY flaws, I strongly VERY VERY VERY STRONGLY dislike her and a huge HUGE portion of her fans.

If she had been revealed to have any of the flaws above then more than HALF of the people who hate her now would be GONE.

what i dont like about her is taht shes been to enought crime scenes to know the drill but she continues to cry and scream

shes scared of "monsters" and such like that

Her hair is completely messed up

and she has a obsession with Shinichi

......i would be scared of her not fictional creatures

^ why? shinichi has ran obsession too?! tsk tsk..why people always notice ran obsession of shinichi...taku!!

ran haters! i have a gift for you this christmas!

scare.jpgmeri kurisumasu! :D

• Upvote 1

I think this is less "why don't some people like Ran" and more of "why don't some people like a certain type of female character", because honestly she shares traits with a LOT of fictional female characters. A lot of the Ran hate is actually kind of silly, but I'll go over it later today.

True, true! I think she does share traits with a lot of other characters.

Ran is one of my favorite characters XD

• Upvote 1

^ why? shinichi has ran obsession too?! tsk tsk..why people always notice ran obsession of shinichi...taku!!

ran haters! i have a gift for you this christmas!

scare.jpgmeri kurisumasu! :D

Kyuu > Ran. She would lose in a fight against me. And I still don't like her for reasons previously stated.

^ This. This SOOOOOOOOOO much. Sorry Ran fans- it's true.

That's the thing- there are no negative things to focus on. She's a MARY-SUE. She has no "official" flaws. People hate her because Gosho made her too perfect. The only flaws people can find can be argued and messed with and formed in so many ways. She doesn't have Haibara's flaw of not trusting people, Heiji's hotheadedness, Ayumi's jealousy issues, Kaito's lack of modesty and fear of fish, Genta's food addiction, Mitsuhiko's insecurity, Kazuha's lack of logic (jumping to conclusions) and possessiveness, or her dad's alcohol problem (though it would be HILARIOUS to see that that was her hidden flaw all along- she hates her father drinking because then SHE wants a drink! XD lol). She's basically a fan-character that was made official.

Mary-sue's annoy people- especially when they're one of the protagonists.

It's not that they focus on the negative things- it's that there isn't anything negative THERE!

While it is most likely that if you support AiCon you hate Ran, that's not true.

I'm an AyuCon, and I had no problem with Ran but now, 600 episodes and 800 files later, when she STILL hasn't revealed ANY flaws, I strongly VERY VERY VERY STRONGLY dislike her and a huge HUGE portion of her fans.

If she had been revealed to have any of the flaws above then more than HALF of the people who hate her now would be GONE.

Ok. It's one thing to say that Ran is a "perfect" girl with no flaws, and it's another thing to completely agree with what parkur previously stated, which included a PLETHORA of Ran's flaws (her overbearing innocence, her constant crying, her gullibility, her hair). And don't even get me started on the whole "she doesn't have this character's flaw or that character's flaw" mumbo jumbo because she DOES have hotheadedness (when she yells at Shinichi or her dad or when she uses karate), jealousy issues (there were multiple instances when she showed jealousy over some of Shinichi's female fans/acquaintances), insecurity (where do you think her tears came from?), lack of knowledge (she is easily fooled), and a little dose of possessiveness (she doesn't want to let Shinichi go). I'm not saying it's wrong to have an opinion, but I'm just looking for some consistency in your argument.

Kyuu > Ran. She would lose in a fight against me. And I still don't like her for reasons previously stated.

Nice ego you have their sir.

• Upvote 1

Nice ego you have their sir.

It is not about ego...

Reasons why I'd beat her: 1) I'm older than her and therefore have more martial arts experience. 2) She is female and therefore already disadvantage in terms of strength. 3) I trained for real world, she trained for competition (in other words, I'd go for strikes that she would not be trained to block against due to illegality in the ring) 4)

She has already shown that she has issues fighting unconventional styles against Sera

5) I also have a huge reach advantage. I'm above average height for a Westerner, let alone for a Japanese female... Really... it isn't about ego, I legitimately think she would have no chance against me. It would be like her fighting that one martial artist from that one case which I cannot remember (the guy whom she looked up to). Makoto would fair better, but he has the same issue with competition vs street style.