Detective Conan World
SwordFighterHM

English or Japanese?

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer watching Detective Conan in english or in japanese?

Japanese all the way. The localized names are a bother, like Booker because he is a book writer is just stupidly ironic. Also the accents they use suck for Megure and all of the Black Organization. Funi has Gin, Vodka, and Tequila sound like a mentally challenged goons. Totally ignoring the fact they are elites in a top criminal organization. So let me end it there but trust me I could go into it more.

Whenever you go from one language to another, there are inevitably some expressions which cannot be translated directly/literally. As such, only the Japanese original preserves the original expressions/meanings 100%. Although the Chinese dub preserves the original characters' names, some of the original Japanese expressions are lost. I would have loved the English dub, except for the fact that not all characters have been "renamed" - either rename them all, or leave them all untouched.

Let me add one more thing: from 1998 until 2000, there was a dubbed version of DC which ran in Latin America, and that version also did not last long - only about 120-130 episodes or so. In that version, some characters' dubbed names were not always consistent, for example Heiji has about three different dubbed names. I also find it funny that they would give Shinichi the English-sounding name of "Bobby Jackson" :lol: .

The folks that like the names will usually come up with a reason or just repeat why Funi change them. Like your name, Jimmy fits because it rhymes with Shinichi. Which is sad because Jimmy isn't even a proper name. The worst I can think of are Harley and Booker as I mentioned before.

The folks that like the names will usually come up with a reason or just repeat why Funi change them. Like your name, Jimmy fits because it rhymes with Shinichi. Which is sad because Jimmy isn't even a proper name. The worst I can think of are Harley and Booker as I mentioned before.

I hate them changing Eri's name into into Eva. Eva sounds like a bad guy(Eva Braun)

ENGLISH ALL ZE WAY i like the English voices better jimmy sounds much better than suchii can't spell it Rachel sound like and actual name unlike ran and they need to change the names to dub it copy right restrictions or something

why english is better

1. this anime has alot of dialog sometimes i just want to get up and get a drink well turning up to audio so i can hear him explaining stuff i don't speak Japanese so i have to keep my eyes glued to the screen every second of the show

2. i speak english if i can watch something in my language i'm gonna watch it in my goddamn language

3.i like the voices better they sound more natural in english and i like the names better they sound like actual names no weird Japanese names

4. there's an ass load of dialog i can't miss i can keep up with it and i don't have to pause to read since i'm a fast reader but its just annoying having to keep up with it all bottom line IF YOU SPEAK ENGLISH YOU SHOULD WATCH IT IN FREAKING ENGLISH i just don't understand why people would like to watch something in a language they don't speak rather than watch it in their own native language

1. The pause feature works wonders. If you are talking about this anime then walking away and just listening to the audio does mean you will miss out on information like hints and clues.

2. So? Watch it in English but don't go all ignorant and state that being in English makes the dub better. Actors have to act well and writers have to write well too, it is a damn shame Funi didn't do either of those for Conan.

3. Is Case Closed the only anime you watch? Cause I can imagine you getting mentally stressed trying to watch the 99% of anime that do not change names.

4. Don't you for one minute tell me what I should listen to just because I speak a language. Reading captions or subtitles is freaking easy and people with more than half a brain are able to read the screen and see what is taking place in the anime. When there a lot of dialogue going on the only thing taking place on screen anyway is a picture on a character just flapping their mouth, there is not a lot of moving around in this anime since it is a mystery show.

Get off your silly English supremacist thinking, you like english fine but in noway does there being an English dub of a show make it mandatory for English speakers to listen to. Learn about the world and that anglo-saxon names are not the only names out there.

That and the voice acting is horrible. The names are silly and it is a good thing Funi dropped Conan so that Viz can stop renaming characters to match the fail dub.

• Upvote 1

Japanese is much better than DUB that f****** English DUB! I really hate DUB f*** that DUB big_3.jpg

i know lots of people who like the dub more than the sub all my friends included don't bash on somthing just because its translated by sound not word f**k Japanese go English

1. The pause feature works wonders. If you are talking about this anime then walking away and just listening to the audio does mean you will miss out on information like hints and clues.

2. So? Watch it in English but don't go all ignorant and state that being in English makes the dub better. Actors have to act well and writers have to write well too, it is a damn shame Funi didn't do either of those for Conan.

3. Is Case Closed the only anime you watch? Cause I can imagine you getting mentally stressed trying to watch the 99% of anime that do not change names.

4. Don't you for one minute tell me what I should listen to just because I speak a language. Reading captions or subtitles is freaking easy and people with more than half a brain are able to read the screen and see what is taking place in the anime. When there a lot of dialogue going on the only thing taking place on screen anyway is a picture on a character just flapping their mouth, there is not a lot of moving around in this anime since it is a mystery show.

Get off your silly English supremacist thinking, you like english fine but in noway does there being an English dub of a show make it mandatory for English speakers to listen to. Learn about the world and that anglo-saxon names are not the only names out there.

That and the voice acting is horrible. The names are silly and it is a good thing Funi dropped Conan so that Viz can stop renaming characters to match the fail dub.

1. yea so i can listen to what their saying just fine and most of the anime is just explaining and if a drop something i have to pause it so i don't miss anything when i could just leave it on and listen to what he's sayin much more convenient

2. funi has perfectly good voice actors and I see nothing wrong with the writing

3.no i've seen loads of the standard anime like trigun fma cowboy bebop dbz code geass death note and even some lesser know animes like stigma of the wind and so on

4.i was just voicing my opinion your opinion seemed retarded since the most of the things you've stated are false and retarded in my eyes btw funi wins did you see how the saved one piece i like the english names better and i think the voice acting's good and most of the voices sound better to me in English than jap and my friends hate reading subtitles they'd rather watch it in english because they don't even notice voice acting and they like tthe english names better also and they think why read subtitles when you can just listen thats what i think to bottom line FunimationFails no you fail funi rules

hahaha voice acting horrible first of i know an assload of anime fans who say that the voices match perfectly and i aggre i think this ones english dub is as good as cowboy bebop ever heard the term weeabo i think it refers to people who wine about a perfectly good dub for no reason they had to change the names due to copyright laws or something also i like the english names better i don't live in japan where everybody has some f**ked up Japanese name that are sometime hard to pronounce or remember some times in anime i can't remember who was named what because they all have some jap name i can in this anime but in some others its hard to remember Japanese names jimmy sounds better than shucii Rachel sounds better than ran so :P and gin says so too

post-4904-12824257124863_thumb.jpg\

GINS A DUBZ MAN :P

1. Either way the pause feature is there and not pausing this anime means you miss stuff. So that is a stupid excuse even people watching Live sports hit pause on DVRs now.

2.You seeing nothing wrong means you don't pay attention to begin with. http://pasta67.webs.com/ is a website made by a guy that mods on Funi.com. It lists all the writing mistakes, bad jokes, inconsistencies, and other kind of errors present in the dub and Conan in general. Despite your ignorance there are problems with the dub. Yeah you keep dreaming that the dumpy fat guy voice and the fake german accent is perfectly fine acting.

3.The names don't flow or feel natural in the context of the show and animation. All the japanese writing, eating octopus, sake, green tea, kneeling, bowing, kendo, and look who it is Harly Hartwell! The names stick out like sore thumbs.

4. The retarded thing is you having to cussing just while trying to make a point. An opinion is not a command like:"IF YOU SPEAK ENGLISH YOU SHOULD WATCH IT IN FREAKING ENGLISH." Wow you have a flock of illiterate friends that agree with you, big deal. The dub of Case Closed flopped because Funi failed in producing a good product.

The Funi dub of OP is only better than 4kids. and that is not much of a complement. The dub still sucked and got kicked off Cartoon Network for being bad. You can say Funi rescued OP but Funi killed Case Closed.

Every long running anime that has 20 or more regular characters and a large quest cast makes the limitations of Funimation very clear, small resources. Case Closed and One Piece are dubbing nightmares for Funimation and fans that with working ears.

What really shows how dumb your conversation is that you use a screenshot from a sub-release of Gin and put a subtitle on it to convey you message. You can't even put up a picture from the Funi version, pathetic.

1. Either way the pause feature is there and not pausing this anime means you miss stuff. So that is a stupid excuse even people watching Live sports hit pause on DVRs now.

2.You seeing nothing wrong means you don't pay attention to begin with. http://pasta67.webs.com/ is a website made by a guy that mods on Funi.com. It lists all the writing mistakes, bad jokes, inconsistencies, and other kind of errors present in the dub and Conan in general. Despite your ignorance there are problems with the dub. Yeah you keep dreaming that the dumpy fat guy voice and the fake german accent is perfectly fine acting.

3.The names don't flow or feel natural in the context of the show and animation. All the japanese writing, eating octopus, sake, green tea, kneeling, bowing, kendo, and look who it is Harly Hartwell! The names stick out like sore thumbs.

4. The retarded thing is you having to cussing just while trying to make a point. An opinion is not a command like:"IF YOU SPEAK ENGLISH YOU SHOULD WATCH IT IN FREAKING ENGLISH." Wow you have a flock of illiterate friends that agree with you, big deal. The dub of Case Closed flopped because Funi failed in producing a good product.

The Funi dub of OP is only better than 4kids. and that is not much of a complement. The dub still sucked and got kicked off Cartoon Network for being bad. You can say Funi rescued OP but Funi killed Case Closed.

Every long running anime that has 20 or more regular characters and a large quest cast makes the limitations of Funimation very clear, small resources. Case Closed and One Piece are dubbing nightmares for Funimation and fans that with working ears.

What really shows how dumb your conversation is that you use a screenshot from a sub-release of Gin and put a subtitle on it to convey you message. You can't even put up a picture from the Funi version, pathetic.

1.it's not about pause its about conveniences you don't have to be illiterate to not want to read subtitles every time a character speaks and the voices to me fit that characters better than the jap one's everyone i know agrees even some hardcore anime fans who watch lots of anime agree also

2.i just checked most of the changes i must admit some of them were stupid i can aggre with you on that

3.i liked the english names better i just finished rewatching where Harley's and conan were in the Sherlock convention i don't even remember what Harley's original name was but i'm pretty sure i'll like Harley heartwel better than his original name just like jimmy sounds better that suchii

4. sorry i got a little carried away and the dub didn't flop wikipedia even calls it by its english name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Closed and for your information lots of people on youtube says this dubs better than the original and some of the episodes changes were retarded but i like the voices better and i like the names better you need to understand my friends are not illiterate my friends couldn't give to s**t's about voice acting or voices and they don't like reading subtitles if they don't have to but they can put up with read highurashi Kai[a subtitles since it's not dubbed yet but he still likes the dub better all i'm saying is funis dub is good so thats why i say dub's better than subs

post-4904-12824368404315_thumb.png

don't **** with the blond hair

BTW I LIKE THE 4KID ONE PIECE OPENING BETTER I FEEL LIKE I"M WATCHIG AN ACCTUAL PIRATE ANIME though pirates and rap don't have anything to do with eatch other still sounds much more fitting for pirates then that upbeat kiddy song crap don't get me wrong one piece openings are good but it's a pirate anime not pokemon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhitYori7SU dose that sound like a pirte aniem opening to you

Really youtube comments are no kind of evidence on anything, ever. Wiki listing the Conan as Case Closed does not prove popularity. That was an argument they had a year ago on naming conventions and they made a new rule. So now any show that gets its name or characters changed in English will have the English ones listed first, that is true for all foreign media now. That is why show specific wikis like this is better than wikipedia.

People that don't know or care about voices, acting, or performance don't matter in the slightest in conversations about voices fitting roles or sounding better. Always picking a dub regardless of quality means you have no way of saying which is better. Not liking subs does not make a dub the better way to enjoy anime, it just makes it the only way some feeble minded people watch anime. There is too many bad accents and generic voices in this dub for me to enjoy it over the sub.

I don't know how long you have been holding on to that link but it is dead. If it is any opening of the original OP then the song pretty much tells you exactly what the show is about and is more fitting than the 4kids rap.

The words to the song talk about gather friends, that is what Luffy is doing, and chasing each others dreams...again that is what the crew does. I don't like the first couple of seasons opening but the newer seasons have a better rhythm.

Really youtube comments are no kind of evidence on anything, ever. Wiki listing the Conan as Case Closed does not prove popularity. That was an argument they had a year ago on naming conventions and they made a new rule. So now any show that gets its name or characters changed in English will have the English ones listed first, that is true for all foreign media now. That is why show specific wikis like this is better than wikipedia.

People that don't know or care about voices, acting, or performance don't matter in the slightest in conversations about voices fitting roles or sounding better. Always picking a dub regardless of quality means you have no way of saying which is better. Not liking subs does not make a dub the better way to enjoy anime, it just makes it the only way some feeble minded people watch anime. There is too many bad accents and generic voices in this dub for me to enjoy it over the sub.

I don't know how long you have been holding on to that link but it is dead. If it is any opening of the original OP then the song pretty much tells you exactly what the show is about and is more fitting than the 4kids rap.

The words to the song talk about gather friends, that is what Luffy is doing, and chasing each others dreams...again that is what the crew does. I don't like the first couple of seasons opening but the newer seasons have a better rhythm.

well actually i'm just stating why i like the English version better and as long as it's not censored I'd watch it in english but i do notice quality and voice acting and i got to say i like all of the voices better than the Japanese ones i'm the kind of guy who can't tell the difference between 1 jap voice actors because i'm to focused on reading subtitles to notice the voices or the voice acting look we could argue all day i think the english versions better my friends do and everybody i know dose so by majority i have more friends that agree with me and people that i know that agree with me more than 36 and thats not including me or the people that voted english is better so TOO ME english is better and in my group of friends and where i live my little world english is better BTW THE ENGLISH VOICES RULE JIMMY ENGLISH VOICE KICKS ASS

This is not a vote or a contest. If you like it more you like it more. You shouldn't don't need your gaggle of friends to support your opinion. Your gaggle of friends don't make you any more right than me. Keeping your reasons for liking the dub to your own opinion and inadequacies works better than ranting that anyone who speaks english is somehow mandated to watching a dub.

Speaking of inadequacies, goodluck with the whole not being able to tell japanese voices apart thing. Maybe one day doctors will come up with a device to cure that problem between your ears.

Enjoy the dub that you admit has stupid changes, while I enjoy the version with less stupid changes. Win win.

Let me also remind everyone again that from 1998 to about 2000, there was a dubbed version in Latin America which substituted hispanic names for the characters, and that version lasted only about 120-130 episodes before going off the air. As such, it shouldn't be surprising that the English dub didn't last long either.

i just think the english dubs better you guys don't agree with my we got into a little argument all i'm saying is the voices in english are better and so are the names :P i'm just stating the truth i can put up with a few changes if it means better names and better voices

post-4904-12825077432631_thumb.jpg

sweet can't wait for him to be in vidictus

If you think the dub is better then join Funimation's forum to praise them for only being able to put out 120 episodes. Coming to a wiki that is titled Detective Conan and has more information on the original version just looks like you are trolling to be offensive.

Besides you already admitted you aren't watching the anime for quality, story, or acting and that any dub anywhere equals "better" for you. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I will continue to look at the real history of problems the dubbed version had that negatively effected it's sales, ratings, and licensing. There clearly wasn't enough supporters of the low quality dub to keep it alive. Maybe you and your friends should have bought more.

EDIT: On a side note. I was checking the settings on this forum and found the ignore function and report features just now...they might come in handy.

guys, please give it a rest... I'm sure the purpose of this thread wasn't to start a flame/troll war

everyone's entitled to their opinion. I personally prefer the original Japanese audio (as I have said), for various reasons.... but I don't condone bashing English-language audio because there have been series (even some licensed by FUNimation, amazingly enough) for which the English dub was rather good. and while the dub of DC wasn't outstanding, it was passable, for the most part

I mean, come on... if they get too far away from the original dialogue, it starts to make no sense in solving the case... but don't get me started on movie 2 - I will never, ever watch that in English because the whole trick with the numbers only makes sense in Japanese

I prefer Japanese over English. English has good voice acting for some of the roles, but some voices are strange, plus the name changes are confusing and the series takes too long (English version has only done 128 of the Japanese episodes, 6 of the movies, and 35 volumes). It's kind of bothersome, so I prefer Japanese, since I don't like the name changes or some of the voices (Ai doesn't sound like a 7 year old girl, but Conan sure does in the English!)

Truthfully id rather watch it in english. :grin:

because i like to lie in bed from time to time and watch episodes, and if i have to read subs i cant do that :!: i will eventually have to watch it in subz but for now ima watch the dub as long as i can XD im gunna hate getting used to new voices tho.

for some animes i prefer the subz Ex Full moon wo sagashite, because the voices fit better, but in this case i feel the voices r fit the characters just fine so i gots no prob with the dub!!:)