Detective Conan World
conankoibito

What was the recent Anime you watched?

Noir

Only watched this because my former English teacher/anime club advisor recommended it.  I regrettably did not think it was nearly as amazing as she did.  The main issue was the pacing.  It was a 26 episode series that had a ton of filler and could have easily been shortened to 13 episodes.  The animation isn't bad and is nearly impressive for the last two episodes, but there are so many stills that it's nothing all that commendable.  The characters are stale, the plot is predictable, and the only redeeming factor is this one OST (and even then I only like it because it's been pounded in my head every single damn episode, I might have just gotten used to it).  It has no blood, poorly done action sequences, no sense of real danger or threat to the main heroines, and it's overall a massive yawn-fest.  Unless you're the type of person who likes to stare at the same painting for twenty minutes at a time, I wouldn't recommend this to you.  2/10; not a 1/10 because at least it doesn't have fanservice.

Going to watch the first two seasons of Working next so I can watch the third season as it airs this summer.  My on-hold list is on-hold until then. 

Working!! is one of those anime you can only watch an episode or two a day of, or else you're going to burn yourself out.  Because of that, I decided to take the time and watch a bunch of movies, one of the them being Redline.  Redline has superb animation, art, and style.  Every frame is high enough quality to be made into a wallpaper, and the art style is so unique you'd have to try pretty hard to mistaken it for another anime's.  The music aided in stylizing the movie, and overall it was a fast-paced adrenaline rush. However, it's also more style over substance, so don't expect to particularly enjoy the plot or the characters.  The story isn't too engaging and the characters are pretty flat, but it's something you can easily turn your mind off for.  All in all, average movie with two brownie points slapped on for its amazing animation.

K 

It's really good. I started watching it about a month ago. I haven't been watching it much recently due to school life and such, but since summer vacation has started, I'm thinking about watching the rest of the episodes. I'm almost finished watching it. It's going to be sad to see the series end so quickly. I wish an anime this good wasn't soo short. D: I don't watch much anime, but I fell in love with K ever since I first watched episode 1. I love the main characters and the story is very interesting.

K 

It's really good. I started watching it about a month ago. I haven't been watching it much recently due to school life and such, but since summer vacation has started, I'm thinking about watching the rest of the episodes. I'm almost finished watching it. It's going to be sad to see the series end so quickly. I wish an anime this good wasn't soo short. D: I don't watch much anime, but I fell in love with K ever since I first watched episode 1. I love the main characters and the story is very interesting.

Never watched K, but I've heard mixed things about it.

You do know there's a movie out (K: Missing Kings) that's a sequel to the original series and a second season (K: Return of Kings) that will be airing in October, right?

I wouldn't exactly say it's ending just yet.

• Upvote 1

Never watched K, but I've heard mixed things about it.

You do know there's a movie out (K: Missing Kings) that's a sequel to the original series and a second season (K: Return of Kings) that will be airing in October, right?

I wouldn't exactly say it's ending just yet.

It's very good. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but once I finished watching the first episode, I was hooked.

No, I didn't know that. :0 Thanks for letting me know. :) I haven't really looked up more on K besides watching it on Netflix, so I had no idea there's a movie and a second season. I'm glad there's more to it. 

Recent anime I watched: Detective Conan (The scarlet series is getting really interesting.)

Working!!

Picked this up once a third season was announced, and I'll be finishing the second before the third one starts airing in a few weeks.  It's kind of fun, but also pretty average.  The animation is clean and consistent, the art is easy on the eyes, and the characters generally manage to break out of the stereotypical molds that you'd expect but maintain a sense of familiarity.  The humor and jokes aren't nearly as fast paced and crazy as the opening makes them out to be, and I don't think I've laughed once yet.  It's a bit of a struggle to binge-watch, but I'm sure I'd like it more if I had the time to space out episodes.  Unfortunately because of the time limit I had set myself regarding the airing of season three, I've been watching more episodes per day than I'd like.  Oh well, maybe the third season will be better paced considering I'll be watching episodes the moment they air, of course.  I'll be posting how I feel about the second season once I finish it. 

Working'!!

Pretty much the same as the first season, so there's not too much to say.  The animation is about the same but there's an improvement in the lighting, coloring, and shading.  I liked it a tad better than the first season as the characters are finally starting to grow on me.  I'm still kind of upset they're shafting the best character, Maya Matsumoto, to cameo status most of the time.  Oh well, the rest of the cast is alright, I guess.  I'm not super hyped about the third season, but I'm certain it'll be at least a fun, casual watch.

Resuming Toradora, and it's kind of meh for now.  We'll see how it develops. 

Instead of getting caught up in the airing series I'm behind in I rewatched two episodes of Oofuri 

I forgot how much I love this show sobs my tiny baseball children are precious

All I could think of while watching it was this though,, , , , ,

tumblr_npws9tgJyF1qivk0so1_500.jpg

Just started Gintama last night after hearing some good things about it, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Other than Detective Conan and Magic Kaito, this is the first anime I've watched in about a decade. Maybe I'll stick with it.

Just started Gintama last night after hearing some good things about it, and I'm enjoying it so far.

Other than Detective Conan and Magic Kaito, this is the first anime I've watched in about a decade. Maybe I'll stick with it.

You need to get out more stay inside more.  You're missing out on a ton of stuff.  Anime has really changed these past few years.

--

Toradora!

Finally got around to finishing this, and I guess it was alright.  The animation is consistent and occasionally the sakuga is superb.  The romance was decent, but I like it less than Nagi no Asukara's.  The characters in Toradora were a little too extreme and little too annoying for a slice of life like this.  The music was good, and while the pacing felt off for the first half of the series the second half was solid.  All in all, I really want to give it a 6.5, but MAL doesn't allow that.  I'm in a generous mood, so a 7 it is.  Unless you're a sucker for SOL romances, I'd recommend you stay away.  There's nothing too memorable about it, though it's definitely not bad for an introductory anime.  

Not sure what I'll be watching next.  The Disney trip will get in the way of things, so I suppose I'll wait and choose something once I'm back.   

You need to get out more stay inside more.  You're missing out on a ton of stuff.  Anime has really changed these past few years.

Well, I've never really been a fan of anime (generally speaking). That said, I've never really made an actual effort to really get involved with any. Excluding DC & MK, the last time I watched any anime was when some of the "older" shows were aired on Adult Swim around the same time as "Case Closed".

The last one I remembered that I ever finished was FLCL, and it was only 6 episodes :P  

Perhaps I'll change my ways, or maybe that'll just be me having my mid-life crisis  :lol:

Well, I've never really been a fan of anime (generally speaking). That said, I've never really made an actual effort to really get involved with any. Excluding DC & MK, the last time I watched any anime was when some of the "older" shows were aired on Adult Swim around the same time as "Case Closed".

The last one I remembered that I ever finished was FLCL, and it was only 6 episodes :P  

Perhaps I'll change my ways, or maybe that'll just be me having my mid-life crisis  :lol:

If you're not a fan of anime in general then there's no need to force yourself.  Check if out if you have time and if you're really curious, but unfortunately anime follows Sturgeon's law so you're going to have to do some digging to find quality work to your tastes.

And FLCL was awesome.  It's considered by many to be a classic and it's aged really well.

Ping Pong the Animation

holy frick it's a masterpiece

definitely going on my list of all time favorites

11 out of 10

the art/animation is also fabulous, not even kidding

also, best ED

Little Witch Academia

was predictable as hell but I still enjoyed every second because Disney vibes

I have a soft spot for those, heh

Wolf Children

When I first heard about it, I thought the movie was going to be some screwy Twilight and Princess Mononoke crossover, but it's actually pretty good.

It lacked depth though

Fate/stay night

oh man, I really felt like I was missing out since I was an AO watcher

and the more I think about it, the less sense it makes

I still can't get over how the masters seem to be more powerful than the servants in certain scenes. I mean, if that's the case, why have servants at all. Fight scenes were still fantastic though, no doubt about that.

The suspension of disbelief is also really strong in the second season. Might have to revoke my 9. The first season was a lot better after some thought.

actually, it's probably because my anime bingeing finally gave me a point of comparison for this

Levi's backstory

Pretty predictable, but I've always enjoyed watching backstories and the inner workings of characters

Hetalia: The World Twinkle (wtf kind of title is this)

bored to tears, and I'm dropping it.

the fandom is disgusting for eating up all this bs the creators pull out of their arses

the fact that the creators will cater to the fandom's every whim by creating this bs is also disgusting

honestly, look at how completely one-sided this chart is

really? you're going to blindly rate 10s all for a 5 min cat rendition of the characters??

all logic has been thrown out the window. the fandom is insane. I don't know why I even bothered.

(sorry for this random wall of text; I was just really frustrated with what this series has become)

SAO loljk

gigguk killed me a 4:05

had to pause the video at 4:27 because I was laughing so much

I know SAO is supposed to be really bad, but if I ever decide to watch it I'll never be able to take any scenes with this OST seriously

RIP SAO's supposedly meaningful fight scenes

...and that's about the extent of my summer bingeing

probably not going to watch anything else for the rest of the summer unless there's something that really catches my eye

oh, and because it's summer, I finally took the liberty to use a customized MAL layout

really digging it at the moment

Detective Conan

Baka and Test - I watched the first episode of season 2 in English, after a few years of watching episode one in Japanese a long time ago. It's not as funny as it used to be when I first watched season 1 in 2011, but I might give episode 2 a try. I think I didn't really like episode 1 much because it involved going to the beach, and those episodes are usually predictable in comedy anime. And maybe because I haven't been around any other anime besides Detective Conan for a long time. I laughed a little at some of the jokes the characters said, though.

Non Non Biyori Repeat

it's.... it's not called NNB Repeat because it literally takes place during the same year as the first season right? It seems to be all new content though so I can't be too salty about this but I was hoping the second season would build on the already established relationship the characters had built over the first season :/

It seems the best way to cure sadness is binge eating watching anime.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya (seasons 1 and 2) 

Someone out there had the brilliant idea of writing a series based on Fate that answered the question: What if the Holy Grail War never happened and Illyasviel von Einzbern became a mahou shoujou instead?  For whatever reason, this premise works... kind of.  Characters from Fate/Zero, Fate/stay night, and Fate/hollow ataraxia all come together in this ridiculous spin-off that still manages to maintain the rules of the Nasuverse.  The first season is honestly not very good.  The plot is predictable, the characters are flat and kind of annoying, and the animation is poor.  However, if you're patient enough to get to the second season, you'll be in for a surprise.  The action scenes are well choreographed and the animation is improved.  The newly developed premise is far better than the first season's, and the characters begin to grow on you.  While there is loli and yuri fanservice in both, more so in the second season though, it's something that can be overlooked.  The third season comes out in a few days, and I anticipate its release.  I'm only hoping it's more like the second season and less like the first.  Furthermore, if you're looking to get into the Fate series, this is not the place to start. While it can be treated as a stand alone as it doesn't require knowledge of F/Z, F/sn, or F/ha to understand, a lot of subtle references to the canon series will be missed and the experience won't be nearly as good.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

Another mahou shoujo series with a star in the title, I marathoned whole thing in nearly a day.  This is an anime that has gotten a lot of attention recently for being a dark magical girl anime not to be judged by its cover.  Unfortunately, because everyone has said it's going to be dark, that bit's already spoiled.  After really liking Fate/Zero, I was hoping to like Urobuchi's take on this as well, but unfortunately not even Yuki Kajiura's OST could save this anime from flaws.  First of all, the characters aren't likeable despite what people say about Homura and their interactions are unbelievable.  Motives and reasons for doing things are forced and manipulative, so there's no real emotional attachment to anything.  While the climax was grand and executed nicely, since it was mainly style over substance in an anime I was expecting to be deep and meaningful, it didn't hit home.  Also, while I can't say this outright for those who might watch this anyway and don't want to be spoiled, a plot twist near the end of the series introduced a concept so overused and so easy to mess up.  As expected, it wasn't executed as well as it could have.  The animation is generally pretty good, and the style is very Shaft-esque, so it won't be trippy to those used to how they animate things.  Not something I'd personally recommend, but you could do worse.  At least there's no fan service.

Kara no Kyoukai

I binge watched the entire series (the seven movies plus the epilogue plus the side-story movie plus some other small stuff) yesterday.  After Fate, I wanted to expand my knowledge of the Nasuverse and so I turned to Kara no Kyoukai, since it's the only one with a proper adaptation (what Tsukihime anime?).  All in all, it was good.  While the premise and plot didn't quite intrigue me as much as Fate's, the story is a lot grittier.  It's not for the weak of heart, as they don't censor the blood, gore, dismembered limbs, and other stuff at all (it's a movie series of course).  The characters aren't too bad, with the highlight of course being Shiki.  The music is fantastic.  The best work Yuki Kajiura has ever done (sorry Fate/Zero, your OST was topped).  The ending songs of Kalafina's were also fantastic.  The animation was good, too.  If you were impressed by ufotable's F/Z and UBW, then this is right up your alley.  Same character designs as well.  While there weren't as many fight scenes as the Fate series, given this isn't about a war, the ones that are there look nice.  It's a convoluted non-linear story, so if you're new to anime and don't have the patience to sit through Nasu's typical style, I wouldn't recommend you watch this.  While there was no single "weak" movies in the series, the obvious standout is the fifth one which, while the most abstract of all, is without a doubt the strongest.  I personally wouldn't recommend this as your first anime into the Nasuverse, but if you've seen the Fate series and liked it then this should be entertaining.

I'll probably watch Robotics;Notes next, as I'm running short on dropped anime to pick back up.

DC

Good timing mate, was just about to post something.  Though I'm not really sure watching DC really counts in this thread...

Robotics;Notes

Finished up the last seven episodes today, and while I'm waiting for Ranpo Kitan to air (it's taking a while to be uploaded, maybe it's delayed?) I decided it would be a good idea to stop by DCW and post my thoughts since it's fresh in mind.  It's difficult to live up the expectations that a series like Steins;Gate sets, and Robotics;Notes struggles like any other show would.  It is not nearly cohesive or believable or intricate as Steins;Gate, but that doesn't mean it's a bad series.  If you go in with realistic expectations, there's a lot in here to enjoy.  First of the all, and art and animation is clean.  No major hiccups or budget shortages, which is good.  The characters aren't too great, since they're all pretty trope-y and forgettable, but they're not intolerable either.  The plot is decently intriguing and its boosted by the excellent directing and soundtrack.  I'm not too familiar with the director, but he did a great job.  I only know the composer from Death Parade and Blood Lad, but he's proving to be quite the capable musician.  Very good work in making the tense moments tense and the exciting moments exciting.  The slice of life moments were fine, nothing to speak of there.  The plot gets almost a bit too big for the show's own good, but the mystery building was really well done.  There are plot holes, sure, but no more than pretty much every other show.  All in all, it's something you should check out if the premise intrigues you.  It only receives hate because it wasn't the next Steins;Gate, but coming in with those expectations was an obvious mistake in the first place.  This show, when treated as a standalone, holds up pretty well.

I'll watch Psycho-Pass next, and with that my On Hold and Plan to Watch lists will have been cleared!  (Of everything expect for DC and One Piece, since I'm reading their respective manga versions and so I don't count those series as being "on hold" even if they are on my On Hold list.)