Detective Conan World
Stopwatch

File 793-??? (Private Eye)

New detective...  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Amuro Tooru: Red Herring or not?

2. 2. Who was the culprit behind Kamon Hatsune's death?

• Banba Raita: Good for nothing to-be-husband
    • Amuro Tooru
    • Haruka Sanji: Sketchy guy in sunglasses
    • One of the other waitstaff
    • It was a suicide
    • I was an accident
    • Someone else
    • I am going to vote later, I promise, because Chekhov is watching me and will disapprove if I don't vote later.
    • Raita and Sanji worked together. Raita did the murder.
    • Raita and Sanji worked together. Sanji did the murder.

My current thoughts on the case:

did anyone notice the sunglasses guy gave Banba a signal, when he said "ok". I'm guessing those two worked together somehow. I'm assuming the sunglasses guy helped investigate Banba's wife as well. This may have started when his wife hired a detective, and they both were suspicious of one another. Banba probably killed his own wife by calling her and telling her to do something and sunglasses set up the bomb. Maybe his wife placed his dna under her own nail but they must have a more complicated history than we know, the same "situation". Maybe something shady for this Amuro character to come into play. Although its too soon to make out the complete story of what is happening.

A spoiler is out already? :blink:

Spoilerama courtesy the awesome Zenthisoror for the DCTP spoiler cbox!

Title: DNA Tests

Banba: "A detective? That's so weird! Why the hell are you dressed like a waiter?"

Amuro: "I asked Hatsune to choose the restaurant where I was being employed...in order to observe your behaviour. She'd asked me to investigate whether there was a chance you were involved with some woman, with you being as you are. That's why I dropped the cake on purpose."

"I dropped the cake on you in the hope that you'd be too embarrassed to approach a woman...as it turned out, you got along pretty well with them without any sign of embarrassment whatsoever...anyway, far from being able to carry out my work... Hatsune herself has been burnt to death...but as for the situation I was investigating, perhaps he in the sunglasses will be able to shed some light on this? After all, he just happened to be there during the report on the progress so far of preliminary investigations..."

Megure: "Who are you?!"

Amuro: "My guess is that he's a detective...he'd been employed by Banba to find out who his girlfriend had been meeting in secret lately...he managed to work out the secret meeting place, but the man she was meeting was wearing a hat and a hoodie and his face wasn't discernible...and then he realized that the voice of that hooded man was similar to that of me, a waiter."

"That is why he called me over to make his order, to check my voice...and then by some signal or other he indicated to Banba that I and Hastune's secret visitor were one and the same person. Just beforehand, he called Banba out to the toilet so that he could warn him that said mystery gentleman might just possibly be inside the restaurant...and that he was now going to investigate further. Isn't that so?"

Haruoka: "In...in...indeed! To think that you were a detective...I tried to follow you and got thoroughly put down."

Takagi: "But, you were going to marry her, knowing that she was seeing somebody else?"

Mouri: "Wouldn't you normally ask the lady herself?"

Banba: "Haruoka told me that she hadn't seen the guy since that one meeting, and I thought she'd turn on me if she found out I'd been investigating her! We're really close, after all, we trusted each other enough to tell each other that we were both adopted as kids..."

Mouri: "If you'd asked me, I would have revealed this guy to be a detective straight away!"

Banba: "But you're too famous now. Everybody knows your face...and I was hoping to introduce you later to Hatsune."

Mouri: "But if you'd left it to me....You know, she might've committed suicide because this guy told her on the phone about your loutish behaviour..."

Amuro: "I didn't say anything about that."

Banba: "She said goodbye. She was crying..."

He shows the inspector his phone record at 8:54pm. The 110 call occurred at 9:21pm... Megure makes a comment about the thirty minute gap between the incident and the call...

Ran: "That's because we tried to call the ambulance and fire brigade first and that was more of a hassle than we anticipated... but by the time the ambulance arrived....the fire inside of the car was apparently completely out of control..."

Conan ponders on why the car was burning in such an extravagant manner...Ran tells him that every now and again there had been some smaller explosions... Takagi explains that that was probably due to the large bulk of aerosols, paper and cardboard inside the car. Megure asks Banba why they'd had these items. Banba replies that after the party the two of them had been planning to stencil their car with spray paint. Then they'd turn up to the wedding in it, and surprise everybody.

Banba: "If you think I'm lying look at my mail. There's a message saying we'd got together all the items we needed."

Megure looks at the "I'll be back in 30 mins" message from the nail salon, and starts saying that Banba knew about the inflammable materials in the car and what time she'd be coming back to the restaurant....and the skin sample under the nail was a pretty close match...so you could possibly...he theorizes...

Amuro: "You say pretty close...but it's possible that with the rain and the dirt...unless you're a relative, a near match would basically indicate..."

Amuro casts a glance of suspicion in Banba's direction.

Banba: "What?!"

He starts to throw himself at Amuro, but Amuro steps lightly out of the way and says (perhaps with exaggeration),

Amuro: "Please stop...."

Mouri calms down Banba whilst Conan notices something on the sole of one of Banba's shoe.

Conan: "Hmm? So how did he..."

Banba agrees to a more exact DNA test and goes off with Takagi.

Conan: "Well, once we get a proper result things will become a little clearer...we can start thinking about the trick after that."

Ran: "But DNA tests are pretty incredible, aren't they?"

Conan: "Yeah, I guess they are."

Ran: "I mean, if somebody changed their entire appearance, you'd still be able to tell who they are..."

Conan: "Ye...Yeah..."

Takagi tells Megure that the key to the case might be the one door from the back of the shop into the carpark. If somebody had gone in and out of the front entrance, somebody would remember... You could also get to the carpark by getting out of the toilet... Underneath the window there's a huge puddle of water...if somebody had gone through that there ought to be some footprints inside... There's nobody in the shop with dirty hems or shoes... Later, they talk about how windy it was the time of the crime...and how Hatsune's umbrella had been blown away to the other end of the car park...

Conan: "The wind? True...it was rather windy when we arrived at the shop..."

Megure gathers the two detectives, Haruka and Amuro.

Megure: "Do you know of any disputes? Any worries that were dire enough to push somebody towards suicide?"

Haruoka: "Hmm, not really. Banba was a bit shocked when I told him she'd met a man....more recently, I think he was concerned about these mysterious phone calls she'd been covertly making to somebody...although, she was probably just talking to this here person..."

Amuro: "Ah...no...my communication with her was entirely by mail...in terms of face to face meetings, the one time was the one you observed...however, there was one time when her face seemed to cloud over briefly... I'd been investigating Banba and I found out that she and he had both been rescued from a burning hotel...and they'd been raised without knowledge of their parentage in a church community... "

Conan: "Eh?"

Megure: "So the two of them both lost their parents in the fire?"

"Probably...the two of them were babies at the time."

Megure: "So the two were childhood friends?"

Amuro: "No...he found a foster family straight away...she stayed at the church for a bit longer..."

Megure: "But why would that make Hatsune suddenly grim?"

Amuro: "Who knows? She said she'd continue that line of investigation herself."

Conan: "Hey, Ran-neesan? Hatsune's height...she was little shorter than you wasn't she?"

Ran: "Yes...but she was wearing high heeled boots so she might have only been about 150cm."

Conan: "The average height for a woman is about 159 isn't it?"

Chiba confirms that the corpse is lacking one false nail. Conan runs outside and asks the crime scene investigators where they'd found Hatsune's umbrella. At that spot, the tyres and car bodies act as rainshields and so the ground is hardly dirty at all... Conan finds a false nail there, with some blood and skin on its tip and he tells the investigator.

Conan: "If I'm not mistaken...this should make everything clear...who took away her life...and...if everything is as I have deduced... (he glances at Banba) a sorrowful truth will be revealed, on the eve of a wedding...one which it would have been better not to have known."

Done!

• Upvote 2

I wonder if Conan is going to blow it in this case? Unless he starts picking up weird vibes from this Amuro guy, Conan tends not to hide his intelligence that well. Amuro could take very serious interest in Kogoro/Conan after this. (if he is this Bourbon) It would be nice to see someone seriously go after Conan for a change.

I WISH!!

Conan barely did anything worthy of attention until the end. I have a feeling Conan is just going to give one or two minor leading hints and Amuro is going to steal the show instead of Conan using the bowtie and tranquilizer on Kogoro. If it is that way, Conan wouldn't do anything too bad in front of Amuro, even though I want Conan to mess up.

*Wishes Conan would dart Amuro instead of Kogoro*

Also Ran showed some interest in the DNA testing. She seems suspicious but hiding it. I wonder if she wants to DNA test Conan and Shinichi...

I wonder how this case will play out. With Ran seeming suspicious of Conan(which i always thought she may be)and this Amuro character, plot seems to be taking front stage. I hope Conan messes up and as well chek, and start getting investigated by Amuro, Ran, and Sera. That will be interesting. I wonder how will Ran get a DNA test of Conan from. I don't think Takagi will give her an honest answer if she uses him.

about the spoiler

this is turning out to be interesting. I think the bride and groom are related, and this case is related to that childhood fire. Maybe she knew he was going to try and kill her, explaining sayonara, and the placement of the nail. Thanks for posting the spoiler Chek :grin:

According to the spoiler....

It seems that Amuro is just an amateur detective, not a professional one, since his official job is being a waiter. Therefore, it is likely that he doesn't have a detective agency at all...

And I also wonder whether Ran is really suspecting Conan's identity or not. Because if she does, it would be much wiser not to tell him about the DNA thing, and "investigate" on her own (not sure how she's gonna do that though).

This case surely is interesting...... with this new detective turning up. I don't know why but, I've got a feeling that he is gonna use Sera as a bait to catch Akai in the near future.....

eeh, I can't wait! Everytime when I see the Chinese scan I start waiting the translation even more!!! But I still wanna know the pages beforehand... :P

I'm pretty sure Amuro antagonized the guy to make him him angry enough to attack so that Amuro could dodge/trip him in order to see the bottom of his shoes. Quite a manipulative guy, this Amuro; he's on par with Conan.

Amuro is surely a guy to watch out for! He is surely gonna stalk on the Mouri Detective Agency.

Most likely. I can imagine him to do so in the same side-street than Akai was in vol...34?

Ok... At the end of the newest file... I can only think "No, Gosho is NOT doing that." If he is... it is SO CLICHED! I am REALLY hoping its not...

Here is what I think... The Bride and Groom were siblings. That is the reason for the approximate match. The skin samples under the nail were probably hers. The detective was wrong in what he said about the DNA. DNA is very resilient and so is hair. You can do just about anything to it and everything will remain in tact. That is why hair analysis is one of the most popular ways to ID people in forensics. Naturally, they go nondestructive first and only do DNA analysis as a last resort. However, rain and dirt are not enough to denature or damage the DNA, unless the rain had a powerful alkali or acid in it that destroyed the DNA, but that would have prevented the PCR from working and gotten no results at all. Again... all this is used for GOOD reason.

Now on that matter, and if I am right, then Gosho messed up (to me at least). The DNA sample they would have used would have been from the hair and the skin sample would be mitochondrial DNA, as that is the ONLY DNA found in hair samples unless the root is perfectly in tact and was abruptly pulled out (so basically you are getting cells from the living root), since that doesn't happen mtDNA would have to be used in the analysis. If they are siblings, that would be an EXACT match, not an approximate match because mtDNA is passed down from the mother, and is identical. If they used nuclear DNA there it would be an approximate match from the two samples. However since that cannot be the case... Gosho simply messed up, either because of lack of knowledge or because it suited his purposes.

As for the murder... Yeah... the Groom likely did it, or he is returning to the suicide looks like a murder thing like he did way back when in the beginning. But that would be the sad case part, that the two were actually long lost siblings. It annoys me and is horribly cliched. He didn't know they were related, she did, killed her for [insert stupid reason here] and breaks down crying for not having known or she killer herself and same result ensues...

@Chek: Yeah, but the problem is that Ran needs a reliable source of Shinichi's DNA, which I'm not sure she has. It would be easier for her to find a print in Shinichi's home and compare it to Conan's. However that does seem to be the direction that Gosho is leading us in... God this is too simple... I think Gosho is really setting up the end game, or so I hope...

Final note about Gosho annoying me about the DNA thing... HOW THE HELL DID THEY GET THE RESULTS SO FAST?! DNA testing takes HOURS IF there is no back log in the DNA testing lab. It takes at minimum 8 hours to do! There is no way they got the DNA THAT fast. Damn it! This is why I hate mystery shows that try to use fake science >< (And is the reason I cannot watch CSI)

• Upvote 2

i have to agree with KYUU. it's horrably cliche' . i've seen that plot quite a few times in other anime.

i wasn't sure about the DNA thing. i'm and Art and Architecture major. i know nothing on DNA annalysis or foresics. yo'd have to ask my younger sister who is in collage for Forensic Study