Detective Conan World
Lovestruck

What's the last movie you saw?

Tekkon Kinkreet

All throughout the movie I couldn't help but think, "Man, these characters look a lot like those in that Ping Pong anime."  After looking it up, I realized it wasn't just a coincidence.  The manga this movie was based off of was written by the same man who wrote the Ping Pong manga that Ping Pong: The Animation was based off of.  Ahhh, it all makes sense now.  This was an interesting movie, to say the least.  As expected of the Ping Pong man, the character designs are very simplistic and, generally speaking, unattractive.  But the animation and the scenery are where this movie stands out.  The frames are blurred in such a way that gives the fast paced and frantic movements a smooth look and the background art is fantastic, in both the "amazing" sense and the "crazy" sense.  This movie provided more of a dream-like and visceral atmosphere than even Paprika did, and Paprika is the original Inception.  The background draws you in, and makes you feel like part of the story.  It's very difficult for movies, anime especially, to be able to pull this off.  While the plot can sometimes be predictable, the high-tension, raw emotion of the characters as brought to life through the amazing directing makes up for it.  This was a fascinating movie to watch late Tuesday night as a way to officially end my fall break.  I'm curious to see how this will hold up to Ping Pong.

I watched Die Abenteuer Des Prinzen Achmed which is the oldest surviving animated feature film. Two other, full length animated movies were made before it, but those are considered to be lost. The movie took three years to produce and had up to 24 frames per second. It was released in Germany in 1926, and in New York in 1931. The mirror of it I watched unfortunately didn't have the original music, but that might be because, like how a lot of silent films did, it might've had live music played by musicians in the theater itself. The film did have text cards every now and then. Aside from my German being incredibly limited, the font they chose was really hard to read at times. I was able to follow along somewhat by just watching, but being able to scan the cards for words I recognized definitely helped. The entire thing used silhouette animation which also occasionally made it hard to tell what was going on, but overall it looked really nice. The story wasn't anything great, it was heavily influenced by One Thousand and One Nights and just generally felt very fairy tale-y. 

For being only about an hour long, considering just how old this movie is, it was pretty alright. While it's nothing mind blowing by today's standards, back in 1926 this had to have been super high tech. It's crazy to think that this only came out 12 years before Disney's Snow White.

TL;DR I liked it

giphy.gif

My Sweet Orange Tree

*cries*

This is my mom's favorite book, so, after years of her telling me to read it, I finally did (the Spanish version of the book) and watched the 2012 film adaptation.

Re-watched Clue after having not seen it for four years, and it's just as fun as I remembered it!  As for first time watches...

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete

This is the closest thing anime has to a mindless Hollywood flick.  It's insane and ridiculous action scenes almost from the very start to the very end, with only a loose and somewhat nonsensical plot to tie it together.  The CGI movie takes place after the events of the FFVII video game, though knowledge of the movie isn't technically necessary to enjoy the movie, as the opening narrative summarizes the game's events sufficiently.  You'll most likely appreciate some of the subtleties more, in terms of soundtrack and characters, if you've played the games though.  Speaking of characters, as someone who hasn't played the game, they were all one-dimensional and underdeveloped.  Cloud's internal struggles were a bore and didn't make much sense, the villains were your standard action-flick baddies, and the supporting cast fit stereotypical molds.  The plot, as I mentioned before, was a mess.  It made sense and I followed it for the most part, but there were still a lot of plot holes and decisions and actions often felt random and without thought.  However, despite all this, the action scenes were admittedly fantastic.  The fights ranged from one-on-one sword/fist fights, chaotic group battles against monsters, and bike chases across freeway systems and cities; generally stuff you'd expect to find in an action film, but they were amazingly executed.  The action scenes were fast, high-octane, exhilarating, and physics defying.  Was it unrealistic?  Entirely.  Did it seem choreographed too well and character strengths and abilities never remained consistent?  Definitely.  But since the plot was a shot full of holes and the characters were a snorefest, the action scenes fit right in and managed to make the overall movie experience rather decent.  This was far from a good movie, but it was fun and delivered exactly what I wanted: an exciting action film I can turn my mind off to and enjoy for its flashiness.

Re-watched Interstellar, and it's a lot better the second time.

Probably because I used subtitles this time and actually understood what they were mumbling about.

I watched Ant-Man and Wolf Children a couple days ago, both of which were very generic.

Ant-Man had a lot of superhero tropes, a plot that was uninspired, and humor that was predictable.  The action scenes were quite fun; not very creative or awe inspiring but still pretty fun.  It's a fine watch if you're into Marvel, but since I'm not I really couldn't care less about the cameos and references. I wouldn't recommend it, but you could definitely do worse.

Wolf Children wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped it would be, and is honestly my least favorite of Mamoru Hosoda's work.  It's slow paced and a bit boring, even more so than 5 Centimeters Per Second and The Dog of Flanders.  It wasn't nearly as emotional or dramatic as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time or Summer Wars either.  It wasn't a bad movie (much like Ant-Man you could do a lot worse) but it's so bland and plays it so safe there's nothing about it I'll remember a few months from now.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Literally just finished watching this a few hours ago, and I have to say it was pretty good.  It's been a long time since I've watched a Star Wars movie, but even so this was definitely one of the better films.  The CGI was much better, the action scenes were pretty solid, and John Williams did a fine job with the soundtrack.  I really liked the new characters and feel that they add a lot to the franchise, more so than the characters that were introduced in the prequel trilogy.  My biggest complaint was that the movie catered a bit too much to fans of the original trilogy and therefore felt somewhat unoriginal and predictable.  Still, it was an enjoyable movie and I anticipate the eighth film in 2017.

The Martian

Yes! was finally able to watch it and I'm not disappointed. As a lover of Science especially Astronomy stuffs, It is a really really awesome movie. I dunno, IMO, this was a more interesting than Interstellar. The drama and the action in this film is really well balanced compared to the latter.

On another note, lol, why must Matt Damon always be the one stranded somewhere? xD Also, his weight lost was the most impressive thing in the movie. (Dunno tho if it's real or just special effects)

I rate 10/10