Detective Conan World
Antiyonder

Who here if any discovered that Vermouth disguised as Araide?

Now me, I got into the Detective Conan series when it came to the US as Case Closed. By then Vermouth had been revealed to have been disguising as Dr. Araide, where before hand it seemed like she was posing as an English Teacher.

Now of course her page does contain bits in the story which foreshadowed the truth, but who here actually figured it out before the manga revealed it? And for that matter how did you figure it out.

Wait, wha? Vermouth was disguised as Araide? huh.gif

I'm totally kidding. tongue.gif

I'm not really sure if I found that out. I probably had a few shades of doubt, but back then, Detective Conan was on the back burner on my list of priorities, so I didn't pay much, if any, attention.

I don't think that's really possible.

There are only two times that gave me the slightest suspicions, one would've been The Bus Incident

Haibara felt that 'presence'

But during that time Jodie's identity wasn't revealed yet and most people would've assumed that she'd be a BO member. Not only that but Vermouth and Jodie do look fairly similar. So suspecting Araide of all people at that time? Nah. The second thing that was iffy was that this was GOSHO. We should know that Gosho is a teaser and with his love of mystery 'Red Herring' traps aren't surprising. But still that's only if you truly have doubts. Most people wouldn't have. I didn't at least. But if anyone DID suspect him and figured it out before the truth before it was unveiled, be my guest to explain to me how that all worked, you can have my cap as well as admiration too :V

I don't think that's really possible.

There are only two times that gave me the slightest suspicions, one would've been The Bus Incident

Haibara felt that 'presence'

But during that time Jodie's identity wasn't revealed yet and most people would've assumed that she'd be a BO member. Not only that but Vermouth and Jodie do look fairly similar. So suspecting Araide of all people at that time? Nah. The second thing that was iffy was that this was GOSHO. We should know that Gosho is a teaser and with his love of mystery 'Red Herring' traps aren't surprising. But still that's only if you truly have doubts. Most people wouldn't have. I didn't at least. But if anyone DID suspect him and figured it out before the truth before it was unveiled, be my guest to explain to me how that all worked, you can have my cap as well as admiration too :V

Perhaps, but some posters in the threads trying to guess on Okiya, Scar Akai and whether Akai has died or not, stated that Gosho doesn't make the mysteries completely unsolveable and even pointed to the topic mystery as an example. And on the Vermouth article, the following bits seemed to be produced for the intent of giving readers a (slim) chance to figure it out. Said clues:

1. The records of Kogoro Mouri's cases that Vermouth stole did not contain any cases involving Jodie Saintemillion, but did the contain the murder case Tomoaki Araide was involved in. This was the clue that allowed Conan to deduce Araide was Vermouth.

2. Jodie's copies of the pictures of Ran and Conan on Vermouth's dart have irregular borders indicating they were photographs of Vermouth's pictures. (Volume 34: #File 343 - Who Are You?) This detail was overlooked in the anime. Also Jodie has a picture of Dr. Araide.

3. Araide switches from the basketball to the drama club. (Volume 27: #File 270 - Game Start)

4. Haibara skipped school on the day of the yearly health checkups that Dr. Araide gives the elementary school students. Conan wonders if Haibara thinks there is something wrong with Araide. (Volume 29: #File 287 The Unseen Horror)

5. Vermouth falls out of character. One of her patients says Dr. Araide has been acting like a stranger. Also, "Dr. Araide" claims to have sent his grandmother and housekeeper Hikaru ahead to Aomori, which is strange because it was established in the Araide family murder case (Volume 24: #File 235 - In the Darkness...) that Araide didn't trust them (especially Hikaru) to take care of themselves. (Volume 35: #File 355 - Mystery of the Haunted House 1)

I had an idea... There were a few clues dropped. That said, I wasn't really trying to deduce anything... And even now I'm not really deducing anything, because school is taking up substantial time for me, which will only get worse :( So in short, I had the idea, that Vermouth was Aride, but I never made a solid deduction like Chek did nor did I post or take notes like I normally do with mysteries....

For the record... I never did once think that Jodie was Vermouth or anything of the sort. The cool kid/guy tipped me off to that one.

Perhaps, but some posters in the threads trying to guess on Okiya, Scar Akai and whether Akai has died or not, stated that Gosho doesn't make the mysteries completely unsolveable and even pointed to the topic mystery as an example. And on the Vermouth article, the following bits seemed to be produced for the intent of giving readers a (slim) chance to figure it out. Said clues:

1. The records of Kogoro Mouri's cases that Vermouth stole did not contain any cases involving Jodie Saintemillion, but did the contain the murder case Tomoaki Araide was involved in. This was the clue that allowed Conan to deduce Araide was Vermouth.

2. Jodie's copies of the pictures of Ran and Conan on Vermouth's dart have irregular borders indicating they were photographs of Vermouth's pictures. (Volume 34: #File 343 - Who Are You?) This detail was overlooked in the anime. Also Jodie has a picture of Dr. Araide.

3. Araide switches from the basketball to the drama club. (Volume 27: #File 270 - Game Start)

4. Haibara skipped school on the day of the yearly health checkups that Dr. Araide gives the elementary school students. Conan wonders if Haibara thinks there is something wrong with Araide. (Volume 29: #File 287 The Unseen Horror)

5. Vermouth falls out of character. One of her patients says Dr. Araide has been acting like a stranger. Also, "Dr. Araide" claims to have sent his grandmother and housekeeper Hikaru ahead to Aomori, which is strange because it was established in the Araide family murder case (Volume 24: #File 235 - In the Darkness...) that Araide didn't trust them (especially Hikaru) to take care of themselves. (Volume 35: #File 355 - Mystery of the Haunted House 1)

Hmph. Maybe I'm just not that sharp :P

I've overlooked practically all of those, or well knew about it, but didn't think hard enough. Thanks you for the explanation of the possibilities ^^

Yeah, I'm not the deducing type myself, but with some of the people who've been debating on the aforementioned mysteries, I figured that some of the fandom might have solved it. And hey I got one response stating that they did, with another coming close.

For the record... I never did once think that Jodie was Vermouth or anything of the sort. The cool kid/guy tipped me off to that one.

Maybe it's the English translation or my lack of observation, but what do you mean? Did Vermouth call him Cool Guy while Jodie called him Cool Kid?

Maybe it's the English translation or my lack of observation, but what do you mean? Did Vermouth call him Cool Guy while Jodie called him Cool Kid?

Jodie called Conan "cool guy" once, then switched to "cool kid" afterwards. It was a hint Jodie wasn't Vermouth after the NY case when you figured out Vermouth knew Conan was Shinichi and was grateful which is why she hadn't spilled his identity to the BO.

The version that was published in my country at that time was very poorly translated.

They changed the whole dialogues and replaced them with some crappy sentences from nowhere. Every important clues was damaged. They made Jodie talks things that only Vermouth knows, and also the other way around (because they thought that those two were the same person so it "didn't really matter"). They made Haibara concluding that Jodie was Vermouth from the beginning, while the original dialogue was something else. They even changed Vermouth's inner thought so it matched the fact that she's Jodie. Therefore every single person in my country was seriously mislead.

When Vol. 42 was published, everyone (including me) was really shocked and thought that Gosho Aoyama had made the serious plot-hole ever, and most people started to hate Gosho and decided not to read Conan afterwards; thus created a bad effect on the series. They'd had no idea that it was the translators' fault, until the Conan manga & anime were uploaded online. Yet nowadays there're still a few people who have no idea and still blame Gosho.

Even after countless times re-published, the press still made the same mistakes.

Thankfully that the newest Conan manga series today is much more well translated.

The version that was published in my country at that time was very poorly translated.

They changed the whole dialogues and replaced them with some crappy sentences from nowhere. Every important clues was damaged. They made Jodie talks things that only Vermouth knows, and also the other way around (because they thought that those two were the same person so it "didn't really matter"). They made Haibara concluding that Jodie was Vermouth from the beginning, while the original dialogue was something else. They even changed Vermouth's inner thought so it matched the fact that she's Jodie. Therefore every single person in my country was seriously mislead.

When Vol. 42 was published, everyone (including me) was really shocked and thought that Gosho Aoyama had made the seriously plot-hole ever, and most people started to hate Gosho and decided not to read Conan afterwards; thus created a bad effect on the series. They'd had no idea that it was the translators' fault, until the Conan manga & anime were uploaded online. Yet nowadays there're still a few people who have no idea and still blame Gosho.

Even after countless times re-published, the press still made the same mistakes.

Thankfully that the newest Conan manga series today is much more well translated.

That's terrible. No sense of pride in their work.

That's terrible. No sense of pride in their work.

Exactly. It is not a very nice thing to put examples here, so I didn't. But if you want, I can PM you some of the most ridiculous things that were "translated" back then...

They did some mistakes in the translation here as well, so it was even harder :

-Volume 38 : Takagi says that all the files were stolen and brought back except the one concerning the bus case, which is obviously wrong because Kogoro wasn't even there. The right translation is that the files were stolen the day the bus case took place.

-Volume 42 : Vodka talks about Gin's brother having given poison to Kudo. They probably mistranslated the aniki stuff.

-Volume 42 : Jodie mentions the funeral of her own mother when speaking about Vermouth, which is nonsense once again.

-Volume 42 : When Vermouth mentions Sherry's parents, it's implied that they're still alive since she says something like 'your parents have picked up their stupid researches once again'.

Thankfully, they edited all that when new editions came out.

• Upvote 1

I only had suspicions about Araide-sensei (like the fact that Haibara always felt uneasy near him). So the idea that he is somehow involved with the BO popped up in my head. It wasn't until he started following Haibara (Conan) in Jodie's car that I even considered the possibility of Araide being Vermouth.

5. Vermouth falls out of character. One of her patients says Dr. Araide has been acting like a stranger.

sorry but i can't find the patient who said this. In file 355 it's not said

"5. Vermouth falls out of character. One of her patients says Dr. Araide has been acting like a stranger."

"5. Vermouth falls out of character. One of her patients says Dr. Araide has been acting like a stranger."

In Manga Volume 35, File 5 (355), pg 6: "The Haunted House's Mystery 1" there is the following line of dialogue.

Araide (Vermouth): Otonashi-san! Didn't I tell you not to come here again?

Otonashi: It won't happen, even if you act like a stranger. I've decided you'll be the doctor to cure me in this life.