Detective Conan World
fakeplastictantei

Which movie should be canon?

Name any movie and I'm sure most people here could give you several reasons why they wouldn't fit into the manga. :mellow:

Already did that :). If I was up to rewatching them I'm sure my original post would triple in length. However, the reason why Gosho would never make any movie canon is because they screw up his already defined characters. They are basically fan fiction, they make his characters look better than they actually are to please the fans. It is great for sales, but not from a story standpoint. Having characters that are too perfect makes for a boring story because there can be no conflict. Ever notice how the situations in the movies are 100 times worse than in the manga? It isn't because it is a movie, and movies are supposed to be that way. It is called "bad writing." When you can't write in actual tension and conflict to arise to a believable climax, you create one, which is what the movie writers do every movie. It is why I would never rate any DC movie above a 6/7 on a scale of 1-10. And a 7 is really pushing it, and only one or two movies would be 6/10. Most of the movies would fall into the 1-5/10. (but that doesn't mean that they are unenjoyable, but comparing them to almost any other movie I have seen in the mystery genre kills them, just watch a movie like the Maltese Falcon to see what I mean)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

i want to say the fifth one too but i think the confession in London is a much better way for Shinichi to admit he likes Ran. well, sort of.

all films with KID in them so KID knows who Conan is. it actually doesn't mess up canon world, it just adds to it, and confirms why KID has been treating Conan not like an ordinary boy whenever they see each other.

I'd choose the 4th Movie. I do agree that the canon version of Shinichi's confession is better but case-wise, I'd say the 4th one was really good. The way they gave the clues were definitely unexpected. :) He's not even on the list of suspects during the first half. XD

i want to say the fifth one too but i think the confession in London is a much better way for Shinichi to admit he likes Ran. well, sort of.

all films with KID in them so KID knows who Conan is. it actually doesn't mess up canon world, it just adds to it, and confirms why KID has been treating Conan not like an ordinary boy whenever they see each other.

uh...maybe you mean the furth one ^^;

hey!! welcome here misa-nee!!

Movie 5. By far.

The characters weren't OOC and the DB scenes were fantastic... ESPECIALLY the car/crash scene.

I'd like to see Mitsuhiko get worried over something like that in the manga as well, and I'd like to see Ayumi get worried about Conan's relationship with Ran. That way we could have CHARACTER development.

(Seeing Ai threaten Conan about Ayumi like that would probably set fire to a couple of dreams as well, lol. :P)

Right, but in M2 you needed to be an expert marksman to make that shot, which Shinichi is not. It takes a lot of practice to be able to make that kind of shot and only graze the target. They made it believable for Kogorou, but not Shinichi, even in manga canon where it is shown that he knows how to fire a gun. Marksmanship and knowing how to fire are totally different.

I quite agree. In The Moment The Organization Reaches Out, Conan asks Jodie to shoot the sprinklers. In that state, You would need to do it quickly to prevent BO from sniping. FBI agents always carry 2 guns (a back up piece). But perhaps Conan didn't want to break laws. ;)

For me,personally, all movies and OVAs are an extension to the canon cause none of them changes everything really important for me in my opinion.

There are some different things but still most of them could match to the canon.

I love every movie and OVA- each is different and has another focus.

I like some of them even bit more than some episodes.

Plus each character is the same.

Besides for me the manga/anime is not really more realistic than the movies.

IMO Detective Conan is mostly realistic but has some "exaggerated elements".

Like sometimes you just think Conan is veryyyyy lucky. :razz:

But for me it's okay, it's an anime.

Fortunately,it's no serious documentation.That would be dry and boring for me.

Furtnermore I don't want to compare it with other movies or something else.

I'm just happy how it is. :)

And Gosho has big influence on each movie- He is working on the mangas,the movies and the episodes are made from the manga except the fillers.

@angelranchan

Shinichi's official birthday is May 4th in the manga and in the movies (mentioned in the 1st and 3rd)

@IHKF

I love the character development in the movies,too.

Also the possibilities to have different focuses like the friendship theme in Movie 11 or the musical theme in Movie 12.

For me the movies and OVAs a very nice extension to the Anime.

IMO there's no reason to seperate them.

• Upvote 1

For me,personally, all movies and OVAs are an extension to the canon cause none of them changes everything really important for me in my opinion.

There are some different things but still most of them could match to the canon.

I love every movie and OVA- each is different and has another focus.

I like some of them even bit more than some episodes.

Plus each character is the same.

Besides for me the manga/anime is not really more realistic than the movies.

IMO Detective Conan is mostly realistic but has some "exaggerated elements".

Like sometimes you just think Conan is veryyyyy lucky. :razz:

But for me it's okay, it's an anime.

Fortunately,it's no serious documentation.That would be dry and boring for me.

Furtnermore I don't want to compare it with other movies or something else.

I'm just happy how it is. :)

And Gosho has big influence on each movie- He is working on the mangas,the movies and the episodes are made from the manga except the fillers.

@angelranchan

Shinichi's official birthday is May 4th in the manga and in the movies (mentioned in the 1st and 3rd)

@IHKF

I love the character development in the movies,too.

Also the possibilities to have different focuses like the friendship theme in Movie 11 or the musical theme in Movie 12.

For me the movies and OVAs a very nice extension to the Anime.

IMO there's no reason to seperate them.

1) most, if not all, movies and ovas screw horribly with manga canon, especially character dynamics.

2) Gosho has never officially stated the date of Shinichi's birthday in manga. It has only been mentioned in the movies which are not canon.

The movies can never be canon nor the ovas. The anime originals could possibly fit with movies, but those too are not canon. So long as the material was not written by Gosho, it is not canon, and rightly so.

Edit: And ONE MORE THING! Gosho has nothing at all to do with the movies, except doing ONE or TWO key frames per movie and the poster. He has nothing to do with the story what so ever except for the fact that he owns the series and the characters. TMS is licensing the series for the purpose of making the anime and movies. The two are completely separate.

• Upvote 2

1) most, if not all, movies and ovas screw horribly with manga canon, especially character dynamics.

2) Gosho has never officially stated the date of Shinichi's birthday in manga. It has only been mentioned in the movies which are not canon.

The movies can never be canon nor the ovas. The anime originals could possibly fit with movies, but those too are not canon. So long as the material was not written by Gosho, it is not canon, and rightly so.

Edit: And ONE MORE THING! Gosho has nothing at all to do with the movies, except doing ONE or TWO key frames per movie and the poster. He has nothing to do with the story what so ever except for the fact that he owns the series and the characters. TMS is licensing the series for the purpose of making the anime and movies. The two are completely separate.

1) I don't think so.For me the characters appear to be the same.

There are some different details,like in Movie 12 they say that Conan has perfect pitch and they don't do that in the manga but even that might be possible:

In the episode 385 Conan has an argument with Ran about the notes of Anokata's number.

In the episode 387 we can see that Conan was right although Ran is more musical (singing,playing piano).

Haga tells Conan that he got "good ears".It's not that easy to define the notes even if you're not musical.

So there's a good chance that Conan really has perfect pitch.

For me the movies/OVAs/fillers are well-made and they don't disturb the manga/regular episodes.

Of course,it's difficult to convert a manga to an anime.But comparing to other animes it's really close to the manga which I really like.

Sometimes filler appear to play in another month or something like that but the time line in Detective Conan is anyway really complicated.

2)Volume 48,Chapter 11 - Shinichi's birthday is mentioned.

3)Surely,Gosho does not make the entire movie but he has a big influence on it.

It seems like he is "overseeing" the whole production.

In 2011 in an interview he said that he is proud of movie 5 and he spoke about suggestions he made

for movie 15,drawing Shinichi's face for a scene and giving Conan a phrase from the manga that he liked.

So you see he is involved in the process.

Besides I don't think that they can make Ran blonde, Akemi alive or change detective agency just because they want it.

But how you write it seems like the movies would be totally apart in a different world but for me it's not the case.

I know that movies are in way separate ,plus I always wrote "For me" or "IMO" they are an extension to the canon.

• Upvote 1

1) I don't think so.For me the characters appear to be the same.

There are some different details,like in Movie 12 they say that Conan has perfect pitch and they don't do that in the manga but even that might be possible:

In the episode 385 Conan has an argument with Ran about the notes of Anokata's number.

In the episode 387 we can see that Conan was right although Ran is more musical (singing,playing piano).

Haga tells Conan that he got "good ears".It's not that easy to define the notes even if you're not musical.

So there's a good chance that Conan really has perfect pitch.

For me the movies/OVAs/fillers are well-made and they don't disturb the manga/regular episodes.

Of course,it's difficult to convert a manga to an anime.But comparing to other animes it's really close to the manga which I really like.

Sometimes filler appear to play in another month or something like that but the time line in Detective Conan is anyway really complicated.

2)Volume 48,Chapter 11 - Shinichi's birthday is mentioned.

3)Surely,Gosho does not make the entire movie but he has a big influence on it.

It seems like he is "overseeing" the whole production.

In 2011 in an interview he said that he is proud of movie 5 and he spoke about suggestions he made

for movie 15,drawing Shinichi's face for a scene and giving Conan a phrase from the manga that he liked.

So you see he is involved in the process.

Besides I don't think that they can make Ran blonde, Akemi alive or change detective agency just because they want it.

But how you write it seems like the movies would be totally apart in a different world but for me it's not the case.

I know that movies are in way separate ,plus I always wrote "For me" or "IMO" they are an extension to the canon.

Chapter 11 you say? How is that possible? All volumes have 10 files in them. ALL OF THEM. So please link to the image of the scan that states Shinichi's birthday.

And the character dynamics are screwed up. Believe me, they don't act as they would, and Conan especially is made far too perfect.

EDIT: Apparently his birthday was stated in Detective Conan Drill. NEVER in the manga.

Edit #2: Yes he makes suggestions, but that does not mean they use those suggestions. Gosho has a lot of pull, but he has nothing to do with the writing. That is why Kid knows who Conan is, why Shinichi learned everything in Hawaii, why half the plots don't make any sense, and why they jump the gun on EVERYTHING. Not to mention the atrocious physics.

Chapter 11 you say? How is that possible? All volumes have 10 files in them. ALL OF THEM. So please link to the image of the scan that states Shinichi's birthday.

And the character dynamics are screwed up. Believe me, they don't act as they would, and Conan especially is made far too perfect.

EDIT: Apparently his birthday was stated in Detective Conan Drill. NEVER in the manga.

For me the characters are not really changed.I sometimes think that Conan acts also too perfect in the manga.

I mean no harm. It's just my personal opinion.

The birthday is mentioned in the "Special Commemoration for the 500th file".

At the moment I have no time to make a scan.

I'm new at the forum and links are at most forums not allowed.

For me the characters are not really changed.I sometimes think that Conan acts also too perfect in the manga.

I mean no harm. It's just my personal opinion.

The birthday is mentioned in the "Special Commemoration for the 500th file".

At the moment I have no time to make a scan.

I'm new at the forum and links are at most forums not allowed.

Links to entire files is not allowed here, but links to individual pages or frames for proof is A-OK here.

And yes, he is pretty perfect in the manga, BUT he has never skateboarded on a rollercoaster, parasailed with a pro at paragliding, shot PERFECTLY to graze a target (lest you count the posthumous kid file where Shinichi fires at the tarp)... I could go on. But sufficed to say, he is far more perfect because of the "I learned it Hawaii" bit than he is in manga canon.

And it isn't all about that, but it is also character interaction (which is a part of dynamics). Basically the way the characters interact with each other is off. The BO would have been outed, Shinichi would be able to sing, and so fourth. The physics in manga canon is at least kinda accurate. In the movies its nonexistant.

Look: here is your hw... read my initial post here.

Feel free to refute anything you please, and I'll get back to you when I have time. My only rule is that I refuse to rewatch unless necessary. I haven't seen most of the movies in years. So my memory is hazy at best for all.

I know what you mean.

Yes,the movies,OVAs are surely not canon but an extension to the canon so that we have another facets of the series.

It's all Detective Conan.:smile:

When Haibara came to the anime she came to the movies etc.

They take Shiratori to the anime.

It belongs together.

And that is the intension of Gosho who observes the production.

Yes,the running gag with Hawaii- but he never deny the Hawaii-thing in the manga/anime. :wink:

I see just more action and dramatic elements in the movies.That's usual for anime movies.

Otherwise it would be boring.

And you know Conan is sometimes exaggerated.

I don't take it that serious cause it's an anime:

there are a lot fictional things like the APTX (Gosho said it himself),too much luck,Conans and other characters' perfectness etc...

And Shinichi is also not musical in the movies.

He can sing or shout just tones in both anime and movie 12 but to be musical you have to connect tones to a melody in a beautiful way.

So for me there's no contradiction.

I know what you mean.

Yes,the movies,OVAs are surely not canon but an extension to the canon so that we have another facets of the series.

It's all Detective Conan.:smile:

When Haibara came to the anime she came to the movies etc.

They take Shiratori to the anime.

It belongs together.

And that is the intension of Gosho who observes the production.

Yes,the running gag with Hawaii- but he never deny the Hawaii-thing in the manga/anime. :wink:

I see just more action and dramatic elements in the movies.That's usual for anime movies.

Otherwise it would be boring.

And you know Conan is sometimes exaggerated.

I don't take it that serious cause it's an anime:

there are a lot fictional things like the APTX (Gosho said it himself),too much luck,Conans and other characters' perfectness etc...

And Shinichi is also not musical in the movies.

He can sing or shout just tones in both anime and movie 12 but to be musical you have to connect tones to a melody in a beautiful way.

So for me there's no contradiction.

Oh see that is different. Gosho does observe and take specific things that he feels can be used. But that is far from movies and ovas being canon in any way.

And I feel bad for you if you think a movie needs to be that way to be exciting. That is why the DC movies will always be second rate to me.

Already did that :). If I was up to rewatching them I'm sure my original post would triple in length. However, the reason why Gosho would never make any movie canon is because they screw up his already defined characters. They are basically fan fiction, they make his characters look better than they actually are to please the fans. It is great for sales, but not from a story standpoint. Having characters that are too perfect makes for a boring story because there can be no conflict. Ever notice how the situations in the movies are 100 times worse than in the manga? It isn't because it is a movie, and movies are supposed to be that way. It is called "bad writing." When you can't write in actual tension and conflict to arise to a believable climax, you create one, which is what the movie writers do every movie. It is why I would never rate any DC movie above a 6/7 on a scale of 1-10. And a 7 is really pushing it, and only one or two movies would be 6/10. Most of the movies would fall into the 1-5/10. (but that doesn't mean that they are unenjoyable, but comparing them to almost any other movie I have seen in the mystery genre kills them, just watch a movie like the Maltese Falcon to see what I mean)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Having characters that are too perfect? The problem to me sounds like some of you guys are having a hard time suspending disbelief; which is what we do for MOST movies. Even the "realistic" ones. The movies aren't spectacular, but their still entertaining. I do not think it's because of bad writing. I think it's because I'm not the target audience for this type of movie or show. I like Conan, the show or movie, because it carries with it a nostalgic feeling. If I were to sit and watch each movie (or episode) for that matter, with your attitude; I'd probably stop watching the shows and films altogether. Don't forget to have fun watching this stuff.

And comparing a Japanese, family movie to The Maltese Falcon is a joke in itself. Of course it's going to pale in comparison.

• Upvote 1

Having characters that are too perfect? The problem to me sounds like some of you guys are having a hard time suspending disbelief; which is what we do for MOST movies. Even the "realistic" ones. The movies aren't spectacular, but their still entertaining. I do not think it's because of bad writing. I think it's because I'm not the target audience for this type of movie or show. I like Conan, the show or movie, because it carries with it a nostalgic feeling. If I were to sit and watch each movie (or episode) for that matter, with your attitude; I'd probably stop watching the shows and films altogether. Don't forget to have fun watching this stuff.

And comparing a Japanese, family movie to The Maltese Falcon is a joke in itself. Of course it's going to pale in comparison.

You know... They are too perfect EVEN WHEN COMPARED TO THE SERIES! I have no problems with suspension of disbelief, except when it goes BEYOND the source material. Which the DC movies ALWAYS do. Seriously... they take the character perfection way too far.

• Upvote 2

And I feel bad for you if you think a movie needs to be that way to be exciting. That is why the DC movies will always be second rate to me.

Sorry but what's wrong with it when I sometimes like action and dramatic scenes?

You don't have to feel bad for me.

I think you just take the whole thing too serious. :wink:

If you are that precise then you could say that in Beika city happen too many murders.

Again Beika city is fiction.

Detective Conan is fiction.

It's an anime movie not a serious documentation.

And most animes have that tale feeling.Conan is even one of the most realistic ones.

Yes,the movies are a bit different (brighter and more dramatic) but I like them that way.

Each movie deals with another topic which I appreciate.

If you don't like them or the OVAs -it's okay but don't talk them down.

It's a matter of taste. :)

• Upvote 1

Sorry but what's wrong with it when I sometimes like action and dramatic scenes?

You don't have to feel bad for me.

I think you just take the whole thing too serious. :wink:

If you are that precise then you could say that in Beika city happen too many murders.

Again Beika city is fiction.

Detective Conan is fiction.

It's an anime movie not a serious documentation.

And most animes have that tale feeling.Conan is even one of the most realistic ones.

Yes,the movies are a bit different (brighter and more dramatic) but I like them that way.

Each movie deals with another topic which I appreciate.

If you don't like them or the OVAs -it's okay but don't talk them down.

It's a matter of taste. :)

I actually like some of them, but they are still second rate IMO.

I just don't like the movies because their murder tricks kinda suck and the "vilians" kinda suck and the characterisation kinda sucks and the whole believability kinda sucks and....

Just...no. No canon. Conan even though unbelievable (APTX) the tricks are always "logical" and believable.

its not a big deal

its not like kid plays any role in DC

Theoretically, KID knows Conan's identity after "Ryoma Gunbelt"... so with all the other goofed elements of the timeline, it's more a matter of whether he actually knew before that, and then M3 would be okay

@Balthazar: I believe that have been disproved by the Mystery Train arc.

@Southpaw: Please tell us what page this is on. I already know that Kid calls Conan 'Meitantei' I know that Conan talks about his mother being an actress and a Ryoma fan, but there is nothing that makes sure, without any doubt, that Kid knows that it is Yukiko. One can hope, but I am hesitant to say it is canon.