Detective Conan World
Kyuu Nye

Music Awareness Thread

So we all have music that we like, some of it is popular, and some of it you think people may have never heard of. Whether it be an old time classic that was lost to the sands of time, or an underground band that hasn't hit it big, we all have music that people simply don't seem to know about.

The point of this thread is to link to videos, mp3 links or anything that you can find of music that you think is good or interesting and deserves more exposure.

Now I'm not setting any ground rules except that it CANNOT be popular in AMERICA or JAPAN. I'm working under the assumption that most popular American music is pretty world renown, hitting charts if not topping charts globally, and most users here are already aware of a lot of the Japanese music that is popular through anime or other means (so yes, as much as it pains me, I won't be posting any B'z in here, we all know that they are the greatest* and most popular Japanese band of our time).

SO! I shall start it off with a few songs that I don't think people here have heard or know about...

Hiromi Uehara - The Tom & Jerry Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRgByqWT3c0

Gogol Bordello - Through the Roof 'n' Underground

Lets see some interesting/good music** DCW!

Notes:

*B'z awesomeness may be debated, but all debates will be ignored by the stating party

**Not all music posted will be seen as interesting/good by all. But lets try anyway, yes?

• Upvote 2

The amount of great idea that is in this thread is ridiculously high. It has been stickied!!

I'm gonna link to April Smith and the Great Picture Show. It's ridiculous how amazing April's voice is. Her most famous song is "Colors", and is actually a pretty decent ShinRan anthem. WELL worth a download, and it's a free one no less!!:

http://www.spinner.c...rs-free-mp3-of/

One of my personal favorites is "Bright White Jackets". Can't find the album version unfortunately, so here's a live version:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAOTCtW9v0M

Symphony No. 9 is hardly a song for this thread... I love classical as much as the next guy, but this thread is for new discovery or drudging up old songs that were buried in time. Symphony No. 9 is a classic masterpiece, it was never forgotten and was never buried.

If you want to show a rendition from a lesser known orchestra, then fine, but that is more for the orchestra than the song itself.

Symphony No. 9 is hardly a song for this thread... I love classical as much as the next guy, but this thread is for new discovery or drudging up old songs that were buried in time. Symphony No. 9 is a classic masterpiece, it was never forgotten and was never buried.

If you want to show a rendition from a lesser known orchestra, then fine, but that is more for the orchestra than the song itself.

ooopsss... sorry, my bad.... wasn't aware of its fame. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGK1w2gVBIE

Great thread indeed..

So.. I was listening to this song and thought it could be posted in here. Mumford & Sons is a folk-rock group from Brighton, South England. Although they're pretty well-known around their area, few people know about them internationally. I've been listening to them for about a year so far. Love them..

Hope you'll give a try to some of their songs. Here's one, not one of their hits, but in my opinion still worth listening to.

Might like it, might not. Enjoy..

Great thread indeed..

So.. I was listening to this song and thought it could be posted in here. Mumford & Sons is a folk-rock group from Brighton, South England. Although they're pretty well-known around their area, few people know about them internationally. I've been listening to them for about a year so far. Love them..

Hope you'll give a try to some of their songs. Here's one, not one of their hits, but in my opinion still worth listening to.

Might like it, might not. Enjoy..

To be honest, Mumford and Sons is quite famous all around the world.

Anyways, i am sure most of us do not know this talented acoustic guitarist.

Never heard of him but there's another guitarist that you guys might not know. He is a rock guitarist but he is also known for his neo-classical playing approach in heavy metal music which became a new musical style in the early eighties. :D I love his guitar style. He created a special kind of guitar and I have one of them with his autograph. :D

My favourite:

Never heard of him but there's another guitarist that you guys might not know. He is a rock guitarist but he is also known for his neo-classical playing approach in heavy metal music which became a new musical style in the early eighties. :D I love his guitar style. He created a special kind of guitar and I have one of them with his autograph. :D

My favourite:

I know of him, and have met him. He is famous within guitarist circles. Btw... He is a complete asshole. He thinks he is God's gift to humanity (or at least music).

I know of him, and have met him. He is famous within guitarist circles. Btw... He is a complete asshole. He thinks he is God's gift to humanity (or at least music).

WOW! :shock: You really don't like him huh? Well, I can't deny that he's really great with the guitar! :) I never met him so I won't know his personality. But, as a guitarist, I look up to him.

how did you get to meet him, anyway?

To be honest, Mumford and Sons is quite famous all around the world.

Anyways, i am sure most of us do not know this talented acoustic guitarist.

Thanks for letting me know. If that's the case, it's not something I was aware of. Sorry.

The Weakerthans. A Canadian band, would that count as America?

Not the greatest sound, but interesting and such lovely lyrics like poetry. They basically kept me afloat the first year I came to Canada all by myself with no friends and no money and barely enough food to last a week. Songs about cats singing about their depressed owners and roomates that have to split after years. And did you know love is a lot like curling? You can't go past or stay too far.

http://youtu.be/iXMiPKBV17Q