Detective Conan World
Edogawa-san

Detective Conan's Demographic

So, I was wondering what exactly is Detective Conan's target audience in Japan? I know in America it would generally be rated PG13 because of the blood, drugs, and violence, but what about Japan?

The guns, killing, blood, and suicide don't exactly look child-friendly to me, but other things, like the Detective Boys and lack of adult themes, keep Detective Conan from being an adult show.

So, is it something like a family show in Japan? I'm sure there are a lot of concepts a younger audience wouldn't understand.

Oh, and do the manga and anime have different target audiences? I've noticed the anime censors graphic scenes in the manga (Episode 1, for example).

Well, I found this on Anime News Network. The article was about the audience that went to watch the Movie 12: Full Score of Fear in its opening weekend:

"About 70% of the audience was female. Teenagers made up the largest segment of the audience, followed by people in their 30s and then people in their 20s."

Here's the Link

The anime targets are families, which is why the show airs during the evening.

The manga is a shônen, so it technically aims pre-teens and teens. But it's actually quite popular among middle-aged women as well.

PS : In a pole where japanese people between 20 and 30 years old were asked which mangas they don't want to see ending, DC placed first among women and third among men (behind Kochikame and One Piece).

Men :

1. KOCHI KAME 『こちら葛飾区亀有公園前派出所』 25.3%

2. ONE PIECE 『ONE PIECE』 20.2%

3. DETECTIVE CONAN 『名探偵コナン』 16.0%

4. HUNTER x HUNTER 『HUNTER×HUNTER』 5.9%

5. HAJIME NO IPPO 『はじめの一歩』 5.1%

Women :

1. DETECTIVE CONAN 『名探偵コナン』 22.5%

2. ONE PIECE 『ONE PIECE』 18.7%

3. KOCHI KAME  『こちら葛飾区亀有公園前派出所』 16.2%

4. NANA 『NANA』 10.7%

5. KIMI NI TODOKE 『君に届け』 9.1%

For some reason, I'm not surprised that DC is more popular to women. Is part of it because Shinichi/Heiji/Kuroba is their anime crush? I think so.

Sorry for bring back such an old topic, but this question has been tugging at the back of my mind for a while.

Does anyone know the demographics of DC?

(age, gender, ethnicity, region/country, etc.)

Not for specific movies or specials, but just in general.

I have an idea of what the target audience is, but I want to know DC's actual demographic. 

I tried looking it up on both the wiki and on google, but the closest I got to was, "Even though Detective Conan is a Shōnen, its audience is composed of a substantial proportion of female viewers and readers. The series also seems to attract all ages."

Well, it is only for the author to decide on the demography. However one thing I can say is that it is for most surely made for mystery loving audience, doesn't matter the age or gender. Though it does carry some heavy scenes that are considered as too much for children, but then again what is a mystery without the actuality and reality of the mystery itself. Hence I'd say it is more suited for 13+ but that's purely my opinion, it could be for a younger audience depending on the country it is shown in. As some regions does reedit the series stories so that they'd be less violent and more family friendly. Depending on the area that is, an anime can be suited for many ages.. 

I see where you're coming from, but like I said before, I don't need to know the target audience--I prefer to know what the the results are (percentages to be exact).

What percentage of the demographic is consisted of male/female?

Age?

Ethnicity?

The author can control his target audience, but he doesn't have as much control over the outcome.

He could intend for the show to appeal to 3 year-olds for all we care, but end up attracting people as old as 35.

R-rated movies aren't necessarily intended for children either, but there's nothing stopping them from watching those films.

I see where you're coming from, but like I said before, I don't need to know the target audience--I prefer to know what the results are (percentages to be exact).

Age?

Ethnicity?

The author can control his target audience, but he doesn't have as much control over the outcome.

He could intend for the show to appeal to 3 year-olds for all we care, but end up attracting people as old as 35.

R-rated movies aren't necessarily intended for children either, but there's nothing stopping them from watching those films.

Well the statistics are inconsistent, they change all the time. But in general I'd say 40% 10-16 years old mostly males, 30% 16-26 both genders, 15% Older than 50's and 15% are both genders younger than 10 years old. Though this is not exact and may be different in most cases, also for the Ethnicity I'm not sure as many people from many areas watches the series. But I can say that it is mostly viewed by Japanese people (obviously), followed by other Asian people then Europe U.S and lastly Africa. This is yet from my point of view it could be wrong but according to the channels that publish the series I'd guess my thoughts are right. Hope this helps :) .

Haha, where are you getting all of this data from? ...though I also had a similar "estimation."

I was hoping there were some hard statistics out there. 

I know Anime News Network has some based on airings of movies or specials but not the demographic as a whole. Either that or I haven't found it yet.

Well, I found this on Anime News Network. The article was about the audience that went to watch the Movie 12: Full Score of Fear in its opening weekend:

"About 70% of the audience was female. Teenagers made up the largest segment of the audience, followed by people in their 30s and then people in their 20s."

Here's the Link

^ I found this quite interesting. 70% who watched the movie were female?

I think that's pretty decent evidence confirming that the demographic of DC as a whole may not be as "typical" as previously thought.

It's acquirable from years of experience watching animes and befriending many anime lovers, as it is not exact it is speculated accordingly with the assumption of who would watch the anime rather than who does watch it.. 

It's acquirable from years of experience watching animes and befriending many anime lovers, as it is not exact it is speculated accordingly with the assumption of who would watch the anime rather than who does watch it.. 

I don't think using opinions of friends/acquaintances qualifies as fair evidence for an estimation of a demographic. 

Like I said before, it may seem obvious that the show is directed towards a certain audience, but that isn't exactly stopping others from watching it either.

What you're basing your evidence on mainly includes predictions on target audience. The actual demographic can't be generalized through assumptions.

Also, based on your previous speculations, Movie 12 should have had a somewhat equal split in male and female viewers. However, as stated before, the majority of the audience consisted of females.

I'd say 40% 10-16 years old mostly males, 30% 16-26 both genders, 15% Older than 50's and 15% are both genders younger than 10 years old. Though this is not exact and may be different in most cases, also for the Ethnicity I'm not sure as many people from many areas watches the series. But I can say that it is mostly viewed by Japanese people (obviously), followed by other Asian people then Europe U.S and lastly Africa. 

Although your earlier statistics seem reasonable, this is backed up by merely assumption and I still find it rather difficult to accept this as the general demographic. 

I don't think using opinions of friends/acquaintances qualifies as fair evidence for an estimation of a demographic. 

Like I said before, it may seem obvious that the show is directed towards a certain audience, but that isn't exactly stopping others from watching it either.

What you're basing your evidence on mainly includes predictions on target audience. The actual demographic can't be generalized through assumptions.

Also, based on your previous speculations, Movie 12 should have had a somewhat equal split in male and female viewers. However, as stated before, the majority of the audience consisted of females.

Although your earlier statistics seem reasonable, this is backed up by merely assumption and I still find it rather difficult to accept this as the general demographic. 

Well I did mention it is purely assumption of mine rather than a solid statement, It's presumed that this the intended audience but you can't force the intended audience to watch and so an alternate audience is brought up. So basically we're both right and wrong depends on the edge from which you try to think about the intended audience. Needless to say, don't bother about the audience but about your personal satisfaction of the series rather than that of others. :D  

I was just hoping that someone around here came across some hard statistics at some point, haha.

There's a good chance it could be in Japanese, which might contribute as to why I haven't found it yet.

Yeah, I suppose it doesn't really matter in the long run, but I'm still a little surprised that the demographic for DC hasn't popped up on the internet yet for a series running this long. 

I see where you're coming from, but like I said before, I don't need to know the target audience--I prefer to know what the the results are (percentages to be exact).

Age?

Ethnicity?

Here is the demographic breakdown for movie 18's first weekend if you're interested :

21-29 (31.2%)

16-19 (22.8%)

40-59 (16.2%)

64% female, 36% male.

Movie 17 :

The gender split for the latest Detective Conan film was 40% male, 60% female. 26.6% of the audience were in their 20s, 22.7% between 16 and 19, and 16.8% in their 40s.

And movie 16 :

6~12歳 13.0%

13~15歳 12.6%

16~19歳 26.3%

20~29歳 25.6%

30~39歳 8.1%

40~59歳 13.7%

62% women, 38% men.

• Upvote 1