applepie

Favorite anime style: old vs new

33 members have voted

1. 1. fav art style

• older
    • newer
    • other(?)

just wondering which style is ur fav.

do u enjoy the 1st few seasons softer style?

or the newer, sharper style?

personally i like the older style, the newer is so..............shiny

The new style is pretty nice, but it is a bit shaper for my taste. I liked how that looked about pre-200 eps. Like the hair had more strands and the light coloring/shading. Conan looked cuter and Ran looked prettier :P Besides, I like how their eye color popped out a bit more. The REALLY early style was a cool retro style but the ears were a bit too big for my liking. :mellow:

The new style is pretty nice, but it is a bit shaper for my taste. I liked how that looked about pre-200 eps. Like the hair had more strands and the light coloring/shading. Conan looked cuter and Ran looked prettier :P Besides, I like how their eye color popped out a bit more. The REALLY early style was a cool retro style but the ears were a bit too big for my liking. :mellow:

I agree with this post completely.

In general, I like the newer style. Especially since the drawings for the anime aren't as sloppy as they used to be from around 500-600. After 600, they started to get a bit better, more like the movies.

• Upvote 1

I agree!

Well,

The new style is.. Let's say.. Very clear and .. How can I explain ?

It looks very scary for me!

O and just look at their eyes?!

And advice:-Never watch The new style with HD you will be blind :V

So,Simply I prefer the old..

That's all!~

I don't get why people complain about a crisper, clearer, art style

Not sure whether or not you are referring to me, but I'm not complaining. The new style is awesome, but doesn't it seem TOO clear? TOO shiny? or TOO angler/sharp? That's just my opinion, I hope no one thinks I dislike the new style, but I just stated some reason why other people may prefer the older style(s).

Newer one, definitely. The details are crisper, and the old one just wasn't to my taste. The art itself didn't suck me in until around... ... About Volume 26. I can't watch the first and second movies because I can't stand seeing the art for so long, but the new ones are just so pretty. Conan's cuter, Ran's prettier, Shinichi is more epic... *sigh* I like it sharp and clear. It'll never match up to the art of Death Note and the like, but I still love the newer style. :3

I prefer the newer style because it is more refined, the backgrounds and scenery look nicer, and they've done a bit towards correcting anime coloring errors (e.g. Haibara's auburn, Gin's silver), but the "rainbow tinted" hair colors on the characters bother me at times.

Edit: I like it when the characters had slightly rounder faces and eyes though, but not like it was in the very beginning. I think I like the middle transition point.

I prefer around the 200, 300 episodes in terms of 300, 400 era generally having a lot less moments where, say, Conan looks the size of Takagi's head and stuff. One of my favourite animated cases is 347 because well, it looks so smooth and fits imo (I know that the person who did that episode is by far my favourite), though I know Wakari prob'ly thinks the animation round there was too childish, right? But, the old stuff without the bright colours, but still kind of... new-ish style animation is around the 200, 300 mark so I went for that :) (Also, I really like some of the openings around that point)

When I wanted to watch the older anime episodes, I didn't know how much I missed. I just prefer it because it has like a different atmosphere to the new episodes, Can't really explain and more music is used in the other episodes and I think the newer episodes are getting a bit boring.

What do you think? 

Lets compare

Old Conan

-Darker

-Serious

-Original

New conan

-More complex

-Better movies

-More characters

-More character development

-Better animation

-Amazing background

I kind of prefer new, old is nice though.

actually the old animation is kind of grainy and it hurts my eyes.