• Anime only
    • Both about equally
    • Manga and some occasional Anime
    • Anime and some occasional Manga
  2. 2. Which do you prefer?

• Manga
    • Anime
    • Both equally
  3. 3. Do you think there is a difference between reading the manga and watching the anime

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Do you prefer the manga or the anime? Are there any substantial differences between the two? Or are they more or less equivalent?

I read at least the first 10 volumes of the manga since my best friend collects them. I gotta say, reading the manga is just as frustrating as watching the anime series if you're only relying on the licensed mangas and DVDs in English--I think only 24 or so volumes of the manga have been released by Viz in comparison to around 60 volumes of the Japanese tankoubons released, which is why my best friend switched to ordering Japanese tankoubons after finishing her Japanese courses.

Anyway, because I watched the series before I read the mangas, I favor the anime a little more than the manga. It feels weird to see Ran sporting a somewhat different hairstyle in the first few volumes (as far as I can remember), and Kogoro looks a bit different. The quality of the storytelling and the cases themselves, however, are still pure gem, obviously, and although you can't actually see Conan in action, the manga is still very engaging--and that's what's important, really. XD

I am reading the manga... just picked up volume 28 yesterday :)

one of the things that really gets to me about the manga is that they followed the name translations that were set by the anime... I understand why they did it, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. On that note, I saw that they're changing Kazuha's name for the anime.... so I'm wondering how that will affect the manga, because as of right now, Kazuha is the only (semi)-main character with a Japanese name...

I was really steamed when I saw the name they'd given Haibara... I was in the airport leaving Baltimore after Otakon when I picked up that volume, so I was just getting off the high from being around all of that, and I was about ready to scream -_-;

[edit]

oh... and a little bit of trivia I just remembered... I don't know if you guys know this, but the covers for the English version of the books are largely carried over from the original Japanese, by way of Conan's pose, the background photo, and the character in the keyhole on the back.... and Conan's disembodied head on the spine. The fun part about the spine is that after a while they begin to tell a story all their own, and it's pretty funny to track. A friend of mine told me about it when I started picking them up, so it's something I always look for :)

[/edit]

@above

Why does it steam you that they named Haibara Ai into Anita Hailey? ^_^

because it sounds stupider than the other names they chose... I'm not sure what I would have chosen, but I don't think it would be that

I only read the manga if there are some files about the FBI or the B.O.

For me it gives you more informations and details about what's goin' on and stuff like that,But in the usual crimes I prefer to watch it in the anime series cause seriously you'll get bored while reading it in no time plus the funny scenes are so not funny as in the episodes,Trust me!!

Anyway I'm really looking forward to read file 700! =D

well.. i read manga and watch anime.. i read manga online..

it doesn't seem to have a huge difference to manga and anime when it comes to DC.. usually, the episodes in the the anime are based from the manga chapters.. there are a very few anime original episodes..

DC isn't like other anime series wherein what you read in manga is different from the anime series.. so it's ok whether you read manga or anime in DC.. it's just that manga is more advanced than anime.. but it's better if you do both watching and reading.. :D

i'm just not sure if they are following the correct order of chapters in manga whenever they adapt it in anime.. i guess they don't..

I've read till Chapter 682 but I've stopped reading already. The chapter comes out after such long time and I've already forgotten about the story. :P

I wouldn't think there's any difference between the manga or anime .. I love them both, but if only the manga comes out faster, lol. And I noticed something, the anime's graphic keep on improving! Try comparing the first episode to the ones in the middle. A very big difference. :D

i'm reading the manga and watching the anime. my sister, however, is only watching the anime so i kinda give her vague hints of the "eee" moments like with the FBI and BO. Conan is so awesome! I like both the manga and anime but I really don't like the english versions, especially of the anime. Just how the voice actors dub the characters sends chills down my spine. They pronounce the "japanese" names horribly and don't have enough emotion in their words as do the japanese voice actors or seiyuus. Plus, when the english version Conan is thinking, he suddenly uses his older voice to think his thoughts....that's totally different from the japanese version and just sounds weird to switch so suddenly....

i am really bored waiting for the updates of the manga...sometimes it takes months at a time.im currently reading 725.well, looking forward to movie 14.when will it be released?can anyone tell me the date.hoping i could download it soon.=^_^=

Yoshida

Weee!!! Thankies!!!

I am reading manga and watching anime. I agree with the people who thinks that manga is better than anime. Think about it, the manga is the original series and has a lot more details.

Though I agree that the last chapters have better graphics than the first ones... :D

the latest update of the manga at http://www.mangafox.com/manga/detective_conan was so cool!! I encouraged everyone to read it...

Tomorrow's a WHITE DAY, so if you received a chocolate or something sweet from a loved one last Valentine's day, don't forget to give them something sour tomorrow!! It's your chance to express that the feeling was mutual *sweet* :-D

advance HAPPY WHITE DAY everyone!! :rolleyes:

I'll check out the anime from time to time, but I tend to go with the manga as:

1. It doesn't feel stretched out as a good chunk of anime episodes are anime exclusives.

2. The Manga version of The Shinkansen Bomb Case and The Strange Person Hunt Murder Case actually incorporate The Organization. Plus the anime's modification of those two stories result in a continuity glitch in Game Company Murder Case.

I read at least the first 10 volumes of the manga since my best friend collects them. I gotta say, reading the manga is just as frustrating as watching the anime series if you're only relying on the licensed mangas and DVDs in English--I think only 24 or so volumes of the manga have been released by Viz in comparison to around 60 volumes of the Japanese tankoubons released, which is why my best friend switched to ordering Japanese tankoubons after finishing her Japanese courses.

Anyway, because I watched the series before I read the mangas, I favor the anime a little more than the manga. It feels weird to see Ran sporting a somewhat different hairstyle in the first few volumes (as far as I can remember), and Kogoro looks a bit different. The quality of the storytelling and the cases themselves, however, are still pure gem, obviously, and although you can't actually see Conan in action, the manga is still very engaging--and that's what's important, really. XD

if u don't mind watching the manga series online. u can try mangafox.com. it has latest updated series.

i love both but it is abit tiring watching the anime. since i dont know japanese and have to relied on the subtitles all the time. i prefer manga as it has already been translated. i really wanted to thank those translator. it is nice of them to transalate the mangas and share it to us.

I have read the mangas up to vol 732 and is waiting for 733 to go out and I have also watched the whole season one of the anime. I prefer the mangas as they are usually more complex and is more detailed too. The anime is quite ok too but I still prefer the mangas. This may be because I read mangas first.