Detective Conan World
Parkur

The Official Movie 15 Discussion Thread

Is it bad I couldn't even make it through the first hour? I don't even feel like watching more, the thing bored me to death... Too much... Nothingness! It's like- orientated around the DB. I like Mitsuhiko, but I don't like the other two, so honestly I found it very hard to keep my eyes on the screen. All of the DC movies drew me in early-(except 11-actually... That had a good beginning.) this lost me before the sixty minute mark. After all these months of waiting, of course the movie I've been excited about for months falls completely flat of my expectations... TT.TT Movie 16 had better be good. But for now, I'll just stick to the older movies.

Is it bad I couldn't even make it through the first hour? I don't even feel like watching more, the thing bored me to death... Too much... Nothingness! It's like- orientated around the DB. I like Mitsuhiko, but I don't like the other two, so honestly I found it very hard to keep my eyes on the screen. All of the DC movies drew me in early-(except 11-actually... That had a good beginning.) this lost me before the sixty minute mark. After all these months of waiting, of course the movie I've been excited about for months falls completely flat of my expectations... TT.TT Movie 16 had better be good. But for now, I'll just stick to the older movies.

No, that sounds about right. The first half is pretty bad. The second half is what makes the movie really. I forced myself through it, and it was actually worth it. It had a good payoff...

No, that sounds about right. The first half is pretty bad. The second half is what makes the movie really. I forced myself through it, and it was actually worth it. It had a good payoff...

Really? ... But the first half was so terrible I don't even want to dare to watch more... Where does it get good? I'll just start from there.

I think people are overreacting just a *wee* bit. The Detective Boys weren't even that bad. They weren't going out of their way to be morons like they usually are in the movies. They were actually a lot less annoying than usual. It definitely wasn't enough to make me want to shut off the film (or even call the first half of the film "bad"). I'm one of the biggest critics of The Detective Boys but I think some folks are starting to get a little over-dramatic. Come on, guys.

• Upvote 2

I think people are overreacting just a *wee* bit. The Detective Boys weren't even that bad. They weren't going out of their way to be morons like they usually are in the movies. They were actually a lot less annoying than usual. It definitely wasn't enough to make me want to shut off the film (or even call the first half of the film "bad"). I'm one of the biggest critics of The Detective Boys but I think some folks are starting to get a little over-dramatic. Come on, guys.

Well, I'm not kidding when I said I couldn't last through the first hour. I tried my hardest, and it wasn't just the DB. The problem was that there isn't any action! I don't what I was expecting, but I didn't feel the way the other DC movies made me feel. I guess I'll try again this weekend to watch it, and hopefully the second half makes up for the disappointment of the first half. You usually have to force me to stop watching a DC movie- even if I've already watched it 10+ times. Especially if it's new. (14th movie... To parents and brother: Get away!!! I'm watching the fourteenth movie!!!!) I just set my expectations way too high. *sigh*

The problem was that there isn't any action!

Well, if one was ever wondering who people were trying to appeal to for the past few movies, there ya' go.

Who cares if there wasn't any action? I don't watch Detective Conan to watch action. If I want to watch an action movie, I watch freakin' Die Hard. Keep the stupid "OMG CRASH EXPLOSION OMG" crap out of Detective Conan, please. It just makes the movies look even more laughable.

Frankly I APPLAUD the new direction this movie went in. If you want a film that reminded you most of the original films, you know, the GOOD ones, this would be your best bet. I'm sick of the stupid explosions, and frankly I'm glad they got them out of the way 20 minutes into the movie, because cheap action and cheap explosions bore me silly.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, and you have your right to having a differing opinion, but man, I just do not see it at all.

• Upvote 1

Well, if one was ever wondering who people were trying to appeal to for the past few movies, there ya' go.

Who cares if there wasn't any action? I don't watch Detective Conan to watch action. If I want to watch an action movie, I watch freakin' Die Hard. Keep the stupid "OMG CRASH EXPLOSION OMG" crap out of Detective Conan, please. It just makes the movies look even more laughable.

Frankly I APPLAUD the new direction this movie went in. If you want a film that reminded you most of the original films, you know, the GOOD ones, this would be your best bet. I'm sick of the stupid explosions, and frankly I'm glad they got them out of the way 20 minutes into the movie, because cheap action and cheap explosions bore me silly.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, and you have your right to having a differing opinion, but man, I just do not see it at all.

I agree. I watch Detective Conan for.... you know... mystery... (This is still a mystery show right?) The mysteries is what makes it interesting, not the action.

I agree. I watch Detective Conan for.... you know... mystery... (This is still a mystery show right?) The mysteries is what makes it interesting, not the action.

Alas, it seems we are in the minority. Most people seem to expect action scenes in the movies and a movie with a 1h30-1h45 case would probably bore them to death.

Why people who are desperate for action don't just go watch nekketsu is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

Well I do watch for mysteries too (I read 750 chapters of DC in three weeks during the school year(read all night and sneak in ten chapters during school in the occasional breaks) from my kindle(I had lost my itouch and that kindle is so friggin slow) because I liked it you know!), but movies have to define themselves from the episodes. Otherwise, they're just an episode that's been elongated. And if that was all I wanted, I'd watch the anime more often.

Movies- from the very beginning- have some action moving it along, because a mystery that lasts 90+ minutes will lose most people along the way. (I'm part of this group.) A fast-paced plot combined with a murder, all boiling down into a dramatic climax, the criminal brought down, and another bout of chaos arising. That's essentially the pattern of DC movies. I'm sure the plot of the fifteenth movie is fine in essence, but it didn't seem to make any moves to define itself. The other movies just about scream a plot and make you listen. Movie 1: keep buildings from blowing up, Movie 2: Don't let some psycho kill in you in number format, Movie 3: Find the other egg and involve KID, etc. etc.

Movie 15? What I got from it: a. The subway blew up, but nobody died! b. Some guy got murdered and Conan pretty much figured out the trick right there and then. c. A teenager woke up from a coma after a long time and remembers nothing about his 'accident.' <- Sounds nice when put this way. But definitely not executed to my taste. It was too 'bland' for me if you will.

Now, someone tell me where it gets interesting. Around what minute mark does the case actually gain some momentum? Because I do want to finish it- but the first half was an utter disappointment for me and I don't want to have to watch more of it. (I spent all day getting myself excited for watching it, all week counting down to when I'd finally have enough time to watch the movie I'd been awaiting for six months!) It sounds like the climax is one of the greatest. It's just a shame how much of a turn-off the first hour was.

Otherwise, they're just an episode that's been elongated.

That's exactly what they're supposed to be ! That's how we'll get movies that respect the spirit of the series, not some James Bond like crap.

• Upvote 1

That's exactly what they're supposed to be ! That's how we'll get movies that respect the spirit of the series, not some James Bond like crap.

To reiterate what you said... we are in the minority. I grew up on quite frankly action light movies, you know horrible actionless movies like Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and To Kill A Mockingbird. Not to mention the various Sherlock Holmes series and movies. The lack of action really killed those movies, all they had was drama, suspense and were really boring... </sarcasm> Really though... action doesn't make a movie good or exciting. A good, engaging story should be all that is needed. Throw in some suspense, nicely placed and written drama with great atmosphere, and you have yourself an amazing movie that will stand the test of time.

• Upvote 1

There was no element of suspence in Movie 15....AT ALL...It was good..but not the best.

I hate how people prefer Harry Potter to movies like Cast Away/Shawshank Redemption/Forrest Gump/Schindler's list/Lord Of The Rings and etc..

A good film is one which has a excellent story. Movie 15's story was rather un-exciting..

There was no element of suspence in Movie 15....AT ALL...It was good..but not the best.

I hate how people prefer Harry Potter to movies like Cast Away/Shawshank Redemption/Forrest Gump/Schindler's list/Lord Of The Rings and etc..

A good film is one which has a excellent story. Movie 15's story was rather un-exciting..

I never said m15 was good. But it certainly took a few steps in the right direction.

In HP's defense, the books were better than the movies, but the books weren't masterpieces either.

My statements were more in relation to the comment about the lack of action, as if action makes a movie better... (it doesn't)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I never said m15 was good. But it certainly took a few steps in the right direction.

In HP's defense, the books were better than the movies, but the books weren't masterpieces either.

My statements were more in relation to the comment about the lack of action, as if action makes a movie better... (it doesn't)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think you misunderstood, i was agreeing with you actually. My reply wasnt against you. I was just upset that people havent watched some masterpieces which i and you just mentioned.

PS - Books do not come under picture.

EXACTLY. Frankly, I'm glad if this movie signals the new direction the movies will take from now on. If it means they have to drag the action fans kicking and screaming, then I'm all for it. The movies lately are less movies than they are some frankly boring homage to action films. Movie 14 is an insult to the audience's intelligence, but because it has Kaitou Kid and random explosions somehow it's OK for most of the people who reacted positively to it.

but movies have to define themselves from the episodes. Otherwise, they're just an episode that's been elongated.

But, that's what the four movies feel EXACTLY like, if you get right down to it, and does anyone know ANYONE that actually has a problem with the first four movies? They're damn good films. And I'm perfectly A-OK with Movie 15 doing its best to emulate the older films.

Movies- from the very beginning- have some action moving it along, because a mystery that lasts 90+ minutes will lose most people along the way. (I'm part of this group.)

Then what are you watching Detective Conan for? What are you reading the manga for? 90% of the manga and the anime is mystery. And what's with this pre-set notion that the movies have to have exciting explosions? I blame Movie 10 for this. When it first came out everyone was too busy going "ooohhh, Kaitou Kid!! <3" and "oooohhh, explosions!!" to realize early on that it was a BAD movie, which we've only had with the benefit of hindsight, and now it's just assumed that obnoxiously cheesy action scenes and cameos from everyone somehow equals a good movie. Frankly, the fact that you didn't even watch the last half of the movie, which really ties all of the issues you had with the movie up, is telling. And I think this'll be it from me for this debate, since I'm trying to save up my thoughts for when we record the podcast.

When you get right down to it folks, the name on the marquee says "Detective Conan", ladies and gentlemen. Nothing more, nothing less.

I never said it had to have explosions... They just all happen to have them once you think about it. (I don't think 7 did though...) The first four movies feel like those fast-paced arcs filled with suspense, the ones that make you tear your hair out because you have to wait for the next chapter. They have mystery, suspense, and that crucial factor of excitement. (which is what the mystery of 15 happens to lack.)

The plot of a movie has to make itself special, that's all. Otherwise, it's an anime special. It has to go out into the theaters, attract both fans and people who've never watched it before, and succeed in entertaining them.

And what I mean by action probably isn't exactly the conventional definition. (because I hate watching extreme violence and all that stuff) I mean a mix of suspense and excitement that keeps the audience begging for more on the edge of their toes. Argh... It's so hard to describe. I desire things that make me feel. Whether it feels that I'm holding my breath awaiting an answer, or crying, I need to have that sort of feeling. And yes, that does involve fangirling. And/or making fun of every character on the screen with my lil' bro.

I never said it had to have explosions... They just all happen to have them once you think about it. (I don't think 7 did though...) The first four movies feel like those fast-paced arcs filled with suspense, the ones that make you tear your hair out because you have to wait for the next chapter. They have mystery, suspense, and that crucial factor of excitement. (which is what the mystery of 15 happens to lack.)

The plot of a movie has to make itself special, that's all. Otherwise, it's an anime special. It has to go out into the theaters, attract both fans and people who've never watched it before, and succeed in entertaining them.

And what I mean by action probably isn't exactly the conventional definition. (because I hate watching extreme violence and all that stuff) I mean a mix of suspense and excitement that keeps the audience begging for more on the edge of their toes. Argh... It's so hard to describe. I desire things that make me feel. Whether it feels that I'm holding my breath awaiting an answer, or crying, I need to have that sort of feeling. And yes, that does involve fangirling. And/or making fun of every character on the screen with my lil' bro.

You obviously didn't watch the latter half of the movie then.... And that isn't action that is suspense and drama :P Really... finish it... It isn't perfect, but it is leagues better than 10, 11, 13 and 14.

I'll finish it... This weekend. Because I've skived off enough sleep with Code Geass. (staying up past midnight for past week) It sounds good, I just wish the first half had more suspense.

I really liked this movie, it had mystery and drama. This is what i've been waiting for in the latest movies. It had all the elements of a good movie, and showed true bravery. Excellent, in my opinion.

I think action can improve a movie(their is a place for just about everything), but it doesn't make a movie either. It's great in the right places, but its all about how its written and quality of the actors in my opinion. In everything moderation

This movie was better than most of the recent ones by far. And of course, I loved Conan defying gravity. :rolleyes:

First part wasn't amazing, but I didn't feel it was bad. There was a lot of the DB, but they weren't overly annoying. I did like the last part of the movie best though. The movie had a decent mystery, though I could do with a little more.

As much as I hate the DB, I didn't find them too annoying throughout movie 15. And the snowball fight scene was interesting because they actually made Conan and Haibara act like a first grader.

But the whole plot didn't catch my attention at all, I found it boring to be honest. Although, I did like the ending.

• Upvote 1

Negative aspects :

-too many pointless scenes (with the DB) : let's go shopping, let's go eat something, let's have a snowball fight, let's have the DB get lost and saved by Conan to fill 10 minutes of the movie (why do a 110 minute movie instead of a 90 minute movie ?). Because of that, the case takes too long to begin despite the action sequence at the beginning (it took 52 minutes for someone to die !). In fact the movie is very DB orientated which most of you/us will not like.

-some repetitiveness in the use of some tracks.

-the secondary characters felt a bit flat.

-the case was rather average, if not boring at times.

'Positive' aspects :

-top-notch animation, as usual.

-the music overall is still quite good, especially during the action sequences.

-ok use of humour, or at least better than 14's.

-quite emotional in the end.

-the action scenes were handled quite well.

-not too much fanservice. And the little the movie had didn't feel forced.

-at least there was some kind of case...

Overall, I would rank it under movies 1-5 and 12 and above movies 6-8, 10-11 + 13-14. It's still an average movie at best.

wow ... i wonder what's your work ??? cuz you appeal to me a very good critic :)

well ... i think it was good but the case wasn't that hard ... i mean the murderer was quite obvious from the beginning but i have to admit that i loved the last part when she called Shinichi .. :) and still the 4th movie is my top One ... :D

This movie was better than most of the recent ones by far. And of course, I loved Conan defying gravity. :rolleyes:

First part wasn't amazing, but I didn't feel it was bad. There was a lot of the DB, but they weren't overly annoying. I did like the last part of the movie best though. The movie had a decent mystery, though I could do with a little more.

I agree completely