Detective Conan World
kEa-cHiI

Why do some people not like Ran?

Sorry if i offend you.

why does anyone like Ran  :angry2:

I like her because of her good heart, honesty, courage (she saved Ai while being shot at, even though she fears ghosts) and faithfulness. Not many people would wait for years for a lost love, and in my opinion only THIS kind person can honestly claim they really know what LOVE is. Searching for a substitute for a disappeared or dead lover is in my opinion a sign the "love" wasn't real or serious. The only excuse in my opinion would be if thid first lover would turn out to be a scumbag.

Also, apart from liking Ran as a character, I am the type of person who doesn't believe in the concept of "fully and sincerely getting over the first love" ever (if it was really love and not something else, like lust or admiration etc). Therefore, I would not only be disappointed, but depressed to the extreme if Shinichi left Ran, his childhood friend and first love, for Haibara or whoever else, no matter how well drawn and presented this character would be.

But, I must notice, if Ai was Shinichi's first love, I would have rooted for THEM to be together, even though I would have still liked Ran's character.

• Upvote 1

is there anything important for anyone these last few years 

Then that in itself is an inherent fault of the series, isn't it?  Though I'd have to disagree; pretty much everyone in the series is playing his or her role perfectly, save for Ran.  She's a bit of an oddball who's been dumbed down for the sake of extending the plot.  In a long running story like DC's, you can't expect every single character to directly or even indirectly affect the plot.  Is it not enough that Takagi knows Date who knows Amuro?  His manga character was derived from an AO character anyway, so I'd say this is pretty decent plot involvement for a guy like him.

I dont know about dumbed dow, cause she has been the same. I dont get this wirh gosho, every time a bo plot is in progress, ran has doubts on who conan is then gosho pulls the same trick over and over over again. While heiji had his doubts and later figured it out on his first try...with the same paterns of clues. This bourbon arc was pointless.

Then that in itself is an inherent fault of the series, isn't it?  Though I'd have to disagree; pretty much everyone in the series is playing his or her role perfectly, save for Ran.  She's a bit of an oddball who's been dumbed down for the sake of extending the plot.  In a long running story like DC's, you can't expect every single character to directly or even indirectly affect the plot.  Is it not enough that Takagi knows Date who knows Amuro?  His manga character was derived from an AO character anyway, so I'd say this is pretty decent plot involvement for a guy like him.

I think the problem is that Ran is perhaps the most frequent appearing supporting character in the series (plus being present since the beginning).  As such any lack of changes are more noticeable with her than other cast members.

I used to despise her strongly, to the point I dedicate my life bashing her and chasing away her fans on the net (I get it, shame on me). But for some reason, it died off.

Anyway, for me it was because of her signifigance to the plot, yet the amount of screentime she have and did not deserve. I would've loved DC if Shinichi went out with Kazuha and Heiji (in this imaginary universe, they took Ran's place), and things go on from there. It would've been much more entertaining, in my opinion.

She gets in almost all of the episodes, yet she didn't change much. She did change one thing, from the comic relief violence to the distress-mode damsel. It's annoying. Face it, Shinichi isn't even her boyfriend. Just a childhood friend. Ran didn't own him.

So my lifelong friend who happens to be my crush is going to a long case to do his job. All I'll get is a few occasional meetings and phone calls. That's good enough for me. He isn't even my boyfreind after all. My love is (supposedly) one-sided.

But no. She just have to go around like she owns him. He doesn't pick up his phone? Get angry. He's being irritating? Act cranky.

Sure, she has her understanding moments too (Like that valentine chapter, for one), but her annoying moments shadows everything else. Especially if you had been hating her for that long.

But honestly, Shinichi have no obligation to call her, right? I don't even know why he bothers. They're childhood friends. There are a lot of people with more than one childhood friends on the globe, and should they call each of them and go meet them everytime their job took them away? Is having friends such a hassle?

Anyway, she doesn't have a huge impact to the plot after like, 600 episodes, at least? None of them brought great impact to the plot. A few of the character twist the plot an episode of their appearance, but Ran...

And one more thing, does every movie require her being saved? Can't she help herself just once? She knows karate, right? She can bend a pole, break a table. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but how could one has such unearthly power but hasn't saved herself once?

And one more, she should stop crying that much and actually do something about the situation if she hate it that much.

• Upvote 1

It's only natural that a chacracter's unchanged role in an anime gets irritating after almost 20 years. Shinichi is mentioned in like half of all episodes and almost everytime you'd get a close-up on Ran where she comments/thinks something related to her liking him and nothing changes until the following time he comes up. It would be weird if that did not become irritating.

I used to despise her strongly, to the point I dedicate my life bashing her and chasing away her fans on the net (I get it, shame on me). But for some reason, it died off.

Anyway, for me it was because of her signifigance to the plot, yet the amount of screentime she have and did not deserve. I would've loved DC if Shinichi went out with Kazuha and Heiji (in this imaginary universe, they took Ran's place), and things go on from there. It would've been much more entertaining, in my opinion.

She gets in almost all of the episodes, yet she didn't change much. She did change one thing, from the comic relief violence to the distress-mode damsel. It's annoying. Face it, Shinichi isn't even her boyfriend. Just a childhood friend. Ran didn't own him.

So my lifelong friend who happens to be my crush is going to a long case to do his job. All I'll get is a few occasional meetings and phone calls. That's good enough for me. He isn't even my boyfreind after all. My love is (supposedly) one-sided.

But no. She just have to go around like she owns him. He doesn't pick up his phone? Get angry. He's being irritating? Act cranky.

Sure, she has her understanding moments too (Like that valentine chapter, for one), but her annoying moments shadows everything else. Especially if you had been hating her for that long.

But honestly, Shinichi have no obligation to call her, right? I don't even know why he bothers. They're childhood friends. There are a lot of people with more than one childhood friends on the globe, and should they call each of them and go meet them everytime their job took them away? Is having friends such a hassle?

Anyway, she doesn't have a huge impact to the plot after like, 600 episodes, at least? None of them brought great impact to the plot. A few of the character twist the plot an episode of their appearance, but Ran...

And one more thing, does every movie require her being saved? Can't she help herself just once? She knows karate, right? She can bend a pole, break a table. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but how could one has such unearthly power but hasn't saved herself once?

And one more, she should stop crying that much and actually do something about the situation if she hate it that much.

Even in case her love was one-sided (which in my opinion it is not), she has the right to fight for it and try to get Shinichi's attention. Or does a person in love have to be passive and not to try to make it become mutual, for some unknown reasons? And "dedicating your life to chasing her fans" is really upsetting (for me personally) because I don't really feel like it's a good thing I was born into a world where so many people hate childhood friend romances, which are the only romances that manage to touch my heart (all the others leave me cold like a fish).

I mean, no offense please, I am not angry or belligerent, just sad.

well hobgoblin2012 i appreciate you're back again, i missed you.

i have a thing to say, well you know it's just i missed you, i really love ran mouri because it's the nicest and compassive girl i've ever know, not only her, ayumi is that way too to a 95% of the culprits both of them.

Even in case her love was one-sided (which in my opinion it is not), she has the right to fight for it and try to get Shinichi's attention. Or does a person in love have to be passive and not to try to make it become mutual, for some unknown reasons? And "dedicating your life to chasing her fans" is really upsetting (for me personally) because I don't really feel like it's a good thing I was born into a world where so many people hate childhood friend romances, which are the only romances that manage to touch my heart (all the others leave me cold like a fish).

I mean, no offense please, I am not angry or belligerent, just sad.

Sorry, really. I apologize. I was and still am an immature child dislike Ran-like girls because of a personal experience. Honestly, I apologize. It's not the childhood romance I dislike them from, I have nothing against childhood romances. It's Ran I had a problem with.

She has the right to fight for it, sure, but getting angry isn't the part of it. It's Shinichi's life, and it didn't belong to her in any way.

Again, I'm sorry. I honestly wish I can start over again. But for now, I apologize. Really, sorry. To all Ran fans.

Sorry, really. I apologize. I was and still am an immature child dislike Ran-like girls because of a personal experience. Honestly, I apologize. It's not the childhood romance I dislike them from, I have nothing against childhood romances. It's Ran I had a problem with.

She has the right to fight for it, sure, but getting angry isn't the part of it. It's Shinichi's life, and it didn't belong to her in any way.

Again, I'm sorry. I honestly wish I can start over again. But for now, I apologize. Really, sorry. To all Ran fans.

Don't worry, no need for apologies, you are entitled to your opinion. It's just I am too biased towards first love romances (childhood friends especially) and maybe am too blind to some of Ran's flaws. My point of view isn't perfect either. But I agree Gosho could have developed this romance a little differently, some situations border on grotesque maybe, so I understand what you mean.

• Upvote 1

I used to dislike her because she was like the Mary Sue of the show, but I re-watched some older episodes and the 2nd and 4th Movie and really started to like her. Is there any reason why people hate her other than the Mary Sue thing?

I don't know. Some people say she is too "flat" and "it's annoying she is afraid of ghosts" but I personally don't understand how can such trifle things make seriously HATE a character. I personally can only hate characters who have done something evil, and even in that case, not always. Ran surely has done nothing evil. Theoretically, I could understand why some people wouldn't be interested in her character and feel indifferent, but not the hatred. Only the fact she is considered sometimes an obstacle for Ai to be Shinichi's romantic partner can partially explain the level of hostility, but then even though I support ShinRan and Ran is one of my favorite characters, but I don't hate Ai.

I wouldn't say I hate Ran, but these days, I'm certainly less interested in her character. I think there are several different reasons why, so I'll try to elaborate on them... (and maybe people feel a similar way)

I think most of my "problem" is that following the Vermouth arc, I just don't really find Ran to have many interesting moments, or anything to really draw me to her character. In fact, after this point, I'd say I'm more annoyed than anything when I try to think of particular details, and not just at Ran, but at how some things are handled (Rooster festival case is a prime example, but I also tend to ignore it since it's mostly a one-off...), but even after this point, other characters like Haibara (who is my favorite) also are much less "involved" but I still like her because she provides some solid comic relief.

I still do like Ran early on in the series, and she has a lot of great moments.

The movies don't really do her justice... at all. She does have some moments here and there, but overall, I'd say the movies do a terrible job at portraying her character strengths and more or less show the weakness (at least lately). The argument that Ran is always crying over Shinichi would probably be pretty accurate in regards to the movies... but it really doesn't happen that often in the manga... - Probably the most common thing I hear from people who hate her character though.

That being said, her character has always been tied to Shinichi. She is his love interest, an obstacle, and motivation for him to get his body back. She doesn't always seem to have an identity of her own, and the presentation can really bug me here.

Perhaps I'm poor at conveying this, but take two instances for example, The Mystery in the Net case and the Besieged Detective Agency case, both "great" moments for Ran, depending on how you look at it... In these cases, Ran would usually explain her actions by saying it's something that Shinichi would say or do. Now to clarify, I don't think this really suggests that she is doing it because Shinichi would, or that she doesn't have an identity of her own (it's always been clear that Ran and Shinichi have very similar beliefs, and are both "perfect" characters, just see the New York Case) - but I've always felt it's just unnecessary. I feel bringing Shinichi up just takes away from both of these scenes.

She's less "unique" - I suppose it depends on how you look at it, but early on Ran was different because she had her karate. We've since had many characters like Kazuha, Makoto, or probably the worst offender... Sera who have really taken away from this.

Anyways, I guess my point is that Ran's karate was something different in the beginning, and now we have a plethora of characters who are on a similar or higher level than Ran.

With Ran, I just don't really have much to look forward to I guess. As the series goes on, I just find her less and less interesting. There's basically the confession she has to respond to, and I don't care about ships or romance at all in this series, and then maybe another, and hopefully final suspicion arc (and after several failed ones this also doesn't really put her in a great light)? I do think the length of the series has significantly hurt her character, and Shinichi and Ran's romance in particular...

Sometimes people don't really need a good reason to "hate" her, they just do. It's pretty common that people hate her because they don't "ship" the canon pairing and want to see Shinichi with someone else. (One of the stupidest reasons I've seen for disliking a character, but what are you gonna do about it?)

I "hate" characters like Genta, Ayumi, Kaitou Kid (in DC) and Eisuke. Don't really have any good reasons. Just never liked them, and get annoyed at their appearances  :P

I think the reason I started liking her was because I took her pity in how she relies on Shinichi for everything, however, I do agree with the fact that she has become less interesting as the series progressed. And I dislike the fact that as a character with so much potential and great fighting abilities(I mean, she IS a Karate Champion) she is easily scared and very gullible. A shame she is not dependable until she understands very clearly what she must do.

tumblr_nk9v0s1Ms81s005d0o3_400.gif

tumblr_nk9v0s1Ms81s005d0o2_400.gif

tumblr_nvfk7e7bcH1s005d0o2_400.gif

to sum it up

-she's flat and predictable

-she not as headstrong as she used to be (this is just a personal gripe)

-her preachings and remarks about Shinichi are repetitive and tiresome

-she is more of a plot device than her own character and acts as a deus ex machina, which is just lazy writing

-her role as the damsel in distress in practically every DC movie leaves a real bad aftertaste

-she has cried so much that I can't sympathize with her "ordeal" anymore (crying isn't necessarily a bad thing, but geezus, the gimmick gets really old after twenty years)

can't really blame her though

DC is a more of a whodunit than a plot driven series, so any character development is minimal (if any at all) at best

I could understand why some people wouldn't be interested in her character and feel indifferent, but not the hatred. 

personally, I don't "hate" Ran

I just dislike how banal she is as a character since she'd be a perfectly fine person in real life

I guess, I'm alone to say that she is the contrast to Haibra; While I adore both characters, Haibara is more of the intellectual genius who lost a family and is regarded as a traitor and is running away from the past. While Ran is the more strong character who is stuck in the past and do not want to escape the past because of emotional attachment. Hence forth, I guess while Haibara wants to stay in a child's form; Ran seems eager to meet Shinichi. In other words Ran is in love with Shinichi the real character, while Haibara is in love with Conan the fake character Shinichi has made up to live. I do not doubt that Ran will end up with Shinichi, while Haibara will end up getting over the matter and find something new. Therefore I guess Ran would be essential for motivating Shinichi to come back at the very end..

• Upvote 1