Detective Conan World
conankoibito

What was the recent Anime you watched?

Though I'm not really sure watching DC really counts in this thread...

if I said I was, it would probably be noteworthy enough to post here lol. i'm behind by like 200 episodes or so now. 

that being said, i actually did watch something new:

Yugioh Arc-V

zexal, the yugioh continuity before arc-v, really, really sucked. and it was so bad that it was the only yugioh series that i actually dropped (i watched the original, gx, and 5ds to their conclusion, and 5ds actually stands as a personal favorite of mine).

so i was not coming into arc-v with high hopes, that much is true. and the action fields (the new gimmick introduced in arc-v) felt too much like the writers were trying to cover-up ass-pulls, so i was getting kinda worried. 

then fusion summon came back, and i was super shocked. then synchro summon came back, and i was really shocked. xyz summon tagged along for the ride. and for once, the game became much more realistic. for example, the main protagonist actually ends up with a dead hand and has to skip his opening turn because he relies too much on pendulum summon (you set two monsters on the field, and summon as many monsters as you wish as long as all of the levels of the monsters summoned are between the two monsters' pendulum scales), stocked up on high-level monsters, and drew into all the high-level ones and no pendulums. that stuff actually happens.

also, security is much more competent: they actually take down the protagonists! and they also know when they're outgunned, and realize that "hey, can't we just arrest these kids?" and arrest them. so, all in all, arc-v brings back a lot of old nostalgia from all the different summon methods of the past, and that got me interested. forget the new stuff (pendulum and action fields), while also managing to inject some realism into the series.

well, as much realism as possible considering the series is about people battling with cards that summon holographic monsters.

i'm really looking forward to seeing how this series continues to develop. it's not a bad place to start a yugioh watch if you weren't interested before or have since dropped out. there's a lot of interesting divergences from the stock formula and they, for the most part, pay off.

if I said I was, it would probably be noteworthy enough to post here lol. i'm behind by like 200 episodes or so now. 

that being said, i actually did watch something new:

Yugioh Arc-V

zexal, the yugioh continuity before arc-v, really, really sucked. and it was so bad that it was the only yugioh series that i actually dropped (i watched the original, gx, and 5ds to their conclusion, and 5ds actually stands as a personal favorite of mine).

so i was not coming into arc-v with high hopes, that much is true. and the action fields (the new gimmick introduced in arc-v) felt too much like the writers were trying to cover-up ass-pulls, so i was getting kinda worried. 

then fusion summon came back, and i was super shocked. then synchro summon came back, and i was really shocked. xyz summon tagged along for the ride. and for once, the game became much more realistic. for example, the main protagonist actually ends up with a dead hand and has to skip his opening turn because he relies too much on pendulum summon (you set two monsters on the field, and summon as many monsters as you wish as long as all of the levels of the monsters summoned are between the two monsters' pendulum scales), stocked up on high-level monsters, and drew into all the high-level ones and no pendulums. that stuff actually happens.

also, security is much more competent: they actually take down the protagonists! and they also know when they're outgunned, and realize that "hey, can't we just arrest these kids?" and arrest them. so, all in all, arc-v brings back a lot of old nostalgia from all the different summon methods of the past, and that got me interested. forget the new stuff (pendulum and action fields), while also managing to inject some realism into the series.

well, as much realism as possible considering the series is about people battling with cards that summon holographic monsters.

i'm really looking forward to seeing how this series continues to develop. it's not a bad place to start a yugioh watch if you weren't interested before or have since dropped out. there's a lot of interesting divergences from the stock formula and they, for the most part, pay off.

Consider me sold.

Greatest decision you ever made!

I've only seen snippets of that on Animax. Just how good is it? People tell me it once overtook DBZ viewership.

I've only seen snippets of that on Animax. Just how good is it? People tell me it once overtook DBZ viewership.

I don't recall that happening. During the prime of Toonami, DBZ was getting top ratings from their younger audience. YYH was cursed by a bad time slot, plus Toonami edited out a lot due it's dark content (ex: Chapter Black saga.) It's one of, if not, the best shonen anime for me. Great mixture of mystery, horror, romance, character development, etc. Also, it's one of those shows that didn't leave people hanging at the end. 

I don't recall that happening. During the prime of Toonami, DBZ was getting top ratings from their younger audience. YYH was cursed by a bad time slot, plus Toonami edited out a lot due it's dark content (ex: Chapter Black saga.) It's one of, if not, the best shonen anime for me. Great mixture of mystery, horror, romance, character development, etc. Also, it's one of those shows that didn't leave people hanging at the end.

Shounen+Romance? Don't tell me it's basically dense protagonist realizes feelings at the end? :0

Shounen+Romance? Don't tell me it's basically dense protagonist realizes feelings at the end? :0

Nah, not really. I mentioned the romance because it was done well, and not the main focus. You can see the underlying themes within the relationship. Oh I forgot about the music too, which really makes the scenes much better. 

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

i somehow completely did not notice that you listed this at some point. it's certainly interesting to hear an opposing opinion. as of now, madoka stands as my top anime series of all time, so it's quite interesting to hear what you've said about it.

Damn, reading your thoughts on this got me in a real nostalgic mood.

it's actually a fun ride, i would try it. i mean, if you're in just for the pure old yami yugioh nostalgia, that's long gone, but seeing all those old fusion methods is certainly nostalgic.

it's actually a fun ride, i would try it. i mean, if you're in just for the pure old yami yugioh nostalgia, that's long gone, but seeing all those old fusion methods is certainly nostalgic.

3425711f6n7hmqief.gif

I trusted you to make high quality posts Kenzi!  H-How could you do this to me?  Was my trust misplaced this whole time??

tumblr_n6gblvSP5c1rtjc7io1_500.gif

Haha, kidding kidding, it's cool, I was just excited for a minute thinking you had actually binge watched a new series....

Gangsta 

Whoops, you must have posted this here instead of the seasonal anime thread because you wanted to avoid double posting, right?  My b, I'll get around to that after I talk about Psycho-Pass.

Psycho-Pass (season 1, season 2, and movie)

The last non-seasonal anime I've managed to finish this summer.  College is starting up soon, so I may not be posting here for a while.  I've heard some pretty good things about this anime, and came in with relatively high expectations.  Did this anime meet them?  Well, sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't.  The dystopian cyberpunk setting was pretty fantastic, and the premise is intriguing and leaves plenty of room for philosophical exploration and discussion.  The anime is dark and mature, many times relentless with the brooding and despair.  The soundtrack is pretty good and all the opening and ending songs are fantastic.  Unfortunately, this series suffers in more places than one.  The characters aren't particularly likable.  The main rivalry that develops in the first season is forced and certain characterizations of side characters are tropey or underdeveloped.  The animation is, regrettably, rather atrocious.  Some of the most cardboard-like and inconsistent animation I've seen in recent anime.  The movie is better (naturally, something would be wrong if it wasn't) but it's still far from superb work when compared to other full length films.  There are also quite a few plot holes and logical fallacies that take away from the immersion. However, I must admit, the anime does work really well as a philosophical study on human nature and paints a rather intriguing picture of what may meet us in the future if we were to adopt a Sibyl System.  Many feel the second season wasn't as good as the first, but there wasn't really much of a difference in enjoyment for me at least.  The movie on the other hand I didn't like as much as I would have liked.  Though the animation was much improved, the premise and characters weren't nearly as well developed as in the episodes and the pacing was a mess.  All in all, check this series out if you're looking for a dark cyberpunk anime without the simplicity of many of today's moe anime, but don't come in expecting perfection either and you'll probably be able to enjoy it.

Well, aside from Detective Conan (which I am only on episode 273), the last anime I watched was Naruto. I am not quite a fan of the anime due to the fillers, but I sure am an extremely fan of the Mangá (that is sadly over) :P 

Akagami no Shirayukihime

This one's cute. The main couple's moving at a snail's pace half the time but it's still pretty damn cute

Also Lupin III 2015

I heard the opening is essentially gibberish but I still really like it...