Detective Conan World
Kaitou Kid's Killer

Why Detective Conan is also called Case Closed?

there's a better explanation in the wiki, but it basically boils down to there being legal issues with the naming conventions... unfortunately, it spread to the main characters too, and most of the side characters through episode 50-something

since they had to make the changes for one (the anime), they had to extrapolate the changes for the manga and movies as well :(

Another reason, and I still cannot fathom this, is that FUNimation was afraid of people confusing "Detective Conan" with Conan the Barbarian. Because, that makes sense or something. What idiot is really going to think, "Oh boy, that comic book character is now a DETECTIVE. Imma go stay up late to watch this, Jethro~!"?

Another reason, and I still cannot fathom this, is that FUNimation was afraid of people confusing "Detective Conan" with Conan the Barbarian. Because, that makes sense or something. What idiot is really going to think, "Oh boy, that comic book character is now a DETECTIVE. Imma go stay up late to watch this, Jethro~!"?

'wow... that;s just sad....... who would seriously do that?

See, I thought the legal issue pertained to Conan O'Brien. Not that it makes a difference. I mean Conan is a fairly common name (such as the aformentioned Barbarian and Arthur Conan Doyle).

See, I thought the legal issue pertained to Conan O'Brien. Not that it makes a difference. I mean Conan is a fairly common name (such as the aformentioned Barbarian and Arthur Conan Doyle).

-

I wish conan will be used instead of case closed

I read somewhere that it had to do with copyright laws in America, which made the shows name change to case closed. I cannot give a link to this information since it was awhile ago and cannot recall where it came from.

Is anyone sure of the exact name it interfered with? And why we can't use Shinichi instead of 'Jimmy'? (because as far as I'm aware, I know no Shinichi Kudo in a truly American TV show.)

Is anyone sure of the exact name it interfered with? And why we can't use Shinichi instead of 'Jimmy'? (because as far as I'm aware, I know no Shinichi Kudo in a truly American TV show.)

don't quote me on this, but I thought I heard a while ago that there had been another licensing attempt before FUNi picked it up

It boils down to greed, the produces of Conan the Barbarian tried to sue Funimation for using the name 'Conan' It was originally meant to be a direct translation but due to their greedy asses they screwed everything up. Of course it could easily be countered with "Well you used the name Conan, guess you're in direct violation of what you're trying to sue us for, Sir Conan Doyle tops you you greedy jerks" but it seems here in America everything gets screwed up when it comes to Manga and Anime, Whether its Detective Conan, or DBZ or even Naruto and Inuyasha, it all just gets screwed over when it comes over here.

The whole issue on this is copyright violation. I find it silly because there’s been series that used exact replicas of another series/movie name for their title, when “Detective Conan” really isn’t similar to “Conan the Barbarian.” It’s just a character’s name. :| If people used their thinking caps once in awhile, they’d realize “Detective” isn’t anywhere near “Barbarian.” xD.

Hmm.. perhaps I can put it a bit simpler? In the US market, for fictional characters, the name Conan is trademarked. Because of that, no other work can use the name "Conan" as its title. Conan O'Brien isn't affected because he's a real person but our favorite detective is not :(

While it sounds dumb, the change was probably the easiest way to go. Better than them renaming the series as "Detective Edogawa"... though on second thought...