Detective Conan World
kEa-cHiI

Why do some people not like Ran?

It is not about ego...

Reasons why I'd beat her: 1) I'm older than her and therefore have more martial arts experience. 2) She is female and therefore already disadvantage in terms of strength. 3) I trained for real world, she trained for competition (in other words, I'd go for strikes that she would not be trained to block against due to illegality in the ring) 4)

She has already shown that she has issues fighting unconventional styles against Sera

5) I also have a huge reach advantage. I'm above average height for a Westerner, let alone for a Japanese female... Really... it isn't about ego, I legitimately think she would have no chance against me. It would be like her fighting that one martial artist from that one case which I cannot remember (the guy whom she looked up to). Makoto would fair better, but he has the same issue with competition vs street style.

It was just a joke. I guess I forgot to put the :P emoticon after the statement. And I'm sure you'd be able to beat her.

It was just a joke. I guess I forgot to put the :P emoticon after the statement. And I'm sure you'd be able to beat her.

Ah lol.

Well... Before it goes off any further... Again... Ran needs to develop. Something, anything... Just... some degree of character development!

^ This. This SOOOOOOOOOO much. Sorry Ran fans- it's true.

That's the thing- there are no negative things to focus on. She's a MARY-SUE. She has no "official" flaws. People hate her because Gosho made her too perfect. The only flaws people can find can be argued and messed with and formed in so many ways. She doesn't have Haibara's flaw of not trusting people, Heiji's hotheadedness, Ayumi's jealousy issues, Kaito's lack of modesty and fear of fish, Genta's food addiction, Mitsuhiko's insecurity, Kazuha's lack of logic (jumping to conclusions) and possessiveness, or her dad's alcohol problem (though it would be HILARIOUS to see that that was her hidden flaw all along- she hates her father drinking because then SHE wants a drink! XD lol). She's basically a fan-character that was made official.

Mary-sue's annoy people- especially when they're one of the protagonists.

It's not that they focus on the negative things- it's that there isn't anything negative THERE!

While it is most likely that if you support AiCon you hate Ran, that's not true.

I'm an AyuCon, and I had no problem with Ran but now, 600 episodes and 800 files later, when she STILL hasn't revealed ANY flaws, I strongly VERY VERY VERY STRONGLY dislike her and a huge HUGE portion of her fans.

If she had been revealed to have any of the flaws above then more than HALF of the people who hate her now would be GONE.

I disagree,she has her flaws:

-she is too naive and often easily manipulated due to her selflessness

-She puts on a guise to hide her insecurity and flaws

-She isn't up front and honest and seems to lack something significant when Kudo isn't around. My thoughts are that they cover each others weaknesses. Kudo protects her from naivety, manipulation, and releases her from that "perfect" guise. Whereas she humbles Kudo and his ego as well as protect him physically with martial arts. That's the best part of their relationship.

I agree with the character development statement Kyuu said to the extent that DC moves slowly in general so plot and character development for the main characters will move like a snail. The other characters are more filler and thus have more development. However, i think things will move faster compared to the past.

I agree with the character development statement Kyuu said to the extent that DC moves slowly in general so plot and character development for the main characters will move like a snail. The other characters are more filler and thus have more development. However, i think things will move faster compared to the past.

Here is my problem with your assessment... She has been shot at, the kid she is taking care of has been shot and nearly died, and has been dumped by her boyfriend in various locations (by a frankly BS excuse. I know she is gullible, but really? EVERY TIME a case? Even the most gullible of people would think something is up, especially if he didn't tell her himself... not even a bloody phone call in his own voice (which he can TOTALLY do).)... and STILL NO CHANGE? She has had MORE than ample reason to develop and never has. Nothing... She has even seen a crazy person have plastic surgery and impersonate her BF!

I mean... this girl does not change!

Here is my problem with your assessment... She has been shot at, the kid she is taking care of has been shot and nearly died, and has been dumped by her boyfriend in various locations (by a frankly BS excuse. I know she is gullible, but really? EVERY TIME a case? Even the most gullible of people would think something is up, especially if he didn't tell her himself... not even a bloody phone call in his own voice (which he can TOTALLY do).)... and STILL NO CHANGE? She has had MORE than ample reason to develop and never has. Nothing... She has even seen a crazy person have plastic surgery and impersonate her BF!

I mean... this girl does not change!

Can't agree more. Ran doesn't seem to realise that she was being fooled EVERYTIME! It's either she believes that Shinichi would never lie to her or she just don't want to face the truth that he was hiding something from her. Either way, she still gets on my nerves.

I don't see why anyone would not like Ran...

I mean, she's nice and humble. Plus, she's a great karate player, right?

She's not that ugly, either!

And I think all girls have a soft spot (unless you are a robot or a real tough tomboy) :rolleyes:

Overall, I think she's someone who will be very easy to like :D

I don't see why anyone would not like Ran...

I mean, she's nice and humble. Plus, she's a great karate player, right?

She's not that ugly, either!

And I think all girls have a soft spot (unless you are a robot or a real tough tomboy) :rolleyes:

Overall, I think she's someone who will be very easy to like :D

Look at all of the other posts and you'll see WHY people don't like her- and they're all very common reasons to hate ANYBODY! XD

Look at all of the other posts and you'll see WHY people don't like her- and they're all very common reasons to hate ANYBODY! XD

They're also applicable to a bunch of characters, not just Ran. Most people are pretty static in DC after all.

They're also applicable to a bunch of characters, not just Ran. Most people are pretty static in DC after all.

It seems to me like a lot of the other characters have personalities to go along with that, though. XD Ran... just doesn't seem to have much of a personality. lol

It seems to me like a lot of the other characters have personalities to go along with that, though. XD Ran... just doesn't seem to have much of a personality. lol

I could levy exactly the same criticism at, say, Ayumi. Purposefully picked her here. >: D

My point is that many of these traits are not unique to Ran. If you are an equal opportunity disliker, that's good, but don't expect people not notice if you try to claim another character is exempt from the same criteria somehow.

• Upvote 1

I could levy the same criticism at, say, Ayumi. Purposefully picked her here. >:D

:rolleyes: You troll. lol

But Ayumi, while like Ran, seems to be a little closer to that of an actual little girl which makes her more real. Ran... isn't so much. XD She's very very fake. Ran should have had time to develop a real personality by now- Ayumi is FAR from figuring any of that out. XD

:rolleyes: You troll. lol

But Ayumi, while like Ran, seems to be a little closer to that of an actual little girl which makes her more real. Ran... isn't so much. XD She's very very fake. Ran should have had time to develop a real personality by now- Ayumi is FAR from figuring any of that out. XD

Can't argue with the trolling there. :P

The only real fakeness I see with Ran is how she never seems to ever get discouraged by Shinichi running off again and again with explanation. It would be much better for her character if she showed some wear, tear, and doubt from that. Other than that I don't see much else. Tsundere action girl is a pretty standard Japanese character archetype, as is the cute little determined girl. It would be nice to see some variation in the behavior from both of them because it does get old after a while. I think I can lob this criticism at all the regularly appearing DC girls and most of the guys teen and younger, maybe with Sonoko as the female exception. She can keep being awesome.

Can't argue with the trolling there. :P

The only real fakeness I see with Ran is how she never seems to ever get discouraged by Shinichi running off again and again. It would be much better for her character if she showed some wear and tear from that. Other than that I don't see much else. Tsundere action girl is a pretty standard Japanese character archetype, as is the cute little determined girl.

Yes- and the fact that every boy in sight falls for her and that she is loved by anyone and everyone and there really isn't a soul that hates her genuinely in the anime. She even has FANS for god sakes. It's annoying. Ayumi HAS some enemies. XD And she only has Mitsuhiko and Genta and no other random side characters asking her to be their valentine. :P

(Like that little girl Megumi I strongly dislike... she annoys me.)

*Shrugs* Sum up is Gosho needs to write better.

I think some people don't like Ran because they are jealous of her!!!!!!!!

LOL :D (now you have found out that I am Ran's fan <3)

The chick has two parents who aren't living with each other, a "boyfriend" who's running off all the time, a horn on the side of her head, is constantly seeing dead bodies, and is like a maid in her own home. I... don't think anybody envies her. XD

The chick has two parents who aren't living with each other, a "boyfriend" who's running off all the time, a horn on the side of her head, is constantly seeing dead bodies, and is like a maid in her own home. I... don't think anybody envies her. XD

Oh god, I laughed like mad when I read this. Good one!!! :lol:

I think what Emily-chan (knpce) meant was that people are jealous of Ran because of her ability to fight and the fact that Shinichi loves her. I bet the main reason most people don't like Ran is because of Shinichi. Since Shinichi is the man who everyone is chasing after, it kinda makes sense that non-ShinRan fans don't like Ran because they want Shinichi to be with whoever they want them to be with.

What's more, Ran has a good friend Sonoko, a great mom and a great dad. (he loves her and protects her eventhough he is a goofball most of the times :P) Hard to find a teen here who has one true friend and has good parents like her. And so many guys are falling in love with her,(check episode 6, Toshihide Wakamatsu) she has a good school life- who wouldn't want that? Despite the horn and everything else you stated, she kinda have a good life. That's what I feel anyway. :)

Ran is likeable enough I guess but I think she should be a little more unique in some ways. Oh yeah, she's a good karatedo and stuff but I never can distinguish her aura to any of her other counterparts. Also, her dramatic actions like crying etc made me annoyed by her. I mean, how about waiting for Shinichi for a little longer. A lot of other characters has suffered more (e.g. Ai). It's not as if Shinichi had died. It would have worked out if Gosho had her portrayed as a girl who tries to hide her feelings etc. etc. and will try to understand Shinichi. (Maybe if she knows the truth, she will)

But I don't hate her. It's just that, I am not much of a fan

I don't really hate any characters. A few of them I just find really annoying (i. e. Ghenta). Ran is okay in my opinion, I just feel that she acts more helpless than she is. If she really can use her karate to kick some butt, why doesn't she do it more often? Besides she gets tricked that Conan isn't Shinichi somewhat easily. But other then that, she is just a regular teenage girl who misses her boyfriend.

I have no opinion for whether I like Ran or not. She is not one of my favorite character either.But I will answer anyway.

She over-reacts,she is over-emotional and is annoying at times. D:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't believe that you can fail to portray a character, because on my experience, I have met people in reality very much like Ran. She is just portrayed as your ordinary girl, crybaby XD. Besides, she kinda has a right to be that way since the guy she likes has been missing for months. I don't really read too much into character development in general because if the author wanted them to be any other way, then they would of just made them that way to begin with. Sometimes her personality actually influences cases as well, so there could be a deeper meaning into her being the way she is. All together I find it impossible to think of a char as annoying so long as they don't have an irritating voice or insanely ugly. Without having false facts, it is impossible to write a story incorrectly. Just go with the flow XD.

For me i hate how she cries so easily. She should be more in control of her own emotions. She is also expecting too much from Shinichi i mean nobody is perfect. She also easily gets jealous and gets carried away too much. She is also quite immature. But then maybe that is why Shinichi likes her

For me i hate how she cries so easily. She should be more in control of her own emotions. She is also expecting too much from Shinichi i mean nobody is perfect. She also easily gets jealous and gets carried away too much. She is also quite immature. But then maybe that is why Shinichi likes her

I agree with you!