Detective Conan World
Moonlight Magician

SCIENCE!

A mini ice age is predicted to occur in 15 or so years. According to scientists the sun will "go to sleep" in 2030 causing temperatures to dramatically decrease. The last time this happened was back between the years 1646 - 1715. It doesn't sound like this'll have horrible consequences though so it's probably not anything to freak out about unless you hate the cold. 

article here

Apologies for the double post but it's been over a month and I really want to bring this thread back,,

Stephen Hawking recently shared his new theory about black holes. Here's a really nice ELI5 post explaining it in layman's terms.

article here: x

Recently the sumatran rhino was declared extinct in the wild in Malaysia. In total there are less than 100 sumatran rhinos living in the wild. There is a number of them living in captivity though and one of them is named Harapan. Harapan's currently the only sumatran rhino on display at a zoo and, though not for much longer, is currently the only one in the western hemisphere. He's currently living at the Cincinnati Zoo. Due to the sumatran rhino's low numbers though, before the end of the year he'll be sent to the Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary in Indonesia so he can find a mate. There currently isn't a date for when he'll be leaving the States but the Sanctuary is pushing for it to happen sometime this fall. 

articles: x x

Apologies for the double post but it's been over a month and I really want to bring this thread back,,

Stephen Hawking recently shared his new theory about black holes. Here's a really nice ELI5 post explaining it in layman's terms.

article here: x

Recently the sumatran rhino was declared extinct in the wild in Malaysia. In total there are less than 100 sumatran rhinos living in the wild. There is a number of them living in captivity though and one of them is named Harapan. Harapan's currently the only sumatran rhino on display at a zoo and, though not for much longer, is currently the only one in the western hemisphere. He's currently living at the Cincinnati Zoo. Due to the sumatran rhino's low numbers though, before the end of the year he'll be sent to the Sumatran Rhino Sanctuary in Indonesia so he can find a mate. There currently isn't a date for when he'll be leaving the States but the Sanctuary is pushing for it to happen sometime this fall. 

articles: x x

Hmmm... interesting theory about Black Holes actually leaving evidences of what they are gobbling up. Kinda still hard to understand xD Only thing I know about black hole is they suck in whatever is within past their event horizon :P

===

I always thought that Rhinos were already extinct :P Seems like I was wrong and there are actually few still living under some subspecies.

Call me cold hearted or ruthless or whatever, but if we aren't the cause of the extinction the Rhinos, I really do believe that we should just let them go extinct and let nature take it's course.

I always thought that Rhinos were already extinct :P Seems like I was wrong and there are actually few still living under some subspecies.

Call me cold hearted or ruthless or whatever, but if we aren't the cause of the extinction the Rhinos, I really do believe that we should just let them go extinct and let nature take it's course.

Whaat  :blink: have you never been to a zoo and seen rhinos? 

Some subspecies are doing ok (but not great) like white rhinos and Indiana rhinos, but black rhinos, Javan rhinos, and Sumatran rhinos aren't doing well and are threatened or endangered. 

The main threat (tiny gore warning for the link) to rhinos is humans actually because, like elephants, they're hunted for their ivory/whatever rhino's have since it's apparently not ivory. Surely nature does have a least some part to do with it but they as a species wouldn't be in such a position if poaching wasn't as widespread. (as far as I know , only one rhino subspecies is extinct and that's the western black rhino and its extinction is being blamed on poachers.) I recently saw an idea that to prevent elephants from being killed, their tusks would be injected with a dye that would devalue their tusks and therefore make them not worth killing. The idea has been criticized as being near impossible to actually pull off which is unfortunate. Maybe if they focused on doing that in areas where poaching is a big problem it could work though.

Whaat  :blink: have you never been to a zoo and seen rhinos? 

Some subspecies are doing ok (but not great) like white rhinos and Indiana rhinos, but black rhinos, Javan rhinos, and Sumatran rhinos aren't doing well and are threatened or endangered. 

The main threat (tiny gore warning for the link) to rhinos is humans actually because, like elephants, they're hunted for their ivory/whatever rhino's have since it's apparently not ivory. Surely nature does have a least some part to do with it but they as a species wouldn't be in such a position if poaching wasn't as widespread. (as far as I know , only one rhino subspecies is extinct and that's the western black rhino and its extinction is being blamed on poachers.) I recently saw an idea that to prevent elephants from being killed, their tusks would be injected with a dye that would devalue their tusks and therefore make them not worth killing. The idea has been criticized as being near impossible to actually pull off which is unfortunate. Maybe if they focused on doing that in areas where poaching is a big problem it could work though.

I've been in a zoo. lol. It's just that we don't have Rhinos here only elephants.

I guess we're responsible for the endangerement of some Rhino subspecies. I know that poachers are hunting down elephants for their ivorys but I never knew that the same thing is being done on our unicorn friends. Also, never thought that poaching for ivorys are that super widespread that it's causing extinctions already. I mean the only use for Ivorys that I can think of is those tribal looking like Horns but I dunno there's probably more use to it other than that :P

Hmmm... yeah, it sounds a great idea but as the article cites that it's somewhat costly (and no one wants to pay a sum amount of money for that) and it's kinda hard to do, especially that it's elephants that we are talking about. Can't we apply it on Rhinos tho? they are way smaller and easier to tranquilize.

I've been in a zoo. lol. It's just that we don't have Rhinos here only elephants.

I guess we're responsible for the endangerement of some Rhino subspecies. I know that poachers are hunting down elephants for their ivorys but I never knew that the same thing is being done on our unicorn friends. Also, never thought that poaching for ivorys are that super widespread that it's causing extinctions already. I mean the only use for Ivorys that I can think of is those tribal looking like Horns but I dunno there's probably more use to it other than that :P

Hmmm... yeah, it sounds a great idea but as the article cites that it's somewhat costly (and no one wants to pay a sum amount of money for that) and it's kinda hard to do, especially that it's elephants that we are talking about. Can't we apply it on Rhinos tho? they are way smaller and easier to tranquilize.

Really? D: I thought rhinos were one of those things all zoos had. 

I don't know if this also applies to ivory or not (I doubt it does but maybe some of their uses to cross over somewhere down the line) but the first link says rhinos's horns are being poached so they can be used mainly for medicinal uses in China, Vietnam, and apparently some people in the West (didn't clarify where in the West) think it can be used as a sexual stimulant too. 

Poaching's one of those things where unless the animal lives in a protected area, it has a chance of being targeted :/ And if poaches kill off all the adults in a herd and all the babies die because they can't take care of themselves, that's a huge blow to a species's numbers especially if that's happening in multiple areas constantly. It's definitely one of the bigger, most widespread threats to elephants/rhinos. 

The main problem with the idea of dyeing animal tusks/horns is that the group/person who thought up the idea is still trying to figure out how to make a dye that would be long lasting, wouldn't hurt the animal, and also wouldn't be too costly to make since they'd need to dye tens if not hundreds of thousands of animals's tusks/horns. Hopefully if/once they do figure out a dye that would be effective, they'll have the money to be able to go out and stain enough tusks/horns. As you said, since rhinos are smaller maybe they'll at least be able to help them even though their plan is focused on saving elephants. You also have to wonder if since horns and tusks are two different materials if the dye would only work on one or the other but not both.

I'm poking this because apparently machine wants to add something to the discussion, but to make my poke seem like less of a spam post, I'll try my hand at contributing something scientific.

e31.gif

^This is how I thought physics worked.  Must be why I failed all my tests.

.......... I tried, but I think I might have made it even worse....

Edit: Oooh, never mind, this is better:

HM9iFnU.jpg

tumblr_nj1azffB4h1t5oqd4o1_500.gif

#TeamArt4Life (even though I couldn't play Splatoon because it's with my brother...)

Edited by Akazora

(thank you!)

More pictures of Pluto were released recently and stitched together to create a smoother, larger image, These ones were taken by the New Horizons and are a lot more detailed than previous photos we've seen. Though the pictures are a lot better quality, it's a little disappointing they're in black and white especially since we now know that Pluto is sorta copper colored and not gray. But considering just how far those images have traveled, it's hard to complain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgl9jJUzITg

And on the topic of space, a group of guys made a to scale model of the solar system out in Nevada on a dry lakebed. It gives measurements and everything too and it's overall pretty cool and puts things into perspective. (Unfortunately, they don't include Pluto in the video though </3) The video has gotten quite a bit of acknowledgment since it was updated just a few days ago so sorry if you've already seen it,, , ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR3Igc3Rhfg

More things happened! 

A new type of dinosaur was found up in Alaska. It is the northernmost dinosaur ever discovered, was 30ft long, and was duck-billed. It's been named "Ugrunaaluk kuukpikensis" which means "ancient grazer of the Colville River" Scientists are still trying to figure out just how those dinosaurs were able to survive up there. (x)

Humans are now proven to have auras... well sort of. They're a little more gross than spiritual in this case. But everyone has their own little "cloud" that follows them around and is unique to them. It consists of microbes, fungus, and dead skin cells. You also leave little bits of it behind on things you touch. And you can tell what sex a person is by what's in their "aura"  This is fairly new information and not a lot of research on our microbiomes has been done yet. Scientists are hoping that knowing more about microbiomes and what roles they play could potentially help figure out a way to regulate and prevent airborne diseases. (x)

Edited by machine

So, just heard that NASA confirmed that Water exists on mars, as real flowing water this time not just ice. Artcle here and here. As the article said, this increases the chances of microorganisms existing in mars since as we all currently know, water is one of the ingredient of life.

The MacArthur Foundation announced the 24 winners of its annual Genius Grants yesterday, as shown here: https://www.macfound.org/fellows/class/2015/

Every year, $625,000 is given to a select number of "geniuses" nationwide (why isn't this a worldwide thing?) with no strings attached. 

The selection decisions focus primarily on exceptional creativity, as demonstrated through a track record of significant achievement, and manifest promise for important future advances. Emphasis is placed on nominees for whom our support would relieve limitations that inhibit them from pursuing their most innovative ideas. The MacArthur Fellowship is not a lifetime achievement award; we are looking for individuals on the precipice of great discovery or a game-changing idea. Recipients must also be citizens or residents of the United States and must not hold elective office or advanced positions in government as defined by statute. - See more at: https://www.macfound.org/fellows-faq/#sthash.SU80JmbO.dpuf

If this isn't inspirational, I don't know what is. Some of them are commentators on our lives on Earth, while others are innovators who aspire to find a way to harmonize our presence with the environment. These individuals are all doing something incredible and good for the world, and the recognition they receive with these Genius Grants only serve as a reminder that they are only 24 of a far larger pool of incredible and good people. *mindblow*

I love this article: http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_magazine/previous_issues/articles/2012_03_23/caredit.a1200033

Don't click until after you've read it:

May be a bit nerdy of me, but I was laughing hysterically when I first read it. Put it in spoilers because I didn't want to be responsible for you not laughing after you realize it's not as funny as I made it out to be :P 

I love this article: http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_magazine/previous_issues/articles/2012_03_23/caredit.a1200033

Don't click until after you've read it:

May be a bit nerdy of me, but I was laughing hysterically when I first read it. Put it in spoilers because I didn't want to be responsible for you not laughing after you realize it's not as funny as I made it out to be :P 

It's actually funny haha. :P I really laughed at the Yoda thing some other were moderately funny but still :P

Seriously though, is this like a Satirical stab at Scientist who can't write in a generally understandable way and who are too serious and "boring"? :P Coz, I'll be agreeing with this article then, some people shy away from Science because of this thing lol. They end up thinking it'll be a really "boring", repetitive and unpoetic field.

Relating to that thingy, I've heard a rumour that we tend to be really attracted, physically, to people who somewhat looks like us or somewhat looks like the people whom we grew up with. I dunno if they were true.

It's actually funny haha. :P I really laughed at the Yoda thing some other were moderately funny but still :P

Seriously though, is this like a Satirical stab at Scientist who can't write in a generally understandable way and who are too serious and "boring"? :P Coz, I'll be agreeing with this article then, some people shy away from Science because of this thing lol. They end up thinking it'll be a really "boring", repetitive and unpoetic field.

Yup, the whole thing's satire. It's not like scientists are supposed to have a minor in liberal arts or whatever, but convoluted writing is the last you'd want when trying to communicate to something to the general public. And considering how often the science curriculum stresses on the importance of precise writing is to STEM fields, it's ironic to see the "top" brains in the world still live up to the stereotypes..

A new giant tortoise species was identified on one of the Galapagos islands. The tortoises were assumed to be just a variance of the one species of tortoises that lived close by, but a closer look reveals that they're actually quite different (genetically speaking mostly)! These tortoises are actually pretty rare too as there's only about 250 of them that reside on the island. Like a lot of other tortoises, these guys can also live to be 100+ years old.

x x

494254-f902a6be-7867-11e5-b642-5d72264fd

the whole thing about passive voice in scientific reports is actually something that's bothered me for a bit. the whole bit about semi-passive voice was super silly, though, so the net seriousness was zero.

So, just heard that NASA confirmed that Water exists on mars, as real flowing water this time not just ice. Artcle here and here. As the article said, this increases the chances of microorganisms existing in mars since as we all currently know, water is one of the ingredient of life.

as a stalwart believer in the great filter, that is incredibly distressing news.