Detective Conan World
kEa-cHiI

Why do some people not like Ran?

She's kinda boring. There's nothing really unique about her, which is pretty bad thing considering that she's main female lead. And even in terms of similar characters she's behind. Like for example Kazuha is atleast funny at times and her love moments with Heiji are cute. With Sera on the scene her only uniqueness which was this strong tomboy girl is gone. Now do I hate her? No. I just don't find her interesting enough in any sense. As people said, she has few good moments, but overall she's just plain. What I hate tho is her movie appearances. Those are ridiculously bad. But let's not go in there.

Hm...Ran used to be my fav character in dc(I think so but she's definitely on the list :) ) now, I don't really think about her that much, she is pretty much overshadowed ...I'm an absolute ShinRan fan, I think they deserve each other and as an admirer of Shinichi who have zero chance with him(OMG can't believe I just said that XD)I think Ran is just perfect for him, moments I actually pay attention to her is their romantic& cute moments + when she interacts with others like Sera,Kazuha, Sonoko etc. Other than that, I just 'oh,she's there',seeing how lovable she is to me ,it's just...weird as I can't even think about her, Gosho-sensei really need to potray her character more... :(:):D

She appear too much but she is so boring most of the time, and useless during most cases. Every cases. I nearly forget her existence. Even Ayumi is more useful than her and in some aspects, braver than her. She solved one case though. And I hate it when every openings and endings are about her doing something cheesy with Shinichi and in most movies she has to be the "damsel in distress" screaming "Shinichi" which is so annoying. In recent movie 20, the scene she screaming "Shinichi" with tears doesn't appear in the actual movie, which is good. I don't even know why she have to appear in the poster when her screen time is no more than 5 minutes, even less than Megure. And I hate her fans when someone criticize Ran Mouri, they will assume that he/she is an Ai's fan and bash Ai, which is so childish. In the whole show, Ran is the only character that shows regression in personality. She is a lot more hot-headed in old files but now she is such a boring mother-type character and is very unreal. Fictional characters are not supposed to be so realistic but Ran's personality is very shallow and she is no more than a mere plot device. Her stupidity peaked when she gave up her Karate when the culprit nearly kill her just because of a fortune paper in Tori case. The problem is not severe if she is not supposed to be the female lead but is overshadowed by AI, Yukiko, Eri, Vermouth, Sato who are far interesting than her.     

The sad irony in this is that Gosho I've heard does consider Ran to be a favorite character of his and as I speculate, probably for the opposite reason she isn't well regarded by the fandom.

When you look at it from the angle that the characters are basically the children of the writer, Ran is the kid that Father Aoyama wants to desperately protect.

He's allowed his other children some room to grow and to be independent.  Even allowed Ran to do something interesting during the Vermouth arc in helping to save Haibara.  And as a result that might have actually shook him up.  Possibly afraid that she'd become a more interesting child who wouldn't play by the rules.  So instead of letting her possible growth continue, Gosho just tightens the leash.

3 hours ago, Antiyonder said:

The sad irony in this is that Gosho I've heard does consider Ran to be a favorite character of his and as I speculate, probably for the opposite reason she isn't well regarded by the fandom.

When you look at it from the angle that the characters are basically the children of the writer, Ran is the kid that Father Aoyama wants to desperately protect.

He's allowed his other children some room to grow and to be independent.  Even allowed Ran to do something interesting during the Vermouth arc in helping to save Haibara.  And as a result that might have actually shook him up.  Possibly afraid that she'd become a more interesting child who wouldn't play by the rules.  So instead of letting her possible growth continue, Gosho just tightens the leash.

Xd the way you put is kinda funny somehow haha 

Hm...Ran's personality is OK & all but her involvement in the plot is just a tiny bit which makes her seems unimportant but I can't see the reason why anyone have to hate her for it, even though it's kinda annoying that she has no role in the main plot....

Well among other things I feel one factor is that the series was originally suppose to be shorter.

And keeping the original intent might not have made her a better character, the problem would have been lessened severely.  But even then, Ran had a little more to do whether it was actually helping to save Conan (like when he pursued the kidnapper without having a means to defeat him) or serving as an obstacle when he's gathering clues.

3 hours ago, Antiyonder said:

Gosho's favorite character is Conan, and his favorite characters that he wants to say what Conan doesn't say is Kogorou and Haibara. He said that in some SDB. I haven't heard that Gosho's favorite character is Ran.

Even if Ran is indeed Gosho's favorite, Ran is created so that Conan can stay at Mori's agency and solve filler cases. Therefore, Ran should be restricted so that Conan can still solve filler cases and Gosho can pad the story as long as possible. For example, Ran cannot figure out Conan's identity now, that will change the formula or the manga. Ran cannot have any male friends to hang out now (not boyfriend) because she is supposed to be solely for Shinichi. Ran cannot remember that she has met Sera 10 years ago now because this and that. Gosho will address these issue but not now and when the story is dragging out, Ran cannot do anything yet.   

16 minutes ago, eros1607 said:

Gosho's favorite character is Conan, and his favorite characters that he wants to say what Conan doesn't say is Kogorou and Haibara. He said that in some SDB. I haven't heard that Gosho's favorite character is Ran.

Even if Ran is indeed Gosho's favorite, Ran is created so that Conan can stay at Mori's agency and solve filler cases. Therefore, Ran should be restricted so that Conan can still solve filler cases and Gosho can pad the story as long as possible. For example, Ran cannot figure out Conan's identity now, that will change the formula or the manga. Ran cannot have any male friends to hang out now (not boyfriend) because she is supposed to be solely for Shinichi. Ran cannot remember that she has met Sera 10 years ago now because this and that. Gosho will address these issue but not now and when the story is dragging out, Ran cannot do anything yet.   

I don't see how her being allowed more involvement with the plot would compromise Gosho's ability to pad out the series.

If anything it provides him with more padding fodder.

19 minutes ago, Antiyonder said:

I don't see how her being allowed more involvement with the plot would compromise Gosho's ability to pad out the series.

If anything it provides him with more padding fodder.

Maybe if Ran is more involved in the plot, that will not harm Conan solving filler cases. But before that, Gosho has to do a long build-up for Ran to involve (for example, the relation of Vermouth). The series has enough characters that are directly involved in the plot but being inactive as well. Haibara is the most obvious example. Although she is involved in Rum identity and the case of Haneda Kohji (and Asaka), she is not active like in 500 chapters ago and now everyone expect her to figure out Subaru and she is not allowed to do that yet, too critical for the plot. I think Gosho cares more about these character rather than Ran who involves in the plot through a proxy (Shinichi). And with many characters like that, Gosho can't help ignoring Ran to focus on Sera,  Amuro, Akai, Mary. The problem is now worsened with many new suspicious characters introduced recently, and will take spotlight soon.  

1 minute ago, eros1607 said:

Maybe if Ran is more involved in the plot, that will not harm Conan solving filler cases. But before that, Gosho has to do a long build-up for Ran to involve (for example, the relation of Vermouth). The series has enough characters that are directly involved in the plot but being inactive as well. Haibara is the most obvious example. Although she is involved in Rum identity and the case of Haneda Kohji (and Asaka), she is not active like in 500 chapters ago and now everyone expect her to figure out Subaru and she is not allowed to do that yet, too critical for the plot. I think Gosho cares more about these character rather than Ran who involve in the plot through a proxy (Shinichi). And with many characters like that, Gosho can't help ignoring Ran to focus on Sera,  Amuro, Akai, Mary. The problem is now worsened with many new suspicious characters introduced recently, and will take spotlight soon.  

1. http://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?p=857573#p857573

If the contents of that post is to be believe, there already is build up towards that change when Gosho is willing to allow it to happen, with all that's needed is a trigger.

2. I don't know.  I still think it's plausible that he does like Ran more than one would think and for the very reason that she's a safe predictable character in a series where other characters don't completely play by the rules.  Basically he likes her, but for the wrong reasons.

And I hate her fans when someone criticize Ran Mouri, they will assume that he/she is an Ai's fan and bash Ai, which is so childish.

True, but in fairness:

3. When you've suggested that you don't want the character you dislike to be written better, it does seem like your disdain is more out of principles than for legit reasons.

4. It doesn't help when you hold Ran's mistakes/flaws against her, while overlooking mistakes made by the other characters even if they are better for the most part.

31 minutes ago, Antiyonder said:

True, but in fairness:

3. When you've suggested that you don't want the character you dislike to be written better, it does seem like your disdain is more out of principles than for legit reasons.

4. It doesn't help when you hold Ran's mistakes/flaws against her, while overlooking mistakes made by the other characters even if they are better for the most part.

I am not against Ran being written better. I just have no idea about what Gosho should do to address the problem because fans have discussed these issues for several years but the solution from Gosho is still nowhere. Some flashbacks with Shinichi don't help. 

And I don't focus on Ran's flaws to not like her. I like a character because how entertaining that character is. I like Kogorou despite his massive flaws. Meanwhile, Ran may has fewer flaws than many character but she fails to entertain me (and other fans). That may be biased but personal taste cannot be judged by only pure logical reasons. I'm sorry about that.

4 minutes ago, eros1607 said:

I am not against Ran being written better. I just have no idea about what Gosho should do to address the problem because fans have discussed these issues for several years but the solution from Gosho is still nowhere. Some flashbacks with Shinichi don't help. 

To be fair, he doesn't necessarily need to have Ran getting into the BO stuff straight away.  Start off by having her adjust to learning the truth about Conan after having her suspicions confirmed.  Namely having to do her part in maintaining the secret and ironically having to mislead anyone else who might come across it.

Plus, even if it might have been necessary early on, the fact is Conan, Haibara, Yukiko, Yusaku, Heiji and Agasa really never gave her a chance to prove she can handle being involved.  So I'd think there's much character potential in having to address the discomfort at being singled out, plus being lied to when others have found out and nothing came out of it.

Meanwhile, Ran may has fewer flaws than many character but she fails to entertain me (and other fans). That may be biased but personal taste cannot be judge by pure logical reasons.

Of course, and I wouldn't say her flaws are minor.  Just that I feel she has potential that is overlooked.

There's the fact that she did pretty well during the Vermouth arc.  But I feel that long period of time between "The Cornered Famous Detective! Two Successive Big Murder Cases" and "The Desperate Revival" demonstrates more than one would think.  Even if during "The Desperate Revival" she showed her suspicion, she kept it for a much longer than usual time to the point that Conan (sharp detective) didn't notice it until the arc began.  And that's with Ran having anyone to help her conceal her knowledge.  Just imagine how much better she'd do with support.

On 9/24/2016 at 10:17 AM, Antiyonder said:

Waste of potential is also a serious problem for many character in DC, especially Ai who now becomes more and more a babysitter. You can say that Ai doesn't figure out Subaru's identity is identical to the case Ran doesn't figure out Conan's identity. The problem is that more involvement of Ai = DC ends faster. It's a pity.

Well I like all DC characters...The problem with Ran is just nothing but extra..She doesn't do anything that helpful as Haibara and the others do...Well Mouri has some uses for being Conan-kun's 'help' for solving cases

5 hours ago, EdogawaTenshi said:

Well I like all DC characters...The problem with Ran is just nothing but extra..She doesn't do anything that helpful as Haibara and the others do...Well Mouri has some uses for being Conan-kun's 'help' for solving cases

Agreed :)

But the thing is,she IS supposed to be the MAIN PROTAGONIST, that's why it annoys people when her role is nothing more than an extra...

I guess,just my opinion, a lot of people were involved in the plot making it difficult to choose protagonists so Gosho-sensei simply pick Shinichi's romamtic interest as the protagonist, dunno...

17 minutes ago, Ayuna Yume said:

Agreed :)

But the thing is,she IS supposed to be the MAIN PROTAGONIST, that's why it annoys people when her role is nothing more than an extra...

I guess,just my opinion, a lot of people were involved in the plot making it difficult to choose protagonists so Gosho-sensei simply pick Shinichi's romamtic interest as the protagonist, dunno...

Shinichi and Ran were cloned from Kaito (Kid) and Aoko in Magic Kaito which was written earlier in Gosho's career. In that work, Kaito and Aoko were protagonist but Magic Kaito's plot is much simpler than DC and because Kaito and Aoko are adults, they interacted way more than Shinichi (who is a kid now) and Ran although Aoko is also nothing more than Kaito's love interest. Therefore, the irrelevance of Aoko is not as serious as Ran who is now overshadowed by plot-related characters such as Ai, Masumi, Shuiichi, Rei and even the DBs. 

2 minutes ago, eros1607 said:

Shinichi and Ran were cloned from Kaito (Kid) and Aoko in Magic Kaito which written earlier in Gosho's career. In that work, Kaito and Aoko were protagonist but Magic Kaito's plot is much simpler than DC and because Kaito and Aoko are adults, they interacted way more than Shinichi (who is a kid now) and Ran although Aoko is also nothing more than Kaito's love interest. Therefore, the irrelevance of Aoko is not as serious as Ran who is now overshadowed by plot-related characters such as Ai, Masumi, Shuiichi, Rei and even the DBs. 

Hm...well, I guess it's the writer's fault for cloning characters without change except for their personality(Even though it too kinda same...)

I didn't watch all MK ep but I can tell there are not many characters introduced so it is more relevant but I hate it that Gosho-sensei is making Ran as an extra, then he shouldn't name her as a protagonist, her zero involvement is making fans frustrated :(

Oh well ,not like I care, as long as Shinichi gets to be with the girl he loves, it's all good for me who's more of a romance lover... :D

On 9/24/2016 at 7:31 PM, eros1607 said:

Waste of potential is also a serious problem for many character in DC, especially Ai who now becomes more and more a babysitter. You can say that Ai doesn't figure out Subaru's identity is identical to the case Ran doesn't figure out Conan's identity. The problem is that more involvement of Ai = DC ends faster. It's a pity.

Even then, Haibara still gets to do more with her screentime (or in the case of the manga, paneltime) than Ran, such as helping to solve a case as EdogawaTenchi points out.  Plus more often than not she isn't brought into a story just for the sake of being there (having a lower rate of appearances than Ran).

But for what it's worth, I'm not really asking for Ran to appear more often, but just to give her appearances more substance.

20 hours ago, Antiyonder said:

Even then, Haibara still gets to do more with her screentime (or in the case of the manga, paneltime) than Ran, such as helping to solve a case as EdogawaTenchi points out.  Plus more often than not she isn't brought into a story just for the sake of being there (having a lower rate of appearances than Ran).

But for what it's worth, I'm not really asking for Ran to appear more often, but just to give her appearances more substance.

Make Ran useful Aoyama-kun!! I'll pay you ¥10000 if you do that!!SORRY RAN BUT YOURE A USELESS GIRLFRIEND!!

But I like her to be me since I want Conan mine

On 9/27/2016 at 4:49 PM, EdogawaTenshi said:

Make Ran useful Aoyama-kun!! I'll pay you ¥10000 if you do that!!SORRY RAN BUT YOURE A USELESS GIRLFRIEND!!

But I like her to be me since I want Conan mine

XD you seem so desperate but you have my support ;)

Okay, here's the plan, we work together to break ShinRan and then you can have Ran while I take Shinichi, agree? :D;)

On 9/22/2016 at 1:03 AM, eros1607 said:

Even Ayumi is more useful than her and in some aspects, braver than her. She solved one case though

Can you explain this to me this 

(Ayumi is useful the Ran,not only that and she is braver than Ran) and that the DB are more useful than Ran

For me i don't think that DB is useful (except Ai and Conan) and i think Ran is more braver than Ayumi and not only that Ran saved Ai from Vermouth, did Ayumi do anything like this.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/9402/9

On 9/22/2016 at 1:03 AM, eros1607 said:

She appear too much but she is so boring most of the time, and useless during most cases. Every cases. I nearly forget her existence. Even Ayumi is more useful than her and in some aspects, braver than her. She solved one case though. And I hate it when every openings and endings are about her doing something cheesy with Shinichi and in most movies she has to be the "damsel in distress" screaming "Shinichi" which is so annoying. In recent movie 20, the scene she screaming "Shinichi" with tears doesn't appear in the actual movie, which is good. I don't even know why she have to appear in the poster when her screen time is no more than 5 minutes, even less than Megure. And I hate her fans when someone criticize Ran Mouri, they will assume that he/she is an Ai's fan and bash Ai, which is so childish. In the whole show, Ran is the only character that shows regression in personality. She is a lot more hot-headed in old files but now she is such a boring mother-type character and is very unreal. Fictional characters are not supposed to be so realistic but Ran's personality is very shallow and she is no more than a mere plot device. Her stupidity peaked when she gave up her Karate when the culprit nearly kill her just because of a fortune paper in Tori case. The problem is not severe if she is not supposed to be the female lead but is overshadowed by AI, Yukiko, Eri, Vermouth, Sato who are far interesting than her.     

Can you explain this to me this 

(Ayumi is useful the Ran,not only that and she is braver than Ran) and that the DB are more useful than Ran

For me i don't think that DB is useful (except Ai and Conan) and i think Ran is more braver than Ayumi and not only that Ran saved Ai from Vermouth, did Ayumi do anything like this.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/9402/9

Another thing Ran sloved 3 cases by her own

This the link of you need to be sure

https://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Ran_Mouri#Appellations