Detective Conan World
Antiyonder

Fanfic recommendation thread. (Possible spoilers for said story/stories)

Mostly for fics not posted on the forum to begin with.

For me it's The Mystery of Conan Edogawa by Funvince: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4553963/1/The_Mystery_of_Conan_Edogawa

Now there are many fics concerning Ran finding out that Conan is Shinichi, and I find this one really well put together for several reasons:

1. Basically the story consists of Ran doing her own detective work to prove the connection between the two which I find does more justice to the character.

2. For the sake of drama, some tend to have Ran really hating Shinichi for the deception only to calm down by the end. Or on the other end of the spectrum we have her taking deception well and just mildly ticked off. Here, her reaction is well balanced.

3. The writer even makes it plausible that Ran never really dropped her suspicion despite Conan's misdirection.

4. Heck, we even get a nice parallel to the Sherlock Holmes stories (Final Problem and The Empty House).

5. There are some nice touches in general that get ignored in the canon. One example is how Ran and Kogoro don't question why Agasa for letting Ai live with him, when he claimed that he couldn't take care of Conan. Nothing earth shattering, but it is something you'd think would be brought up.

Edit Note: Many fanfics can easily be poor in quality or average at best. Some even fail to feel like the series that the writer is basing the story on, so don't just recommend a fanfic. Specify why you think it stands out. What puts it above the others in your mind?

• Upvote 1

Top 20 DC Fanfics Order (as of March 20th, 2011)

1. Fallout by The Silversage (in Progress)

2. The Mystery of Conan Edogawa by funvince (Complete)

3. Coming Home Series by Becky Tailweaver (In Progress; On Hiatus ?)

a. I'm Already There

b. Stronger Than I Am

c. Coming Home

4. When Pandora's Box is Opened by mangaluva (Complete)

5. About Edogawa by Ellen Brand (Complete; oneshot)

6. The Case of the Hidden Epidemic by Mirror and Image (Complete)

7. The Magic Bullet Murder Case by Mirror and Image* (Complete)

Note: The Magic Bullet Murder Case is actually the sequel to The Case of the Hidden Epidemic. There is no united name for which the two (or three, if you count The Case of the Haywire Heist) thus they are put separately. They do not need to be read together, however, this is highly recommended.

I really should have specified this in my first post, but I figured my example would have been enough.

A good majority of fanfics tend to be underwhelming and don't always emulate the feeling of the official product. Thus when you recommend a fanfic I feel it's best to specify why you think highly of it.

Going with my example, the whole Ran finding the truth about Conan/Shinici is an overused story for fics. Ran's reaction tends to border on an extreme whether it's being peeved or being understanding about it. This particular story, on the other hand refrains from both extremes. Plus, the writer actually does a great job of exploring the moral ramifications of Conan/Shinichi deceiving Ran while not telling us how we should feel.

It acknowledges the past stories where she was suspicious, and in keeping with Gosho's writing even does a Sherlock Holmes parallel.

So in short The Mystery of Conan Edogawa takes a premised used highly and makes it feel fresh, and even on par with the officially written stories in quality. It doesn't feel like a fanfic which is based on Detective Conan, it feels like Detective Conan.

As for an amazing fanfic recommendation, I have to mention Into the Moonlight by Endless-chan. It has the perfect blend of angst, humor, and thought-provoking thoughts of life that I love. The main characters are Shinichi and Kaito (I'm a KaiShin fan) and the way they interact with each other, the way they think, the way they comfort one another during times of despair are all portrayed quite well. I love this so much that I use it as a pattern for one of the stories I'm working on. The only thing I don't like about it is that IT REMAINS UNCOMPLETED. :(

Now that I've discussed TMoCE and why I like it, I'm going to add more recommendations that I left off. All one shots.

As someone who doesn't hate the Detective Boys (more specifically, the members who are actual kids), I tend to enjoy reading fics which have them maintaining their friendship with Conan after he becomes Shinichi again. And unlike the aformentioned Ran/Shinichi fics, these kind of stories are extremely rare. Of all the ones on ff.net, I can count all of them on my two hands. Some that I find stand out:

1. A Game of Tag by The Green Pilgrim: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2171421/1/A_Game_of_Tag

Nothing big, but they play a game of tag, while coping with the fact that Shinichi has 10 years on them.

2. The New Assistants by zara2148: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5815567/1/The_New_Assistants

Genta, Ayumi and Mitsuhiko become Shinichi's assistants. And yeah while it does work out, there is a bit of hilarity. Pretty good fic for those who view the three kids as Shinichi's Baker Street Irregulars. Granted the comparison isn't made or implied.

3. Ayumi Takes the Leads by Mysteryfan17: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7330355/1/Ayumi_Takes_the_Lead

Both Shinichi and Ayumi are captured by and tied up by some criminals, with Ayumi getting free and having to go get help.

Decent fic overall, and it even touches upon something I wondered. Shinichi first spent time with the Detective Boys as a kid. So would he allow them to address him in a more casual manner as opposed to the usual formal manner that kids (honorifics and all)?

Ah, I love Mysteryfan17... She's amazing. <3

Hm... Well, I enjoyed Hold On, It's Complicated. That was a great one... I'm too lazy to look it up now, but it's KaiShin, with one-sided HeiShin. Heiji and Kaito argue over Conan... Then they go to a mysterious opera house where Ran becomes the main singer. The ghost of the opera "loves" Ran and eventually kidnaps her and Conan...

It's finished now with a sequel. :D

I generally dislike any yaoi and yuri stories, no matter who's in it, so somebody else will need to answer Amaranth's question.

Personally, I like stories that are unique and different. Story ideas that are really overused I do not like, like the whole Ran finding out who Shinichi is thing. If you can change up the concept so it looks different, then I'll like it, like my The Fake Caller story, or my Gin's Future story. One deals with Ran finding out about Conan, and one deals with the defeat of the BO, though those aren't the main focus. Stories with an interesting premise I'll generally read. As to what to recommend, I think the best ones have already been put up, unless you count mine, which I consider OK but not great.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3088688/CoolKid94

I could definitely see aspects of this in the canon. And yeah, their take on Conan and how to identify him are pretty funny. And while I'm posting:

Cases by Magic Kaito: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2239296/1/bCases_b

I'm not sure whether it was ignoring continuity or being unaware, but in any event Conan decideds to rely on some drinks to cure himself when he's going on a case. Even if the immunity thing wasn't established, this fic shows the folly of such method.

For KaiShin... Hold On, It's Complicated and Of Childhood Friend and Girlfriend. Oh, and fics by... Uhm... Can't remember the name... ^^

Top 20 DC Fanfics Order (as of March 20th, 2011)

1. Fallout by The Silversage (in Progress)

2. The Mystery of Conan Edogawa by funvince (Complete)

3. Coming Home Series by Becky Tailweaver (In Progress; On Hiatus ?)

a. I'm Already There

b. Stronger Than I Am

c. Coming Home

4. When Pandora's Box is Opened by mangaluva (Complete)

6. The Case of the Hidden Epidemic by Mirror and Image (Complete)

7. The Magic Bullet Murder Case by Mirror and Image* (Complete)

Note: The Magic Bullet Murder Case is actually the sequel to The Case of the Hidden Epidemic. There is no united name for which the two (or three, if you count The Case of the Haywire Heist) thus they are put separately. They do not need to be read together, however, this is highly recommended.

I have every one of these favorited... hehe xDDD

More Than A Small Problem » by LostInTheDreams

anything by LostInTheDreams is wonderful. she's an amazing story teller and she has great ideas. i sometimes give my ideas and a few have been written out on her profile. (i really SUCK at writing. i'm just an idea person)

someone asked me to know more about "more than a small problem"

this is the summary and i don't know how else to explain it

(Hakuba's in the wrong place at the wrong time. He must be killed. The Black Organization takes measures to make sure the detective won't talk, but will that be enough?)

I like way too many fics to be listed here...but many of them have flaws...

one of the bests are

The mystery of Conan Edogawa by funvince

-explained in Original post/first post-feels more like DC than FanFic...so better than perfect.

Showdown with the Black Organization by Jebbifurzz

-just read it...READ IT,except little supernatural side...perfect!

When Pandora's Box is Opened by Mangaluva

-you just have to read it...you MUST...little supernatural but otherwise PERFECT!

I equal them, if someone manages to combine those...perfect.

but I would like story that can connect MK and DC but without supernatural elements...while making perfect ending for MK/DC...

More Than A Small Problem » by LostInTheDreams

anything by LostInTheDreams is wonderful. she's an amazing story teller and she has great ideas. i sometimes give my ideas and a few have been written out on her profile. (i really SUCK at writing. i'm just an idea person)

someone asked me to know more about "more than a small problem"

this is the summary and i don't know how else to explain it

(Hakuba's in the wrong place at the wrong time. He must be killed. The Black Organization takes measures to make sure the detective won't talk, but will that be enough?)

Ah... this is a good one. I'm the beta for it, and I'll say that the summary pretty much tells it all without ruining things. LostInTheDreams is amazing at coming up with ideas, and she's written many things in this story, that you haven't seen before in a story that's Hakuba-centric.

I really liked "Book" by DireSphinx (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4673746/1/Book) and its sequel "Peter Pan in Reverse" (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4942588/1/Peter_Pan_in_Reverse).

The story is centred on Ai and Mitsuhiko's relationship, and what would happen if Mitsuhiko's family is involved in the Black Organization. (Ai didn't know about this)

The thing that made me enjoy this story is it isn't only Haibara and Conan that can be smart; Mitsuhiko possesses potential as well. This is the factor that is strongly highlighted in the story. It also talks about his and Haibara's relationship, where they were mere colleagues at first, but towards the end, they become the best of friends. I especially loved the ending of "Peter Pan in Reverse", but don't read it until you read the whole story. The stories aren't very long, and it's not a full-on romance fic as well. I enjoyed reading these fanfics and I'm sure you guys will too! :)

Ah... this is a good one. I'm the beta for it, and I'll say that the summary pretty much tells it all without ruining things. LostInTheDreams is amazing at coming up with ideas, and she's written many things in this story, that you haven't seen before in a story that's Hakuba-centric.

i should know, i gave her the idea to shrink hakuba. i asked her to write a story for me and i'd helo with more ideas...i just never expected her to write a multi chapter fic