Detective Conan World
Lovestruck

What's the last movie you saw?

Big Hero 6

Pretty standard Disney movie.  Rather predictable and good for the kiddies, but it's only so deep.  However, very impressive visuals and facial expressions.  It was a fun watch just for the experience, but it's miss-able if you're short on time and only want to hit up the really impressive stuff. 

I recently watched Flatland in my calc class (a movie adaptation of Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions)

It did a pretty nice job breaking down the concept of different dimensions through a 2-D viewpoint.

The cross-section of a "hyper-sphere" (or a 4-D sphere in a 3-D space) can be simplified to an inflating/deflating balloon.

Ahahaha, it made me think a bit.

I recently watched Flatland in my calc class (a movie adaptation of Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions)

It did a pretty nice job breaking down the concept of different dimensions through a 2-D viewpoint.

The cross-section of a "hyper-sphere" (or a 4-D sphere in a 3-D space) can be simplified to an inflating/deflating balloon.

Ahahaha, it made me think a bit.

You're awesome Kenzi, thanks for delivering, haha!

Shakespeare in Love

Only watched the first few minutes of this, because I guess my Lit teacher just felt like not showing us the rest.  Can't really say much from this little preview, but it's an interesting comedic take on how Shakespeare came to be as popular as he did, I think.  Nothing amazing, but in theory it probably would have been a pretty solid movie.  Didn't intrigue me enough to finish it on my own time though.

Emma

Why are all of Jane Austen's works the same?  Seriously, there were so many parallel between Emma and Pride and Prejudice, I thought she was ripping off herself.  Bit of an aged movie and not directly quite as dramatically or stylistically as P&P, but then again I don't think the course material was probably all that great either.

Interstellar

Only worthwhile thing we did in physics this entire year was watch this movie.  And even then I ended up watching most of it at home because I wasn't patient enough to wait for the weekend to end.  I've been curious about this movie ever since I've heard pretty solid things about it.  I must say, I was impressed.  The directing was great, and while there are some flaws with character personalities and actions it did enough right to tip it in my favor.  I was impressed by the rather unique and "realistic" take on the relativity aspects, though the philosophical parts did feel a tad bit heavy-handed.  Even small flaws like the earsplitting music swells and the inconsistent aspect ratio didn't bother me.  This was a good movie, and it's worth your time if you're looking for a change of pace from the standard Hollywood fare.

I'm still watching movies in Lit class, because my teacher is super chill like that.  Just started watching Clueless, and modern-day loosely-based version of Emma, and I can't say I particularly like it so far.  The humor hasn't aged very well and the lead character is obnoxious.  I know it's supposed to be a parody of sorts, but jeez...  It still rubs me the wrong way.

Man, I haven't watched this many movies since winter break.  Too bad I still don't have time to get around to what I really want.

New Police Story.

Much better than I remember it being. :D

Thinking of watching an anime movie, but I don't know which. ):

I remember renting that a couple years ago. I'm a Jackie Chan fan so I thought it was pretty good.

Thinking of watching an anime movie, but I don't know which. ):

Time of Eve (Eve no Jikan)

Sword of the Stranger (Stranger: Mukou Hadan)

5 Centimeters per Second (Byousoku 5 Centimeter)

^Can't go wrong with any of these three right here.  If none of these pique your interest, I have a few others I'd also recommend.

So anyway, recently I watched......

Shaun of the Dead

So glad I finished up the Cornetto trilogy.  Hot Fuzz was certifiably amazing, and Shaun of the Dead is equally as good, if not better in certain aspects.  A parody on zombie movies, the movie takes its time setting up the scene before anything life threatening even happens, but the first half is far from boring.  It's exaggerated, keeps you on the edge of your seat, and drops little hints not relevant or important until they finally decide to cap off the "joke" at the end.  It's a movie that needs to be watched at least twice, so all the little nuances in the dialogue and directing can be fully appreciated.  If you're looking for more than just the standard Hollywood blockbuster, watch the entire Cornetto trilogy, starting with this movie right here, before moving on to Hot Fuzz and The World's End.  Speaking of which...

The World's End

A very interesting way to cap off the trilogy, to say the least.  While some of the stylistic and directional quirks that existed in the first two movies don't appear to be in this movie, the general formula is the same.  Take a while to introduce the characters, keep it slow, and then bam hit 'em with the nitro halfway through and don't slow down.  It's over the top, as expected, and the action scenes are definitely far better and more exciting than the previous two's. This movie also felt less like a parody and more like it had a message to teach.  Granted, that doesn't mean Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz didn't have messages, but the main point of those movies was to parody zombie movies and American shoot-em-ups respectively.  The World's End has a central theme that becomes apparent by the end, and I appreciate it for that.  Don't think it's takes itself too seriously, because it's just as crazy and silly as you'd expect from Simon Pegg.

The Killing Room

I really wanted this to be a hidden gem.  While it's hidden, for sure (be honest, you haven't heard of this movie before), it's far from what I'd call a gem. It has its pros, no doubt.  The atmosphere is wonderfully done and the acting is great.  The problems lies mainly in its story telling.  There are a lot of plot holes and things that are done just to make things gritty and dark, with nothing of substance to back it up.  By the end, you're left unsatisfied, and not just because it ends on a cliffhanger.  Some of the plot points just felt convoluted for the sake of getting an emotional response out of the viewer, instead of an intellectual one.  It was an interesting watch, since it's so underground and unheard of, but it didn't move me quite as much as I wanted it to.

Redline

My thoughts on this movie are already covered here.

Lilo & Stitch

I actually didn't really watch this one.  It was playing during Lit class, but since I had already seen it years ago I took the time to do my calc homework instead of pay attention.  I was listening to the movie though, and I guess it seemed like pretty standard Disney stuff.  Fun and all, and good for the kids. 

I remember renting that a couple years ago. I'm a Jackie Chan fan so I thought it was pretty good.

Well it was pretty good, actually better than that. haha

Time of Eve (Eve no Jikan)

Sword of the Stranger (Stranger: Mukou Hadan)

5 Centimeters per Second (Byousoku 5 Centimeter)

^Can't go wrong with any of these three right here.  If none of these pique your interest, I have a few others I'd also recommend.

That first one sounds great, thanks! I've watched Sword of the Stranger already, but yeah it's darn good. ;p

That first one sounds great, thanks! I've watched Sword of the Stranger already, but yeah it's darn good. ;p

Awesome, glad I could help out!

tumblr_mqc7euG3AA1rucc9wo1_500.gif

The last one so far pretty much in full was

The Godfather Part II

To be honest, it was pretty hit and miss for me. Then again, I'm not into

mob movies. I mostly liked the stuff in the past timeline, but some of the

call-back dialogue was pretty clumsy in my opinion.

Then, I tried

The Dirty Dozen

Couldn't even really make it past the beginning, since most

of the characters seemed really unlikable.

Been watching a good bunch of movies lately, listed in the order I watched them:

The Great Dictator - First time watching a Charlie Chaplin film, very different from the movies I'm used to. A very fun movie made as a parody of Hitler and his Nazi Germany in 1940, at the time sparking quite a lot of controversy I imagine. Do not let the black and white pictures scare you from watching it, for it is a very good movie indeed.

The Lego Movie - I love LEGO. ...'nuf said. Seriously though, this was a good laugh as well. It felt just like my childhood all over again.

Time of Eve (Eve no Jikan) - Interesting movie. Androids and the likes have always fascinated me. Just a chill film overall.

Nightcrawler - My brother and I sat down to watch this film, thinking it would be about the X-Men mutant guy of the same name, but we soon found out it was, in fact, not a movie about Nightcrawler the mutant. Nope, it was a very different movie, though that said we weren't the least disappointed when we found out. Very interesting movie with a very interesting, albeit abhorrent protagonist (portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal!). It's not often you come to dislike a protagonist this much, at least not in the way you will come to dislike this guy.

Re-watched Limitless. Still one of my favorite for some reason but mostly because I'm not into watching movies. The "drug that fully uses your brain's capability" part was new to me, although I'm sure it had been done on some TV show/movie before. It just captivated me the first time I watched it and it still does today.

Re-watched Limitless. Still one of my favorite for some reason but mostly because I'm not into watching movies. The "drug that fully uses your brain's capability" part was new to me, although I'm sure it had been done on some TV show/movie before. It just captivated me the first time I watched it and it still does today.

One of my favorites to watch.

Just finished A League of Their Own

,,,I really liked it

as someone who doesn't watch a ton of actual baseball I sure do watch quite a few things about fictional baseball

I saw Inside Out on Friday and I saw Jurassic World today. 

Inside Out was ok! Not the best Pixar movie but it wasn't bad. I liked the theme it had too! Pixar's animation still bothers me though like.. I dunno the character models just look weird to my. 

Jurassic World was alright. My tolerance for those types of movies is very low but it wasn't bad--I didn't dislike it. It should be noted that the theater was terrible and I was very salty during the whole thing which probably made me not like it as much though. But the dinosaurs looked nice! (I wish the triceratops and stegosauruses had gotten more screen time though...) And the unnecessary romantic subplot made me very unhappy  :(

I saw Inside Out on Friday and I saw Jurassic World today. 

Inside Out was ok! Not the best Pixar movie but it wasn't bad. I liked the theme it had too! Pixar's animation still bothers me though like.. I dunno the character models just look weird to my. 

Jurassic World was alright. My tolerance for those types of movies is very low but it wasn't bad--I didn't dislike it. It should be noted that the theater was terrible and I was very salty during the whole thing which probably made me not like it as much though. But the dinosaurs looked nice! (I wish the triceratops and stegosauruses had gotten more screen time though...) And the unnecessary romantic subplot made me very unhappy  :(

Ironically enough, I just saw those two movies myself.

My family was checking out Downtown Disney and we decided to buy some tickets for Jurassic World at the AMC they have there.  We usually don't go to the movies, but my sister's position at Disney got us some discounts, so....  And then we movie hopped on over to Inside Out, haha.

Jurassic World

I watched all the Jurassic Park movies as a kid, and I guess they were alright.  I'm not a huge fan of Jurassic, but this is the first movie in 14 years so of course I'm going to it give it a shot.  All in all, it was okay.  I wish I could say it was horrific and gruesome and heart-pounding, but since it's rated PG-13, there's only so much gore and graphic horror you can expect from this series.  I was never really invested in the plot or the fake the science (really bad fake science at that), but just went along with it anyway.  Not nearly as many characters died as I had hoped would, but that's the case with all Jurassic movies.  The characters were flat and predictable, with no standout actors or anything.  The humor was fine; it's not a comedy of course, so don't expect anything more than a smile here or there.  The ending may bother some people, and it didn't really sit well with me either, but ehhh it was an average movie so whatever.  There's not much else to say without spoiling.  Watch it if you've seen the other Jurassic movies, otherwise you're better off seeing something this summer.

Inside Out

To be blunt, this is one of my favorite movies of all time and definitely the best Pixar movie ever made.  I've even updated my "about me" page to reflect that.  It's been years since I've had that weak-legged feeling after watching a movie, yet Inside Out reminded me just why I love movies so much in the first place.  I remember watching the teaser of this movie and thinking hey, this might be pretty good.  School and college apps got me all worked up and busy, so when summer rolled around and I finally had time to my own, I was so preoccupied with my hobbies that I completely forgot this movie had come out.  I hadn't seen reviews about it and there didn't seem to be that much hype around it, so I came in with zero expectations.  Goodness, was I surprised.  First of all, the little short Pixar always airs before theatrical screenings, in this case titled "Lava", was superb.  It got my in a feelsy mood that carried over into the actual movie.  The animation was as good as you'd expect from Pixar, so there's not much to say there.  However, the storytelling was fantastic.  The characters were lovable.  I'm not one to laugh very easily during movies, but this movie had spot-on gags that had me chuckling right along with the rest of the movie-goers.  Everything was so unique and well put together.  In a world where there exists only standard Hollywood fare and many times cheesy Disney sing-alongs, this movie dared to have a edge that many other movies shy away from.  Perfect for the whole family and not just kids, Inside Out teaches a universal and relatable message.  Unique concepts can fall flat if not executed correctly, but that definitely was not the case here.  This is an amazing movie, and if you have some time and money to spare this summer, I recommend you check it out over any other.