Detective Conan World
Moonlight Magician

SCIENCE!

(put in spoilers to save space)

The mobius strip was one of my favorite concepts that was taught back in middle school. As for the interview you had, I'd love to read more about it if you don't mind sharing.

Also, that Klein bottle reminds me of that one conversation our physics teacher had with the class (seemingly unrelated to the current subject at hand though). Three dimensional creatures cannot comprehend the fourth dimension. Similar to how two dimensional creatures would not be able to comprehend the third dimension. It's impossible. But once you think about certain paradoxes--the Klein bottle, for example--it makes you question ideas like this, doesn't it, haha,

I vote for this.

The first color pictures of Pluto and its largest moon came out recently. The picture's really blurry and doesn't look like much but considering just how far away Pluto is, it's pretty amazing we're able to see what it (sorta) looks like 

article: x

The first color pictures of Pluto and its largest moon came out recently. The picture's really blurry and doesn't look like much but considering just how far away Pluto is, it's pretty amazing we're able to see what it (sorta) looks like 

It looks so cool:D I really wonder what pluto looks like close up and also the compositions of it.

Anyways, This year is gonna be a big year for astronomy. Pretty much, three major spacecrafts approaching/already on heavenly bodies right now, Dawn Spacecraft on Ceres, Rosetta spacecraft on I-dunno-comet :P and New Horizons on Pluto.

Just google them if you guys wanna know more. I only linked the wikipedia page.

Just saw the news and rushed over here to post about, but damn you beat me to it.  Gotta go fast, after all.

A new glass frog species was found in Costa Rica recently. The interesting part is that the frog's stomach is transparent so you can see some of their organs and stuff. And a lot of people have been saying that the new frog species kinda looks likes Kermit haha. 

27AB9ED600000578-0-image-a-82_1429284333

underside of frog under spoiler in case anyone doesn't want to see it (though it's not too graphic)

glass-frog.jpg

Just saw the news and rushed over here to post about, but damn you beat me to it.  Gotta go fast, after all.

007sonic.jpg

A new glass frog species was found in Costa Rica recently. The interesting part is that the frog's stomach is transparent so you can see some of their organs and stuff. And a lot of people have been saying that the new frog species kinda looks likes Kermit haha. 

27AB9ED600000578-0-image-a-82_1429284333

underside of frog under spoiler in case anyone doesn't want to see it (though it's not too graphic)

glass-frog.jpg

007sonic.jpg

The frog looks so friggin cute and yea, it looks like Kermit lol xD We still have a lot of undiscovered species in this world btw. Probably, we will find more weird ones someday. :3

NASA's Messenger probe which had been orbiting Mercury since 2011, but launched in 2004, and sending back thousands of pictures and videos, crashed into Mercury's surface sometime within the past 24 hours as it was out of fuel. It ran out of fuel a couple weeks ago but despite all efforts, it could not be saved. It hit Mercury's surface at about 8,750mph/14,082kph. Unfortunately, it impacted on the side not facing the Earth so we didn't get to see it fall out of orbit nor the crater it created. Messenger is currently the only probe that's orbited Mercury (and the only man-made object to crash there as well). It's mission was overall a success though and it accomplished a lot of things.

CD30SIJWAAAU8w-.jpg

It also sent out this tweet yesterday 

tumblr_nnn0vvy1Jl1qcy1c2o1_400.png

the feels

And this is the last picture it sent back to Earth before it crashed 

HT_messenger_ml_150501_16x9_992.jpg

• Upvote 1

Haha, it's kinda funny that these spacecrafts have their own twitter account and they're like personified or something. :P

From what I can tell a lot of NASA's projects have twitter accounts. The Hubble, Spirit and Opportunity, Dawn, New Horizons, Juno, and the Mars Curiosity all have one (and those are just the ones I was able to find). Whoever runs the Mars Curiosity's twitter really gave that one a personality though. The Curiosity's profile pic's a selfie and it seems to take seflies every once in a while too haha. And it even jokes around with some of the people that respond to it's tweets. (these ones being my favorites: 1 2 3 4 5) In comparison to how exclusively educational/informative the other missions's accounts are handled it's nice seeing a less serious one c:

From what I can tell a lot of NASA's projects have twitter accounts. The Hubble, Spirit and Opportunity, Dawn, New Horizons, Juno, and the Mars Curiosity all have one (and those are just the ones I was able to find). Whoever runs the Mars Curiosity's twitter really gave that one a personality though. The Curiosity's profile pic's a selfie and it seems to take seflies every once in a while too haha. And it even jokes around with some of the people that respond to it's tweets. (these ones being my favorites: 1 2 3 4 5) In comparison to how exclusively educational/informative the other missions's accounts are handled it's nice seeing a less serious one c:

Haha, It's most likely to promote interest in astronomy. :3 NASA is like trying to reach out to the public to get some support by doing some less serious stuffs, as you say, or blending in more.

The scientist I interviewed is currently working on the New Horizons project! He's in charge of testing out/designing a specific function they've implemented on the craft. If I ever stop procrastinating, I might go back over the recording to help myself remember the specifics.

The scientist I interviewed is currently working on the New Horizons project! He's in charge of testing out/designing a specific function they've implemented on the craft. If I ever stop procrastinating, I might go back over the recording to help myself remember the specifics.

Nyayay :P Stop procrastinating and tell us this "specifics" you are talking about :3

That's really cool! I can't imagine what kind of feeling comes along with working on something that gets launched into deep space.

And if/when you go over the interview you did, I'd be interested in hearing the details as well c:

The world has entered its sixth mass extinction according to Stanford University. Animals are dying out 100x faster than the normal rate apparently.

Humans seem to be the main cause of this increase in species going extinct too. What an inconceivable concept amiright???? ??

hooooraaaayyyyyy.

To think we no longer can have our presence graced by creatures such as this giant wombat 

wombat-1_1939100a.jpg

in all seriousness though this is pretty concerning...

The world has entered its sixth mass extinction according to Stanford University. Animals are dying out 100x faster than the normal rate apparently.

Humans seem to be the main cause of this increase in species going extinct too. What an inconceivable concept amiright???? ??

hooooraaaayyyyyy.

To think we no longer can have our presence graced by creatures such as this giant wombat 

wombat-1_1939100a.jpg

in all seriousness though this is pretty concerning...

Meh, it's pretty normal. Happens every something years so I ain't really surprised. But the Human part being the cause, yeah, true. Kinda sad. Makes me question tho what caused the other mass extinctions before.

On a positive note, We, humans, being on top of the food chain is most likely to survive this period which is pretty amazing, just goes to show how collectively intelligent we are and how capable we are on adapting with our environment, never really happened before. Just look at the history of this Cataclysmic event, all of those on top of the food chain, dinos for example, went extinct or evolved into something else after the period.

Haha, so who's more intelligent now? Whales, Dolphins or Humans? xD

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/human-intelligence-versus-whales-and-dolphins/

On a positive note, We, humans, being on top of the food chain is most likely to survive this period which is pretty amazing, just goes to show how collectively intelligent we are and how capable we are on adapting with our environment, never really happened before. Just look at the history of this Cataclysmic event, all of those on top of the food chain, dinos for example, went extinct or evolved into something else after the period.

I'm sorry man, I usually don't like to start with stuff like this because it can be time consuming and a hassle, but I couldn't resist.

Humans are going to survive this 6th mass extinction?  Well, no duh, it's because we're causing it.  Wow, isn't it crazy how the Aryans weren't killed in the Holocaust?  Gee, just goes to show how collectively intelligent and capable they are!  They definitely one-upped dem gypsies and Jews, didn't they?  Us "surviving" has nothing to do with our innate skill or prowess.  Also, this is nothing at all like how the dinosaurs went out.  They were hit by an asteroid that caused worldwide megatsunamis, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and wildfires.  The emitted dust particles caused a dramatic drop in temperatures and disrupted photosynthesis.  If that asteroid were to hit Earth today, humans would be royally screwed.  All forms of electronic communication would end, never to be repaired.  Forget trying to communicate with anyone more than a few miles away from you, because don't expect the gas in your car to last very long.  There would cease to be order.  Politicians?  Policemen?  Who cares?  No one is there to enforce the laws.  Money would be worthless.  Food and shelter go a lot farther than just coins and paper.  Mass produced animals and crops that have been acclimated to rely to humans would eventually perish and we'd start struggling to find food.  With our over reliance on technology, no one has any street smarts.  Wikipedia won't be there to tell you which berries are poisonous and how to start a fire in subzero temperatures.  You're injured and need a doctor?  Your stomach is giving you cramps and you don't know why?  Well, it's a shame all the doctors are dead and the CVS down the street was raided well in advance.  And I'm sure you'll have all the supplies you'll need to purify your own water, right?  Cause last I checked water was pretty damn important.  It will be every man for himself, and there would be no shortage of troubles.  All those third world countries that rely on superpowers to supply aid after a single earthquake strikes today would be wiped away if an asteroid the size of the Chicxulub one were to hit.  When thousands of those earthquakes happening simultaneously, no one's going to send the Red Cross anywhere.  Even if humans do manage to miraculously make it through an impact of that scale, the genetic pool would have been drastically diminished and they wouldn't have managed by just holding hands and singing Kumbaya.  You'd be gravely mistaken in thinking humans are any less fragile than any of the species that have come and gone before us, especially the dinosaurs.  They lived for 165 million years, and we've only been here for 200 thousand.  

• Upvote 1

A recent study shows that cat videos do improve one's mood. Watching cat videos can reduce anxiety, energize you, and even help with procrastination. The survey the findings came from had about 7,000 participants so this, like every study, can't speak for everybody. Almost 90% of the people who took the survey were female so it was noted that there's a chance males might respond differently to cat videos. (If by some weird, unlikely stroke of luck that happens to be true, I feel sorry for all of you unless men experience more positive effects for some reason.)

Meh, it's pretty normal. Happens every something years so I ain't really surprised. But the Human part being the cause, yeah, true. Kinda sad. Makes me question tho what caused the other mass extinctions before.

It's still a crummy feeling knowing we humans are directly responsible for this for the most part. :unsure: The previous mass extinctions were the result of natural disasters whereas this one's the result of humans being uncareful and unknowingly irresponsible for a long time.

The part that nags at me the most though is that species we haven't even discovered yet might be ceasing to exist because our actions...  :(

I'm sorry man, I usually don't like to start with stuff like this because it can be time consuming and a hassle, but I couldn't resist.

Humans are going to survive this 6th mass extinction?  Well, no duh, it's because we're causing it.  Wow, isn't it crazy how the Aryans weren't killed in the Holocaust?  Gee, just goes to show how collectively intelligent and capable they are!  They definitely one-upped dem gypsies and Jews, didn't they?  Us "surviving" has nothing to do with our innate skill or prowess.  Also, this is nothing at all like how the dinosaurs went out.  They were hit by an asteroid that caused worldwide megatsunamis, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and wildfires.  The emitted dust particles caused a dramatic drop in temperatures and disrupted photosynthesis.  If that asteroid were to hit Earth today, humans would be royally screwed.  All forms of electronic communication would end, never to be repaired.  Forget trying to communicate with anyone more than a few miles away from you, because don't expect the gas in your car to last very long.  There would cease to be order.  Politicians?  Policemen?  Who cares?  No one is there to enforce the laws.  Money would be worthless.  Food and shelter go a lot farther than just coins and paper.  Mass produced animals and crops that have been acclimated to rely to humans would eventually perish and we'd start struggling to find food.  With our over reliance on technology, no one has any street smarts.  Wikipedia won't be there to tell you which berries are poisonous and how to start a fire in subzero temperatures.  You're injured and need a doctor?  Your stomach is giving you cramps and you don't know why?  Well, it's a shame all the doctors are dead and the CVS down the street was raided well in advance.  And I'm sure you'll have all the supplies you'll need to purify your own water, right?  Cause last I checked water was pretty damn important.  It will be every man for himself, and there would be no shortage of troubles.  All those third world countries that rely on superpowers to supply aid after a single earthquake strikes today would be wiped away if an asteroid the size of the Chicxulub one were to hit.  When thousands of those earthquakes happening simultaneously, no one's going to send the Red Cross anywhere.  Even if humans do manage to miraculously make it through an impact of that scale, the genetic pool would have been drastically diminished and they wouldn't have managed by just holding hands and singing Kumbaya.  You'd be gravely mistaken in thinking humans are any less fragile than any of the species that have come and gone before us, especially the dinosaurs.  They lived for 165 million years, and we've only been here for 200 thousand.

you sound very salty

But yeah, that's a blunt way to put it tumblr_nqcj45nrXX1qivk0so1_75sq.png

you sound very salty

Whoops, I didn't mean to come off as salty.  MKay's statement was just so blatantly misled I felt I needed to put him straight, no offense to him.

I guess I may have come off as a bit too aggressive.  I was going to type even more, like about the added difficulty of giving birth without surgeries or doctors or sanitation, as well as the loss of hundreds of years of information and art and knowledge via destruction of books for fire, but I didn't want to ramble any more than I already had...................... 

just goes to show how collectively intelligent we are and how capable we are on adapting with our environment

just wanted to point out that we didn't actually "adapt" to our environment; we changed it

couldn't have said it any better myself

It's still a crummy feeling knowing we humans are directly responsible for this for the most part. :unsure: The previous mass extinctions were the result of natural disasters whereas this one's the result of humans being uncareful and unknowingly irresponsible for a long time.

The part that nags at me the most though is that species we haven't even discovered yet might be ceasing to exist because our actions...  :(

hey if it makes you feel any better, gladiators unknowingly sped up the extinction process by slaughtering animals for the sake of entertainment back when Nero first opened up the colosseum (e.g. the Caspian Tiger and Aurochs are extinct now thx to Roman gladiatorial shows)

human impact today isn't nearly as barbaric!!!!

jkjkjk, but in all seriousness, I think it's because there's a lack of conventional ways to dispose of our waste.

Thousands of species are negatively impacted by our carelessness, but our efforts in fixing this mess have improved loads.

A few decades ago, littering in streets was acceptable and the norm. Banning CFCs have also helped a bit.

We aren't just the cause of this. Eh? What do you mean by the Aryans not being killed in the holocaust? I'm not good at history, but Aryans are those racists bastards, aren't they?

:V We wouldn't be this advance if we aren't more prowess or more capable of innovation than any specie, seriously. Not trying to be speciest, here :P Coz really, that's really really true.

The meteor thingy is still a theory. It's still widely debated if that thing really caused the extinction or not, which really scares me coz what if it's not the meteor which caused this? What if it's a thing that have eluded the eyes of the scientist for a long long time? We could all just go die out without any warning, lol. No joke.

I don't think any government in this world, let alone your country's, would just welcome a giant asteroid or comet on earth to destroy us all. Like, "Welcome to the Earth! Enjoy your stay here while you kill us all!". Plus, astronomers can detect if a "giant" asteroid or comet would impact us even when they are decades away from doing so. I'm sure at that time, with our capabilities, we have the right arsenal to break asteroid/comet into pieces or shoo it away before it even enters our atmosphere.

Honestly, if you guys don't know, there are alot of organizations or scientists already out there who have proposed ways on defending our planet if this imminent danger comes. Using nuclear warheads, for example, to destroy an asteroid. Or, using spacecrafts to deflect it away.

Haha, I dunno if anyone is blind here or not, but I'm really sure dino or any specie before had technological capabilities or had ability to communicate clearly, before, Seriously, if anyone is gonna argue to me that we are just as fragile as any species, they should have their eyes checked. I'm sorry for being blunt but that's being ignorant. You're completely ignoring the fact that I had in bold above.

And if the thing you have said really just happens, I mean if we aren't successful at nuking an asteroid down or deflecting it away, I'm pretty sure the governments out there would have plan B for this. They would've probably relocated those people on the impact zone to a safer place and we're all probably gonna be all living on underground bunkers, on impact and on the aftermath for a very long time. Many would surely die but our species would survive, for sure. Yeah, it would take years to recover but still.

Haha, we've lived for just 200 thousand years but look at our outstanding achievements. Did the dinosaurs ever reach the moon?

A recent study shows that cat videos do improve one's mood. Watching cat videos can reduce anxiety, energize you, and even help with procrastination. The survey the findings came from had about 7,000 participants so this, like every study, can't speak for everybody. Almost 90% of the people who took the survey were female so it was noted that there's a chance males might respond differently to cat videos. (If by some weird, unlikely stroke of luck that happens to be true, I feel sorry for all of you unless men experience more positive effects for some reason.)

you sound very salty

It's just like cuddling dogs or any pets :P Gah... Improves your mood :P

---

Yeah, We are somewhat responsible for this mass extinction, if it's really true. (Feel like this might be just another "Global Warming" thing) But I dun think we, alone, is the cause of this. I mean we have been existing for ages and this just happened now? Seriously? I would believe that if the mass extinction started/was noticed sometime ago not just today or something.

And, Back to the age where humans still lives in tribes, I'm sure we kill animals mercilessly than we do now. Haha, I'm more sure that animal rights didn't exist at that time xD And that tribal age lasted for a long long time and yet, we didn't cause any major extinction. Also, industrial revolution started a long ago, at that time, we are using way way more polluting substances than we do now. We just use coal and stuffs.

Anyways, you people might still argue to me with other reasons but gosh, we have these animal sanctuaries, now, non profit organizations who really tries to preserve the nature as much as they can and greenpeace and the likes activists (tho I feel like they all started those Global Warming craze). I dun think their effort are devoid or are completely ignored. I feel like they've been acting as the counterbalance to us completely destroying mother nature.

But still, we should preserve nature as much as we can. whether we are a big cause of this or not.

---

Haha, Peace! Anyways, in relation to the topic, I remember the thing about jellyfish that  I watched on a documentary sometime ago. They've been causing imbalance in the ocean. We somewhat are the cause, at least that's what they say.

http://thestarfish.ca/home/2015/3/jelly-invasion-why-jellyfish-are-taking-over-our-oceans

Whoops, I didn't mean to come off as salty.  MKay's statement was just so blatantly misled I felt I needed to put him straight, no offense to him.

I guess I may have come off as a bit too aggressive.  I was going to type even more, like about the added difficulty of giving birth without surgeries or doctors or sanitation, as well as the loss of hundreds of years of information and art and knowledge via destruction of books for fire, but I didn't want to ramble any more than I already had...................... 

Yeah, sorry for being misled :3 I'm not offended, don't worry. I see it as a healthy argument. We're all cool, 'kay?

Honestly, I didn't make my post clear so sorry for that. I just didn't think anyone would really just go arguing with me, lol. Plus, I lazily just posted that thing. I really didn't think that you three would just go ranting at me :P

just wanted to point out that we didn't actually "adapt" to our environment; we changed it

Not really. We use technology to "adapt" to the ever changing environment we have.

I don't think any specie in this world can do that.

---

Anyways, sorry if I'm coming off as being too "knowledgeable". Haha, the thing is I really have been watching documentaries since I was just little and it's like my past time, seriously. Plus, my older bro was just as geeky as me when he was younger so he's like giving me random trivias or we go debating on those times which, of course, just got stored on my brain.

And also, it's been my habit reading Science News every night, before I go to sleep.  http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/ , http://www.gizmag.com/ and http://www.space.com/ . So yeah, that's where half of these stuffs that I argued back came from. Plus, not of all those infos came from my head, some of them are from Mr. Google. Especially, those things that I have to verify xD

We aren't just the cause of this. Eh? What do you mean by the Aryans not being killed in the holocaust? I'm not good at history, but Aryans are those racists bastards, aren't they?

:V We wouldn't be this advance if we aren't more prowess or more capable of innovation than any specie, seriously. Not trying to be speciest, here :P Coz really, that's really really true.

The meteor thingy is still a theory. It's still widely debated if that thing really caused the extinction or not, which really scares me coz what if it's not the meteor which caused this? What if it's a thing that have eluded the eyes of the scientist for a long long time? We could all just go die out without any warning, lol. No joke.

I don't think any government in this world, let alone your country's, would just welcome a giant asteroid or comet on earth to destroy us all. Like, "Welcome to the Earth! Enjoy your stay here while you kill us all!". Plus, astronomers can detect if a "giant" asteroid or comet would impact us even when they are decades away from doing so. I'm sure at that time, with our capabilities, we have the right arsenal to break asteroid/comet into pieces or shoo it away before it even enters our atmosphere.

Honestly, if you guys don't know, there are alot of organizations or scientists already out there who have proposed ways on defending our planet if this imminent danger comes. Using nuclear warheads, for example, to destroy an asteroid. Or, using spacecrafts to deflect it away.

Haha, I dunno if anyone is blind here or not, but I'm really sure dino or any specie before had technological capabilities or had ability to communicate clearly, before, Seriously, if anyone is gonna argue to me that we are just as fragile as any species, they should have their eyes checked. I'm sorry for being blunt but that's being ignorant. You're completely ignoring the fact that I had in bold above.

And if the thing you have said really just happens, I mean if we aren't successful at nuking an asteroid down or deflecting it away, I'm pretty sure the governments out there would have plan B for this. They would've probably relocated those people on the impact zone to a safer place and we're all probably gonna be all living on underground bunkers, on impact and on the aftermath for a very long time. Many would surely die but our species would survive, for sure. Yeah, it would take years to recover but still.

Haha, we've lived for just 200 thousand years but look at our outstanding achievements. Did the dinosaurs ever reach the moon?

Anyways, sorry if I'm coming off as being too "knowledgeable". Haha, the thing is I really have been watching documentaries since I was just little and it's like my past time, seriously. Plus, my older bro was just as geeky as me when he was younger so he's like giving me random trivias or we go debating on those times which, of course, just got stored on my brain.

And also, it's been my habit reading Science News every night, before I go to sleep.  http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/ , http://www.gizmag.com/ and http://www.space.com/ . So yeah, that's where half of these stuffs that I argued back came from. Plus, not of all those infos came from my head, some of them are from Mr. Google. Especially, those things that I have to verify xD

We kinda are the cause of this mass extinction.  Even if it’s not through direct means like outright pouching and slaughter, it’s through other means like deforestation, territory encroachment, pollution, and accidentally introducing invasive species among other things.  And this leads into your question.  I might as well have just said Nazi instead of Aryan, but I figured you at least knew what the Holocaust was.  Nazis considered Aryans the master race and enacted mass genocide on Jews, Gypsies, the mentally and physically disabled, and anyone who got in their way.  Total death count was about 11 million, give or take.  The Nazi and Aryans wouldn’t have been affected by this manslaughter for the sole reason that they’re the ones causing it, in the same way humans aren't also a part of this extinction because we're causing it.

The impact theory is wildly regarded by most, laymen and scientists alike, to be true.  Years ago there was a huge debate and “How did the dinos die?” was a common discussion/learning topic amongst even elementary schoolers.  However, recently there have been more discoveries and data collected and scientists can say fairly certainly an asteroid did indeed kill the dinosaurs.  It was kind of big news; I remember seeing articles and television reports and documentaries celebrating the end to an age long question.  No one knows anything for absolute certain, that’s impossible of course without a time machine, so some may still try to argue against the impact theory, but those people are in the minority.  It was widely debated years ago, but definitely not today.

Potentially using nukes or spaceships to deflect/destroy incoming asteroids is pretty common knowledge nowadays, I would think, so yeah I’ve heard of it.  The problem is, you put way too much faith in theory and numbers than you do in reality.  Can we shoot asteroids out of the sky?  Oh sure, simple.  If a big one is coming, we have sensors that can detect it 10-20 years in advance, which is just enough time to pull together funds and a program to construct the nuke/spaceship, launch it, and successfully knock that sucker out of here. But see, that’s not how life fundamentally works.  Everything is peachy on paper, when you’re sitting comfortably at your desk crunching numbers.

If everyone in the world was given $1,000 to donate to either feeding the world’s hungry children or funding research of asteroid destroying nukes, where’s most of the money going to go?  You don’t even need to take a survey, it’s obvious what the answer is.  An asteroid strike is not a threat right now.  Large impacts the size of the one that killed the dinosaurs happen once every 100 million years.  Ones that can destroy entire civilizations happen every 100,000 years, and ones the size of Tunguska occur every 300.  A Tunguska sized asteroid hitting a populated area occurs every 3,000 years, and that area being an urban one would be at around 100,000 years.  Small stones fall from the sky and may occasionally hit an unlucky soul here or there, but that amounts to about 100 dead a year.  That’s nearly nothing in comparison to the millions that are dying of cancer, heart attack, suicide, and other medical conditions annually.  Heck, you’d make more of a difference investing money in preventing aviation related deaths than asteroid related ones.

The thing is, very few people in this world care about a potential asteroid strike.  And a lot of those that do care aren’t going to go out of their way to donate to NASA or anything.  Humans, as complex as you sometimes make them out to be, still follow the basic instincts of animals.  We respond more readily and eagerly to problems we can relate to.  Every human that lives and has ever lived knows what it’s like to go hungry.  You’re always wondering what’s for dinner and wanting food on DCW, so don’t pretend you don’t.  The thought of impoverished third world country residents starving every day garners sympathy and so we donate, have food drives and events, spread the word, and make some noise in an attempt to make a difference.  Similarly, enough people personally know others afflicted by cancer or alcohol/drug abuse or depression or disabilities or have at least heard sob stories to feel that it’s worth the time and effort to fight these problems.  These are all threats that have significantly more impact on a person’s everyday life than a rock in space.

Furthermore, we procrastinate.  Everyone procrastinates, and the collective conscience of humans isn’t any different.  Setting up a defense line to prevent large asteroids from ever hitting Earth is so simple, so easy, so within reach.  Yet the reaped rewards come hundreds of thousands of years later and with a deadline so far back no one feels pressured to start preparing now.  It’s an easier problem than world hunger to fix no doubt, but our “superior” minds just don’t see that.  Why invest in something as abstract as an asteroid hit?  Scientists are all saying we shouldn’t worry, sooo… I guess I’ll give my money to impoverished Nigerian children then?  My money is becoming medicine for those too poor to afford it, and when that medicine is given to the sickly it makes an active difference.  If I wanted to, I could fly over and actually see the new life I have given.  Now that’s rewarding is it not?  If my money goes to building a nuke, to blow up asteroids, then it will just get lost in the millions and billions needed for research and testing.  And I won’t be alive to see the smiles and thanks of the people thousands of years from now, if humans as a species even survive that long.  Similarly to global warming, or rather climate change, the threat of an asteroid strike is so distant and so abstract and foreign that we aren’t hardwired to perceive it as anything more than a fleeting thought.  Heck, you yourself are even starting to question the validity of climate change because it’s been preached for many years and yet there appears to be very little change in the world through your eyes.

Even once we’re faced with imminent threat, do you honestly think humans will be able to come to an agreement on how to deal with an asteroid strike in the 10-20 years it takes to locate, prepare, and take down the danger?  Countries argue every day how much should be invested in military spending, helping other countries who are going through tough financial times, dealing with international wars and terrorists, the list goes on.  There is so much red tape in the political world, very little ever truly gets done.  It’s always a balancing act of addressing issues and making promises (but not too many) and saving face and geez let’s not even get started with political rivalries.

Politicians aren’t even the entire problem.  Your everyday folk are an issue as well.  Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue if it were ever revealed publically that an asteroid with the potential to wipe out humans was hurling our way?  People would be demanding answers from politicians and scientists alike and I bet you my video game collection that they’ll say something along the lines of, “We cannot disclose anything at this time, but we assure you there is no need to worry.”  With an unsatisfactory answer like that, rumors will start to spread, hearsay will be taken as fact, conspiracy theories will run wild, and the distrust level will be neck high, even if politicians announce that they will be building a nuke to blast the asteroid away.  Some may YOLO their remaining time away, others may resort to suicide.  People will point fingers and start to blame those that don’t deserve any blame and hate groups will form faster than ever before.  Humans, for the first time in their entire existence, will be faced with a dilemma that literally nothing in the hundreds of thousands of years of their time on Earth will have prepared them for, and that’s actually knowing they could be the very last people ever to live.  Even just hypothetically contemplating it right now cannot compare to actually experiencing it.

And as for underground bunkers, seriously?  You know there’s no way we’re going to fit seven billion people underground, and in the future that number's going to be even higher.  With limited space and resources, what determines which people survive and which ones are left on the surface to face the hellhole that will be the aftereffects of the impact?  Money?  Status?  Genetic and intellectual value?  Roland Emmerich’s “2012” was pretty much just an unrealistic action flick, but it brought up some good points.  The social uproar that would ensue from underground bunkers would be even greater than just knowing an asteroid is coming.

I can’t believe I wrote that much just on knocking a rock out of the sky.  I’ll try to keep this next bit as short as possible.

Humans are probably one of the most, if not the most, intelligent animals ever to walk this Earth, sure that’s true.  I’m not going to go and argue against that.  However intelligence alone does not deem a species superior to every other.  Physically, we’re fragile as porcelain.  We can barely get over colds without the aid of medicine, otherwise we’d be reduced to a sniffling pile of blankets and snotty tissues.  Even with medicine we’re many times walking around miserable.  We don’t have any outer layer of protection save for skin.  And seriously, paper can cut that.  Turtles have shells while lobsters and insects have exoskeletons.  Sharks have an amazing sense of smell and have been on Earth for hundreds of millions of years.  Chameleons, octopi, and cuttlefish can change their color and in the cuttlefish’s case their skin texture to more readily hide from predators and/or to ambush prey.  Others like the milk snake use Batesian mimicry to fool potential predators into thinking they are poisonous by resembling the venomous coral snake.  Humans can only put on a costume and/or makeup and I guess hope for the best?  Bats can practically see in the dark with echolocation, using sound waves to determine your surrounding area.  Humans sometimes even have trouble just figuring out if someone is calling their name from their left or their right.  The basilisk lizard can run on water, which only Jesus and magicians have accomplished.  In terms of sheer number and reproduction, insects like ants have us beat.  Cockroaches can survive nuclear blasts and tardigrades are so hardy they can be sent into the vacuum of space, brought back, and still live to tell the tale.  Humans are inferior to other animals (and even plants) in nearly all aspects save for intellect.

And a word of advice.  Never ever claim to be too smart or too knowledgeable in some kind of false modesty.  You come off as arrogant, and I know you’re a good person and all, but seriously that last part was uncalled for.  There will always be someone better than you.

I have typed enough for multiple debates.  I’m done here.  Feel free to counter if you’d like, but I won’t be replying back because this just takes way too much work.      
  • Upvote 2

Not really. We use technology to "adapt" to the ever changing environment we have.

I don't think any specie in this world can do that.

yes, because playing on our smart phones and complaining about the conclusion of How I Met Your Mother is adapting to our environment

see where I'm getting at here?

was NYC the way is was thousands of years ago?

was Berlin the way it was thousands of years ago?

skyscrapers, buildings, factories

we changed our environment so that we wouldn't have to "adapt" to what the environment was originally

the most I've ever "adapted" to was moving to another state

you know why?

because it only takes a few seconds on google to locate the nearest grocery store, library, school, etc.

this is not adaptation

please feel free to elaborate on how we "adapted" to our environment compared to other species

please feel free to explain how hard our lives are compared to the species that have to scavenge on a daily basis

hell, we barely utilize our fight/flight response anymore because of how much we changed our environment

you know how our body efficiently stores fat as an energy source?

the majority of us are well-nourished if not over-nourished

our bodies have not yet "adapted" to the changes we made to our environment

in other words, we did not "adapt" to our environment; we changed it

We use technology to "adapt" to the ever changing environment we have.

"ever changing"

lol you've gotta be kidding me

we're the ones who caused the changing, if my previous point didn't sink in enough

yes, yes, because us getting used to the changes that we made is such a big accomplishment

you're putting far too much faith in the human species

are you not aware of how massive the meteor or volcano must have been if it had the power to cause a mass extinction?

ahahaahahaha....haha.............................ha......

that's far more powerful than any nuclear bomb we've detonated, if that puts anything into perspective

"The release amounted to about 10^23 joules, or 10^8 megatons of TNT. This energy is 10,000 times greater than the world's total arsenal of nuclear weapons at the height of the Cold War"

feel free to try and stop that with our "technology"

technological capabilities and the ability to communicate clearly, huh.........

well let me know how that goes once another super volcano erupts or another meteor the size of Chicxulub hits us 

and yeah, "plan B" isn't gonna work here

if another meteor the size of Chicxulub were to hit us, it'd rip through any underground bunkers we build like wet paper

let me paste that quote again:

"The release amounted to about 10^23 joules, or 10^8 megatons of TNT. This energy is 10,000 times greater than the world's total arsenal of nuclear weapons at the height of the Cold War"

Yeah, We are somewhat responsible for this mass extinction, if it's really true. (Feel like this might be just another "Global Warming" thing) But I dun think we, alone, is the cause of this. I mean we have been existing for ages and this just happened now? Seriously? I would believe that if the mass extinction started/was noticed sometime ago not just today or something.

I don't know why you're treating it so casually because we're the ones who caused it.

humans ---> global warming ---> mass extinction

humans caused the mass extinction

what is there not to get, haha

• Upvote 2

---

And, Back to the age where humans still lives in tribes, I'm sure we kill animals mercilessly than we do now. Haha, I'm more sure that animal rights didn't exist at that time xD And that tribal age lasted for a long long time and yet, we didn't cause any major extinction. Also, industrial revolution started a long ago, at that time, we are using way way more polluting substances than we do now. We just use coal and stuffs.

Anyways, you people might still argue to me with other reasons but gosh, we have these animal sanctuaries, now, non profit organizations who really tries to preserve the nature as much as they can and greenpeace and the likes activists (tho I feel like they all started those Global Warming craze). I dun think their effort are devoid or are completely ignored. I feel like they've been acting as the counterbalance to us completely destroying mother nature.

But still, we should preserve nature as much as we can. whether we are a big cause of this or not.

---

Haha, Peace! Anyways, in relation to the topic, I remember the thing about jellyfish that  I watched on a documentary sometime ago. They've been causing imbalance in the ocean. We somewhat are the cause, at least that's what they say.

http://thestarfish.ca/home/2015/3/jelly-invasion-why-jellyfish-are-taking-over-our-oceans

I'm not very knowledgeable about wwii but "aryan" doesn't necessarily mean a racist person. (excluding those who identify as aryan today, those people most definitely are) I think "aryan" was just used to describe the white European appearance that Hitler viewed as the most superior race. (the "ideal aryan" had blonde hair, blue eyes, and pale skin and ironically enough, Hitler didn't even fit that bill as he was a brunette with brown eyes) If I'm not mistaken, people with aryan appearances who had "impurities" were also killed in the holocaust (ex: those who had physical disabilities, mental illness, and/or were gay) but their numbers were a lot smaller compared to other groups the Nazis went after. 

(I did double check a lot of what I said but please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Completely switching gears here but yeah the mass extinction didn't start recently. We've lost at least 77 species of mammals, 140 types of bird, and 34 amphibians since 1500 so scientists have been keeping an eye on this for a while. I'm assuming humans play the biggest part in the mass extinction since a lot of industrialization, pollution, and population increase came about in the past 500 years but the Earth just doing what it does probably had some part in it too but it's a minor part in comparison. 

I'm sure a bunch of species went extinct at least partially because of humans. Especially if the species had the climate and humans working against it its survival. (ex: wooly mammoths) The reason it didn't cause a mass extinction is probably because it's a lot harder to hunt hundreds of species into extinction compared to now where humans are unintentionally harming animals. (ex: habitat loss, we know the deforestation of rainforests is bad yet it still happens. Not to mention tribes who still reside in those forests are also harmed by this

Despite the industrial revolution happening so long ago it didn't come and go without any consequences* though. And coal leaves behind coal ash which if not stored properly can cause horrific spills

And that's the thing, organizations can certainly help a ton! They can only do so much though. Some species might get to the point where they only exist in captivity. It's better than them completely being gone but it's not much better.. Take Lonesome George the last known Pinta Island tortoise for example. When he died in 2012 , the subspecies he belonged to just stopped existing because there were no females he could mate with to continue the subspecies. Lonesome George was even referred to as the rarest animal in the world during his last years. 

hey if it makes you feel any better, gladiators unknowingly sped up the extinction process by slaughtering animals for the sake of entertainment back when Nero first opened up the colosseum (e.g. the Caspian Tiger and Aurochs are extinct now thx to Roman gladiatorial shows)

human impact today isn't nearly as barbaric!!!!

jkjkjk, but in all seriousness, I think it's because there's a lack of conventional ways to dispose of our waste.

Thousands of species are negatively impacted by our carelessness, but our efforts in fixing this mess have improved loads.

A few decades ago, littering in streets was acceptable and the norm. Banning CFCs have also helped a bit.

tumblr_m42quperIZ1r58lid.jpg it doesn't

It might not be as brutal but animals are still dying :c

And I vote we send all the harmful human waste to space and make the aliens deal with it, it's a completely foolproof plan amiright???

-----

*I wanted to link a Lonesome George video I came across because I thought it gave a lot of perspective and realized one of my links stopped working, like the entire site's just down but I was able to access a cached copy and screenshot it so if anyone cares, here

• Upvote 2